• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix

This is exactly what I don't understand. With all of this satellite imagery and "data analysis", they've yet to come across a single piece of the plane. With less scientific and technological assistance, they've been able to find wreckage of similar incidents (like Air France 447) in just a few days. And they have been looking in this area for HOW long now?

1) They've spent most of their time looking in the wrong area.
2) The ocean is vast
3) The ocean is full of a LOT of trash and other shit - its not just an empty mass
4) They've called off the search on several occasions due to weather, and bad ocean weather tends to move things around

Coreda

very chilling article i found about the air france black box content
http://www.popularmechanics.com/tec...really-happened-aboard-air-france-447-6611877

WOW i had no idea this happened.. so fucked up....now i'm wide awake in bed after reading that..

fuuuuu--- what a tragic sequence of events. The minute-to-minute commentary on the dialog explains a lot. It's awful some of the mistakes that took place, hopefully since that time training has taken such things into consideration.

liquidtmd

Banned
4) They've called off the search on several occasions due to weather, and bad ocean weather tends to move things around

This is especially the case. They're hopeful they can pick up debris they saw yesterday when the search resumes but since today / next 24 hours has been called off due to bad weather lord knows where it will be by then

BunnyBear

Meh, this is tiring and I'm past caring. Call me a conspirator, but I think that this "ended in the ocean" info came out simply to make it appear as though the authorities (particularly Malaysia) have actually made some headway in this mystery. The families have been hounding them for more info, so they just go ahead, jump the gun, declare everyone dead and give a kinda-sorta approximate location of the plane....and just hope that everyone takes their word for it.

(obviously they're probably all dead now, regardless of what happened)

Maybe I'm wrong, and I'll gladly admit that I'm wrong when this thing is finally resolved. But as it stands now, I refuse to give this story any more attention until there is visual confirmation of (a part of, or something related to) the plane, or confirmation of a signal emanating from the plane.

The thread will be sad to lose you.

Wait... no it won't.

I know everyone's frustrated and wants answers, but it's not as though they haven't been throwing everything possible at the recovery effort and of course they want answers as much as the families do.

Throwing your toys out of the pram because you're not getting the answers you want is a little disrespectful.

Phoenix

fuuuuu--- what a tragic sequence of events. The minute-to-minute commentary on the dialog explains a lot. It's awful some of the mistakes that took place, hopefully since that time training has taken such things into consideration.

In almost all of these incidents there is a series of human error events that compound upon one another and lead to the tragedy. Unless the incident is intentional, its never just one thing that causes the failure - its a shitload of them, and usually a lot of "we are smarter than the machines" issues. While many people are terrified of the possibility, many parts of air flight could be made even safer by automating them.

liquidtmd

Banned
In almost all of these incidents there is a series of human error events that compound upon one another and lead to the tragedy. Unless the incident is intentional, its never just one thing that causes the failure - its a shitload of them, and usually a lot of "we are smarter than the machines" issues. While many people are terrified of the possibility, many parts of air flight could be made even safer by automating them.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tec...ally-happened-aboard-air-france-447-6611877-2

I see your point but what do you think particularly of this part of the summary quote from the above link that was posted RE: the French crash?

"While the airplane's avionics track crucial parameters such as location, speed, and heading, the human beings can pay attention to something else. But when trouble suddenly springs up and the computer decides that it can no longer cope—on a dark night, perhaps, in turbulence, far from land—the humans might find themselves with a very incomplete notion of what's going on. They'll wonder: What instruments are reliable, and which can't be trusted? What's the most pressing threat? What's going on? Unfortunately, the vast majority of pilots will have little experience in finding the answers"

Automation is a necessary part of every day life and admittedly the French crash is an unfortunate series of events and the pilots sadly made bad calls but it should always be stressed that automation is no substitute for learnt manual knowledge

Phoenix

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tec...ally-happened-aboard-air-france-447-6611877-2

I see your point but what do you think particularly of this part of the summary quote from the above link that was posted RE: the French crash?

"While the airplane's avionics track crucial parameters such as location, speed, and heading, the human beings can pay attention to something else. But when trouble suddenly springs up and the computer decides that it can no longer cope—on a dark night, perhaps, in turbulence, far from land—the humans might find themselves with a very incomplete notion of what's going on. They'll wonder: What instruments are reliable, and which can't be trusted? What's the most pressing threat? What's going on? Unfortunately, the vast majority of pilots will have little experience in finding the answers"

Automation is a necessary part of every day life and admittedly the French crash is an unfortunate series of events but it should always be stressed that this is no substitute for learnt manual knowledge

When the tech fails and humans have to take over, they can't ignore the tech altogether. This is generally where the problems start. If you read through Gladwell's Tipping Point and Outliers he speaks to many of these situations. The problem is that when presented with an incomplete set of fact, people when pressed to make decisions will start to ignore everything else. It is what many people refer to as tunnel vision. "I must do it and I must do it this way and I can't see the additional facts"

In the Air France flight the issue was the iced over sensors which were giving bad air speed readings so the aircraft said "okay, look you guys need to deal with this because of the air speed situation," but the flight stick situation on the aircraft is something I would call a design flaw - independent controls that BOTH effect flight. There is very limited reason for this IMO and I believe this is one of the leading causes. Now you have incomplete information "actual airspeed" being compounded by more incomplete information "I'm pointing us down for speed - why are we stalling" vs "The stall warning must be coming from the bad sensors, I'll pull up on the stick". You had two different minds competing for what was the right solution and they had no way of knowing that was the case because of the design of the flight controls. In a stress situation this is just wrong as it will generally lead to these types of situations... and I don't believe that this design flaw has been resolved.

Further, is that the system was designed such that in the "flight computer detached" mode, the aircraft will allow itself to enter a situation where it recognizes that its compromised. There are enough redundant sensor configurations for the aircraft to know that its descending and there are certainly other mechanisms that could detect airspeed, but the user experience design of the aircraft is such that this data is not given to the flight crew. I can't argue too much with that because information overload is just as bad as too little information, but at some point there has to be some form of override to prevent the aircraft from being able to do what the redundant sensors are saying is a bad idea. This comes down to better data visualization IMO and a better flight computer intelligence that can convey the information more clearly.

"Warning - conflicting steering information causing stall"

liquidtmd

Banned
Thanks Phoenix - nice insight.

Is there a scheduled 5.30am or any Press Conference today? A quick look on the Telegraph live feed doesn't seem to feature one

EDIT: One starting now hosted by the Acting transport Minister. Hmm @ 5:50am local time they've just said "Its extremely, extremely unlikely anyones survived". I appreciate its stupid semantics and the chances of survival are virtually nil but this technically is a backstep from yesterdays "All are dead" no matter how slight.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/malaysia/10718181/Malaysia-Airlines-MH370-live.html

10.11 According to China's Xinhua news agency, Chinese President Xi Jinping has ordered to send a special envoy to Kuala Lumpur to consult with Malaysia and deal with the matter of missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370.

10.09 The Malaysian Air Force will set up an enquiry into what happened to MH370. Malaysia will also set up a royal commission into what happened.

10.01 Malaysia's Transport Minister agrees that until debris is found, it will be very difficult for the families to have closure. He says that he is an optimistic person and will do 'whatever it takes' to find the plane. He reminds press that they have managed to narrow the search area form millions of nautical miles to just hundreds (this confuses me - they have only the Immasat data; how can they confirm they are accurately narrowing down the search area when they technically don't know anything and haven't found anything?) . It is still a big area though.

09.58 Malaysian officials say that they have had regular meetings with the search team from the Air France crash in 2009.

09.54 He says that the exact location of the plane is still being determined. Six Chinese ships are currently in the search area and will arrive at the point of MH370's last known position tomorrow morning. This includes the icebreaker Xuelong.

09.50 Hishammuddin says that searches in the northern corridor and the northern part of the southern corridor have now been stopped. All search efforts are focused on the southern point of the southern corridor.

9.47 Malaysia's acting Transport Minister Hishammuddin Hussein says that the challenge is now technical and logistical (No, REALLY???). He is currently explaining how satellite company Inmarsat managed to track the plane into the Indian Ocean.

09.43 The Malaysian press conference has just begun. The Malaysian government said that they remain focussed on narrowing the search area.

08.25 A representative of the Chinese community in Perth, Australia has said volunteers will help out when relatives of the 239 passengers fly to the city when the search resumes. Sammy Yap of Perth's Chung-Wah Association said the representatives would provide physical, emotional and spiritual support to grieving visitors. The Australian government will designate a reception centre to co-ordinate the visit.

JonnyBrad

When the tech fails and humans have to take over, they can't ignore the tech altogether. This is generally where the problems start. If you read through Gladwell's Tipping Point and Outliers he speaks to many of these situations. The problem is that when presented with an incomplete set of fact, people when pressed to make decisions will start to ignore everything else. It is what many people refer to as tunnel vision. "I must do it and I must do it this way and I can't see the additional facts"

In the Air France flight the issue was the iced over sensors which were giving bad air speed readings so the aircraft said "okay, look you guys need to deal with this because of the air speed situation," but the flight stick situation on the aircraft is something I would call a design flaw - independent controls that BOTH effect flight. There is very limited reason for this IMO and I believe this is one of the leading causes. Now you have incomplete information "actual airspeed" being compounded by more incomplete information "I'm pointing us down for speed - why are we stalling" vs "The stall warning must be coming from the bad sensors, I'll pull up on the stick". You had two different minds competing for what was the right solution and they had no way of knowing that was the case because of the design of the flight controls. In a stress situation this is just wrong as it will generally lead to these types of situations... and I don't believe that this design flaw has been resolved.

Further, is that the system was designed such that in the "flight computer detached" mode, the aircraft will allow itself to enter a situation where it recognizes that its compromised. There are enough redundant sensor configurations for the aircraft to know that its descending and there are certainly other mechanisms that could detect airspeed, but the user experience design of the aircraft is such that this data is not given to the flight crew. I can't argue too much with that because information overload is just as bad as too little information, but at some point there has to be some form of override to prevent the aircraft from being able to do what the redundant sensors are saying is a bad idea. This comes down to better data visualization IMO and a better flight computer intelligence that can convey the information more clearly.

The other issue with AF447 was training. It appears the co pilot flat out didn't know he could stall the craft. Airbus's can't be stalled in Normal Law. So he could have held back on the stick all he wanted and the craft wouldn't have left it's flight envelope.

As soon as the airspeed indicators went and the aircraft went into alternate law all bets were off.

Its a failure of training IMO and the fact that many pilots nowadays are not trained to "fly" but trained to operate an aircraft.

syllogism

In recent days Inmarsat developed a second innovative technique which considers the velocity of the
aircraft relative to the satellite. Depending on this relative movement, the frequency received and
transmitted will differ from its normal value, in much the same way that the sound of a passing car
changes as it approaches and passes by. This is called the Doppler effect.

The Inmarsat technique analyses the difference between the frequency that the ground station
expects to receive and that actually measured. This difference is the result of the Doppler effect and
is known as the Burst Frequency Offset.

The Burst Frequency Offset changes depending on the location of the aircraft on an arc of possible
positions, its direction of travel, and its speed. In order to establish confidence in its theory,
Inmarsat checked its predictions using information obtained from six other B777 aircraft flying on
the same day in various directions. There was good agreement.

While on the ground at Kuala Lumpur airport, and during the early stage of the flight, MH370
transmitted several messages. At this stage the location of the aircraft and the satellite were known,
so it was possible to calculate system characteristics for the aircraft, satellite, and ground station.
During the flight the ground station logged the transmitted and received pulse frequencies at each
handshake. Knowing the system characteristics and position of the satellite it was possible,
considering aircraft performance, to determine where on each arc the calculated burst frequency
offset fit best.

The analysis showed poor correlation with the Northern corridor, but good correlation with the
Southern corridor, and depending on the ground speed of the aircraft it was then possible to
estimate positions at 0011 UTC, at which the last complete handshake took place. I must emphasise
that this is not the final position of the aircraft.

There is evidence of a partial handshake between the aircraft and ground station at 0019 UTC. At
this time this transmission is not understood and is subject to further ongoing work.
No response was received from the aircraft at 0115 UTC, when the ground earth station sent the
next log on / log off message. This indicates that the aircraft was no longer logged on to the
network.

Therefore, sometime between 0011 UTC and 0115 UTC the aircraft was no longer able to
communicate with the ground station. This is consistent with the maximum endurance of the
aircraft.

This analysis by Inmarsat forms the basis for further study to attempt to determine the final position
of the aircraft. Accordingly, the Malaysian investigation has set up an international working group,
comprising agencies with expertise in satellite communications and aircraft performance, to take
this work forward.

Zaptruder

Banned
Fuck the human factor. It's basically the primary cause of aircrashes nowadays.

Just go with multiple redundant sensors (including visual recognition and accelorometers; similar to the kind of sensors a human is equipped with) and multiple redundant AI pilots linked in.

I mean, yeah, there's a possibility of failure - but as long as you make enough redundancies that the possibility of failure is less than human, then you have a justifiable system.

Zeppu

A bunch of you need to start watching Air Crash Investigation to see how many redundancies are actually in place in aircraft as well as the meticulous data analysis which is performed on readings instead of simply saying 'this and that should be allowed to be turned off' and 'why did it take them that long to come up with that answer?'

Polari

I don't really see why the families should get a pay out unless negligence on the part of the airline is proven. I guess the Monteal Convention was a practical solution to problems around the process of litigation though.

andthebeatgoeson

I don't really see why the families should get a pay out unless negligence on the part of the airline is proven. I guess the Monteal Convention was a practical solution to problems around the process of litigation though.
Airlines are stacked with attorneys that the victim's families are at a disadvantage. Either way, it doesn't happen that often to even register on the airlines bottom line year in and year out. And it's another motivator for airlines to buy into safety.

syllogism

u6qv89vl.png

aeroslash

Airbus already had a solution for that, although in that accident it didn't help. There's a light and an aural warning saying "dual input" whenever the two sidesticks are used at the same time. In the AF447 it sounded four or five times and neither pilot did anything.

Also..i don't agree with the idea of the planes being more and more automatic. With the autopilot on, you have to monitor (a lot) the flight parameters because many things can happen. Many times during climbs or descends the aircraft does not mantain the speed to gain some more vertical speed, resulting sometimes in overspeeds or lower speeds... And that's in an easy flight phase. During landing, you can receive false localizer indications and the aircraft could capture them and descend into a mountain for example. Even autolands have problems sometimes.

Wanace

Reaction in China is not happy. Even average people are posting stuff on their social media with stuff like "If there were more Americans on the plane, Malaysia would be in the international court. If there were more Russians on the plane, Malaysia would be in the grave. Unfortunately it's just us Chinese."

Also posting things like pictures of the Malaysian flag with the star being the lit fuse on a bomb.

Calling for boycotting Chinese tourism to Malaysia, etc. Pretty ridiculous.

seanoff

Unfortunately some people always look for a reason to appoint blame; honestly this just seems like a freak occurrence that was consumed by the ever ruthless social media.

i'd be interested in any finding. but it looks and smells like a rogue pilot suicide ala Egypt Air.

i cannot conceive of a way that the aircraft took the route it did without intervention of someone with reasonable knowledge of the triple.

ACARS - off

Transponder - standby or off

a route that magically turns at designated waypoints and avoids northern Sumatra where the indon military would have been all over it like a rash. (large, fast moving target in that sensitive area, that would have been interesting).

doesn't add up to something causing decompression and then crew incapacitation even if some pilots think that this is heresy.

chucking it in the southern indian ocean is about the remotest place on the planet. they didn't want it found.

WoodWERD

Reaction in China is not happy. Even average people are posting stuff on their social media with stuff like "If there were more Americans on the plane, Malaysia would be in the international court. If there were more Russians on the plane, Malaysia would be in the grave. Unfortunately it's just us Chinese."

A Chinese boycott is no surprise really, but the above makes little sense. Is that an actual quote or something you just paraphrased from random posts? Not that it matters either way, emotions are understandably high.

liquidtmd

Banned
A Chinese boycott is no surprise really, but the above makes little sense. Is that an actual quote or something you just paraphrased from random posts? Not that it matters either way, emotions are understandably high.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/25/us-malaysia-airlines-tourism-idUSBREA2O0MN20140325

I feel for the families but I also have sympathy for the Malaysian officials here - the world is out for heads to roll and for there to be accountability, regardless of the actual reason of the crash which may be years away from being discovered.

With so many variables and factors involved now, I do not believe its a cover up on their part. The officials from the Malay Government equally have families they probably haven't seen much since this crisis started.

Dryk

chucking it in the southern indian ocean is about the remotest place on the planet. they didn't want it found.
Turning at designated waypoints and ending up in the middle of buttfuck nowhere does seem to suggest that yes. But it looks like we might never know so good job I guess :\

And that's all a heavily anti-suicide culture gets you in the end isn't it, a rise in mysterious accidents.

With so many variables and factors involved now, I do not believe its a cover up on their part. The officials from the Malay Government equally have families they probably haven't seen much since this crisis started.
Agreed, it's much better attributed to being in over their heads.

On the bright side, family members are eligible for $5000 per passenger on the plane.

i am pretty sure it's going to be A LOT more than that, in the $200k-$300 range but i am too sure(especially if they find faults with the aircraft or some incompetence by the flying crew).

Wanace

I translated it from Chinese, paraphrasing, but basically it said that.

HoosTrax

Also posting things like pictures of the Malaysian flag with the star being the lit fuse on a bomb.

If my parents are any indication, the Chinese are not a very forgiving people. They always go on and on about how China would not countenance or forgive such and such transgression. I think a lot of them still haven't forgiven Japan for WWII, and it's a bit ingrained into the culture as a whole, not just the older generation who lived during WWII. Both in terms of national as well as personal affronts. Giving forgiveness is seen as devaluing a life that was taken.

At least, that's my perception of it from my own limited view of the culture, via my parents.

Meh, this is tiring and I'm past caring. Call me a conspirator, but I think that this "ended in the ocean" info came out simply to make it appear as though the authorities (particularly Malaysia) have actually made some headway in this mystery. The families have been hounding them for more info, so they just go ahead, jump the gun, declare everyone dead and give a kinda-sorta approximate location of the plane....and just hope that everyone takes their word for it.

Maybe I'm wrong, and I'll gladly admit that I'm wrong when this thing is finally resolved. But as it stands now, I refuse to give this story any more attention until there is visual confirmation of (a part of, or something related to) the plane, or confirmation of a signal emanating from the plane.

Malaysia is using the passengers for their human experiments. They have a bioweapon lab deep underground Kota Bharu. It's obvious that the Malaysian government is behind this 'disappearance' and it's frightening that nobody is talking about this on the news. Planes are not destroyed by crashing into the ocean. Water is soft.

Malaysia is using the passengers for their human experiments. They have a bioweapon lab deep underground Kota Bharu. It's obvious that the Malaysian government is behind this 'disappearance' and it's frightening that nobody is talking about this on the news. Planes are not destroyed by crashing into the ocean. Water is soft.

Malaysia has been experimenting with sentient airplane AIs. This was it's first real world test. Follow the money.

Smokey

very chilling article i found about the air france black box content
http://www.popularmechanics.com/tec...really-happened-aboard-air-france-447-6611877

WOW i had no idea this happened.. so fucked up....now i'm wide awake in bed after reading that..

Nightmare fuel

See this is what gets to me. Your life is in the hands of 2-3 people. They, specifically Bonin, had no clue what he was doing. Meanwhile the passengers are most likely completely aware of what's going on.

Terrible.

I can understand the families who are beside themselves with grief to express such feelings, but it's pretty dumb to jump to conclusions as a bystander. Maybe if they had a healthy diet of Aircraft Investigation they'd realise that this event is unprecedented.

syllogism

A decent theory explaining the final partial handshake is that when the plane was essentially out of fuel, there was a momentary loss of power to the SATCOM modem, it rebooted and attempted to re-establish connection, but then immediately lost power again before the handshake could be completed.

Nightmare fuel

See this is what gets to me. Your life is in the hands of 2-3 people. They, specifically Bonin, had no clue what he was doing. Meanwhile the passengers are most likely completely aware of what's going on.

Terrible.

yea must have been a scary situation, the plane was falling out of the sky at 10,000 ft per minute. It must have been a scary ride down.

hamchan

Part of it could also be because of the Chinese-Malay tensions in Malaysia, which have been there for a very long time. I live in Australia but the majority of my family are living in Malaysia and I hear all the time about how the Malays get all the advantages from the government and the Chinese are discriminated against, losing things like places in Universities, even though their marks are better. Basically institutionalized racism against Chinese, and Indians too.

Andrew.

Banned

Smokey

This article really has shaken up my morning. It also drives me to never want to fly over an ocean for a long period of time. If we're gonna crash, let us crash onto solid ground please.

Shit has me shook. This whole situation has. I'm flying to Hawaii for honeymoon. Never flown over water before. That article got me feeling like nope but too late :(

gutshot

Shit like this must be infuriating to the Inmarsat engineers and analysts who likely spent hours and hours poring over the data, trying to come up with an accurate location for the plane.

Shit has me shook. This whole situation has. I'm flying to Hawaii for honeymoon. Never flown over water before. That article got me feeling like nope but too late :(

Think of how many flights there are every day all around the world. And we only have these major crashes once every few years. You'll be fine.

Well, you should probably take comfort in the fact that the incident in the article seemed to be a result of repeated mistakes and lapses in procedure rather than the one error.

Plane crashes are incredibly rare in proportion to the amount of flights taking off every day, thankfully.
Terrifying read though.

Dude, you should've exercised some self control here - you're going to fly and read an article about people dying on a plane. That's like going to Korean BBQ after watching an animal cruelty in farms documentary.

Smokey

I never really thought about it until the Malaysia flight. That had me shook. Then in this thread there were links to more flights that involved hypoxia. I've actually learned a lot following all of this.

Think I'm just going to take a sleeping pill and get through it that way lol

what in the hell happened on that plane.

right. We 'know' where it went down, but how the hell did they get there...

That's not as good at generating viewership numbers or site clicks then a terrorist plot to hide the plane in Central Asia somwhere.

wut?

Not sure if sacasm or it is the mindset of seeing chinese people as poor so they can be happy with that amount of money.

well that escalated quickly

This article really has shaken up my morning. It also drives me to never want to fly over an ocean for a long period of time. If we're gonna crash, let us crash onto solid ground please.

the chances for survival when a plane crashes into water is much higher than land, the hudson river emergency landing would have lethal if the pilots tried to land on solid ground.

JPodz

Banned

How many times have you flown before where nothing has happened? I think you'll be fine. Better not drive to the airport. You can get in an accident. Dont take public transportation there either. Something bad can happen.

fallout

Well, you should probably take comfort in the fact that the incident in the article seemed to be a result of repeated mistakes and lapses in procedure rather than the one error.
In most plane crashes (of this magnitude), several things need to go wrong before it results in a catastrophe. AF447 had several opportunities to correct the issue, but never did sadly.

JPodz

Banned

Crashing into the ocean or crashing into land, you'll be dead either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom