• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines flight en route from Amsterdam shot down over Ukraine; no survivors

Status
Not open for further replies.

n0n44m

from the Guardian blog

Rebels turn away OSCE observers

Rebels have turned away the OSCE team at the crash site, Harriet Salem (@HarrietSalem) reports for the Guardian in Grabovo.

She says the OSCE delegation has been turned away without being able to inspect the site. A unit of heavily armed rebels blocked the 30-strong team, cordoning off a large part of the crash site. The inspectors retreated after an hour-long stand-off.

“We will keep coming back tomorrow and the next day and the next day,” said spokesman Michael Bociurkiw. “Tomorrow will be a crunch day. There are a lot of experts from the Netherlands and Malaysia gathering in Kiev as well as relatives.

“The bodies are starting to bloat and decay. An expert team is clearly needed. There is a lot to be done in a short amount of time.”

A small group of aviation inspectors from Kiev were allowed free access to the site.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Seems the rebels are not so interested in an unfettered investigation:

(Twitter, so read from bottom to top)
KnuUegf.jpg

Asshole of the day:

In case anyone is wondering, this guy was quoted as an expert on homosexuality by the Voice of Russia.
From the article:
As for [Stephen] Fry’s contentious comparisons, the expert [Fischer] found paralleles between race, which is immutable, and homosexuality, which is a matter of choice and human will, invalid.

Well that tells me everything I need to know about that person and news outlet.

This is becoming an increasingly aggravating situation. The rebels are coming off as idiotic loose cannons and becoming more erratic as the international eye continues to stare at them.

Zukuu

Banned
No they wont.
Yes they will. Almost all the spokesmen today were DEMANDING a quick and full research of the downing. What do you think they will do when the separatists deny them that? They won't stand idle letting them destroy evidence. They will force access, if they have to via one way or another.

Pickman

Jason "Pie Fucker" Biggs realized that what career he has left might be impacted by his tweets from yesterday and deleted them, then posted a 4-tweet long apology.

Still hope he ends up shit-canned.

No way will they let NATO forces in, most likely it will be UN peacekeepers that don't have any euros on it. Pakistan or Indian or something like fhT

kess

Considering Russia just claimed they would co-operate with an international investigation, it really isn't in their best interests to keep this going on until the UN forces a vote on the issue. A veto would take balls of steel.

CrankyJay

Banned
Jason "Pie Fucker" Biggs realized that what career he has left might be impacted by his tweets from yesterday and deleted them, then posted a 4-tweet long apology.

ooh, were these saved somewhere?

edit: nvm, what an idiot.

Reminds me of when Gilbert Gottfried made his tsunami joke and lost his Afflack gig.

stufte

He made a dark joke and deserves to have his career ruined over it?

I agree that he shouldn't have said it, but wtf people.

LiK

Considering Russia just claimed they would co-operate with an international investigation, it really isn't in their best interests to keep this going on until the UN forces a vote on the issue. A veto would take balls of steel.

Russia hasn't been following what they have said. Called for a ceasefire early in war and yet rebels broke it. Pulled back troops but then troop build up continued after a lil while. All talk.

Jme

ooh, were these saved somewhere?

In this thread:
So I went to TMZ, I don't know...I just wondered if they had scoops. I figured they couldn't have anything. Just curious.

wrong :\

0717-jason-biggs-tweets-4.jpg

Yes he really did 2 hours ago

These are tweets after wards

@JasonBiggs: Hey all you "too soon" assholes- it's a fucking joke. You don't have to think it's funny, or even be on my twitter page at all.

@JasonBiggs: Truly- you losers are literally trying to find shit to get angry about. Channel your issues elsewhere.

@JasonBiggs: That last guy is the kind of person I want following me. All you other pussies please go back to being pussies. Thanks!

@JasonBiggs: Hey @tmz - well done on posting my face next to the wreckage of the plane- you might almost think I actually shot it down!

Pickman

He made a dark joke and deserves to have his career ruined over it?

I agree that he shouldn't have said it, but wtf people.

It wasn't the dark joke, it was how he handled it afterward. He exhibited the general demeanor of a self-entitled asshole and pretty much bragged about being insensitive like it was a selling point to his personality.

Yeah, I'd say fuck the guy.

Knoxcore

Why are we so afraid to respond militarily? The safety of Americans has been compromised by a foreign military.

This is a perfect excuse to ally with Ukraine and protect it's border.

What do you want us to do? Airstrike the separatist? That only makes the situation worse.

Verger

Banned
Russia can claim all they want. They have an easy out of taking "full responsibility" since they can shift any blame to the "Separatists" even though they are operating with their full support.

Also, Putin gives no fucks. He knows he can get away with pretty much anything due to no one wanting to start a fight with him.

NH Apache

Banned
No way will they let NATO forces in, most likely it will be UN peacekeepers that don't have any euros on it. Pakistan or Indian or something like fhT

I agree. Someone has to go in to protect the workers and recover the dead. Seperatists won't accept Ukraine army and probably won't accept NATO. They'll be assuaged by Russia to allow UN though.

As for repercussions, either the separatist leader will step down or similar. I don't see any military action by the West.

kess

Guardian again:

The commander of the rebel unit, a man called Ilya who is known as Commander Glum, expressed annoyance as the OSCE team stood its ground, keen to access the scenes of carnage.

"OSCE came here without negotiating," he shouted, as they prepared to leave. "Now there are none of our bosses here who can be in charge of making a decision, so go away, and when you negotiate this come back.

"We didn’t agree to meet the OSCE here, go away," he added, firing a warning shot.

mantidor

100 scientists, activists and ong people working against hiv/aids dying in this plane gives this already horrible news an incredible bleak picture.

how does explosive decompression kill everyone on board instantly? There have been a few flights that have suffered decompression in mid air without the loss of everyone on board.

You can pretty much guaruntee there would be NATO forces vs Separatists inside Ukraine if it were not for the deep economic ties between EU and Russia. The only reason the British did not come out so strongly as they did along with some other EU nations is because the global economy is so intertwined with each other and that includes Russia
You have odd conspiracy theories.

The west likes to see countries become democratic and join the world of free nations. But we generally are not going to expend our blood & treasure to do so despite anomalies like Iraq (which was clearly NOT just about 'freeing Iraq and establishing democracy' as some would like to claim).

So, no, the west is not chomping at the bit to go to war but only restrained due to energy issues.

Pickman

how does explosive decompression kill everyone on board instantly? There have been a few flights that have suffered decompression in mid air without the loss of everyone on board.

The near-instant change in pressure causes the oxygen supply in the brain to more or less cut itself off like a light switch. You'll not be dead, but completely unconscious in a matter of seconds, and your body will go soon after without the oxygen it needs to survive. On top of that, your plane is in pieces and you're heading for the ground, so you're likely dead either way. It's a really shit way to go.

Thaedolus

Way to go to show the world you're guilty and lose the rest of any support you ever had. The NATO WILL act and will get access by force if they have to.

How does that make any sense? Everyone wants the situation to de-escalate. You do that with diplomacy, not going in with your dick out like you own the world.

Getting more militaries involved would likely start WWIII. Who the fuck wants that over this?

Zukuu

Banned
How does that make any sense? Everyone wants the situation to de-escalate. You do that with diplomacy, not going in with your dick out like you own the world.

Getting more militaries involved would likely start WWIII. Who the fuck wants that over this?
It seems they have "allowed" (what a farce) a few inspectors access to the wreckage. If they had completely blocked off everyone, like I assumed, they would have forced their way in. Not necessarily via military means, but in one way or another. I can promise you that.

It doesn't. Many people will pass out very quickly but others will not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_of_useful_consciousness
It's tied to the time in that the full decompression takes place. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncontrolled_decompression

So yeah, they probably were unconscious / dead pretty quickly.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit

Missed it, what did he post?

Edit: Nevermind. What a moron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom