• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines flight en route from Amsterdam shot down over Ukraine; no survivors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nokterian

It was probably already posted, but what the shit?

jiKQiplWInsNI.jpg

They already pulled that and apologized, but seriously, somedoy thought it would be a good idea?

This is a joke right? Why are there bunch of cunts in this world who are thinking this is ok?

Jito

Banned
Pedantic arguments over the definition of terrorism is not what we need here. 298 people have been murdered because of some sick bastards.

Tugatrix

I'm a bit ashamed for my country press, this is front page of a tabloid(the top selling newspaper):

NFSW

The lack of sensibility to avoid using that image it's shocking

Just for the benefits of discussion, a terrorist act is a violent act by a non-government organisation for a political goal (to cause terror in order to strengthen their hand in negotiations, for example).

It's a common debate in first-year International Politics classes, but that's roughly it. There's excellent literature on modern terrorism.

This isn't a terrorist act (AKA an act of terror) if the plane was shot down by accident. It's an act by terrorists, though, if the people who fired the rockets were involved in causing political terror in other ways (e.g. violent night raids on villages with the intent of forcing the government's hand)

No-matter how you slice this, though, it is an unforgivable act of shocking cruelty.

My flight a couple weeks ago from East Africa to Dubai flew over a piece of Yemen and I didn't feel comfortable with that. I can't imagine flying over Afghanistan and Iraq right now. Fuck that. I didn't know that this considered no big deal.

Taliban cave dwellers don't get given extremely powerful high tech anti-air missile systems and training.

If you're going to arm the scum Russia, at least give them low powered munitions.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
If you press the buttom to launch a rocket, you do it intentionally, it doesn't matter if you didn't want to shoot down a civilian plane. Intentional murder is no less intentional just because it's the wrong victim.

That is not what terrorism is. What you just wrote could best be said to be murder or manslaughter, albeit on a higher degree with a large body toll.

Plain wreckage and bodies. While not really gory, it is shocking to see bodies between the wreckage. And especially on the frontpage. for all ages to see.

I realise the Dutch people are in a lot of pain but would you be able to tell us a little about what they're thinking?

Are they sad or angry? Blaming Malaysian Airlines, Russia, Ukraine?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The definition of a terrorist is someone who uses terror to facilitate political gain. I'm not sure how that definition applies in this case. Yes the person who pressed the button did so knowing that they'd be killing someone if it was successful, but that's not really what we're talking about.

Actually is "the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes." or "the unofficial or unauthorized use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims". According to this everything the Russian separatists are doing since they were invented is terrorism. If we want to be pedantic. Not that it matters, they are most probably anyhow guilty of killing 298 civilians and they should be judged for that. And the ones that are funding and providing them weapons and training should at list keep a low profile for a while.

I realise the Dutch people are in a lot of pain but would you be able to tell us a little about what they're thinking?

Well, sad for the most part, and not blaming anyone yet until everything has been confirmed. Intelligence services are working hard. Prime Minister is going to say something today.

itsgreen

Well, sad for the most part, and not blaming anyone yet until everything has been confirmed. Intelligence services are working hard. Prime Minister is going to say something today.

I personally feel sad and a bit powerless, and angry about reports that the launcher might have been moved back into Russia for destruction.

Horrible mistakes happen, but fucking own up to it.

Chariot

I personally feel sad and a bit powerless, and angry about reports that the launcher might have been moved back into Russia for destruction.

Horrible mistakes happen, but fucking own up to it.
Yeah, any reason why anyone would be on their side vanished when started to hide evidence. The seperatists fucked up double-time.

I have a flight in January of 2015 that will likely fly over Ukraine. Should I cancel and book with another airline or campaign my current airline to detour around it?

Sadist

I dunno, but in my area they're all agreeing that Putin can't get away with this. Most of us understand that the Dutch government is careful (PM Rutte wants to have all the facts before saying anything) but with all the reports coming in that the plane was shot out of the air, they seem pretty angry about the separetists and Putin.

Yrael

I have a flight in January of 2015 that will likely fly over Ukraine. Should I cancel and book with another airline or campaign my current airline to detour around it?

I think I'd book another airline (if they're not already detouring around Ukraine, that is - I thought most if not all airlines were at this point).

MikeDown

Banned
I'm a bit ashamed for my country press, this is front page of a tabloid(the top selling newspaper):

NFSW

The lack of sensibility to avoid using that image it's shocking
It always bugs the hell out of me to see tragic and important stories sharing space on the cover with the typical tabloid bs that is no where near as important,

Aiii

So not worth it
I dunno, but in my area they're all agreeing that Putin can't get away with this. Most of us understand that the Dutch government is careful (PM Rutte wants to have all the facts before saying anything) but with all the reports coming in that the plane was shot out of the air, they seem pretty angry about the separetists and Putin.

Emotional me is all "Rutte should be on the phone with the US and EU and call in some favors owed from Iraq and get our ass over there to clean up shop".

Rational me realizes there is very little that can be done here, both politically and military.

It is what it is, here we are.

Sadist

Emotional me is all "Rutte should be on the phone with the US and EU and call in some favors owed from Iraq and get our ass over there to clean up shop".

Rational me realizes there is very little that can be done here, both politically and military.

It is what it is, here we are.
Yup. We won't do anything about it.

Btw, did I read correctly that Putin doesn't want the black box?

I think I'd book another airline (if they're not already detouring around Ukraine, that is - I thought most if not all airlines were at this point).
Currently almost all airlines are changing courses around the ukraine.
You're pretty save.
Yes all airlines are detouring now. But in a few weeks when this is all forgotten I think most airlines will just go back to their "normal" routes. I will be calling my airline in the next few days to see if they have long term plans for detouring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom