• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines flight en route from Amsterdam shot down over Ukraine; no survivors

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkFlow

Banned
A lot of airlines did. Qantas, Asiana, KAL, Cathay Pacific, all US airlines. Months ago. Any airline that continued to use that route, especially after the cargo plane was shot down, was taking a risk.
How? When was the last time a civ airline was shot down with a SAM? It's not like they expected non military targets to be in danger at 32,000 feet.

Do we know whether other airlines have also been flying through that airspace in the past weeks or months?

According to this blog post from July 15th, Russian airlines were avoiding Eastern Ukraine from FlightRader24 data.
Incidentally, Russian airlines flying to Simferopol in Russian-occupied Crimea, as well as other Black Sea airports to the east, are skirting around eastern Ukrainian today - something they weren't doing yesterday. Before the shoot-down of the transport plane, they'd fly directly over Ukraine, the shortest air route from the Black Sea to Moscow and St Petersburg. Today, they are avoiding Ukrainian airspace east of Dnepropetrovsk and Kharkiv.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Holy shit

Holy cow, I mean loss of life is loss of life. But talk about a political shitstorm if it had been that plane.

Such a heart wrenching day. I saw the video with them going through the passports, it really starts to wear on you when you can literally put a name and a face to the victims. So completely senseless.

BunnyBear

A lot of airlines did. Qantas, Asiana, KAL, Cathay Pacific, all US airlines. Months ago. Any airline that continued to use that route, especially after the cargo plane was shot down, was taking a risk.

Why do I get the sensation you're talking sensationalist bollocks?

Sayter

And? Prudent airlines still chose not to fly over the area and stopped doing so months ago, including the one that has never had a fatality and one that had its plane shot down by Russians years ago. Malaysian Airlines had a plane disappear only months ago yet still put their passengers at risk.

This is like saying if you drive on a major highway through a major metropolitan city in the US, and get hit by a stray bullet, you're just as responsible by taking a risk.

Agreed. His argument is illogical and entirely unfair.

Thirded... they were reasonable in thinking that this posed no real risk. No one would've considered this a possibility before yesterday. The Ukraine government has no motive and the "rebels" had no means.

They were 33k ft in the air, the fighting was so far below them it would've been over reaction to adjust the flightpath.

ty_hot

It is quite funny to see people blaming Russia for arming the rebels at the same time that their own country has been arming any armed group that could disrupt any countrie's government that is not fully aligned with their interest. And that is not happening from last month, or last year, or even the last decade.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Agreed. His argument is illogical and entirely unfair.

No it isn't. The airplane was shot down, so it very obviously was a realized risk.

When you conduct a risk assessment, you compare both the severity and likelihood of the events and factor that into your decision making.

Say that there's a 1% chance one of your flights gets shot down, and it will cost your company $1 billion in lost revenue, plane replacement fees, etc. If changing the routes costs your company over $10 million in extra fuel costs, it would make financial sense to take the risk.

I would be furious with Malaysian airlines for taking that risk of human life. If you don't think they made a decision to fly through a dangerous area, you think they're incompetent businessmen.

It is quite funny to see people blaming Russia for arming the rebels at the same time that their own country has been arming any armed group that could disrupt any countrie's government that is not fully aligned with their interest. And that is not happening from last month, or last year, or even the last decade.

Yes it's quite funny how so many of us supported the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan by marching with banners that said "not in my name".

Ric Flair

Banned

I think most people on this forum would agree that The United States has been notoriously awful when it comes to poking its nose in foreign policy where it doesn't belong. That doesn't exclude US citizens from having an opinion, however. I have no control over my governments ability to arm/disarm rebels/terror-groups spread across the middle-east. If I had my say, those responsible for arming said groups would be put on trial and thrown in jail. What happened today was awful and unforgivable. A huge passenger airliner was deliberately shot down resulting in the deaths of over 200 people. Its deplorable and those responsible should be punished accordingly

This is like saying if you drive on a major highway through a major metropolitan city in the US, and get hit by a stray bullet, you're just as responsible by taking a risk.

No it's not. What a shit poor analogy. Other airlines stopped flying over the area because they deemed it risky. A cargo plane was shot down at 21,000 feet only 3 days ago. A better analogy is you and your passengers are shot after you chose to drive through part of town which other drivers avoid because there is a gang war going on, 3 days after another car full of people was shot and killed driving through the same place.

milkham

yes, so funny

Sayter

No it isn't. The airplane was shot down, so it very obviously was a realized risk.

When you conduct a risk assessment, you compare both the severity and likelihood of the events and factor that into your decision making.

Say that there's a 1% chance one of your flights gets shot down, and it will cost your company $1 billion in lost revenue, plane replacement fees, etc. If changing the routes costs your company over $10 million in extra fuel costs, it would make financial sense to take the risk.

I would be furious with Malaysian airlines for taking that risk of human life. If you don't think they made a decision to fly through a dangerous area, you think they're incompetent businessmen.

You do realize that there were several other airlines taking the same flight path up to the time it was shot down, right? Including the plane of the India's Prime Minister which took the same path just an hour after it happened.

Sayter

No it's not. What a shit poor analogy. Other airlines stopped flying over the area because they deemed it risky. A cargo plane was shot down at 21,000 feet only 3 days ago. A better analogy is you and your passengers are shot after you chose to drive through part of town which other drivers avoid because there is a gang war going on, 3 days after another car full of people was shot and killed driving through the same place.

See my post above.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
You do realize that there were several other airlines taking the same flight path up to the time it was shot down, right? Including the plane of the India's Prime Minister which took the same path just an hour after it happened.

Sure. Shame on them also. They deserve just as much scorn.

Dead Man

Piss off with that rubbish.

cafemomo

Other airlines stopped flying over the area. They obviously thought there was some risk.

It wasn't until after the shoot down, that that corridor was deemed unsafe

here, 10 hours prior to MH17
Code:
V6158/14 NOTAMN
Q) URRV/QARLC/IV/NBO/E/000/530/4818N04023E095
A) URRV B) 1407170000 C) 1408312359 EST
E) DUE TO COMBAT ACTIONS ON THE TERRITORY OF THE UKRAINE NEAR THE
STATE BORDER WITH THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION AND THE FACTS OF FIRING
FROM THE TERRITORY OF THE UKRAINE TOWARDS THE TERRITORY OF RUSSIAN
FEDERATION, TO ENSURE INTL FLT SAFETY,
ATS RTE SEGMENTS CLSD AS FLW:
A100 MIMRA - ROSTOV-NA-DONU VOR/DME (RND) ,
B145 KANON - ASMIL,
G247 MIMRA - BAGAYEVSKIY NDB (BA),
A87 TAMAK - SARNA,
A102 PENEG - NALEM,
A225 GUKOL - ODETA,
A712 TAMAK - SAMBEK NDB (SB),
B493 FASAD - ROSTOV-NA-DONU VOR/DME (RND),
B947 TAMAK - ROSTOV-NA-DONU VOR/DME (RND),
G118 LATRI - BAGAYEVSKIY NDB (BA),
G534 MIMRA - TOROS,
G904 FASAD - SUTAG,
R114 BAGAYEVSKIY NDB (BA)-NALEM.
SFC - FL320

the corridor was closed up to 32,000 (last line)

the flight (and other flights) was well above that restriction

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
It wasn't until after the shoot down, that that corridor was deemed unsafe

here, 10 hours prior to MH17
Code:
V6158/14 NOTAMN
Q) URRV/QARLC/IV/NBO/E/000/530/4818N04023E095
A) URRV B) 1407170000 C) 1408312359 EST
E) DUE TO COMBAT ACTIONS ON THE TERRITORY OF THE UKRAINE NEAR THE
STATE BORDER WITH THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION AND THE FACTS OF FIRING
FROM THE TERRITORY OF THE UKRAINE TOWARDS THE TERRITORY OF RUSSIAN
FEDERATION, TO ENSURE INTL FLT SAFETY,
ATS RTE SEGMENTS CLSD AS FLW:
A100 MIMRA - ROSTOV-NA-DONU VOR/DME (RND) ,
B145 KANON - ASMIL,
G247 MIMRA - BAGAYEVSKIY NDB (BA),
A87 TAMAK - SARNA,
A102 PENEG - NALEM,
A225 GUKOL - ODETA,
A712 TAMAK - SAMBEK NDB (SB),
B493 FASAD - ROSTOV-NA-DONU VOR/DME (RND),
B947 TAMAK - ROSTOV-NA-DONU VOR/DME (RND),
G118 LATRI - BAGAYEVSKIY NDB (BA),
G534 MIMRA - TOROS,
G904 FASAD - SUTAG,
R114 BAGAYEVSKIY NDB (BA)-NALEM.
SFC - FL320

the corridor was closed up to 32,000 (last line)

the flight (and other flights) was well above that restriction

This is what I hate about most people and this world. Most of us are so afraid to take responsibility for our mistakes and take corrective actions.

95% of people are eager to scapegoat, and continue lazy or dangerous behaviors. It will not serve you well in life, I guarantee you.

commedieu

Banned

what a refreshing, new, and rarely visited in this thread, perspective.

DarkFlow

Banned

Thanks for the shit drive by post. I know you won't be back to defend this.

Dead Man

This is what I hate about most people and this world. Most of us are so afraid to take responsibility for our mistakes and take corrective actions.

95% of people are eager to scapegoat, and continue lazy or dangerous behaviors. It will not serve you well in life, I guarantee you.

People are unwilling to take responsibility, but people are also eager to scapegoat? This post doesn't seem to make a great deal of sense to me.

Seems like people are scapegoating the airline. Hindsight is 20/20.

antonz

OSCE Team is said to be enroute to the crash site now. Here is hoping they don't get shot down or captured. OSCE teams haven't been so lucky in that area.

@OSCE_SMM · 22m
Our advance team enroute to E. Ukraine via MI-8M

Netherlands Largest newspaper frontpage:

uiyTDUc.png

Sorry do not have a larger one at the moment.

genjiZERO

Not to make light off the situations, but it's all awfully WW3-esque. Russia starts a proxy war with the West and Israel raids Palestine within hours.

Sayter

Damn those people who choose to go about their lives and not live in fear.

Crocodile

Been kind of divorced from the news for most of the day so I'm still trying to learn what went down. What kind of fucktards shoot down a civilian plane! >_< ;_;

ty_hot

I think most people on this forum would agree that The United States has been notoriously awful when it comes to poking its nose in foreign policy where it doesn't belong. That doesn't exclude US citizens from having an opinion, however. I have no control over my governments ability to arm/disarm rebels/terror-groups spread across the middle-east. If I had my say, those responsible for arming said groups would be put on trial and thrown in jail. What happened today was awful and unforgivable. A huge passenger airliner was deliberately shot down resulting in the deaths of over 200 people. Its deplorable and those responsible should be punished accordingly

Sure not all americans agree with it, and ofc the responsible for this should pay. I was just pointing out that.

But at the same time that, 3 children died ont he roof of their house in Gaza. Everybody knows who fired the missile and noone gives a damn shit about it. And yes, I know the difference about 3 and 298, but if you count all events of this month in Gaza you will get the same amount of inocent lives lost. Wierd how people are so selective in terms of where to put their anger on. Anyway, this discussion doesn't belong to this thread.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Forgive me if this has been asked already but I'm not reading through a 60 page thread.

Would the pilots have been aware that a missile was coming towards them or would they have been totally unaware until the missile made contact?
Maybe a tad morbid, I'm just curious if the pilots/passengers had time to think about what was going on before it happened or if it just all of a sudden hit the plane (from their perspective)

Forgive me if this has been asked already but I'm not reading through a 60 page thread.

Would the pilots have been aware that a missile was coming towards them or would they have been totally unaware until the missile made contact?
Maybe a tad morbid, I'm just curious if the pilots/passengers had time to think about what was going on before it happened or if it just all of a sudden hit the plane (from their perspective)
They were totally unaware.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
All parties have responsibilities in this disaster except the victims. Hell, even the adult victims should be aware of the flight path if there's danger.

To ignore this would be to allow history to repeat. The security control preventing the loss of life failed. Do you really want airlines passing the buck to the safety agencies when your life is at risk?

lexi

Banned

It would have been extremely sudden. Barely enough time to register what is wrong with the plane, let alone that you've been hit with a missile.

Yrael

I've been thinking about this all day.The images I saw last night have deeply affected me, and I barely got any sleep...I really shouldn't have watched any of that early Russian live stream when I was trying to search for more news, because I can still see the dead bodies from the crash site in my mind. It doesn't help that the witnesses on-site even went through their passports for the camera, so a name and photo could be associated with the bodies. What a rotten thing to do...how horrible it must be for a friend or family member to hear about it that way first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom