• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines flight en route from Amsterdam shot down over Ukraine; no survivors

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is awful.

Not to be an asshole, but is it really that important to get the nationalities clarified? 295 people died and it's terrible no matter what passport they're holding.

It's more about seeing which countries are going to react to the event more personally because it happened to "them" too.

I agree with you, I'm Canadian and knowing whether or not another Canadian was on board could not matter less to me. It's no more or less tragic of an event, people are people.

Komo

Banned
This is awful.

Not to be an asshole, but is it really that important to get the nationalities clarified? 295 people died and it's terrible no matter what passport they're holding.

Well, it's important for the families to know of course, but otherwise I do disapprove of news outlets relying on its peoples national pride to gather sympathy and induce shock reactions.

For example, Today Australia is heavily emphasizing the death of Australians, and almost completely disregarding the other 200 or so passengers; as if they were devaluing all the other lives onboard, and it actually makes me feel pretty sick.

I've said this before, but nationalism really is a terrible thing. People died, and it's a tragedy no matter what their nationality is.

Zukuu

Banned
This is awful.

While I generally agree with you, it is important for three reasons:
-People have confirmation that they don't have to expect a loss in their close circle of acquaintances.
-It matters for the countrymen of the victims
-Most importantly: It has political reasons. Countries involved will be EAGER to get this resolved. In this case, it may also lead to military action or has other political repercussions.

Hopefully the identitiy of those responsible will become unequivocally exposed, unlike the moral ambigüity that has characterized the entire Ukranian conflict.

antonz

He looks like a drug lord or some mafia dude from a cheap action movie.

"Who" is this man? Was he the hired russian actor?

He s likely Russian Mafia as he was the former Advisor to the Kremlin installed Crimean Leadership who happens to be Russian Mafia. Left his advisor job to rule Eastern Ukraine for Russia

Wessiej

This is awful.

Of course, here in Holland it is now one of the biggest disasters ever, since WW2 there hasn't been a day that so many Dutch people died in one time.

If it were 300 people from another country it would be a different story. Still sad, but different.

sangreal

Sorry we don't live in utopia, but it does matter. It is responsibility for governments to protect their citizens (and only their citizens) from incidents like this. Yes, everyone should be (and is) sad for all the lives lost regardless of nationality, but there is a local aspect to the story that affects pressure on individual national governments

Look at the Chinese reaction to the other MAS crash. If there were 150 Chinese nationals on this flight, it would have enormous political ramifications

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I've found this genuinely disturbing and upsetting... so horrifically violent - how horrible for the people on board and their families.

FStop7

Banned
nothing quick about a plane falling from the sky at 30,000 feet. that's 90-120 seconds of falling, I'd think with a burning plane around you. I can't even imagine seeing the ground rushing up to meet you. I can't think of a worse way to go.

They wouldn't have been conscious, thankfully. They would have been unconscious or dead moments after the plane broke up.

Enough of this bullshit. Just invite NATO in already; take no prisoners.

Yeah boy, beat that war drum. Gonna rain down some freedom on dem commies.

HelloMeow

Of course, here in Holland it is now one of the biggest disasters ever, since WW2 there hasn't been a day that so many Dutch people died in one time.

If it were 300 people from another country it would be a different story. Still sad, but different.

What about 1953?

I'm guessing your media is rolling this news constantly?
I can't imagine the shock your country must be experiencing.

THRILLH0

Banned
For example, Today Australia is heavily emphasizing the death of Australians, and almost completely disregarding the other 200 or so passengers; as if they were devaluing all the other lives onboard, and it actually makes me feel pretty sick.

I'm sorry but this is bullshit. Making the number of Australian lives lost the lede does not diminish the total loss of life.

Do the nationalities on board affect the magnitude of tragedy? No, but there's nothing wrong with putting a spotlight on the local impact.

Loofy

I think these air line companies that are flying this corridor need to be responsible to an extent.You have military aircraft being shot down in the air space and still have flights flying through. It was clear since the end of June that the separatists had good AA. Seems like the airlines need to be held accountable for this as well to an extent.
I agree especially since some airlines have already been avoiding the area for over a month.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I'm sorry but this is bullshit. Making the number of Australian lives lost the lede does not diminish the total loss of life.

Do the nationalities on board affect the magnitude of tragedy? No, but there's nothing wrong with putting a spotlight on the local impact.

The passport of the passengers is the concern of that government. Depending on the response, there can be significant economic impact. If you're a citizen of a country that lost dozens of people in a terrorist attack, you will likely feel some kind of impact when your government acts.

Gallbaro

Banned
Bsxrs1JIUAAypU1.jpg

It is weird that they mention US casualties.

I agree especially since some airlines have already been avoiding the area for over a month.

I will have to agree with this too, safety should always come first. But the Malaysian airline ignored all warnings. There were a lot of planes that were being shot down in the past couple of months. Civilian aircraft should not be execption to the threat.

sangreal

I love the CNN british guy miles, calling out Erin Burnett for the bs she is peddling trying to dump the blame on MAS. She is the worst anchor CNN has, and that is a low bar

Mind you, they're not even faulting MAS for flying through Eastern Ukraine -- they're upset that MAS originally planned to fly over Crimea instead but changed the route (possibly due to storms) so the airline is playing loose with safety to save fuel by flying over Crimea

The US and UK are the two closest allies on the planet, it isn't that weird.

This is a fair point. An attack on one is seen as tantamount to an attack on the other. I think the implication is that the presence of US citizens means the consequences could be greater.

Sky Chief

The US and UK are the two closest allies on the planet, it isn't that weird.

As an American that has lived on and off in the UK for almost a decade and has tons of friends and family in the UK and visits at least once a year I am always amazed at just how close this relationship is. I went to a D-Day commemorative air show this summer in England and it was really emotional stuff, it's a really deep relationship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom