• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riki

I always found it funny when people say they don't watch FOX or MSNBC because of the strong bias there, so they watch CNN. Which aside from being FOX Lite, is full of complete dumbasses that couldn't tell their ass from a hole in the ground.

Tugatrix

LMAO CNN.....sigh

When+in+doubt.....+the+clip+is+from+Megas+XLR_dcd07d_4194303.gif

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Anderson Cooper is an OK dude, but thats about it when it comes to CNN.

As for that possibility, the plane would get shot down over Saudi airspace if it entered its fly zone, let alone getting to Israel. But thats not happening.

HoosTrax

Guess we're waiting for daybreak on the other side of the world (from where I am) for things to resume.

In the meantime, got curious about this "Poseidon P-8" we keep hearing about...disappointed to find out it's just a renamed 737. On the plus side, it's a 737 that drops torpedoes.

BFIB

CNN fell off a cliff years ago. Then Jeff Zucker took over, and it turns out it had actually landed on *another* cliff, which it then fell off of.

After 9/11 where speculation became journalism, and being first no matter what the cost is, is when our media went to shit.

Yagharek

It's nearly two weeks since the flight's disappearance. If it did crash in that area, the current would have displaced a lot of the debris over hundreds of miles.

True, but there will be archived data of currents from satellites and buoys in the ocean, so they would be able to backtrack to a region where it would have initially ditched.

Megasoum

Banned
Guess we're waiting for daybreak on the other side of the world (from where I am) for things to resume.

In the meantime, got curious about this "Poseidon P-8" we keep hearing about...disappointed to find out it's just a renamed 737. On the plus side, it's a 737 that drops torpedoes.

Compared to the old Orions it's actually really cool...

Also think about it, when they do torpedo runs on subs and stuff like that hey have to fly at like 100feet off the ocean or whatever. They are doing those maneuvers with a 737!

I'm convinced that this is deliberate action by the pilot, turning off the transponder and straying so far off course without any mayday signs doesn't have any other explanation to me.
Even if the crew was incapacitated by faulty cabin pressurization like in Helios Airways Flight 522, the plane would not have changed course.

it could be a catastrophic equipment failure like Alaska Air 261. Maybe they lost all control of the plane and could only fly it using the autopilot headings. Maybe they decided to stay over water while trying to regain control?

It's been way too long since the plane's gone missing.
At this point everybody knows that it fell in the ocean. Only question is why.

The whole thing about the transponder beeing turned off is so weird.

effzee

I heard on the local news radio this morning (NYC) that the satellite images the Australians found didn't find anything other than some dolphins and a cargo ship?

Any truth? That would be rather dumb to confuse the dolphins or another ship but I don't see it mentioned anywhere here.

Also no expert here but had a question. If for whatever reason the plane was on cruise control just going out as far as it could on whatever fuel was left, wouldn't it possibly endanger any other planes in air? Considering the # of flights in air at any given time, wouldn't another plane be in danger of flying too close or potentially striking mid air?

I heard on the local news radio this morning (NYC) that the satellite images the Australians found didn't find anything other than some dolphins and a cargo ship?

Any truth? That would be rather dumb to confuse the dolphins or another ship but I don't see it mentioned anywhere here.

Also no expert here but had a question. If for whatever reason the plane was on cruise control just going out as far as it could on whatever fuel was left, wouldn't it possibly endanger any other planes in air? Considering the # of flights in air at any given time, wouldn't another plane be in danger of flying too close or potentially striking mid air?

They flew out to the area of the satellite images, but they were taken four days ago, so any debris would have drifted. The dolphins and cargo ship were just in the same area.

I have a coworker who is an alex jones conspiracy nut and she thinks the plane was hijacked to get a hold of the 20 Freescale Semiconductor employees because they were working on cloaking technology and Iran wants it. Her words were "Iran can't invent anything on their own so they bribe and steal people to finish things for them." I wanted to smack her upside the head. Oh and she thinks she's been stopped by the government when surfing the internet because she's she going "too deep" and they cut her connection.

I can not even believe they'd address an idea that dumb & far fetched. Even if it was only for a minute. Just to say it out loud and ask the question to a guest... it is embarrassing.

I have a feeling they have found it with that debris. And that P-8 Orion aircraft has to be one of the coolest man made machines of which I am aware. A 737 converted to detect submarines and be able to fly 3 hours BEFORE starting it's highly effective style of search, then return home. Amazing. Large up USA Air Force,

Ovid

I have a coworker who is an alex jones conspiracy nut and she thinks the plane was hijacked to get a hold of the 20 Freescale Semiconductor employees because they were working on cloaking technology and Iran wants it. Her words were "Iran can't invent anything on their own so they bribe and steal people to finish things for them." I wanted to smack her upside the head. Oh and she thinks she's been stopped by the government when surfing the internet because she's she going "too deep" and they cut her connection.
Is she hot?

Selner

it could be a catastrophic equipment failure like Alaska Air 261. Maybe they lost all control of the plane and could only fly it using the autopilot headings. Maybe they decided to stay over water while trying to regain control?

Why stay over water?

True story:
I was on a Trans-Pacific flight a few years ago (Seattle to Japan). One of the four engines died at around the International Date Line. We turned around and went back to Seattle. The pilot came on and said they were turning around because the way back was over land (Alaskan islands I think) and they would rather ditch on land instead of water.

Why stay over water?

True story:
I was on a Trans-Pacific flight a few years ago (Seattle to Japan). One of the four engines died at around the International Date Line. We turned around and went back to Seattle. The pilot came on and said they were turning around because the way back was over land (Alaskan islands I think) and they would rather ditch on land instead of water.

in case of Alaskan Air 261, they stayed over water because they needed to experiment with the controls and they didn't want the plane to dive into a populated area. Big difference between a catastrophic failure and losing one engine

crozier

I have to admit that Iran crossed my mind very, very early on. And Israel did go on high alert due to the missing aircraft.

I can't help feeling like whenever they finally find and listen to the black box it's going to be some Event Horizon shit.

If it was the Twilight Zone, the plane would appear out of nowhere, and land at it's original destination, all passengers and crew oblivious to the past two weeks events. When they check the black box there is two weeks worth of static recording.

gspec

If it was the Twilight Zone, the plane would appear out of nowhere, and land at it's original destination, all passengers and crew oblivious to the past two weeks events. When they check the black box there is two weeks worth of static recording.

This.

subrock

I always wonder if these people are smugly self satisfied by figuring it out before everyone else, or if they are permanently terrified by being trapped in a box of their own stupidity.

e_i

No, Ms. Shiavo, a black hole will not suck in our "entire universe."

CNN: We speculate, you drink yourself into a stupor.

DarkKyo

Wouldn't it make more sense if those two weeks weren't on the black box' record at all? Could have passed through an atmospheric wormhole and essentially bypassed those two weeks.

Ty4on

I am beginning to think Aliens... how could in this day and age technology not be able to track a huge airplane.

The plane is tiny. West Malaysia alone could fit over 30 thousand Boeing 777 without stacking them on top of each other.

The plane was also tracked.
4L7ndhD.jpg

in case of Alaskan Air 261, they stayed over water because they needed to experiment with the controls and they didn't want the plane to dive into a populated air. Big difference between a catastrophic failure and losing one engine

Pretty much every flight with a catastrophic failure didn't result into a strange new path made without telling ATC (path was planned before the last message according to ACARS info) and then flying until the plane ran out of fuel. The plane flew south for hours until it ran out of fuel while Alaska Air 261 didn't even manage one hour after the stabilizer jammed. The plane also headed the only direction without a place to land unlike AS261 which tried to divert to LAX.
I don't buy the lack of navigation systems when there is no evidence of any failure and the plane had a big analog compass in the middle of the cockpit.

.GqueB.

Banned

Sounds like Contact. Which means the whole event will be criminally underrated by the world at large for some reason.

coldfoot

Banned
Doesn't explain why the transponder was turned off and no radio calls for help. The possibility of an incident that would result in all these completely unrelated systems failing at once and not causing the plane to fall out of the sky immediately is zero.
This is a deliberate action, I am 100% certain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom