• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines flight en route from Amsterdam shot down over Ukraine; no survivors

Status
Not open for further replies.

sangreal

No translation?

I need one of those fancy translation headphones right about now. Someone mind helping?

ZGNOw5t.png

At the UNSC, are you allowed to speak in any language you want or are you only allowed to speak in English / French / Russian / Chinese (to match the permanent members languages)?

I only ask because I found it odd that the Lithuanian spoke in English.

Yeah I'm glad at least the UK isn't mincing words. The US needs to make it clear that Russia is a stain on this planet and its civilization. At this point the Ukrainians should just let the separatists leave since anyone that actually wants to be part of that corrupt and vile country is obviously nearly, if not completely, sociopathic.

that level of animosity results in world wars not change from within

At the UNSC, are you allowed to speak in any language you want or are you only allowed to speak in English / French / Russian / Chinese (to match the permanent members languages)?

I believe you can speak anything in the GA but the security council is usually one of the official languages. Since its year round the people there know the language so they just speak what the others speak. there's also games that get played. For example Ukraine will change from english to russian depending on the show they want to put on

Aiii

So not worth it
Statement by Dutch Prime Minister Rutte:
Minister-president Rutte en minister Timmermans (BZ) hebben vrijdagmiddag om 16.15 uur opnieuw een verklaring afgelegd over de vliegtuigramp met MH17 in Oekraïne. Volgens Rutte staat voorop 'dat door middel van onafhankelijk onderzoek duidelijkheid over de feiten wordt geschapen'. Minister Timmermans maakt bekend dat hij vandaag afreist naar Oekraïne.

RUTTE:
Dames en heren, de omvang van de dramatische gebeurtenissen van gisteren in Oekraïne ontvouwt zich vandaag, één dag na dato, in zijn steeds tragischer verschijning. Gisteravond laat kon ik spreken van zeker 154 Nederlandse slachtoffers. Op dit moment zijn het er in ieder geval 189. Vandaag ook komen de verhalen door over individuele reizigers: jongeren, een grote groep wetenschappers, soms hele gezinnen die gistermiddag aan boord zijn gegaan en nietsvermoedend hun kansloze lot tegemoet gingen. En ook steeds meer mensen horen in hun directe omgeving het verschrikkelijke nieuws van mensen die ook aan boord zaten. En dan blijkt weer hoe nauw we in ons kleine land met elkaar verbonden zijn.

Nederland is geschokt door deze dramatische gebeurtenis en leeft intens mee met nabestaanden en dierbaren van de slachtoffers. Festiviteiten worden versoberd en op social media is er een grote stroom aan blijken van medeleven.

Het lijkt erop dat de MH-17 is neergeschoten, maar over de precieze toedracht van de ramp hebben we nog geen duidelijkheid. Voor het kabinet staat daarom voorop dat door middel van onafhankelijk onderzoek duidelijkheid over de feiten wordt geschapen. Onderzoekers van de Nederlandse Onderzoeksraad voor Veiligheid reizen af naar de rampplek. Onbelemmerde toegang tot de plaats van de ramp en tot de gegevens van de zwarte dozen is daarbij absoluut noodzakelijk.

Die oproep heb ik met veel internationale collega's gedaan. Zoals gisteren met de Maleisische premier en de Oekraïense president vandaag onder andere met BK Merkel, President Hollande, President Obama en zojuist telefonisch met de Russische president Poetin. Ook hij heeft mij verzekerd dat Rusland aandringt op een onafhankelijk onderzoek.

Laat een ding glashelder zijn, we willen de onderste steen boven krijgen. En als duidelijk wordt dat dit een aanslag was, zal ik mij er persoonlijk voor inzetten dat de daders worden opgespoord en hun gerechte straf krijgen. Eerder zullen wij niet rusten. Dat zijn wij de onschuldige slachtoffers en hun nabestaanden verplicht.

Zelf zal ik straks eerst het condoleanceregister ondertekenen dat hier op het departement is geopend.

http://www.rijksoverheid.nl/ministeries/az/nieuws/2014/07/18/rutte-de-onderste-steen-boven.html

Quick Translation:
Starts with paying his respects to everyone that died and everyone involved. Says it looks like there was a deliberate attack on the plane, but there is no definite proof for that yet. Main focus of the government now is to uncover the truth, researches are being deployed to the crash site. They want full access to all evidence and black boxes of the plain.

He has spoken to Malaysia and Ukranian leaders, as well as German PM Angela Merkel, French President Hollande, Presidents Obama and Putin.

He vows to get to the bottom of what happened, and personally guarantees to bring justice to those responsible, for the sake of those that died and those they left behind.

RSP

Just saw a photo of an infant that was on the plane.

I can't even imagine the horror that poor little child had to endure.

Joni

Just saw a photo of an infant that was on the plane.

I can't even imagine the horror that poor little child had to endure.

We can only hope the plane was completely destroyed in the air. The people would have known nothing.

Vormund

We can only hope the plane was completely destroyed in the air. The people would have known nothing.

If the missile hit the fuselage, sudden decompression would have killed them nearly instantly. That seems likely considering it came down over a wide area.

LiK

Heard on the news that a woman lost her brother and his wife on the missing plane. Now she lost a stepdaughter in this flight. What a tragedy.

NekoFever

The official languages of the UN are the ones you mentioned plus Arabic and Spanish. You either speak one of those languages (in which case the UN has translators to handle it) or if you want to speak another language you have to provide a translation/translator into one of the official ones.

Edit: https://www.un.org/en/aboutun/languages.shtml

jimi_dini

Has it been officially confirmed that the plane was shot down by Russian rebels who were provided the Buk system by Russia?

That wouldn't really make sense, unless someone trained them for a few months.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/07/17/world/europe/malaysia-airlines-crash-missile/

At normal cruising altitude a civilian passenger aircraft would be out of the range of the sort of manned portable air (defense) systems that we have seen proliferate in rebel hands in east Ukraine," IHS Jane's Defence Weekly's Nick de Larrinaga said in an e-mail.

Such shoulder-mounted weapons at best can reach 15,000 feet, said CNN military analyst Rick Francona, a retired Air Force lieutenant colonel.

"This would indicate a surface-to-air missile or an air-to-air missile, and I think a surface-to-air missile is probably the best guess right now," he said.

The missile system, known as the SA-11 among NATO forces, is operated by both Russian and Ukrainian forces, according to retired Brig.
And it's more than capable of taking down an airliner flying at that altitude, he said.

What seems unlikely is that pro-Russia separatists might have gained control of such a sophisticated piece of weaponry and used it to shoot down an airliner, Ryan said.

"It takes a lot of training and a lot of coordination to fire one of these and hit something," he said.

Typically, a surface-to-air battery missile consists of a command post vehicle, a radar vehicle, several self-propelled launchers, loader vehicles and even more vehicles to carry new missiles to the batteries as necessary, according to Dan Wasserbly, Americas editor for IHS Jane's.

Ryan concludes then that if the plane really was shot down, a professional military force -- either on purpose or by accident -- was responsible.

"This is not the kind of weapon a couple of guys are going to pull out of a garage and fire," he said.

Zukuu

Banned
Unlikely (unless they were in the vicinity of the rocket's impact). The decompression may have numbed most people, but I dunno how that works exactly. They were falling for roughly a minute (45 seconds free fall + air resistance). The whole time today I thought about what I'd think if I was in that plane falling down, knowing my death is certain.

I'm thinking everyone was knocked out long before it hit the ground since the plane hull was breached.

I can't imagine going through something like that. It's really sad, and scary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom