• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Holy Fucking Shit. That's got to be it.

HY19SATELLITE_IMAG_1795993f.jpg

What is your logic here? I mean i'm not claiming to know either way but why are you so sure?

Falk

that puzzling face
You know, considering every theory out there gets reposted every few hours, and the number of theories increase as time goes by, it goes to follow to the logical conclusion that the rate of posts in this thread is only going to keep climbing exponentially until it tears a hole in time and space.

MIMIC

Banned
So that satellite image is just "old" and not "fake"? Because that would suck if someone just shopped that together to make it seem like it was the missing plane.

The guy has since addressed the new info and his theory is still one of the most valid.

No it does not. It claims the pilot was extinguishing flames by diving the plane? Seriously? And for some reason the author thinks disabling ACARS is like solving a chess puzzle to most pilots.

Mashing

I can't believe a troll would stoop to releasing fake satellite photos for something like this. I mean that goes beyond internet troll into the realm of fucking scumbag. If it was his boss I'd probably fire him for a stunt like that.

SpyGuy239

Sorry guys, disappointed to find out that the news was fake ):

man this is really a mystery, it's over a week now since the plane went missing!

This really scares me, as I fly rather frequently. I'm sure many feel the same way as well.

And no closure for the affected as well. This is so depressing ):

I can't believe a troll would stoop to releasing fake satellite photos for something like this. I mean that goes beyond internet troll into the realm of fucking scumbag. If it was his boss I'd probably fire him for a stunt like that.
There were similar things for 9/11. Like that one photo on top of one of the towers as a plane was getting closer.

I don't think is any less far-fetched than any other theories. More mundane yes, but it still would have to be an extremely specific fire for it to lead to this outcome. No time to mayday, everyone incapacitated before they can put on masks, plane still OK to fly for 7 more hours, etc.

It's the "selective fire" theory.

BearPawB

Banned

i doubt it was an on purpose troll. I believe the guy may have legitimately thought he found something.

Tapiozona

Banned
yeah google maps does a pretty good job of catching them

capturebks1t.png

capture2c2syx.png

obviously hard to tell what altitude they're flying at though

Google aerial photography does not use satellites. All of the images you see on google and Bing, etc are all shot from a plane and at a lower altitude than commercial aircraft. The times they do catch planes its because they're landing or taking off.

No it does not. It claims the pilot was extinguishing flames by diving the plane? Seriously? And for some reason the author thinks disabling ACARS is like solving a chess puzzle to most pilots.
No, his first suggestion is that the altitude readings are incorrect:

Reports of altitude fluctuations. Well given that this was not transponder generated data but primary radar at maybe 200 miles the azimuth readings can be affected by a lot of atmospherics and I would not have high confidence in this being totally reliable.

He then goes on to suggest that if readings were accurate, it could have been a climb to 45000ft to starve a fire of oxygen, and a stall situation happened which then recovered at 25000ft. Nowhere does he suggest diving to extinguish flames.

Ty4on

Already posted?

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2014/03/mh370-electrical-fire/

The simplest answer is usually the right one.
That was a common theory before it got known that the plane flew for hours after going silent. The satellite ping was after 7.5 hours so I doubt there was a fire. A fire would also most likely be reported by at least one system, but AFAIK the ACARS shut down before the last radio transmission indicating it was done on purpose.

No, his first suggestion is that the altitude readings are incorrect:

He then goes on to suggest that if readings were accurate, it could have been a climb to 45000ft to starve a fire of oxygen, and a stall situation happened which then recovered at 25000ft. Nowhere does he suggest diving to extinguish flames.

As for the reports of altitude fluctuations, given that this was not transponder-generated data but primary radar at maybe 200 miles, the azimuth readings can be affected by a lot of atmospherics and I would not have high confidence in this being totally reliable. But let’s accept for a minute that the pilot may have ascended to 45,000 feet in a last-ditch effort to quell a fire by seeking the lowest level of oxygen. That is an acceptable scenario. At 45,000 feet, it would be tough to keep this aircraft stable, as the flight envelope is very narrow and loss of control in a stall is entirely possible. The aircraft is at the top of its operational ceiling. The reported rapid rates of descent could have been generated by a stall, followed by a recovery at 25,000 feet. The pilot may even have been diving to extinguish flames.

Please read the article you are defending.

sangreal

Google aerial photography does not use satellites. All of the images you see on google and Bing, etc are all shot from a plane and at a lower altitude than commercial aircraft. The times they do catch planes its because they're landing or taking off.

I find that hard to believe considering Google bought Keyhole, which used to make software incredibly similar to Google Earth using Satellite images (before Google incorporated aerial images or launched Google Earth). I also don't think Google would have planes flying over every inch of the ocean

duckroll

- The ACARS transmits every 30 minutes. The last transmission was 1:07 AM.
- The final message from the co-pilot was at 1:19 AM.
- The transponder was turned off at 1:21 AM.
- At 1:37 AM the ACARS did not transmit as expected.

These are the facts we know now. It does not mean the ACARS was definitely turned off before 1:19 AM. It could have been turned off at the same time as the transponder after the final message.

BearPawB

Banned
I find that hard to believe considering Google bought Keyhole, which used to make software incredibly similar to Google Earth using Satellite images (before Google incorporated aerial images or launched Google Earth). I also don't think Google would have planes flying over every inch of the ocean

go look at a google map of the indian ocean....there isnt any real pictures there

Tapiozona

Banned

Figured I should have been more specific but I was on my phone and didn't feel like typing it out. Any images over land with any sort of detail are all taken by plane. If you zoom out to country/continent/world level it will be satellite imagery along with remote areas that no one cares to fly and even those are generally done by plane with a wider angle lens and much crappier resolution. Water would also be satellite imagery mixed with texture fills (the majority of it) but also taken a very long time ago. The only images they frequently update are the aerial photographs

Oersted

Just have seen a report. The families are completely burned out, some threatening hunger strike. I can't even imagine how horrible they must feel. Its a fascinating puzzle for us, but for them... just a complete nightmare without waking up.

What if the plane never left the airport?

m-night-shyamalan.jpg

"The greatest trick the pilot ever pulled was convincing the world the plane left."

i kid i kid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom