• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.
better pic showing the area in relation to the ping arc.

search-area-for-flight-mh370.jpg

Vagabundo

I've a goot feeling this could be it. Obviously a big disappointment for the family hoping for a miracle but it's better to find it and have some closure.

syllogism

If these objects turn out to be debris from mh370, it's incredibly impressive that they found them this quickly, considering the kind of evidence they had to rely on and how far away they were from the last confirmed position.

Phthisis

If these objects turn out to be debris from mh370, it's incredibly impressive that they found them this quickly, considering the kind of evidence they had to rely on and how far away they were from the last confirmed position.

If it turns out to be the plane, I just want to go on record as saying I called it:

Last time there was a specific location given from the USA, it was just prior to the announcement that the plane did in fact turn west and head towards the Andaman Islands, and that was when they sent a destroyer out past the search areas in the Strait of Malacca to look for debris. Good sign.

Clearly the American agents investigating this know a lot more specifics (or have some good hunches) than has been released to the public.

The US had way more intel than they were letting on if this is, in fact the plane (and I have a suspicion it is given how quickly and specifically search resources were directed to this location).

Mondy

Banned
It probably doesn't need to be said at all, but can I just emphasize to our foreign brethren that the RAAF is full of some of the greatest men and women you will ever find in Australia. They do their jobs remarkably well every time they're deployed, so they have my full confidence in treating this possibility of finding the plane professionally and competently.

As Dryk said, to combat any perceived racism (which is quite sad, that we as decent aussies would need to openly state that we're the "good ones"), I will not comment on the effectiveness of the Malaysian search. I will leave that up to their own locals.

If it turns out to be the plane, I just want to go on record as saying I called it:

The US had way more intel than they were letting on if this is, in fact the plane (and I have a suspicion it is given how quickly and specifically search resources were directed to this location).

That's because they had already shot down the plane at Diego Garcia and were looking for a good place to dump a 777. Or at least that's what I hear on Twitter.

Ecotic

I can't say I'm convinced. You had megatsunamis that hit Southeast Asia in 2004 and Japan in 2011 that probably washed fields of debris the size of Delaware out into the oceean, this could just be a wayward something that got carried out to nowhere by currents.

I'm really surprised there's not more large junk just floating around in the ocean that would have been found by people worldwide scouring Google Earth photos for the plane.

I can't say I'm convinced. You had megatsunamis that hit Southeast Asia in 2004 and Japan in 2011 that probably washed fields of debris the size of Delaware out into the oceean, this could just be a wayward something that got carried out to nowhere by currents.

I'm really surprised there's not more large junk just floating around in the ocean that would have been found by people worldwide scouring Google Earth photos for the plane.

yup, the longer time passes the more dispersed any debris will be.

these rubber ducks are crazy.
Thousands-of-rubber-ducks-to-land-on-British-shores.jpg

catmincer

I feel like the Australian government wouldn't have said anything if they weren't sure. I am optimistic this will be pieces of the plane.

freefornow

I'm not an expert... but I can't tell the difference between that patch and the other bright patches in the image.

5335080-3x2-940x627.jpg

Dimensions of the Boeing 777-200ER

Wing span: 60.9 metres
Overall length: 63.7 metres
Tail height: 18.5 metres
Fuselage diameter: 6.19 metres

Possibly tail still attached to some part of the fuselage?

Falk

that puzzling face
They're not gonna release the magic IR/UV versions of those sat images that reveal they have the ability to track everyone on the planet through the roofs of your houses.

They're in on it I tell you. In on it!

On a more serious note I have to agree that after all the posturing and such I'd be very surprised if there is something out there. It might not be MH370 but they do seem certain that it -is- something

novenD

UPDATE: US 7th Fleet spokesperson: Radar hits seen by US P-8 not believed linked to objects identified by Australians - @LMartinezABC

From BBC News.

Guess that nixes the "something" down there.

Sean*O

Stuff will drift on the surface but is less likely to do so at the bottom and didn't they say they see something down there beneath the surface on radar?

The search aircraft is reporting "multiple radar returns" according to the BBC.

Edit: To clarify, I'm referring to the Australian aircraft

novenD

Oh man.......

Maybe Australia should have waited on holding a press conference until after they investigated the area a bit.

Australia may still have found wreckage; the rader contacts a U.S plane in the area made are apparently unrelated, but that doesn't mean the debris on the satellite image isn't from the plane.

oipic

From BBC News.

Guess that nixes the "something" down there.

That's not how I interpret that snippet - this to me says that the US P-8 hits came back from 'something', but not the objects identified in the radar images.

That doesn't necessarily rule out these objects being related to the plane, does it? I could be reading it incorrectly, perhaps.

saunderez

That's not how I interpret that snippet - this to me says that the US P-8 hits came back from 'something', but not the objects identified in the radar images.

That doesn't necessarily rule out these objects being related to the plane, does it? I could be reading it incorrectly, perhaps.
That's how I took it too. They found something, it's just not the same something Australia is investigating.

liquidtmd

Banned

This is equally how I read it

novenD

It doesn't rule it out, but a radar contact bereft of any surface debris seems unlikely to be related to the jet at all, considering how many other things could generate such a contact.

Sean*O

It doesn't rule it out, but a radar contact bereft of any surface debris seems unlikely to be related to the jet at all, considering how many other things could generate such a contact.

Have they specified the exact location of the hits beneath the water vs the surface debris?

novenD

Just found This.

Crew members told ABC News that they received radar hits of "significant size," indicating something lurking below the water's surface -- but Commander William Marks, spokesman for the US Navy's 7th Fleet, later said the radar return was typical, and not connected to the missing plane.

Yeah, the contacts weren't related at all.

The BBC Today programme played a conversation with someone on-board the Australian plane - he sounded quite positive. They were getting close to visual range, so we should hear something soon.

Edit: Looks like that was recorded a while before I heard it. The Australian plane is due back in Perth soon according to The Telegraph's live update page.

antonz

Any floating wreckage has had almost 2 weeks of travel time. If it is indeed the plane it helps narrow down the area but still 2 weeks of ocean current to deal with though current can be tracked pretty easy

NeoROCK

If they were flying south to the middle of nowhere, you really have to wonder what the End game was.

Was it just a joy ride for the pilot?

NateDrake

How far is this from Ile Amsterdam? I´m still trying to figure out, what they tried to accomplish/where they were heading.

The location of the debris area is a fair distance from the location of Amsterdam Island.

The island is found at these coordinates: 37.8258° S, 77.5547° E

Large Debris Lat: -43° 58' 33.9996" Long: 90° 57' 37.0008"
Small Debris Lat: -44° 3' 2.0016" Long: 91° 13' 27.0006"

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Zucker should be shamed out of yet another job for hamfisting CNN to cover this 24/7, leading them to jump the gun and sensationalize every new lead, no matter how small. Unfortunately it is paying ratings dividends, but they are diving their remaining credibility deep into the septic tank.

The air that was sucked out of Anderson Cooper after the meteorologist came on and spoke about the currents in the search area creating garbage trench and shipping containers being knocked off of ships in that area and to caution viewers about this new "discovery" you would have thought he just learned his mother had passed.

liquidtmd

Banned
Slight OT 70% of the worlds surface is covered by water and a vast proportion of those depths remain unexplored.

With all the resources being pulled for a short time towards looking for this plane, you've got to wonder what other countless secrets those depths hold and if we'd stop fighting collectively and start truly exploring - lord knows what could be achieved.

Claim my tin foil hats come out to play, but if UFO's have ever crashed landed on Earth odds are higher they landed in water than land.

Jonah Fisher BBC News, Kuala Lumpur says the US Navy P-8 Poseidon aircraft is currently flying over the area where the objects were spotted. It is scanning both the surface of the water and underneath. Our correspondent says officials are expecting this search plane to give the first indication of whether the debris could be linked to the missing plane. - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-26659583

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom