• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO the real question is whether it was possible for the plane to land on any of the possible airstrips in the Maldives and around without getting noticed. All of them seem like fairly busy airports that would've picked up on a rogue 777 landing in their backyard.

With perhaps the exception of this airport here:

https://goo.gl/maps/4DSWq - Hanimaadhoo International Airport

Which happens to have:

1- A strip that is long enough for a 777.
2- A low enough profile which could probably be corrupted into welcoming a rogue plane.
3- A mosque attached to it, so the muslim are in full force. Place must be a turrist haven.

Perfect place to land a plane for turrists to load up with a nuke and bomzaldroppen!

greepoman

I wouldn't have thought a car-like GPS tracker system would cost much to implement.

Place it within the black box or hide it elsewhere in the plane and upgrade it to survive a crash and deep water and just switch it on as and when a plane crashes or goes "missing".

Too simple?

Car gps only receives. The real cost is transmittal over long distances. And how would you switch it on?

I wouldn't have thought a car-like GPS tracker system would cost much to implement.

Place it within the black box or hide it elsewhere in the plane and upgrade it to survive a crash and deep water and just switch it on as and when a plane crashes or goes "missing".

Too simple?
I doubt you can get a satellite signal through deep water. And you're looking at two opposing requirements - durability and amazing signal strength... the black box casing alone would already be compromising all signal strength?

rykomatsu

With perhaps the exception of this airport here:

https://goo.gl/maps/4DSWq - Hanimaadhoo International Airport

Which happens to have:

1- A strip that is long enough for a 777.
2- A low enough profile which could probably be corrupted into welcoming a rogue plane.
3- A mosque attached to it, so the muslim are in full force. Place must be a turrist haven.

No place large enough around the airport to hide a 777, though, unless they clear cut the forest or something

THE:MILKMAN

I was just basing the tracker info on the implementation in cars. If it is impractical/unworkable in planes fair enough.

I think I'm just shocked that a commercial plane can go missing for 10 days in this day and age and am just grasping at straws.

Anyone got a link to that other plane (727?) that disappeared, never to be seen again about 10 years ago? I want read what they did to try and find it.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Plus some fishermen today said they saw a plane crash into the Malacca Straits.

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/breaking-...saw-plane-crash-around-malacca-straits-333686

So that's 3:

- Oil Rig workers off Vietnam
- Maldives residents
- Malacca Straits fishermen

Which testimony is more reliable?

This whole thing is just an elaborate Shrodinger's experiment by Aliens. The plane was shot with some kind of beam and cloned into a few identical planes, which in turn flew in different directions, containing the same people with different motives. Some planes crashed, some planes landed. Some were hijacked while some had technical difficulties. The first possibility that gets found and confirmed will end up determining the path that our future takes.

nilbog21

Banned
they need to give public access to live satellite imaging across the oceans. trust me reddit would find that shit in less than an hour

Flo_Evans

I wonder if they did enter some interdimensional rift does their multiverse contain no other people? Like they are probably flying around the globe and wondering what happened to everyone else while we are searching for them.

Qazaq

Banned
BusinessInsider has it. Find the link.

Tire-fire. Smoke began filling the cockpit. Pilots turn off various systems to try and isolate the problem one and figure out where smoke is coming from.

Plane is programmed manually toward the 13,000 foot long runway nearest to where it currently is.

Pilots pass out and/or suffocate, plane flies on autopilot for seven hours.

Simple, plausible, makes sense.

Sun Drugs

I blame the Creator of the simulation. He got bored and decided to create an anomaly in order to see how humans would react. It is the most logical explanation.

Jezbollah

Tire-fire. Smoke began filling the cockpit. Pilots turn off various systems to try and isolate the problem one and figure out where smoke is coming from.

Plane is programmed manually toward the 13,000 foot long runway nearest to where it currently is.

OMG CASE CLOSED.

I wish we actually had more facts so we could cut the BS.

It's just a repost of that pilot's theory posted on Google Plus.

Yeah, it's this pilot's theory:

https://plus.google.com/106271056358366282907/posts/GoeVjHJaGBz
(also see his follow-up post on "Yesterday 10:11 AM")

Z_Y

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2014/03/mh370-electrical-fire/

Similar take. (Sorry of this has already been posted...I haven't kept up with this thread.)

Seems logical to me. Who knows where that thing ended up?

Why wouldn't the pilots put on their oxygen masks? Seems like the obvious thing to do in this situation.

Ovid

All without contacting ATC.

Makes sense.

cjp

Yeah, it's this pilot's theory:

https://plus.google.com/106271056358366282907/posts/GoeVjHJaGBz
(also see his follow-up post on "Yesterday 10:11 AM")

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2014/03/mh370-electrical-fire/

Similar take. (Sorry of this has already been posted...I haven't kept up with this thread.)

Seems logical to me. Who knows where that thing ended up?

Why wouldn't the pilots put on their oxygen masks? Seems like the obvious thing to do in this situation.

I came across this theory but then read a few comments which seem to oppose it.

An excellent theory when it was posted. But it is no longer consistent with the (apparent) fact that ACARS 'keep alive' transmissions were received for 7 hours.

and

"I have to say that the simplest explanation is the most likely: fire & crash."
Why?
When it is known that the plane's equipment has been deliberately reconfigured before the plane itself has changed course the simplest explanation must surely be - it has been stolen, no?

Smoke starts filling the cockpit. Pilot with many thousands of hours of flight time, who has been employed by MA since 1981, decides that "oh, hey, I will put my oxygen mask and contact ATC with a distress signal in a minute, but I need to flip random switches off and reprogram the flight to go completely off course before that!"

And for this to happen less than a minute following signing off with Malay ATC.

And for the plane to inexplicably be capable of several more turns, and either fly straight into the heart of Asia without getting detected by anybody's radar or to quite close to Australia. Whilst on fire. And the fire and pilot stupidity to have knocked out every single mechanism on the plane designed to communicate with the outside world excluding one obscure mechanism that bleeped out to a satelite over seven hours after smoke started filling the cockpit.

Edit: My guess, for what it is worth.

Plane leaves Malay ATC. Actor then acts to do the following:

Kill or incapacitate the innocents on board.
Switch off all known communication devices on the plane, forgetting about the obscure signal that pings the satellite.
Will be flying blind at high altitude - however, having planned out their actions meticulously, the actor has a rock solid plan for their route.
They fly this route, getting out of radar range then disappearing, as planned, anticipating that their crime will take a while to be spotted and longer for people to even realise there was a crime.
The actor then either managed, via some deed, to fly into central Asia without being discovered by any of the states whose airspace they violate (unlikely but fits the James Bond levels of deviousness above - the "Tom Clancy") or south, ending up off the west coast of Australia (without anywhere to land or even a mechanism with which to save their own life - the "Insane and Suicidal")

Of course, both of these plans could have hit friction - i.e. something went wrong.

Neither of these options are perfect. TC requires both balls the size of melons and the ingenuity to pass several country's air defense mechanisms. IS requires a very specific kind of insanity.

Flo_Evans

I blame the Creator of the simulation. He got bored and decided to create an anomaly in order to see how humans would react. It is the most logical explanation.

Wat if we accidentally the pilots home computer? We are all just sims in his computer and he simply walked away for a bathroom break.

Now the government or whoever is going to take the simulator apart and erase us! AHHHHHHHHH*

*I may have taken too much dayquil today.

elty

1) So the pilot has the time to turns off the system one by one, but not enough time to get a MAYDAY out?
2) Modern auto pilot set to a nearby airport should keep circling near it once it reach the destination, without any intervention. It won't just keep flying straight away from it. If somehow the airport didn't notice an unknown plane was flying nearby, then the crash would happen near the airport. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helios_Airways_Flight_522

So... the plane kept flying for 7 hours with a fire on board?

The lack of any contact to ATC (SOS, mayday, etc) and the plane continued flying for 7 hours leads me to believe in a deliberate act by the pilot(s).

My question is why no passengers attempted to use their cellphone. Either they didn't realize something was going on (unlikely), they were never in an area of cellphone coverage, or there were others in the plane part of this and controlling the passengers.

The lack of any contact to ATC (SOS, mayday, etc) and the plane continued flying for 7 hours leads me to believe in a deliberate act by the pilot(s).

My question is why no passengers attempted to use their cellphone. Either they didn't realize something was going on (unlikely), they were never in an area of cellphone coverage, or there were others in the plane part of this and controlling the passengers.
If you are flying, you are never in an area of cellphone coverage.

I find it unlikely that a plane the size of this 777 could fly below radar range for any length of time. In addition, you have other forms of signal intelligence beyond radar, and a 777 somehow flying at very low altitude for a long time would be noticed.

Edit: My guess, for what it is worth.

Plane leaves Malay ATC. Actor then acts to do the following:

Kill or incapacitate the innocents on board.
Switch off all known communication devices on the plane, forgetting about the obscure signal that pings the satellite.
Will be flying blind at high altitude - however, having planned out their actions meticulously, the actor has a rock solid plan for their route.
They fly this route, getting out of radar range then disappearing, as planned, anticipating that their crime will take a while to be spotted and longer for people to even realise there was a crime.
The actor then either managed, via some deed, to fly into central Asia without being discovered by any of the states whose airspace they violate (unlikely but fits the James Bond levels of deviousness above - the "Tom Clancy") or south, ending up off the west coast of Australia (without anywhere to land or even a mechanism with which to save their own life - the "Insane and Suicidal")

How do you 'kill/incapacitate' 240 people without doing some damage to the plane?

If you are flying, you are never in an area of cellphone coverage.

right. and this plane had no wifi either, so really no way to communicate with someone outside the plane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom