• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

KHarvey16

the chances for survival when a plane crashes into water is much higher than land, the hudson river emergency landing would have lethal if the pilots tried to land on solid ground.

The biggest difference is on water all you can do is crash. You at least have the opportunity to land when on solid ground.

Smokey

How many times have you flown before where nothing has happened? I think you'll be fine. Better not drive to the airport. You can get in an accident. Dont take public transportation there either. Something bad can happen.

It's not the plane.. It's the people in charge of the plane. That air France article showed they had no clue once auto pilot shut off. Are we descending of ascending? Seriously?

The fact of you putting your life in the hands of 2-3 people has always kind of bothered me.

HoosTrax

LOT Flight 16 did an all gear up landing (none of the gear deployed) on land. If a largish, relatively empty highway is found, that could be viable too I suppose.

The biggest difference is on water all you can do is crash. You at least have the opportunity to land when on solid ground.

It's the ensuing fire that kills a lot of people on land and drowning, obviously in water. That's if you survive the impact. Either way you're lucky to get out in both situations.

blurrygil

Shit has me shook. This whole situation has. I'm flying to Hawaii for honeymoon. Never flown over water before. That article got me feeling like nope but too late :(

The odds of you getting injured or killed are 700x less likely to happen than being in a car.

You're actually more likely of being shot by someone by over 2200%.

So try and rest easy on that honeymoon, man.

The odds of something going awry are near-cataclysmic levels. I'm a frequent traveler who used to have similar fears 10 years ago.

blurrygil

The fact of you putting your life in the hands of 2-3 people has always kind of bothered me.

No different than riding the bus, or in a cab, or a ferry, or an amusement ride.

Yes, the consequences are potentially so much more severe. But flying is actually that much safer. It's hard to grasp this sometimes, due to the scope of attention these occasions garner.

rkn

It's not the plane.. It's the people in charge of the plane. That air France article showed they had no clue once auto pilot shut off. Are we descending of ascending? Seriously?

Had a whole post written up, but it just boiled down to basically this. Some of the design decisions, and I'm sure being an armchair of an armchair mechanical engineer here, are really odd, such as the dual flight sticks that average each pilots input, rather than a one dude in control approach. Also not being able to tell if you were angled up or down, seems like something you'd just be able to feel rather than rely on a readout. Or take the whole American space pen vs russian pencil angle and use some sort of low tech solution to indicate leveling as a backup? Mostly based on the Air France disaster and reading up on it, pilot error / inexperience played a massive part in it as well, which is again really scary, captain leaves cabin and 15 minutes later everyone is dead.

pestul

Reading a lot of the comments from pilots on that 447 article. A lot of criticism is thrown at Airbus as well with the averaging of dual pilot controls. It seemed likely that when Roberts attempted to nose down that would have saved everyone's lives (possibly). Still, to completely ignore over 75 stall warnings is baffling.

xnipx

I hate comparing death tolls when arguing over which mode of transportation is safer. Most car accidents don't end in death. Most plane crashes do. The number of deaths relative to the number of crashes is more relevant than how many people died total.

Totakeke

Part of it could also be because of the Chinese-Malay tensions in Malaysia, which have been there for a very long time. I live in Australia but the majority of my family are living in Malaysia and I hear all the time about how the Malays get all the advantages from the government and the Chinese are discriminated against, losing things like places in Universities, even though their marks are better. Basically institutionalized racism against Chinese, and Indians too.

I don't think China cares that much about the welfare of non-citizens in other countries. Most of its citizens won't even know such issues exist.

fallout

Or take the whole American space pen vs russian pencil angle and use some sort of low tech solution to indicate leveling as a backup?
Not to pull this off-topic too much, but this is a common myth:

http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp

Short version: Americans and Russians both started out using pencils in space, but found that having pencil shavings floating around was dangerous. They also wanted to reduce the number of flammable objects on board. The space pen was developed independently by Paul C. Fisher, who then sold 400 of them to NASA at $2.95 each back in 1967.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I hate comparing death tolls when arguing over which mode of transportation is safer. Most car accidents don't end in death. Most plane crashes do. The number of deaths relative to the number of crashes is more relevant than how many people died total.

All the good analysis takes that into account and it's still not even close in terms of safety. Like the gap is comical. Even if you're scared to death of flying (totally legit), I don't see why this would be even remotely surprising if you drive at all.

xnipx

All the good analysis takes that into account and it's still not even close in terms of safety. Like the gap is comical. Even if you're scared to death of flying (totally legit), I don't see why this would be even remotely surprising if you drive at all.

So you're telling me the average survival rate of a plane crash is higher than that of a car crash?? If someone is scared of a plane crash then they are scared of what will happen ASSUMING a plane crash occurs. Taking into account the planes that don't crash doesn't help that's fear.

When a car crash occurs. They aren't necessarily guaranteed death.

depths20XX

So you're telling me the average survival rate of a plane crash is higher than that of a car crash?? If someone is scared of a plane crash then they are scared of what will happen ASSUMING a plane crash occurs. Taking into account the planes that don't crash doesn't help that's fear.

When a car crash occurs. They aren't necessarily guaranteed death.

Why does it matter that you almost always die when a plane crashes? The fact is you're more likely to die in a car crash than on a plane.

xnipx

Why does it matter that you almost always die when a plane crashes? The fact is you're more likely to die in a car crash than on a plane.

You're more likely overall. But chances of surviving a car crash are much greater which is my point. Telling me that more people die in car crashes won't make me more likely to get on a plane because I know that IF the plane goes down I'm pretty much fucked. A drunk driver can flip my car over and I still might survive.

KHarvey16

You're more likely overall. But chances of surviving a car crash are much greater which is my point. Telling me that more people die in car crashes won't make me more likely to get on a plane because I know that IF the plane goes down I'm pretty much fucked. A drunk driver can flip my car over and I still might survive.

But you compare deaths. There are tens of thousands of deaths in cars every year and far, far fewer deaths in planes. Also if you look at aviation across all categories including civil and commercial, small and large planes, most accidents do not result in any fatalities at all.

I can't sleep when someone else is driving a car but nothing like the anxiety of no control when in a plane. Is it really that crazy for people to feel more unsafe when flying than when driving despite it being "More safe to fly".

MIMIC

Banned
Well, they have been quoting agencies based in USA, UK and France now and not a single one of those agencies have stepped forth to refute Malaysia's official statements, I'm not sure how you're basing the validity of the statements solely on the incompetence (perceived, or otherwise) of Malaysian authorities. Unless you're implying that the FAA, NTSB, AAIB, Inmarsat and French investigators are all complicit in a massive international coverup.

Considering the two of you have consistently had the worst posts in this thread outside of obvious jest posts, I guess it's a good thing you've stopped caring?

My implication was that nobody knows what they are talking about, or basically that there is just TOO little information causing people to come up with all kinds of contradictory/inaccurate reports. Like I already mentioned, CNN says one thing while Inmarsat says another. How do you reconcile that? (unless you just randomly pick someone to side with).

Or what about the "objects" seen floating in the "search area" that they suddenly can't find? Or the fact that they said that they will have the circular and rectangular objects in their possession "within a few hours"? What ever happened to that? How many false reports of debris sightings do we need before it's reasonable to conclude that maybe they don't know what they're talking about (or that they're looking in the wrong area)?

And maybe I jumped the gun a bit, too. I still care, but I'm just not going to assume that anybody actually knows where the plane is until there is physical evidence of it.

Irminsul

A drunk driver can flip my car over and I still might survive.
...eh? That's the whole point of these statistics. You're still more likely to die in a car crash than on a plane. That only means there are even more car crashes overall, just non-deadly.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
That Air France article! God damn. You forget what the fate of the crew and passengers is until the very end as your heart is racing the entire time. So god damn tragic and frightening.

Edit: figured it out, I'm an asshole

syllogism

My implication was that nobody knows what they are talking about, or basically that there is just TOO little information causing people to come up with all kinds of contradictory/inaccurate reports. Like I already mentioned, CNN says one thing while Inmarsat says another. How do you reconcile that? (unless you just randomly pick someone to side with).

Or what about the "objects" seen floating in the "search area" that they suddenly can't find? Or the fact that they said that they will have the circular and rectangular objects in their possession "within a few hours"? What ever happened to that? How many false reports of debris sightings do we need before it's reasonable to conclude that maybe they don't know what they're talking about (or that they're looking in the wrong area)?

And maybe I jumped the gun a bit, too. I still care, but I'm just not going to assume that anybody actually knows where the plane is until there is physical evidence of it.
i) CNN is quoting sources whose data is based on primary radar readings, which are unreliable. They have never claimed radar-based altitude readings to be reliable.
ii) Inmarsat pings occurred roughly once an hour, so altitude calculations based on that can only estimate the altitude of the plane at that specific time, not between pings.

These statements aren't inconsistent at all.

The issue seems to be that you haven't done research rather than "nobody knows" what they are talking about.

Husker86

The other issue with AF447 was training. It appears the co pilot flat out didn't know he could stall the craft. Airbus's can't be stalled in Normal Law. So he could have held back on the stick all he wanted and the craft wouldn't have left it's flight envelope.

As soon as the airspeed indicators went and the aircraft went into alternate law all bets were off.

Its a failure of training IMO and the fact that many pilots nowadays are not trained to "fly" but trained to operate an aircraft.

I am more worried that two co-pilots are allowed to be the sole operators.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
We already debunked this logic early in this thread.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Did the link to that Popular Mechanics Air France article die? Where the fuck is it? I'm trying to show everyone at work the article AND IT ISN'T WORKING!

Nooooooo

JonnyBrad

There's nothing wrong with the link.

And screw Bonin. How come he's never heard of a stall?

Part of the problem is pilots not being trained in airbus alternate law ie when the airspeed reading went haywire the plane turned off its automatic systems. Meaning they actually have to fly the bloody plane. You can't stall an airbus in normal law. The computer won't let you. That doesn't excuse holding the stick back and falling out of the sky however.

Air France especially (imo) were guilty of not training their pilots to fly in special cases. They would not be my first choice of airline to fly on.

Log4Girlz

He, quite honestly, was a fucking moron. And both co-pilots ignoring the stall warning over 70 times. Holy shit. Its to the point where I question if Bonin really passed any standards necessary to be any kind of pilot at all.

Seriously. As I was watching that I was actually getting mad at him. Take your fucking hand off the lever. There was no communication amongst the pilots as to what they were doing - and it's like he completely forgot about his right hand. At least according to the dialogue presented in the documentary.

Seems like almost entirely pilot error to me - from not avoiding the storm in the first place to not knowing how to arrest a stall.

blurrygil

However, statistics show that you're over 2000% more likely to die while in a motor vehicle than while on any form of air transport. It's not based purely on the chances of purely being in an accident. It's about how likely you would perish along with the chances of getting into an accident. Deaths relative to crash numbers does not equate to an overall mortality rate. If you really want to slap a magnifying glass over things, we can get into injury (non-lethal) statistics.

SmokeMaxX

From what I read a while back, they couldn't actually figure out if they were climbing or falling. I guess they couldn't tell from looking out the window like when people drive a car.

blurrygil

From what I read a while back, they couldn't actually figure out if they were climbing or falling. I guess they couldn't tell from looking out the window like when people drive a car.

While in the midst of a tropical storm, I'd have doubts to my direction and heading as well.

Ty4on

This is the first 777 crash where everyone died. In its first hull loss everyone survived and in its second only two died.

The older A340 has been in some accidents, but no fatalities yet. Everyone survived in this crash:
Airfranceflight358.jpg

Edit: Awful deaths can happen when driving as well.

blurrygil

But you compare deaths. There are tens of thousands of deaths in cars every year and far, far fewer deaths in planes. Also if you look at aviation across all categories including civil and commercial, small and large planes, most accidents do not result in any fatalities at all.

This sums up my points much better. Cheers, lol.

MIMIC

Banned
i) CNN is quoting sources whose data is based on primary radar readings, which are unreliable. They have never claimed radar-based altitude readings to be reliable.

Where are you getting this information that a radar-based altitude reading is unreliable?

ii) Inmarsat pings occurred roughly once an hour, so altitude calculations based on that can only estimate the altitude of the plane at that specific time, not between pings.

These statements aren't inconsistent at all.

I was interpreting that statement to mean the entire flight, not just those 7 pings. If that's what they meant, then sure: they're not inconsistent after all.

But what about the objects being sighted? You completely ignored that and just attacked everything else I said. Last I heard, the objects would be in their possessions "within a few hours", which was 2 days ago. And not only that: NONE of the objects seen by satellite have been visually confirmed, and I think the first one sighted was a week ago.

Where are you getting this information that a radar-based altitude reading is unreliable?

This claim is attached to the radar ping that had the plane climbing up past 40,000 ft. That specific reading was at the edge of the radar coverage, where altitude readings can be inconsistent.

I was interpreting that statement to mean the entire flight, not just those 7 pings. If that's what they meant, then sure: they're not inconsistent after all.

I don't believe they have any height information from the INMERSAT pings, but, the distance traveled on their fuel might allow them to make an inference that they were at cruising height, and not flying lower.

But what about the objects being sighted? You completely ignored that and just attacked everything else I said. Last I heard, the objects would be in their possessions "within a few hours", which was 2 days ago. And not only that: NONE of the objects seen by satellite have been visually confirmed, and I think the first one sighted was a week ago.

Literally no authorities ever said "objects would be in their possessions 'within a few hours'." I have no idea where you would have gotten that from. There was zero expectation of that.

xnipx

I don't think you guys get my point. I'm not scared of flying. But someone who IS scared of flying is scared of the consequences of a PLANE CRASH not the consequences of simply getting on the plane. Therefore in their mind once the plane inevitably crashes their chances of survival are slim to none whereas in a car even if they crash 100 times most times they will live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom