• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines flight en route from Amsterdam shot down over Ukraine; no survivors

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperSah

Banned
Why would you assume that would change anything? Do you know what is going on in eastern Ukraine?

Things usually get very personal when their own people are involved.

I recall a similar incident were some Britons were involved in some form of event and all of a sudden, the UK went from "nope" to hands in.

I can't remember what, but it was recent.

Realistically, what are the options here? It seems like this would be a smoking gun to show that Putin is arming the rebels, if that wasn't known before, because he wants Ukraine. Who steps in at this point? We're not going to go to war with Russia, so what are the next steps?

Loud Hawk

Neo Member
This is what BUK system looks like:

qZkfTDQ.jpg

So it's pretty much certain that Russia provided this weapon to the separatists. No other explanation.

Technically that is just the launcher. Pretty useless without the other vehicles needed to complete the "system", the radar and the fire control vehicle.

The rebels have been stating for weeks that they have captured BUK systems from Ukrainian army bases. The Ukrainian army kept saying that those systems weren't combat ready. Either the Ukrainian's are lying there to save face, not unlikely, or they were supplied across the border by the Russians, again not unlikely.

I heard a reporter say that there was a Ukraine military plane in the same area. He speculated that the rebels might have locked the missile onto the wrong plane. Sounds possible to me.

i doubt they could differentiate. some dumb motherfucker on the ground just locked on and fired

this is a horrific mistake by the Malaysians, why were they even flying over such place?

Ding II

I saw a post a few pages back that Fox and/or BBC reported the possibility it was shot down by a military aircraft.

It's possible that the plane was hit by a meteor, or suffered a catastrophic mechanical failure.

But that's not the way the (currently poor and fragmentary) evidence points.

(In other words, news agencies hire talking heads and anchors who are paid to speculate freely in order to fill air time.)

That or captured from Ukraine.

People have already posted a link citing an article about them boasting about having captured a BUK system from Ukraine.

The rebels claimed to have captured one.

They supposedly captured it from Ukrainian forces.

I thought they captured it from an airbase?

Hmm, wasn't aware Ukraine has these missile systems as well.

This makes me sick to my stomach and angry, I don't even know what to say.

The chances we get anygthing from the blackbox is zero as well due to looters,right?

BigAl1992

Do we know yet why the plane was flying in controlled space in the first place?

Related to what I was asking. Why would you want your commercial plane anywhere near that noise?

At 10 Kilometres above the ground and following a narrow corridor between the two countries, it may have drifted off course and they were simply unlucky or it's an unauthorized flightpath and they took their chances. Someone will need to fill us in on the flight paths allowed in Eastern Ukraine.

As for the second question, how are you going to hear anything on the ground at 10 K up in the air and going at cruising speed in a jet plane?

Wow, this Russian news stream is pure fucking scum. Had to shut it off immediately when they started showing a guy opening the passports with nothing blurred out. Pieces of shit.

Realistically, what are the options here? It seems like this would be a smoking gun to show that Putin is arming the rebels, if that wasn't known before, because he wants Ukraine. Who steps in at this point? We're not going to go to war with Russia, so what are the next steps?

The biggest thing I can think of is Europe cutting off gas from Russia and US chocking them to death via economic sanctions.

That would basically make Russia crumble. Which would obviously fuck over Europe as well.

watershed

Banned
Do we have confirmation that is was shot down? It so, there is gonna be an international response to the separatists and it's not gonna be nice.

I Feel sick hearing that there was children on board. What a tragic and terrifying way for someone to die. My heart is sick for the families affected by this senseless tragedy.

Dr.Acula

Banned

Nope, Russians will claim the weapons were Ukrainian, captured by the rebels.

Russia could "secure" the region on behalf of Ukraine, claiming they are unable to do it themselves.

syllogism

23 U.S. citizens on board seems to be accurate

#BREAKING: Number of dead from crash of #MH17 more than 300, includes 23 U.S. citizen: Interior Ministry adviser, quoted by Interfax
- Reuters twitter feed

Sayter

Gemüsepizza;121451707 said:
But did they? It seems the rebels have captured a Ukrainian one.

That could certainly be the case. And if it is I'm curious who taught them how to use it. It seems like a pretty sophisticated piece of equipment. Then again, if they taught themselves that maybe why they couldn't tell a passenger airliner from a military plane.

Technically that is just the launcher. Pretty useless without the other vehicles needed to complete the "system", the radar and the fire control vehicle.

The rebels have been stating for weeks that they have captured BUK systems from Ukrainian army bases. The Ukrainian army kept saying that those systems weren't combat ready. Either the Ukrainian's are lying there to save face, not unlikely, or they were supplied across the border by the Russians, again not unlikely.

Yes and you need people trained in using all this stuff. These systems are not meant to simply be easily stolen and operated, and most will have security functions on the computer portions

The launcher by itself is useless

JCizzle

Reading on twitter that the Ukrainian Foreign Ministery will hold a press conference soon. Also heard that Ukraine sources saying they'll present evidence of Russia's involvement.

"More from Ukraine's Foreign Ministry: "Ukraine will present the evidence of Russian military involvement into the Boeing crash."

https://twitter.com/KiritRadia/statuses/489821497351864320

Hard not to see how this ends very badly for Russia and the Rebels at this point. This one isn't going to slide.

RedShift

Things usually get very personal when their own people are involved.

I recall a similar incident were some Britons were involved in some form of event and all of a sudden, the UK went from "nope" to hands in.

I can't remember what, but it was recent.

Libya possibly?

Griss

Jesus Christ, all those little kids faces in the passports... I feel physically sick, I feel dizzy. This after the murder of those palestinian boys on the beach yesterday, it's a terrible time. I feel so hopeless at times like this. So bloody hopeless. All those kids, whole lives ahead of them, murdered at once, for nothing at all. No reason at all.

Rest in peace.

It won't bring anyone back, but may the families of the victims get justice for this disgusting atrocity.

The Russian stream showed a man opening some of the passports, they were kids from Blaricum [a place here in the Netherlands]. Full pictures and names shown.

It's just surreal, their relatives probably don't even know what happened yet.

Yes, and it's probably completely inappropriate to show all of this, but anyone with loved ones on board will know immediately that they have been lost once they turn on their phone / TV etc. They aren't going to find out on Russian TV, and if they are, they'll know immediately from the headline anyway.

Acorn

The biggest thing I can think of is Europe cutting off gas from Russia and US chocking them to death via economic sanctions.

That would basically make Russia crumble. Which would obviously fuck over Europe as well.
We (Europe) aren't going to cripple ourselves in the name of hurting Russia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom