• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoosTrax

Shouldn't the Faraday cage protect them from that?
Yeah the average airliner gets struck by lightning several times a year as I recall. Oftentimes, those inside don't even notice it, although I'm sure there are videos taken by planespotters showing it happening.

Ghazi

The more I think about it, the less and less I feel it could've been an attack.

At this point I'm positive something on the plane malfunctioned or there was pilot error, the stolen passports thing was probably... just people trying to get out of the country illegally.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Really off-topic but—why does the Malaysian flag have the same red stripes as the American flag?

They have 14 stripes. We have 13. Malaysia is a federation of 13 states, and they add a stripe for the federal government. The star is also 14-pointed, for the same reason.

And, the flag is designed after the flag of the East India Company (as was our own).

British_East_India_Company_Flag_from_Downman.jpg

I caught a little bit of this on the news last night and the reporter stated that the plane's black box has approximately two weeks' worth of battery power left.

Would it be impossible for them to determine what happened after that?

Oozer3993

I caught a little bit of this on the news last night and the reporter stated that the plane's black box has approximately two weeks' worth of battery power left.

Would it be impossible for them to determine what happened after that?

No. That's just the battery for the radio beacon in the "black box." Once that runs out, it becomes significantly harder to find the "black box," but that battery doesn't effect the data on board.

Linkhero1

I am really disappointed honestly.

Next on CNN they will run with the theory of Star Gates.

I'm surprised that they haven't mentioned a Back to the Future like scenario but with a plane. CNN has been covering this like professionals but they're slipping imo for not bringing up the Back to the Future theory.

I'm seriously mind blown at this point, like WTF 0_0

I am too but we really shouldn't be.

With our global village world where everything is a mouse-click away we forget how much empty space there is out there. Once out get out cell coverage range and especially out over the ocean . . . there is a whole lot of nothing.

Is it possible for the plane to sink and leave no debris on the surface? I wouldn't think so.

At the minimum, I'd think that the pressure would break it up as it sank and bits of floatable debris would float back up to the surface. But perhaps such debris would be minimal and something that you can't see from a satellite.

Linkhero1

What situation would require the flight data recorder to be turned off? It doesn't make much sense to me.

From what I've read in this thread, after a plane lands they usually turn it off or put it in stand-by mode. There may be rare cases where the device malfunctions and needs to be turned off for troubleshooting.

Prez

From what I've read in this thread, after a plane lands they usually turn it off or put it in stand-by mode. There may be rare cases where the device malfunctions and needs to be turned off for troubleshooting.

Ah, makes sense now. So if the plane crashed it could very well be that the cause will never be known.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Is it possible for the plane to sink and leave no debris on the surface? I wouldn't think so.

At the minimum, I'd think that the pressure would break it up as it sank and bits of floatable debris would float back up to the surface. But perhaps such debris would be minimal and something that you can't see from a satellite.

you are right. It's impossible. But you are also right that the debris could be small and scattered enough to be undetectable.

Tzeentch

-- In a crash it would certainly leave debris. But would it be recognizable as pieces of an aircraft, or be distinguishable from all the other trash floating in the ocean? Perhaps not.

-- Satellite imagery with the best repeat time has a spatial resolution (ground area per pixel) of about 30 meters (900 square meters per pixel). Any debris would have to be VERY large to be distinguishable from background clutter even on the open ocean. The imagery from DigitalGlobe and other vendors is usually, at best, 1 meter resolution color (half meter panchromatic) -- but that's at the expense of scene size, which is about 15 km wide (and there's a substantial cost with regards to bandwidth and wear).

Iolo

They have 14 stripes. We have 13. Malaysia is a federation of 13 states, and they add a stripe for the federal government. The star is also 14-pointed, for the same reason.

They've got the Golden Arches, we've got the Golden Arcs.

I found this pretty interesting article which was published a few months ago:

"Researcher: Vulnerabilities in aircraft systems allow remote airplane hijacking"

He did not experiment on real airplanes, which would be both dangerous and illegal, according to his own account. Instead Teso acquired aircraft hardware and software from different places, including from vendors offering simulation tools that use actual aircraft code and from eBay, where he found a flight management system (FMS) manufactured by Honeywell and a Teledyne ACARS aircraft management unit.

Using these tools, he set up a lab where he simulated virtual airplanes and a station for sending specifically crafted ACARS messages to them in order to exploit vulnerabilities identified in their flight management systems—specialized computers that automate in-flight tasks related to navigation, flight planning, trajectory prediction, guidance and more.

link
better than these CNN theories...

KHarvey16

I found this pretty interesting article which was published a few months ago:

"Researcher: Vulnerabilities in aircraft systems allow remote airplane hijacking"

link
better than these CNN theories...

It's unlikely something like this was used, but even if it was it wouldn't be able to do things like turn off various systems or really anything that wouldn't be apparent to the crew and dealt with.

akira28

I was reading a news article about a family who beat the shit out of some family friend and left him for dead in the frozen forest for wolves, because he had hit their kid on the ass or something. And they pointed out that the family were proud Christians, involved in their community. It was an interesting change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom