• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingFire

Banned
Even if crushed the data can still be recoverable in some instances. Modern recorders use flash memory which could be perfectly usable even if everything around it is destroyed or the electronics don't function normally.

Don't you think a flash memory would be destroyed if the black box is destroyed?

HoosTrax

Were they just systematically searching along the arc and finally found something? Or is there something that hasn't been disclosed that lead them to a more specific spot?

(pending confirmation obviously)

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Were they just systematically searching along the arc and finally found something? Or is there something that hasn't been disclosed that lead them to a more specific spot?

Something was mentioned about the search area being dramatically reduced.

Linsies

I believe they said they got the general location from the NTSB.

The Amsa general manager, John Young, revealed in a video update that the search area had been “significantly refined” from the area searched on previous days using “better, more
detailed analysis” from the US National Transport Safety Bureau (NTSB).

ETA: General location...and confirmation.

seanoff

couple of things.

the FDR and CVR can be turned off. so even if they are recovered, they may not have anything of them. esp given the fact the transponder appears to have been disabled deliberately.

HoosTrax

Something was mentioned about the search area being dramatically reduced.

I believe they said they got the general location from the NTSB.

The Amsa general manager, John Young, revealed in a video update that the search area had been “significantly refined” from the area searched on previous days using “better, more
detailed analysis” from the US National Transport Safety Bureau (NTSB).

ETA: General location...and confirmation.

Hmm, sounds like they're playing their cards close to their chest, for now.

Qvoth

So it seems like western part of Australia is almost confirmed?

Did the Indonesian government ever mention anything about unidentified plane crossing southward to Australia?

I got a friend who's basically in this industry, he might know some things lol

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I think a crash in the southern Indian ocean points more toward accident than deliberate takeover, but whichever it is it'll be one hell of a story since nothing is really straight forward in either scenario.

I still like the scenario that the pilot came up with where he thinks the guy made a deliberate turn for the largest airport in the area, explains the acars etc turning off would happen due to pilots pulling breakers due to electrical fire and they were eventually overcome by smoke.

edit: I don't 'like' the scenario but it sounds like best explanation thus far.

I still like the scenario that the pilot came up with where he thinks the guy made a deliberate turn for the largest airport in the area, explains the acars etc turning off would happen due to pilots pulling breakers due to electrical fire and they were eventually overcome by smoke.

Still doesn't explain how they ended up where they seem to have ended up...

I cant exactly picture an accident flying so far off unless we are counting a fatal human error as an accident. Flying blind maybe?

Honestly still think it's pilot suicide, even if it's the plane. It just makes the most sense, even though it doesn't make much sense for him to fly for hours just to crash the plane. If the reports are true that the autopilot was changed before the last sign-off with the pilots, it has to be a suicide or some intention of hijacking.

KingFire

Banned
Honestly still think it's pilot suicide, even if it's the plane. It just makes the most sense, even though it doesn't make much sense for him to fly for hours just to crash the plane

Could be. Maybe he wanted to go as far as possible so nobody would ever find the plane? I can't find a good reason to do that though. Hell, I can't find any good reason to commit suicide by crashing a plane full of innocent people instead of hanging yourself in your bedroom.

seanoff

in which case they'd have put it down at Kota Bahru, which they just flew over before turning left. its near 2000m, in an absolute emergency, that would be enough.

or the Penang or Phuket, or Langkawi.

the track i've seen is turning at waypoints. this has to be deliberate. not something you'd do in a fire. which is GTFO of the air ASAP. not tour malaysia, thailand and indonesia.

KHarvey16

Current and former 777 pilots have commented that the checklist for smoke or fire in the cabin has one pilot flying the plane and communicating with the ground or nearby aircraft and the other pilot trying to fix the problem. Apparently pulling breakers is a ways down the checklist and wouldn't likely include the transponders in any case. There is also a specific warning for landing gear bay over temp, so the idea a fire could smolder unnoticed 40 minutes into the flight seems unlikely. The pilots also have full face mask oxygen so it would take quite a bit for them to be incapacitated.

seanoff

I like this theory.

Bi79xK_CYAIR8Vc.jpg:medium

if they can do that by accident i'd be amazed. they are turning at designated waypoints. a non-pilot would be all over the sky.

If that's the plane, it's amazing that it ended up 3000 miles south of its last known position. What a fucking horror show if passengers were conscious the entire time, regardless of the circumstances.

I don't believe in a god but I understand why people do. You want to believe people could know peace after going through something like this. I hope they found some comfort within and with each other during their last moments, and that the families can have some kind of closure, awful as the finality of it must be, if this is the crash site.

Dryk

I don't think I'll be able to stomach the smug racism if we're the ones to find the damn thing :(
Could be. Maybe he wanted to go as far as possible so nobody would ever find the plane?
The deepest place on Earth is about as far away though.
461px-Marianatrenchmap.png

HoosTrax

Still think whatever precipitated the whole thing was no accident. As for the inexplicable final location, maybe the pax eventually breached the cockpit, but there was nothing to be done at that point, with no way of contacting ATC, other than fly around aimlessly until out of fuel.

raindoc

Current and former 777 pilots have commented that the checklist for smoke or fire in the cabin has one pilot flying the plane and communicating with the ground or nearby aircraft and the other pilot trying to fix the problem. Apparently pulling breakers is a ways down the checklist and wouldn't likely include the transponders in any case. There is also a specific warning for landing gear bay over temp, so the idea a fire could smolder unnoticed 40 minutes into the flight seems unlikely. The pilots also have full face mask oxygen so it would take quite a bit for them to be incapacitated.

where are their O2 tanks located? remember that australian 747 that "almost crashed" a couple of years ago, after (one of) the main O2 tanks malfunctioned and exploded, tearing a hole in the plane?

Pandemic

A flight crew scouring the southern Indian Ocean for a missing Malaysia Airlines plane tells ABC News that they're getting radar hits of "significant size," indicating something lurking below the water's surface.

ABC News' David Wright, the only TV reporter on board the US Navy P-8 Poseidon, said the crew tells him the radar indicates "there is something down there."

It is still too early to tell if the radar hits are related to the missing plane, which was carrying 239 people when it disappeared on March 8.
Source

I'm hoping they've found the aircraft, but I'd much rather it be hijacked with survivors..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom