• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines flight en route from Amsterdam shot down over Ukraine; no survivors

Status
Not open for further replies.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
BBC: 18:36: The route taken by flight MH17 was a well-flown route between Europe and Asia, a pilot tells BBC transport correspondent Richard Westcott. He said that any troops should have known the path was full of civilian aircraft.

Archer

23 americans.

Wow whoever is responsible is fucked

The US won't do shit other than say some mean words. Twenty-three lives are not enough for the pol/mil industrial complex to change their policy. As cold as it is to say/hear that, it's the truth.

But yes, whoever is responsible is proper fucked. Just not so much by the US.

Not enough.

And it doesn't matter if they were given by Russia or stolen.
Russia is fully to blame here. They have been escalating this for far too long unchecked.
What is it was Ukraine that accidently shot it down?

I'm not onboard the blame wagon until they figure out what actually happened. Right now people on simply blaming the other side because they support a different faction.

Prez

Nope, Russians will claim the weapons were Ukrainian, captured by the rebels.

Russia could "secure" the region on behalf of Ukraine, claiming they are unable to do it themselves.

Russia is to blame as well. I suggest deporting the rebel scum to Russia and restore Ukraine the way it was. Add US military presence at the Russia-Ukraine border as well.

JCizzle

Nope, Russians will claim the weapons were Ukrainian, captured by the rebels.

Russia could "secure" the region on behalf of Ukraine, claiming they are unable to do it themselves.

There's not a chance in hell of that happening after this. They'd be creating WW3.

Realistically, what are the options here? It seems like this would be a smoking gun to show that Putin is arming the rebels, if that wasn't known before, because he wants Ukraine. Who steps in at this point? We're not going to go to war with Russia, so what are the next steps?

there no doubt that Russia wants Ukraine, but destroying this aircraft will only yield the opposite. seeing how much dutch passport are being found on this plane, the NATO will have to act and its not going to be pretty for the rebels.

HoosTrax

Any comment from the US yet? Saw this on BBC:

A defence expert has told the BBC that shooting down a plane at 10,000 metres (9.7 miles) would have required a long-range surface-to-air missile - possibly guided by radar. That suggests it is unlikely it could have been downed by a portable air defence missile, or Manpad, which has a much shorter range. The only other possibility is for an aircraft at that height to be downed by a fighter carrying air-to-air missiles. The US will have access to satellite imagery that should be able to identify ultra-violet plumes if a long-range surface-to-air missile was fired.

Seems like they would know if a SAM was launched, and if so, from where.

Sky Chief

Christ! I hope the asshole who shot that plane down feels like shit.

I doubt they care, I mean when you fire a missile you mean to kill. I bet they are shitting themselves though knowing that there will be some sort of reprisal coming. I am sure their cowardice and self preservation far outweighs any guilt they are feeling.

!!!!! STILL VERY VERY VERY NSFW !!!!!!

Russian live stream is back online

Showing the inside of the passports with the passenger photo and details on air is pretty bloody shameful.

And what is it with all these third rate news companies that love copying Sky News' design? Even looks like their studio is modelled on theirs!

Riki

What is it was Ukraine that accidently shot it down?

I'm not onboard the blame wagon until they figure out what actually happened. Right now people on simply blaming the other side because they support a different faction.
There are no accidents here.
The flight path was known.
The plane had no military markings or signals.

It was either intentional or it was pure stupidity.
Neither is acceptable here.

Reynx

From the Guardian

The US "cannot confirm any Americans on board", says State Department spokesperson Jen Psaki, who refused to confirm any reports of Americans among the passengers of MH17.

Speaking to reporters during a press briefing, she said the US has learned from reports in time with the public, and is working "in close contact" with Kiev.

"We have seen the same reports you have at this point. We don't have any confirmed about casualties or details. We're closely monitoring the situation. We're seeking additional information and are in close contact with Ukrainian authorities.

"We don't have any additional details at this point about any American citizens. We're of course looking for more information … and we will make [information] available as soon as we have it.

"I don't want to speculate on who's to blame or the causes – we don't have the information at this point."

Asked about whether the arms Russia is accused of supplying to rebels, and whether those types of weapons would are sophisticated enough to down a plane under the circumstances of the crash, Psaki said she inquire with officials.

BigAl1992

Russia is to blame as well. I suggest deporting the rebel scum to Russia and restore Ukraine the way it was. Add US military presence at the Russia-Ukraine border as well.

That's a seriously bad idea. It would create tension between Russia and the US which, while I heavily doubt it would lead to conflict, the political heat between them would be vicious.

CloudWolf

Is this gonna cause World War 3

I hope it doesn't

Nothing is going to start WW3, nuclear weapons made sure of that. Though I suspect there will be some kind of retaliation, no way the Dutch government is going to accept Russia (or whoever is held accountable) just paying reparations.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Why is there a guy asking if sanctions against Russia will affect people's ability to buy AK-47s in the USA? what the fuck is he doing there?

are state department briefings always this dumb?

RedShift

"18:36: The route taken by flight MH17 was a well-flown route between Europe and Asia, a pilot tells BBC transport correspondent Richard Westcott. He said that any troops should have known the path was full of civilian aircraft."

Really don't buy any proper military shooting it down. Neither the Ukrainians or the Russians would make such a mistake.

JCizzle

That's a seriously bad idea. It would create tension between Russia and the US which, while In heavily doubt it would lead to war, the political heat between them would be vicious.

Well, if Russia provided an anti air system to a bunch of trigger happy psychos who killed 300 people, the heat is already about as hot as it can get. They fucked up.

Kurdel

Banned
Is this a joke? You really have to ask if having American lives involved changes anything?

As cold hearted as it might sound, a few dozen american casualties in colleteral damage in a civil war should not launch exagerated responses.

I do hope this incident puts more pressure on Russia to finally wash it's hands clean of further involvement with these rebels, but I hope it won't lead to american intervention because of american fatalities.

So 23 Americans almost surely means USA is jumping in, no? Really just a question of whether it's drones, jets, or boots.

We are not going to go to war or do any direct military intervening because of this.

And what does it matter if there were Americans on board or not? That's fucking disgusting and annoys me that we value a nationality over others. wtf

there no doubt that Russia wants Ukraine, but destroying this aircraft will only yield the opposite. seeing how much dutch passport are being found on this plane, the NATO will have to act and its not going to be pretty for the rebels.

I think it's more likely that Russia gave the rebels the weapons, and the rebels did something stupid. I don't mean that Russia shot the plane down themselves, but it seems likely they did give the weapons to someone who did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom