• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidtmd

Banned
http://www.legalcheek.com/2014/03/malaysian-airlines-flight-mh370-was-shot-down-by-chinese-missile-claims-practising-barrister/

Okay, this bloke is claiming the plane was infact shot down by Chinese subs. Not sure if old, but thoughts on the situation?

By the same guy on the same page:

Shrimpton also stated that he had been involved in the search for Madeleine McCann as "part of team who located her in a vessel off Morocco" during a rescue operation that was subsequently "blocked in Whitehall".

Nope. Not buying it in the slightest. And nothing really fits with the Chinese Sub theory. They turn off the comm's, do a U-Turn, get shot down and then the Chinese fake a satellite ping????

Well I hope there are some answers, I would be very surprised it the debris found is the plane and if it is then I hope they get some answers as to why it has flown all the way out there.

liquidtmd

Banned
Not much new in the Press Conference:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/malaysia/10710250/Malaysian-Airlines-MH370-live.html

09.58 There is confusion over when exactly the satellite footage was taken.

09.57 Hussein makes comparisons with the the French air crash in 2009 because the conditions in the Indian ocean are similar to the conditions in the Atlantic where that plane was found. He says that he has been speaking to the French team who had to deal with the passengers of that crash for two years about "how to deal with raw emotions".

09.54 Hussein has expressed "regret" over the incident yesterday where some relatives of the passengers were dragged from the news conference, " we do feel for them" he says.

09.51 Transport Minister Hishammuddin Hussein said: "This "requires us overnight to verify and corroborate it," Hishammuddin said, adding that the overall search and rescue effort for Flight 370 would continue in the meantime.

09.46 Malaysia has said that the satellite images are a "credible lead".

09.40 If the objects are indeed the plane, it would appear to rule out this (http://www.wired.com/autopia/2014/03/mh370-electrical-fire/) theory about technical difficulties which was gaining popularity yesterday.

09.26 Military planes from Australia, the US and New Zealand have been searching in a region over the southern Indian Ocean that was narrowed down from 600,000 square kilometers (232,000 square miles) to 305,000 square kilometers (117,000 square miles).

Falk

that puzzling face
Nothing significant that hasn't been discussed in this thread as the Australian stuff is still breaking.

Otherwise:

- Flight sim is also now in international agency hands for investigation (confirmation again)

- IF Aussie stuff proves true, french experts will be taking lead due to their recent experience

- Officials as of press conference time were not sure when the Aussie sat imagery was taken. Clarification that Malaysia RECEIVED this news this morning, Satellite images were not confirmed as TAKEN this morning.

- backpedaling slightly on 'deliberate action' as today the statement is 'not ruling out catastrophic equipment failure'. (reasonable considering circumstances)

Slime

Banned
New location brings to mind this thing I saw a couple days ago:
http://imgur.com/a/ROy9o

Still not buying the pilot suicide assertion, but I can't help but find a few of those points kind of intriguing, if pretty insane. But what about all this isn't.

Pandemic

Hard to tell if it even is a piece of the plane..
5335064-3x2-940x627.jpg

Pandemic

If it was me I would ruled it as a wave. Also if the plane indeed crashed on that location there would be a lot more debris

Agreed... I would've thought with the left image, that it was just a wave. They were taken 4 days ago, so who knows where the debris is now.

oipic

Agreed... I would've thought with the left image, that it was just a wave. They were taken 4 days ago, so who knows where the debris is now.

The two objects of interest were already seemingly separated by some 23 kilometres or so when photographed, so if they are both debris, there appears to be plenty of scope for it to now be strewn across a large area, unfortunately.

Pandemic

The two objects of interest were already seemingly separated by some 23 kilometres or so when photographed, so if they are both debris, there appears to be plenty of scope for it to now be strewn across a large area, unfortunately.

Very true, unfortunately. The largest piece of debris that was spotted via satellite is also approximately the same size as a iso container, so who knows.

Mondy

Banned
If they find anything, it'll be the Australian media that is the first to know, so I will be sure to keep you all updated as things develop.

GRW810

From the BBC:

BBC said:
Reuters news agency is reporting that a Norwegian ship has reached an area in the Indian Ocean where possible debris may have been spotted.

Is this a separate situation from the location already being searched based on the Australian information?

Oersted

Nothing significant that hasn't been discussed in this thread as the Australian stuff is still breaking.

Otherwise:

- Flight sim is also now in international agency hands for investigation (confirmation again)

- IF Aussie stuff proves true, french experts will be taking lead due to their recent experience

- Officials as of press conference time were not sure when the Aussie sat imagery was taken. Clarification that Malaysia RECEIVED this news this morning, Satellite images were not confirmed as TAKEN this morning.

- backpedaling slightly on 'deliberate action' as today the statement is 'not ruling out catastrophic equipment failure'. (reasonable considering circumstances)

Yes, no, yes, could be but we are not so sure.

KHarvey16

where are their O2 tanks located? remember that australian 747 that "almost crashed" a couple of years ago, after (one of) the main O2 tanks malfunctioned and exploded, tearing a hole in the plane?

Not sure where they are, but that tank was one of many and the passengers still had plenty of oxygen for the 5 minute trip to 10000 feet. I don't know if there have been any other incidents like that. Tanks like that are usually pretty robust!

raindoc

Not sure where they are, but that tank was one of many and the passengers still had plenty of oxygen for the 5 minute trip to 10000 feet. I don't know if there have been any other incidents like that. Tanks like that are usually pretty robust!

I'm/was not thinking about a lack of oxygen, but an explosion of one of the tanks that incapacitated the crew. they supposedly have mobile tanks on board and even a small 2l bottle filled at 100bar can be deadly. everything you need to blow it up is a greasy hand at the vent.

EDIT: it's just my 2 cents Re: fire/smoke in the cockpit-theory: tire fire filling the cockpit with smoke seems implausible to me, because it doesn't evolve quick enough (missing mayday call). o2 fire/explosion would be quick and capable of incapacitating one of the pilots immediately

coldfoot

Banned
I'm convinced that this is deliberate action by the pilot, turning off the transponder and straying so far off course without any mayday signs doesn't have any other explanation to me.
Even if the crew was incapacitated by faulty cabin pressurization like in Helios Airways Flight 522, the plane would not have changed course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom