• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines flight en route from Amsterdam shot down over Ukraine; no survivors

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheContact

I've seen a few times people mention women and children casualties on TV, which is indeed true, but please do not act like these male casualties were at war and are somehow dispensable. It just grinds my gears, that is some dark ages mentality.

Hey guys, this really bad thing happened and it's even worse because women and children were among the casualties.

I think it all comes down to value. I would easily give my life to save my daughter and my wife because their lives are so much more valuable than mine

Therefore when children and women die the value of death is higher and thus more tragic

Skeyser

I think it all comes down to value. I would easily give my life to save my daughter and my wife because their lives are so much more valuable than mine

Therefore when children and women die the value of death is higher and thus more tragic

Why is your wife life so much more valuable than yours?

Serious question.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Sorry if stuff was posted but what are official responses from The Netherlands / Malaysian governments? People keep talking about the US.

Gritesh

Serious question.

Offers the chance for human reproduction, while I know that men do as the world would require far less men to reproduce than women, easier to spread the seed with more woman then men...etc...

Also I value my wife and kids life more than mine
But that's not for this thread.

conspiracy theories have started circulating already (i.e. US intelligence shot the plane down to booster support for further russian sanctions and/or intervention).

Wouldn't put past the CIA or some other branch of the US military/intelligence. Not I believe it.

This makes no sense. Are you saying women and children's lives are just more valuable than men's?

wapplew

Fuck, why Malaysia airline again? What did we do to deserve this?
We are just one little peaceful country. 2 planes crisis within a quarter? Just too much.

Malaysia Airline cannot recover from this.

Wessiej

Sorry if stuff was posted but what are official responses from The Netherlands / Malaysian governments? People keep talking about the US.

Dutch: Very sad that it happened, a team will investigate what happens and if a group of people is responsible for it they will fight them in court. They will bring them to justice. But they don't want to point any fingers yet.

Mully

Right, but let's say they hijacked a M1A2 (or like t-84 or in their case), then you would know how to operate it. Is it inconceivable to think that there isn't ex military that would know how to operate a buk missile or at least another SAM?

Considering that most men in the Marines and Army are infantry, I highly doubt there'd be ample amount of M1A2 operators available. This gets more difficult when you consider how specialized the Buk is in a modern army where most wars are one-sided in the air.

NH Apache

Banned
Gemüsepizza;121533451 said:
Please stop with this stupid thread. He made a very specific claim. I asked him for the source. I will NOT read 2200 replies in the other thread because there *might* be a source. Antonz is notorious for posting propaganda links and news without sources. I am tired of this. I was just asking him if he can provide a source to his post. If he can not, which is obviously the case, I have to assume that he just made this up. Like before. I hope other people will remember such behaviour.

I have no idea why you think I am trying to "defend Russia". I think Putin is a fucking cunt and a criminal, and I hate what he is doing to that country. But that doesn't mean that I support stupid propaganda from the other side.

It seems like you have a greater issue with Antonz than the actual question you asked. I'm not sure where you get your information about him, but every post I've seem of his has been in the Ukraine thread and has a verifiable link attached to it.

As for your question, the "Russian separatists" publicly identify as Russian. Your question was so general that I referred you to the thread. Every post of yours seems antagonistic and I'm not quite sure why.

Your question seems more appropriate for the other thread, located here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=802557.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Dutch: Very sad that it happened, a team will investigate what happens and if a group of people is responsible for it they will fight them in court. They will bring them to justice. But they don't want to point any fingers yet.

Quite diplomatic.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.

Serious question.

Because, some humans have these things called emotions. We like to use them.

I'd give my life in a heartbeat to save my wife or kids. Wouldn't even think twice.

Dutch government wants to wait for the facts before conclusions are drawn. They want unlimited acces to the site and recordings though.

This of course next to condolences and grief.

Yagharek

Fuck, why Malaysia airline again? What did we do to deserve this?
We are just one little peaceful country. 2 planes crisis within a quarter? Just too much.

Malaysia Airline cannot recover from this.

No one holds Malaysia Airlines responsible for this flight. It is the fault of Russia and Russia alone.

Wessiej

Any idea whether there were any airlines that took active steps to avoid the zone before this incident?

As far as I know not. Airlines avoided the Krim, but not the east of the Ukraine. But I'm not precisely certain of this. In a press conference with the KLM/Malaysia Airlines tonight the question was asked why they didn't avoid it, and they said no airline thought of it as a risk zone. It is also the thirth time that a passenger flight has been taken down so nobody thought this was going to happen.

Tapiozona

Banned
Offers the chance for human reproduction, while I know that men do as the world would require far less men to reproduce than women, easier to spread the seed with more woman then men...etc...

Maybe with the assumption that human life is scarce. With 3.5 billion women on this planet, your wife's life is of no more value than yours. Your argument would probably hold true in some post apocalyptic scenario, which this isn't.

Maybe with the assumption that human life is scarce. With 3.5 billion women on this planet, your wife's life is of no more value than yours. Your argument would probably hold true in some post apocalyptic scenario, which this isn't.
Also it would follow that the lives of barren women are less valuable even now. It's obviously ok to admit that we would sacrifice our lives for loved ones, no need to talk about 'value'.

Anyway, still can't quite believe this happened and hope something is quickly done to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Jake.

Any idea whether there were any airlines that took active steps to avoid the zone before this incident?

if you spent thirty seconds researching you would find this answer yourself. british airways, KLM and korea airlines had avoided the area for months, although the flight route taken by MH170 had still been declared "safe" by the UN's aviation arm (the ICAO).

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Serious question.

Mine is more than halfway done, statistically she will live longer and take care of my daughter better than I could. And that's just the rational value. It's not hard to understand.

Zukuu

Banned
area of the debris
BsykMe6IYAIewhb.png:large

It seems like you have a greater issue with Antonz than the actual question you asked. I'm not sure where you get your information about him, but every post I've seem of his has been in the Ukraine thread and has a verifiable link attached to it.

As for your question, the "Russian separatists" publicly identify as Russian. Your question was so general that I referred you to the thread. Every post of yours seems antagonistic and I'm not quite sure why.

Your question seems more appropriate for the other thread, located here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=802557.

There was nothing general about my question.

He said:

"Probably 95% of the "Rebels" are Russian Soldiers. [...]"

I asked:

"Can you provide a source for this please?"

He made his statement here, so why should I ask this question somewhere else? Also it seems that you are not aware that the other thread is a thread strictly for "news", it's probably not a good idea to encourage people to start discussions there which could get them banned.

Jesus Christ! Why do you assume I don't know? Just as we don't want to invade Russia due to the nukes, they also cannot start a war because of our nukes. I.e. M.A.D. No matter how crazy Putin is, he will not lauch a nuclear attack if we push him out of Ukraine.

I see no reason to be overly accommodating to the Russians. If we do not contain Putin, we really will see a second cold war. Russia should be contained until it can be trusted.

Skip the cold war and go straight to war because we won't nuke each other?

Zukuu

Banned
an interesting analysis:
There are three likely possibilities as to who shot the aircraft down: Ukrainian military forces, Russian-aligned separatists (with or without Russian military assistance), and finally one of these two forces attempting to make it look like the other committed the act.
It looks as if the US may have tracked some part of the missile launch, possibly using the Space Based Infrared Radar system of satellites. It is highly likely that US national technical assets will be able to approximate the point of origin of the launch, and the launcher. This means it will be up to the US to make the case as to who fired the missile, potentially putting Washington in a position of greater direct confrontation with Russia (beyond recently announced sanctions).
more at the link:
http://www.lowyinterpreter.org/post...alia-should-step-up.aspx#.U8h39M4LBgM.twitter

burden of proof lies with the person making the claim

Mully

This thread is going to turn into a hypothetical discussion about if there could be WW3 and who would win, isn't it?

Zomba13

This makes no sense. Are you saying women and children's lives are just more valuable than men's?

I think he is saying he would rather die than have his child and wife die and that a child's life is more valuable due to them having such potential and life left in them compared to a fully grown man.

DJ SLEV3N

Banned
To remind people, if this is a BUK, we are talking well over a year of training to operate this thing successfully. This isn't used by some hoodlums fighting for mother Russia, whoever fired this was a group of trained professionals.

Zukuu

Banned
To remind people, if this is a BUK, we are talking well over a year of training to operate this thing successfully. This isn't used by some hoodlums fighting for mother Russia, whoever fired this was a trained professional at their job.
At a June 30 Pentagon news conference, NATO Supreme Commander Gen. Philip Breedlove said Russia had been providing air defense training to Russian separatists on its side of the border with Ukraine that focused on “vehicle-borne” surface-to-air missiles

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politic...ssian-anti-aircraft-training-for-separatists/

D23

There's a very graphic video on liveleak that shows many of the burned bodies on the crash site. Oh god I wish I didn't see that... Those poor people

No one holds Malaysia Airlines responsible for this flight. It is the fault of Russia and Russia alone.

I do. Flying across a warzone, especially after cargo planes had been shot down, was risky and dumb. Doubly dumb for an airline whose plane disappeared without trace just a few months ago. Other airlines had taken precautions, MA should have followed suit. Never flying MA ever.

Sayter

Gemüsepizza;121539340 said:
There was nothing general about my question.

He said:

I asked:

He made his statement here, so why should I ask this question somewhere else? Also it seems that you are not aware that the other thread is a thread strictly for "news", it's probably not a good idea to encourage people to start discussions there which could get them banned.

Here ya go. It'll take a little time to read. But from it you get a good idea of Russia's involvement.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_pro-Russian_unrest_in_Ukraine

Yagharek

To remind people, if this is a BUK, we are talking well over a year of training to operate this thing successfully. This isn't used by some hoodlums fighting for mother Russia, whoever fired this was a group of trained professionals.

I thought it was obvious when Russia stole Crimea that they had been sending in not only soldiers but surely special forces as well.

I dont doubt for a second that this was the act of Russian soldiers.

Shiggy

There have been very recent reports about people in uniforms without any emblems, just as what happened on the Krim. There were also Russian soldiers which did not identify as such. It's no secret that Russia supports the separists in various ways...

I do. Flying across a warzone, especially after cargo planes had been shot down, was risky and dumb. Doubly dumb for an airline whose plane disappeared without trace just a few months ago. Other airlines had taken precautions, MA should have followed suit. Never flying MA ever.

Im pretty sure that I took the route through Ukraine with Emirates just a few weeks ago. A lot of airlines didn't avoid that zone.

There have been very recent reports about people in uniforms without any emblems, just as what happened on the Krim. There were also Russian soldiers which did not identify as such. It's no secret that Russia supports the separists in various ways...

Im pretty sure that I took the route through Ukraine with Emirates just a few weeks ago. A lot of airlines didn't avoid that zone.

A lot of airlines did. Qantas, Asiana, KAL, Cathay Pacific, all US airlines. Months ago. Any airline that continued to use that route, especially after the cargo plane was shot down, was taking a risk.

For those saying the Buk can be used by a ragtag group need to see this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDXScnEKaP0

Also like all modern SAM systems, they're mobile. It's not a single vehicle but several making the entire system. Being able to operate not just the individual vehicles, but use them in sync definitely requires a certain degree of training. Also these aren't small insurgent level weapons, these things can shoot down almost anything that flies if given the right circumstances.

Zukuu

Banned
For those saying the Buk can be used by a ragtag group need to see this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDXScnEKaP0

Also like all modern SAM systems, they're mobile. It's not a single vehicle but several making the entire system. Being able to operate not just the individual vehicles, but use them in sync definitely requires a certain degree of training. Also these aren't small insurgent level weapons, these things can shoot down almost anything that flies if given the right circumstances.

like 10 posts above you:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=121540429&postcount=2936

Indian Prime Minister's flight was in the same corridor, just one hour behind:
MH-17 came down at Torez, near Shakhtersk, some 40 km from the Russia border in Ukraine after going off the radar at 1320 gmt. The PM 's flight Air India-001 took off from Frankfurt at 1122 gmt, and the flight time to Donetsk would be approximately 3 hours. That would have put him right over the Ukraine Flight Information Region (FIR) about an hour later.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game

So you value the life of a woman because she can hold more seed?

Why do we even care about that at this point of human civilization?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom