• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines flight en route from Amsterdam shot down over Ukraine; no survivors

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiscoJer

Jesus, my friend died on MH370. Now it seems like another person I know died on MH17 :/

EDIT: Yep, confirmed. She died.

What the fuck man.

Crap. I knew someone that died on TWA800, which its the 18th anniversary of today. I can't imagine having that happen twice.

My condolences.

strafer

This got posted with the article on a local news website:

wefGiBQ.jpg

really?

oh man

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It does, but the US and UK have a special relationship.

They're like bros who had a falling out, said some harsh words to eat other. Things they regret... but then at the climax they put aside their differences and team up to fight evil, making their relationship stronger than ever.

sangreal

ffs now erin dragged on the partner of one of the mh370 victims to ask her how she feels about the guy who joked on facebook before boarding this flight

Zeekaas

Fuck. I just came from the Netherlands to Kuala Lumpur with Malaysia Airlines. Just 5 days earlier... Scares the shit out of me..

Easy_D

never left the stone age
They're like bros who had a falling out, said some harsh words to eat other. Things they regret... but then at the climax they put aside their differences and team up to fight evil, making their relationship stronger than ever.

So basically like every other episode of Supernatural

FStop7

Banned
108 people on the plane were people heading to the Aids-top in Australia.

Cue the conspiracy nuts

It depends on the person and the situation. At 32,000 feet some people probably passed out almost immediately and some people may have still been conscious when it hit the ground. :-(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_of_useful_consciousness

Not to be too graphic but I think the explosive decompression, g-forces, shock, and sudden exposure to the temperatures at that altitude would have ensured that at least no one had to suffer the terror of being awake for a fall from that high.

Wessiej

Meh. Happen to have a source?

I'm a newseditor working this night so I will update some new things in this topic. Getting this in from newsbureaus (dutch).
Not entirely sure about the exact number, but that's being reported. I will go after it.

sangreal

DarkFlow

Banned
I read some stuff saying Russia is the only one capable of hitting a plane that high. The buk is not something they would just let the rebels have, and this was likely from Russian Air defence along the border.

Unless Argentina invades your tree house. Then your brother is too busy washing his hair and going round bars in Boston collecting money to fund terrorist organisations that blow up his own brother's favourite pubs because he hasn't decided that he doesn't like terrorism yet.

Wait... I think I got lost in the metaphor. But yeah, I think when it comes to foreign policy, the US is just so insanely powerful militarily that the UKs only role is really to lend credence and legitimacy in the international stage and it's a pretty one sided relationship, as evidenced by the total lack of support we received from the US in 82 even back when our respective premiers were the best buds in the world (because the US had nothing to gain from it).

CoolOff

I read some stuff saying Russia is the only one capable of hitting a plane that high. The buk is not something they would just let the rebels have, and this was likely from Russian Air defence along the border.

Who are "they" who allow the rebels to have stuff?

There is evidence of the rebels capturing a Buk from the Ukranians.

As an American that has lived on and off in the UK for almost a decade and has tons of friends and family in the UK and visits at least once a year I am always amazed at just how close this relationship is. I went to a D-Day commemorative air show this summer in England and it was really emotional stuff, it's a really deep relationship.

We learned a lesson from WW2... that when somebody threatens the way of life in an Anglo nation, it is a threat to all of us and the culture we share.. (i cringed at the corniness of that line, I'm so so sorry, but I don't know a better way to say it) The French and Americans have a philosophical bond that is very strong and centuries old, but I agree, the bond between US, UK, Can, Aus, and NZ goes beyond.

Yamauchi

Banned
The rebels were bragging about getting BUKs just two days ago. Very quickly all those sources started to disappear from the interwebs.

stufte

I hate reading about all the kids that were on board.... ugh.

I have an irrational fear of flying and one thing that always brings me calm for some reason (even though I'm an atheist) is when there are lots of kids on board, if there is any sort of justice in the world (supernatural or otherwise), that a plane couldn't possibly go down with lots of kids on board.

Then shit like this happens and brings me back to reality...

sangreal

Unless Argentina invades your tree house. Then your brother is too busy washing his hair and going round bars in Boston collecting money to fund terrorist organisations that blow up his own brother's favourite pubs because he hasn't decided that he doesn't like terrorism yet.

Wait... I think I got lost in the metaphor. But yeah, I think when it comes to foreign policy, the US is just so insanely powerful militarily that the UKs only role is really to lend credence and legitimacy in the international stage and it's a pretty one sided relationship, as evidenced by the total lack of support we received from the US in 82 even back when our respective premiers were the best buds in the world (because the US had nothing to gain from it).

It's not like the US left the UK out to dry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Events...icially_comes_down_on_the_side_of_the_British
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falkland_war#Position_of_third_party_countries

but this is going off-topic

antonz

I imagine those missiles are not super easy to operate either?

No guy off the street is operating a BUK. Highly skilled individuals operate them. Problem is and VICE pointed this out a lot in their dispatches. The Russians forces in Ukraine spend 90% of their day sitting around drinking vodka. Very dangerous combo

TheContact

A tag quote would be quite appropriate here.

I was thinking the polar opposite. First of all it's highly doubtful Russia did this directly and secondly to wish a nuke upon a whole nation because of this...the same should be said for us in America when we shot flight 655

antonz

Clearly not skilled enough to target the right plane. Is the general consensus that this was a cargo plane shooting gone wrong?

That's what Strelkov and Gubarev seem to indicate. Honestly I could see it being quite deliberate. The day after US hits Russia with heavier sanctions.

TheContact

That's what Strelkov and Gubarev seem to indicate. Honestly I could see it being quite deliberate. The day after US hits Russia with heavier sanctions.

That doesn't make sense. To shoot down a Malaysian airliner because the US imposed sanctions? This is almost clearly an accident. It's hard to distinguish between the an-26 an a boeing from that high up in the air. A trigger happy pilot, probably inexperienced but enough to at least operate the thing, made a really poor decision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom