• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines flight en route from Amsterdam shot down over Ukraine; no survivors

Status
Not open for further replies.

WarMacheen

Of course. Terrorist cells might have a Stinger, which can reach 15,000 to maybe 20,000 feet.

To hit 30,000 feet, you can't use a shoulder mounted missile, at least I don't think you can, and if there are any of those in Afghanistan or non Government controlled areas in Pakistan, you would bet your ass we would take it out the next day.

Stingers will not hit an aircraft at 30,000 feet.

So now I'm reading that there were no americans on board? Whats the deal?

I think there were. There are a number of passengers that haven't had their nationalities revealed. The BBC thinks these are Americans and the details have been held back so they can confirm or let families know. But they didn't seem sure themselves.

Carn82

At a news conference at Schiphol airport, Malaysia Airlines' European chief Huib Gorter said they were still trying to identify some of the passengers from flight MH17.

He said of the passengers that have been identified there were:

154 Dutch nationals, 27 Australians, 23 Malaysians, 11 Indonesians
Six Britons, four Germans, four Belgians, three from the Philippines and one Canadian
All 15 of the crew were Malaysian

Zutroy

Probably a stupid question, but why were so many of the bodies in the video almost naked?

I presume because their clothes burnt off?

ape2man

Gemüsepizza;121504078 said:
Really guys? There was proof that showed that the rebels stole an AA-vehicle from the army. It would be pretty stupid of the Russians to give them one of their own vehicles, because it can easily be sourced back to them.

How am I trolling? There is no evidence that the rebels have AA vehicles supplied by the Russians. Yet you are the one coming up with posts in which you are constantly making up stuff, for example as I pointed out here, where you claim that "there are no Ukrainian rebels". only "Russian soldiers". It is very clear that you absolutely hate Russia up to a point that it clouds your judgement and makes you believe *every* bad thing about Russia, even if there is absolutely no evidence.

sure, https://twitter.com/finriswolf/statuses/489828883194077184

WarMacheen

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't Stingers have an effective range of about 4km?

Altitude is different from range, 4km would be safe to say.

Source: Me, I've fired them and working with them was my job during my first few years in the military before I reclassed to another MOS

Hrothgar

Can someone explain me why they pretend not to know the identities of everyone on that flight? Airlines know a lot about you when you board their plane, and they definitely know who boarded them.

Swerbs

Neo Member
Why would the Ukrainians leave an anti air missile system out on the front lines when it wasn't needed and had a risk of getting captured?

Zukuu

Banned
Probably a stupid question, but why were so many of the bodies in the video almost naked?

I presume because their clothes burnt off?
Some of them yeah, but others were just missing their pants and shoes. Most likely due to the force of the wind when you are in free fall, I think.

Everyone knows they *have* a SAM launcher. The question is where they got it from. Both Ukraine and Russia have them, and the "rebels" have stolen a lot of hardware already.

It doesn't matter how they got it, but they definitely used it. I think the general consensus is that they used a stolen Ukrainian launcher, but they had Russian military men assisting them in the operation of it.

It's not 20,000 feet

What are you arguing? I said they fly over Afghanistan and North Western Pakistan all the time, where the only AA would be Stingers. Since airlines usually fly around 30,000 feet, and Stingers can only reach, at most, 20,000 feet, they fly over it all the time.

antonz

Stingers can reach 20,000 feet but it would require the Starstreak missile which can be confirmed as not being in the hands of the attackers. What they are using is limited to around 12,000 feet.

Either way its well out of range of the 33,000 feet

WarMacheen

What are you arguing? I said they fly over Afghanistan and North Western Pakistan all the time, where the only AA would be Stingers. Since airlines usually fly around 30,000 feet, and Stingers can only reach, at most, 20,000 feet, they fly over it all the time.

I'm not arguing. Simply stating fact. Calm down

kess

Agence France-Presse

Self-proclaimed PM of pro-Russian separatist "Donetsk People's Republic" Alexander Borodai (C) arrives at #MH17 site

Bsx_dyWCYAALj5A.jpg:large

WarMacheen

I am, I am just curious why you are trying to correct something, when you are really just restating what I said.

No issue here man, I was just reiterating what you said. A stinger is definitely not involved and no passenger aircraft flying at altitude is in danger from those.

Also the Starstreak missile is not a Stinger, or a variant of a Stinger, it is simply another type of portable surface to air missile and can be fired from many of the same vehicles.

Lots of activity here, everyone seems to be in meetings. It appears that MFAT have determined that at least one New Zealand passport holder is among those on the flight.

Yagharek

I just got back from Ukraine not too long ago...

I will make no comment about the people in that shit hole of a country.

I 99% sure my friends Page and James were on that flight. I am waiting for confirmation. Jesus christ.

I hope they weren't on the flight and hope you get some good news soon.

ATF487

This is awful.

Not to be an asshole, but is it really that important to get the nationalities clarified? 295 people died and it's terrible no matter what passport they're holding.

JCizzle

This is awful.

Not to be an asshole, but is it really that important to get the nationalities clarified? 295 people died and it's terrible no matter what passport they're holding.

I think people are sad regardless, but in some ways I think it's a matter of hitting closer to home that makes it more personal. I don't think people are implying that "well, if there aren't any people from country X who died then it's no big deal".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom