• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines flight en route from Amsterdam shot down over Ukraine; no survivors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone give a summary of what the different countries have said (ie. China, Russia). At work, so can't watch.

Russia basically blamed Ukraine for everything, as well as the airline and international community. They didn't address any of the accusations aimed at them.

Didn't hear China's, but I can guess it was pathetically neutral.

189 Dutch
44 Malaysian,
27 Australians,
12 Indonesians,
9 British,
4 Belgians,
4 Germans,
3 Filipinos,
1 Canadian
1 New-Zeeland(ian?)

4 unkown
No Americans? I hope this doesn't affect the U.S's resolve to help in aid or punishing the folks who did this.

Starting to wonder if the other Malaysian airplane was shot down too...

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I'm really concerned that this is going to be the start a Russian/US war :(

kess

Interestingly enough, the International Civil Aviation Organization declared that Crimea is still Ukrainian airspace last week.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I'm really concerned that this is going to be the start a Russian/US war :(

I can't see that happening, more likely Russia will get an economic spanking, Putin won't sabre rattle, A ceasefire will take place and the pro Russian rebels will leave...

this is what I hope anyway

What's new there? The difficulty is condemning Russia for doing a land grab while supporting Israel for doing the same thing.

There's a difference there.

Israel is actually being attacked and has somewhat of a "reason" to defend themselves. Russia is actually supplying the pro-russian seperatists and that is what caused the plane being shot down yesterday, and this all started when Russia invaded Ukraine without actually having the need for it.

WolfStark

Apparently, according to this guy, the video/recording that Ukraine released was made before the crash. Doesn't make any sense, but here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28MrASx-RiM

Could be fake(edit: probably is fake), I honestly don't know, would be nice if someone could verify somehow

Time stamps are pretty awful on the internet. There was a similar thing at the World Cup. Twitter messages that predicted what the result would be, who would made the goal and when but it was all bogus and worked through a trick. Just because you see date or time it must not be the real date or time.

Oh shit, watching an interview with the father of one of the British passengers, he just said he can't go to the crash site or Holland because his wife is terminally ill. So fucking sad.

anything is possible the plane has been missing for 100+ days now

Sure anything is possible, they could also have been shot down from blasts out of Howard Sterns asshole as some idiotic tv prank caller suggested. Doesn't mean that's what happened.

Who (and why) would anyone have shot down that plane over the Indian Ocean?

KingJolly

Banned
Sure anything is possible, they could also have been shot down from blasts out of Howard Sterns asshole as some idiotic tv prank caller suggested. Doesn't mean that's what happened.

Who (and why) would anyone have shot down that plane over the Indian Ocean?

That plane is in a hangar somewhere being turned into a weapon.

Alx

Anyone who's been following this on Twitter should have realised that by now.

Well in geopolitical speech, that means "our intelligence services told us there was definitely misinformation out there, but we can't/won't quote them".

Burai

shitonmychest57
The problem is no militants have experience with these systems. They could have only used them with Russian training so Russia is in a bind on how to react.

They'll find a scapegoat. Some "rogue element" in the Russian army that trained them without Kremlin knowledge. They'll be handed over too.

BFIB

Obama just stated they do not see any reason to send military troops in at this time, beyond what has already been offered to NATO.

So Obama says our military will be used for nothing else besides "meeting our alliance obligations"... so if NATO decides to go to war, the US will come along with it?

Mononoke

Banned
Obama basically said that training to shoot that kind of weapon would have had to come from Russia. So while he's not saying it's Russia's fault, he's basically saying this is connected to Russia's enabling and aid to the separatists (at the very least).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom