• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines flight en route from Amsterdam shot down over Ukraine; no survivors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only we have communication intercepts of known players in the conflict which not only confirm that the separatists fired the missile under the mistaken assumption that it was a Ukrainian an-26 transport, the location where the missile was fired from but also that higher ranking players admit the mistake and insist that a civilian aircraft should not have been flying in the airspace in the first place.

I heard about those intercepts but I'm not aware anything was confirmed or authenticated.

itsgreen

u2G7p3D.jpg

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Samantha Power using this opportunity to go in on Russia over Ukraine. Have yet to hear her say anything about the plane yet, lol.

This is a UNSC meeting on the Ukraine situation, the MH17 flight is obviously topical but not the sole item on the agenda.

Burai

shitonmychest57
What a nightmare. And it's fucking disgusting how Putin immediatly put the blame on the Ukrainian government. Shit like that convinces me that Russia is behind this terrorist attack.

I don't think Russia are behind it. One of their people in Ukraine got trigger happy and took down the wrong aircraft. They've essentially committed accidental international terrorism. Russia are just blaming Ukraine because they can't possibly show any link back to them at this stage.

Russia will inevitably be threatened with sanctions and the people responsible will either end up arrested and handed over to face justice, or more likely dead. Russia will act like the hero for apprehending these "rogues" whilst maintaining that the militants have no links back to the Kremlin.

Joni

I don't think Russia are behind it. One of their people in Ukraine got trigger happy and took down the wrong aircraft. They've essentially committed accidental international terrorism. Russia are just blaming Ukraine because they can't possibly show any link back to them at this stage.
The problem is no militants have experience with these systems. They could have only used them with Russian training so Russia is in a bind on how to react.

sangreal

Don't forget 'separatists' gloating over their new SAM missiles for the last few weeks AND Strelkov's post on vkontakte when the plane went down.

FreedomFighter only believes in "alternative" news sources like RT; you guys are wasting your time. He doesn't even believe in Russian involvement in Eastern Ukraine and finds this flight flying over Ukraine "suspicious". Just check his post history

teiresias

I think she puts it mildly. UK went ham on Putin directly.

Yeah I'm glad at least the UK isn't mincing words. The US needs to make it clear that Russia is a stain on this planet and its civilization. At this point the Ukrainians should just let the separatists leave since anyone that actually wants to be part of that corrupt and vile country is obviously nearly, if not completely, sociopathic.

Lithuania also burying Russia, well done UN, keep it up.

The Baltic states aren't exactly pro-Russian!

Yeah I'm glad at least the UK isn't mincing words. The US needs to make it clear that Russia is a stain on this planet and its civilization. At this point the Ukrainians should just let the separatists leave since anyone that actually wants to be part of that corrupt and vile country is obviously nearly, if not completely, sociopathic.

So, your solution would be to let Russia get what it wants?

Nikodemos

I wish somebody (UK?) had enough gumption to accuse Putin of the Crime of Aggression. Of course, they'd never be able to make a resolution stick due to Russian veto, but at least it would clear the waters.

Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court, Article 8 bis:
1. For the purpose of this Statute, “crime of aggression” means the planning, preparation, initiation or execution, by a person in a position effectively to exercise control over or to direct the political or military action of a State, of an act of aggression which, by its character, gravity and scale, constitutes a manifest violation of the Charter of the United Nations.

2. For the purpose of paragraph 1, “act of aggression” means the use of armed force by a State against the sovereignty, territorial integrity or political independence of another State, or in any other manner inconsistent with the Charter of the United Nations. Any of the following acts, regardless of a declaration of war, shall, in accordance with United Nations General Assembly resolution 3314 (XXIX) of 14 December 1974, qualify as an act of aggression:

(a) The invasion or attack by the armed forces of a State of the territory of another State, or any military occupation, however temporary, resulting from such invasion or attack, or any annexation by the use of force of the territory of another State or part thereof;
(b) Bombardment by the armed forces of a State against the territory of another State or the use of any weapons by a State against the territory of another State;
(c) The blockade of the ports or coasts of a State by the armed forces of another State;
(d) An attack by the armed forces of a State on the land, sea or air forces, or marine and air fleets of another State;
(e) The use of armed forces of one State which are within the territory of another State with the agreement of the receiving State, in contravention of the conditions provided for in the agreement or any extension of their presence in such territory beyond the termination of the agreement;
(f) The action of a State in allowing its territory, which it has placed at the disposal of another State, to be used by that other State for perpetrating an act of aggression against a third State;
(g) The sending by or on behalf of a State of armed bands, groups, irregulars or mercenaries, which carry out acts of armed force against another State of such gravity as to amount to the acts listed above, or its substantial involvement therein.

CrunchyB

FreedomFighter only believes in "alternative" news sources like RT; you guys are wasting your time. He doesn't even believe in Russian involvement in Eastern Ukraine and finds this flight flying over Ukraine "suspicious". Just check his post history

I added him to my ignore list months ago. Worst poster still on NeoGAF.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Russia have political mud over their face then?

do you think they will come out and say we condemn these attacks , those responsible will be bought to Justice we agree to full scale investigation and ask for a stand down on both sides??

she was polite but she put all the responsibility on Russia....
Of course, man. Those are the marching orders. Lithuania going in on Russia too. They have to, Washington said so.

I want to hear what Germany and France have to say. I expect them to be a lot more neutral.

LiK

Duh

"@AP: BREAKING: US envoy to UN: Missile fired on plane likely shot from separatist-held area in East Ukraine."

Aiii

So not worth it
Eye witness account of a woman living at the crash site, who had a body crash into her home. Spoiler tagged for shocking text:
First came the loud explosion that made buildings rattle: then it started raining bodies.

One of the corpses fell through the rickety roof of Irina Tipunova's house in this sleepy village, just after Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 exploded high over eastern Ukraine, where pro-Russian separatists are fighting government forces.

"There was a howling noise and everything started to rattle. Then objects started falling out of the sky," the 65-year-old pensioner said in front of her grey-brick home.

"And then I heard a roar and she landed in the kitchen, the roof was broken," she said, showing the gaping hole made by the body when it came through the ceiling of the kitchen in an extension to the house.

The dead woman's naked body was still lying inside the house, next to a bed.

About 100 meters (330 feet) from Tipunova's home, dozens more dead bodies lay in the wheat fields where the airliner came down on Thursday, killing all 298 people on board.

Still visibly shaken by her experience, Tipunova said: "The body's still here because they told me to wait for experts to come and get it."

Another local resident in her 20s who refused to give her name said she ran outside after hearing the plane explode.

"I opened the door and I saw people falling. One fell in my vegetable patch," she said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/18/us-ukraine-crisis-bodies-idUSKBN0FN1JJ20140718

Christ.

C'mon man, don't misrepresent me. I don't believe there were ever Russian troops in Eastern Ukraine but of course Russia IS involved - Ukraine is too much of an important sphere of influence for Moscow. If you find me saying anything other than that, feel free to link to the post. I've been pretty clear about my stance on all that months back.

Also, until someone told me in this very thread today, I truly didn't know that commercial flights could fly over battlezones. I assumed that wouldn't be a very good thing to do.

pulsemyne

Russia have political mud over their face then?

do you think they will come out and say we condemn these attacks , those responsible will be bought to Justice we agree to full scale investigation and ask for a stand down on both sides??

You will get the investigation bit but they will pin the blame on the Ukraine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom