• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zarovitch

I said "HOW the plane came to a halt" (i.e. did it careen in to the ocean and explode into a jillion pieces or did it crash land and could possibly still be intact...which would possibly explain the lack of debris after 17 days)

I did not dispute that it is probably in the ocean.

ok sorry.

Sad news, but at least we know the truth.

I can't decide if this whole search fiasco is due to incompetence or a coverup by the Malaysian government, though. I suppose it's incompetence, but the level of it is hard to believe.

To the folks who are wondering about Submarines to locate the bottom of the ocean, it's simple.

Subs have a maximum depth rating before pressure level destroys it - is at about 2400 feet. This is really the absolute limit.

The average depth of the Indian Ocean is 12,000 feet.

We are world's apart here. You really need to narrow down the location through ocean penetrating radar and then send submersibles.

I have a feeling this will become another Titanic type of situation where people will try to locate the plane. And it may not be discovered for years if at all.

luso

Just because they made an official statement to the families doesn't mean they are going to stop looking for the plane. It just after 2 weeks, using the information they have- there is no since of dragging out the families misery known the likelihood that when a plane crashes into an ocean and there are no rescuers at hand with minutes to days, the chances of survival are grim. The scope has just changed from rescue mission, to a pure recovery one now.

I said that because now for sure is on the ocean and not at North, also 16 days and no debris found, and even if something is still found now is far from the crash spot. It would be still a country size area to search. But still 2 weeks until the black boxes signals fades...

To the folks who are wondering about Submarines to locate the bottom of the ocean, it's simple.

Subs have a maximum depth rating before pressure level destroys it - is at about 2400 feet. This is really the absolute limit.

We are world's apart here. You really need to narrow down the location through ocean penetrating radar and then send submersibles.

I have a feeling this will become another Titanic type of situation where people will try to locate the plane. And it may not be discovered for years if at all.

What would be left at that depth?

blurrygil

There are way too many posters in this thread that hold on to some delusional process of seeing plane crashes in movies as science or fact.

There has been historic record of planes crashing in our vast oceans and disappearing for years at a time; and some never found.

I understand to those who want to hold on to some sort of hope. But the odds of anyone surviving a crash, based on the number of scenarios that are most likely, are absolutely astronomical--if not, impossible. To say that just because there is zero physical evidence, and that it equates to it never happening, is completely ludicrous.

Is there a remote chance of some other theory as to what had happened? Yes. But so far science and technology are proving us all wrong on these and points only and one or few more possibilities. So if you have some sort of other cockamamie theory as to what happened, try presenting it with some evidence or something that can truly discredit what we've all been following thus far. Because it's getting really old and stale after 7700 posts.

Kinyou

Even if they find the area where it went down, couldn't the current really pull it away a great distance?
hm, guess that would depend on how many pieces the plane split onto and what the ocean ground looks like.

Hm, yeah. Just looked it up. Currently there seem to be two search areas, both 22,800 square miles large.
When they send in the subs for the Air France flight they had it narrowed down to 2400 square miles.

breakfuss

Hopefully this brings about some improvements with tracking/gps devices. That this many people can just suddenly fall of the face of the earth is terrifying. I'll gladly pay the $5 surcharge or whatever for some better technology.

blurrygil

There have already been reports of the type of submersibles the Australians plan to use to try and pick up the black box signal. We'll see if it can pull it off. I'll be pleasantly surprised if it does.

To touch on the Malaysian government handling this: I can't entirely blame them on how they proceeded. Perhaps they've mistakes along the way, but they're not exactly proficient at this. To me, it seemed like they went through all of the proper steps of escalating the matter. Circumstances then reached a point beyond their comprehension, and the proper authorities were brought in to assist. It sucks that in their end of the world, they do not have access to the same technology that much of the world does, in terms of air tracking systems; of which may have concluded this much sooner. But to say they were a complete blunder is pretty unfair.

But to see how the this became a true international affair was quite comforting to see. With all of the political idiocy in this world, it was nice to know that a dozen countries from different parts of our planet were willing to come together and solve this difficult public mystery.

EDIT:
Hopefully this brings about some improvements with tracking/gps devices. That this many people can just suddenly fall of the face of the earth is terrifying. I'll gladly pay the $5 surcharge or whatever for some better technology.

Indeed. I was never aware (albeit not surprised) that modern technology would be so scarce in terms of air radar and tracking.

Chococat

But still 2 weeks until the black boxes signals fades...

Air France's black box wasn't recovered for 2 years. I guess what I am saying, while it is likely possible the wreckage will never be found, the search hasn't stopped so there is a slim possibility it could be found. I'm lean slightly pessimistic, but am still optimistic (about finding the wreckage- not survivors). If there is a term neutral term for waffling- that's where I am at. lol.

One thing that I saw on the BBC today that I hadn't realised or perhaps heard before is that after it's sharp left turn upon leaving Malaysia, the aircraft was apparently going through waypoints as set on its flight path. The odd thing here being that the flight path was not the flight path to Beijing, which can only mean that the pilot or someone else with knowledge of such things had reprogrammed it.
The reprogramming of autopilot is an interesting one. I've heard that it is possible (but unclear if normal) to pre-programme alternate flight paths beforehand in case of an emergency. I'd like to know more about this.

Log4Girlz

military subs yes hundreds to a few thousand feet. But there are subs that can go to the deepest trenches over 20 thousand feet

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
military subs yes hundreds to a few thousand feet. But there are subs that can go to the deepest trenches over 20 thousand feet

What would a mulitary sub even be able to do down there? They'll just have to use robotic submersibles anyway to do anything feasible

Woah, I just saw this on the news. So the plane was initially flying north, turned around near the point where contact was lost, flew back over Malaysia, and ended up west of Australia?

How does that happen? o_O

Damn I just saw on the news on one of the family members was crying and screaming that she just lost three generations of her family on that flight. Damn I wonder how many else are in that situation....that really hit me.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Woah, I just saw this on the news. So the plane was initially flying north, turned around near the point where contact was lost, flew back over Malaysia, and ended up west of Australia?

How does that happen? o_O

What I want to know is how do they know the plane headed south if they gave it two corridors? How the fuck would they know that. It could have gone either way and they haven't found jack shit for debris in the water yet. Are we supposed to believe whatever Malaysia shovels out even if they supposedly got help with all the data? They've must have flipped their story/theories around 50 times already across all spectrums.

What I want to know is how do they know the plane headed south if they gave it two corridors? How the fuck would they know that. It could have gone either way and they haven't found jack shit for debris in the water yet. Are we supposed to believe whatever Malaysia shovels out even if they supposedly got help with all the data? They've must have flipped their story/theories around 50 times already across all spectrums.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-26723980

graywords

a few posts up:

Here's a plain english description of what data they used and how to determine the plane's ultimate path. Combine it with airspeed, fuel consumption and levels and they can get a good idea of how far the plane went from the last ping location.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...a-Airlines-MH370-how-was-it-tracked-down.html

Here:

Here's a plain english description of what data they used and how to determine the plane's ultimate path. Combine it with airspeed, fuel consumption and levels and they can get a good idea of how far the plane went from the last ping location.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...a-Airlines-MH370-how-was-it-tracked-down.html

It kinda bothers me that the Malaysians are stating that everyone is dead and make this public announcement even before the debris are found and retrieved. Not that I believe anyone is alive at this point, just feels like they want to shrug off this whole thing.

CNN: Search operations suspended today because of bad weather.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
That's cool and all.

Unless the plane sunk intact I don't see why they haven't found jack shit They've been combing the corridors with satellite/ships and a ton of planes and they haven't seen anything.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
Not sure how credible the Telegraph is, but

Malaysia Airlines crash: Suicide mission theory of MH370 investigators

Flight MH370 crashed into the Indian Ocean in an apparent suicide mission, well-placed sources revealed have revealed, as Malaysia’s prime minister announced that everyone on the missing aircraft had died.

The team investigating the Boeing 777’s disappearance believe no malfunction or fire was capable of causing the aircraft’s unusual flight or the disabling of its communications system before it veered wildly off course on a seven-hour silent flight into the sea. An analysis of the flight’s routing, signalling and communications shows that it was flown “in a rational way”.

An official source told The Telegraph that investigators believe “this has been a deliberate act by someone on board who had to have had the detailed knowledge to do what was done ... Nothing is emerging that points to motive

Asked about the possibility of a plane malfunction or an on-board fire, the source said: “It just does not hinge together... [The investigators] have gone through processes you do to get the plane where it flew to for eight hours. They point to it being flown in a rational way.”
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/malaysia/10720237/Malaysia-Airlines-crash-Suicide-mission-theory-of-MH370-investigators.html

Haha, first grief over how the airline released info, now grief over how it's being released by the media. Can someone complain about how I released this post? This is hilarious from afar.

Sad for the families. Maybe they can start the process to grieve.

Hey, I just thought that it was kind of crazy for a news network to release information via iPhone notes screenshots.

Koshiro

I can't decide if this whole search fiasco is due to incompetence or a coverup by the Malaysian government, though. I suppose it's incompetence, but the level of it is hard to believe.
You must be new to Malaysia. This is par for the course for their government. They really are that useless.

MIMIC

Banned

Process of elimination, basically.

Last I heard, the only reason they were even searching in the southern corridor was because the plane "couldn't have possibly" been flying over so many countries undetected and whatnot.

Seems like we have been working backwards since day 1. But given the complete lack of solid, concrete info, I guess it's the only way to go.

andthebeatgoeson

It kinda bothers me that the Malaysians are stating that everyone is dead and make this public announcement even before the debris are found and retrieved. Not that I believe anyone is alive at this point, just feels like they want to shrug off this whole thing.

CNN: Search operations suspended today because of bad weather.
Well, it's based on science. Unless you believe the British are making it up. They were last known to be over the south Indian ocean based on the newest analysis.

Log4Girlz

What would a mulitary sub even be able to do down there? They'll just have to use robotic submersibles anyway to do anything feasible

The point being there are subs that can go to that depth for searching. .. failed to mention the well the point you bring up the there ate also unmanned subs

A tragic but unexpected end, really there was no happy ending after this amount of time.

Even though all reason and logic points to certain death it would be so hard as a family member to accept it without absolute proof. There was a couple from my town who's son got taken hostage somewhere in Kashmir, for years it was pretty much certain he had been killed but they wouldn't give up until a body was eventually found.

I'm a bit shocked they didn't use the advice of a member on here and check to see if it landed on an aircraft carrier...

MIMIC

Banned
That's cool and all.

Unless the plane sunk intact I don't see why they haven't found jack shit They've been combing the corridors with satellite/ships and a ton of planes and they haven't seen anything.

This is exactly what I don't understand. With all of this satellite imagery and "data analysis", they've yet to come across a single piece of the plane. With less scientific and technological assistance, they've been able to find wreckage of similar incidents (like Air France 447) in just a few days. And they have been looking in this area for HOW long now?

sangreal

That's cool and all.

map_2861757b.jpg

look at the size of the search area compared to the ocean (let alone the possible trajectories portrayed)

I don't think you appreciate the scale here. The Ocean and the suggested corridors are gigantic. It takes 4 hours by plane just to get to the area they searched

hamchan

The Malaysian government really is just that bad. It's what happens when a government stays in power for around 55 years straight.

sangreal

Not sure also about credibility. But could you imagine the pilot killing the co-pilot, setting a new route, programming autopilot to go south and killing himself?

the problem is the flight attendants, if not the passengers, would notice

(I'm not sure if the flight crew could be locked out, but I recall an article on that topic a few pages ago that dismissed the idea)

Ty4on

They haven't flipped theories, the media (not all) have just been throwing shit at the wall to see what sticked because the people in charge wouldn't say what happened because they weren't certain.
They've pretty much known the plane crashed west of Australia for over five days, but just know they've confirmed it. I'm sure they have a lot of evidence as to why. They haven't found debris because the plane crashed more than two weeks ago and the search is gigantic.
This is exactly what I don't understand. With all of this satellite imagery and "data analysis", they've yet to come across a single piece of the plane. With less scientific and technological assistance, they've been able to find wreckage of similar incidents (like Air France 447) in just a few days. And they have been looking in this area for HOW long now?
Air France 447 reported back a bunch of data with the ACARS just before the crash including it's exact position. Here they only have a rough idea of where the plane was and was heading at 8:11 and that the plane crashed between 8:11 and 9:11.

MIMIC

Banned
Air France 447 reported back a bunch of data with the ACARS just before the crash including it's exact position. Here they only have a rough idea of where the plane was and was heading at 8:11 and that the plane crashed between 8:11 and 9:11.

I thought ACARS only relayed info about the health of the plane and its systems (speed, engines, etc.), not location.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Still no piece of the plane found, and the biggest lead was the satellite pictures that turned out to be a whale carcass... At least the search will continue.

iceatcs

Australian air crews have spotted two objects in the southern Indian Ocean - one circular and one rectangular.

Have to wait for ships into the area.

coldfoot

Banned
I don't think you appreciate the scale here. The Ocean and the suggested corridors are gigantic. It takes 4 hours by plane just to get to the area they searched
You're right that's an enormous area. Any island bases close to there they might use? Or maybe bring a Carrier?

luso

the problem is the flight attendants, if not the passengers, would notice

(I'm not sure if the flight crew could be locked out, but I recall an article on that topic a few pages ago that dismissed the idea)
I meant pilot got rid of copilot, then the communications, killing himself and the plane stayed in the new course afterwards in autopilot... What could be done then by the crew or passengers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom