• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except all the events I described, minus the landing and anything that comes afterwards, have been pretty much confirmed. So what is more realistic, that an experienced pilot landed the plane successfully, or that he crashed it in the middle of nowhere for no reason?

This is the mistake you're making. We don't know what happened up there, so at this point it is just as likely that the pilot crashed the plane for X reason, as it is that the plane landed. It's all just wild speculation.

MogCakes

Wait, so there's a good chance the plane -didn't- crash and in fact something is amiss with the pilots having turned off tracking signals?

Except all the events I described, minus the landing and anything that comes afterwards, have been pretty much confirmed. So what is more realistic, that an experienced pilot landed the plane successfully, or that he crashed it in the middle of nowhere for no reason?

What the fuck does "for now reason" mean? There's a million reasons his "plan", whatever it was, could have failed, and either he decided to crash the plane as a last resort, or it happened beyond his control.

Either way, the plane crashing in the middle of the ocean is infinitely more realistic than the plane being in one piece, and having landed successful somewhere without a shred of evidence- and all 240 passengers either having been murdered, or still alive with absolutely no communication being sent. Both scenarios are nigh-impossible. This isn't a hollywood movie we're living in. The plane has disappeared because it's at the bottom of the ocean somewhere, and all passengers are dead. Yes, that sucks. But there's no other reasonable scenario at this point, in spite of all the conspiracy fantasies, so let's stop fantasizing.

IF the plane is found somewhere on land, I ask the mods to permaban my account. That's how confident I am that this is impossible.

Anything could have happened up there and we know very little is my point.

I'm just saying that people are jumping to conclusions and to not do so. As I've said before, I don't know what happened up there. I just know what information we have. Some people have basically jump to their own conclusions because it's what's suits them.

Ok. But it's probably not the best way to argue your point that anything could have happened by proposing something that we know didn't happen.

Falk

that puzzling face
Wait, so there's a good chance the plane -didn't- crash and in fact something is amiss with the pilots having turned off tracking signals?

Someone turned off tracking signals.

The ACARS was turned off, then the last communication from the cockpit "All right, good night" took place, then the transponder was turned off. Whether these actions were by the same people, is not conclusive.

The reason why I think the plane has crashed in the ocean can be summed up as:

1. It's a huge fucking plane. If it managed to land somewhere, wouldn't somebody have noticed this? It seems a bit far fetched...

2. Has anything similar ever happened, where a commercial flight filled with passengers is hijacked and just completely disappears and manages to land somwhere? When a plane goes missing, it's usually because an accident happened.

Now, why did plane fly completely off course? Who knows... That's what I wanna know.

Totakeke

Possible correction: I'm re-listening to yesterday's Press Conference and I'm convinced that when the Inspector General (Khalid Abu Bakar) refered to "intelligence agencies cleared all the passengers" he may have meant "cleared all THEIR passengers".

This is almost confirmed later on when he re-iterates his answer in Malay in response to another question:

Translated that says "I said, not all. There are some foreign intelligence agencies that have given clearance to all (/their) passengers. But we are still waiting on other agencies and security/police of a few countries that haven't responded to our request for response(?) checks. China and India already have done so,"

It's probably something slightly lost in translation. Bottom line, as of yesterday's presser, not ALL passengers were cleared. China and India, however, have been cleared, possibly among others.

edit

Okay, I'm beginning to regret bringing my sense of humor into this thread. :|

Hmm I see, that does make certain amount of sense.

1. It's a huge fucking plane. If it managed to land somewhere, wouldn't somebody have noticed this? It seems a bit far fetched...

So is this whole incident. If you just asked a random person whether they believe that a commercial 777 can just disappear and not found for a week, they'd think it's far fetched to be plausible too.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
What the fuck does "for now reason" mean? There's a million reasons his "plan", whatever it was, could have failed, and either he decided to crash the plane as a last resort, or it happened beyond his control.

Either way, the plane crashing in the middle of the ocean is infinitely more realistic than the plane being in one piece, and having landed successful somewhere without a shred of evidence- and all 240 passengers either having been murdered, or still alive with absolutely no communication being sent. Both scenarios are nigh-impossible. This isn't a hollywood movie we're living in. The plane has disappeared because it's at the bottom of the ocean somewhere, and all passengers are dead. Yes, that sucks. But there's no other reasonable scenario at this point, in spite of all the conspiracy fantasies, so let's stop fantasizing.

IF the plane is found somewhere on land, I ask the mods to permaban my account. That's how confident I am that this is impossible.

Just so everyone sees this.

(That's several orders of magnitude greater certainty that anyone should have right now)

baphomet

This is correct. The plane didn't land anywhere, and unfortunately, everyone is dead.

MIMIC

Banned
Can we use the evidence that the emergency beacon didn't or hasn't been activated, which signals that the plane has crashed on land or water, meaning it's landed somewhere?

To me, this make it appear more and more apparent that it didn't crash. Furthermore, I was reading this Times of India story and it said that 777s have FOUR independent Emergency Locator Transmitters. I think it's pretty safe to assume that at least one of them is working :)

Also, it has been 9 days. If it crashed in the water, the debris field would be pretty massive by now.....and not a single thing has been recovered so far.

This thing landed somewhere.

2. Has anything similar ever happened, where a commercial flight filled with passengers is hijacked and just completely disappears and manages to land somwhere? When a plane goes missing, it's usually because an accident happened.

A Boeing 727 was stolen in 2003 and never heard from again.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
Both arguments for the plane landing or crashed can be summed up to this:

Stealing a plane and landing it somewhere makes sense from a motivational standpoint. But it would be difficult to pull off.

Crashing a plane making no sense from a motivational standpoint. But it would be really easy to do.

So is this whole incident. If you just asked a random person whether they believe that a commercial 777 can just disappear and not found for a week, they'd think it's far fetched to be plausible too.

If a plane crashes in the ocean, it will take time to find it, as history has shown. A week isn't that long, tbh.

Totakeke

If a plane crashes in the ocean, it will take time to find it, as history has shown. A week isn't that long, tbh.

No, I'm saying that making conclusions off our personal belief as to what is possible and not possible without significant understanding of how everything actually works is a logical fallacy. Just because you think it's far fetched based on your personal views doesn't mean it's as unlikely as it sounds.

A Boeing 727 was stolen in 2003 and never heard from again.

There were no passengers on that plane right? A big difference. So people are speculating that the passengers were killed. But for what reason? These theories are just too damn out there.

The plane crashed in the ocean. Stop living your wet Tom Clancy dreams.

No, I'm saying that making conclusions off our personal belief as to what is possible and not possible without significant understanding of how everything actually works is a logical fallacy. Just because you think it's far fetched based on your personal views doesn't mean it's as unlikely as it sounds.

So what is your theory? That the plane was hijacked, the passengers killed, and it will now be used in the next 9/11 style attack?

Game-Biz

Investigations by Headlines Today revealed that Captain Zaharie normally wished the Nepali security guards posted outside his colony with a Muslim style of salutation as if he was saying salam to him. But on the night when he took the flight nine days ago, he had saluted the guards in the military style.

"There was a striking change in the way he had saluted us that night," said one of the security guards posted outside his house on condition of anonymity, adding, ''it was very unlike him.''
Hmmm...

apana

What are pilots allowed to carry onto a plane? For example can he bring a canister of oxygen? Could he bring any sharp objects?

pilot_650_031714091754.jpg

I don't need to make a theory because I don't know how everything actually works. Just because A is false doesn't mean B has to be true.

What do you think is most likely at this point? That the plane has landed or that it has crashed? That's the only point I'm trying to make here. I'm not trying to come up with theories either. I don't know why the pilot did what he did.

Totakeke

What do you think is most likely at this point? That the plane has landed or that it has crashed? That's the only point I'm trying to make here. I'm not trying to come up with theories either. I don't know why the pilot did what he did.

It's possible to have landed on land or crashed into the ocean. It's all possible. Maybe one is less probable than the other but there's nothing conclusive that rules out one scenario completely.

Pandemic

Malaysian police are investigating a flight engineer who was among the passengers on the missing Malaysia Airlines (MAS) plane, as they focus on the pilots and anyone else on board who had technical flying knowledge, a senior police official said.

The aviation engineer is Mohd Khairul Amri Selamat, 29, a Malaysian who has said on social media he had worked for a private jet charter company.
Source

Maybe he did have help? Who knows though.

crozier

What are pilots allowed to carry onto a plane? For example can he bring a canister of oxygen? Could he bring any sharp objects?
Why would the pilot need a canister of oxygen? The flight deck is on a separate oxygen supply from the cabin.

MIMIC

Banned
There were no passengers on that plane right? A big difference. So people are speculating that the passengers were killed. But for what reason? These theories are just too damn out there.

There were two people on the plane.

But how is that "a big difference" when the issue at hand is the plane itself?

The plane crashed in the ocean. Stop living your wet Tom Clancy dreams.

There is not a single thing that leads to this conclusion. Although there are several that indicate that it didn't crash.

Ecotic

Pilot has that crazy twinkle in his eye, not that 'true believer filled with hate' Al Qaeda look, but a sort doesn't know what he's doing anymore look.

There were two people on the plane.

But how is that "a big difference" when the issue at hand is the plane itself?

There is not a single thing that leads to this conclusion. Although there are several that indicate that it didn't crash.

Because if the plane landed, it's slightly more difficult to make 200 people "disappear" than it is 2 people. Unless all 200 passengers were killed...

There is no single thing that leads to any conclusion right now. It's all speculation, and in my opinion, it is more probable that the plane crashed.

Because if the plane landed, it's slightly more difficult to make 200 people "disappear" than it is 2 people. Unless all 200 passengers were killed...

There is no single thing that leads to any conclusion right now. It's all speculation, and in my opinion, it is more probable that the plane crashed.

Passengers were killed when the plane rose to 45,000ft and pilot disabled pressurization.

If the plane landed in Taliban-controlled territory as suspected, getting rid of 200 dead bodies is the least of their worries...

Passengers were killed when the plane rose to 45,000ft and pilot disabled pressurization.

If the plane landed in Taliban-controlled territory as suspected, getting rid of 200 dead bodies is the least of their worries...

Wouldn't that mean having to fly through India without being detected by any radar? Indian officials said that the plane couldn't have flown over Indian airspace.

And, suspected by whom? Reddit detectives?

The landed in afghanistan/pakistan theory is the craziest thing i have ever heard..its a fuckin plane, it would show up on air defenses/military radars/naked eye

MIMIC

Banned

The plane ascended to 45,000 feet. That right there is enough to incapacitate the passengers.

So it's probable that an experienced pilot who flew for five-seven hours AFTER disabling the monitoring system....just crashed it? Additionally, the four emergency transmitters, which emit a signal when the plane crashes, have yet to be heard from.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I wonder if they ever looked properly into the claims of passenger mobile phones ringing at the time when it sounded more inplausible than it is after the latest revelations.

Falk

that puzzling face

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...pported_anwar_ibrahim_was_he_a_terrorist.html

I suggest you read this.

Specifically:
Last year, his opposition party claimed to have won the election against the ruling party, a contest that many say was marred by widespread fraud. Anwar supported the massive protests that followed the ruling party’s supposed victory, but he never called for a toppling of the government.

If the t-shirt makes him a suspect, there are hundreds of thousands of suspects in Malaysia.

Not saying he didn't do it, but I'm saying don't base your conclusions around a big heap of circumstance. You're using the term 'proof' extremely liberally.

So it's probable that an experienced pilot who flew for five-seven hours AFTER disabling the monitoring system....just crashed it? Additionally, the four emergency transmitters, which emit a signal when the plane crashes, have yet to be heard from.
So it's probable that the pilot flew the plane over/landed it in a foreign country without being detected at all? Which country could this be? You should probably notify them so that they can increase their security.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom