• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cnn hinting at terrorism. I'm admittedly putting on my tinfoil hat here but I'm going to give credence to the theory given the complete silence of officials so far and the media's dancing around the issue like they just need a little more to confirm it. Actually never mind that's never really stopped British tabloids or Cnn before so I don't know.

Pandemic

Damn, just found out that a couple on the plane are from the Sydney, Australia. They own or owned a petrol station which I'd always fill up since it was cheaper than surrounding gas stations. Very nice couple, very sad.

zeroOman

Cnn hinting at terrorism. I'm admittedly putting on my tinfoil hat here but I'm going to give credence to the theory given the complete silence of officials so far and the media's dancing around the issue like they just need a little more to confirm it. Actually never mind that's never really stopped British tabloids or Cnn before so I don't know.

terrorism from who?

Daria

What does the silence from officials have to do with it? They've been searching for a plane in an ocean for the past however many hours. What more do you want them to say? They can't find the shit. And the media is jumping to these idiotic theories because everybody in America thinks everything is linked to terrorism. They're so blinded by all this that they forget real accidents just happen.

Game-Biz

There's just not enough evidence at this point to even speculate about this being a terrorist attack. We don't even have the plane.

Daria

CNN is saying the FBI is being sent to help with the investigation.

This is about the only tidbit of information that would lead people to believe it's a terrorism attack. I still don't think it is but the FBI investing this is pretty serious. But then again they could also be investing it based fully on the fact that this plane just up and vanished.

malfcn

For some reason I picture neon water from a water landing as a signal. Is that not a thing, or does it have to be released?

Trouble

Banned
This is about the only tidbit of information that would lead people to believe it's a terrorism attack. I still don't think it is but the FBI investing this is pretty serious. But then again they could also be investing it based fully on the fact that this plane just up and vanished.

Maybe it's an NTSB/FBI joint task force. The FBI only going to assist seems weird. The NTSB gets asked to assist all the time when planes crash in other countries, though.

pax217

Hi all, I saw this infographic and thought it was pretty well laid out. I don't know if it was a "terrorist attack" or not, nor do I have an opinion. I just found this to be informative relative to all the speculation. Thoughts/prayers simply out to those who were affected.

It's important to recall that on AF447, the Brazilian Air Force spotted wreckage at the same time they spotted the oil. Yes, it was some time (a year or more) before larger parts of the aircraft were recovered, but they had proof beyond reasonable doubt that the plane was gone within about 30 hours of it "losing contact"... and found wreckage as soon as they arrived on the scene. If Vietnamese are already there and haven't found anything, it begs a mystery.

BiN32qFCEAAsBqH.jpg

Maybe it's an NTSB/FBI joint task force. The FBI only going to assist seems weird. The NTSB gets asked to assist all the time when planes crash in other countries, though.

This.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
For some reason I picture neon water from a water landing as a signal. Is that not a thing, or does it have to be released?

Report earlier indicate they found oil/fuel slicks. I think it's very odd that they haven't found anything yet. Even with the Air France flight they found debris and bodies very quickly.

Daria

Sounds plausible. I just learned about the NTSB and was told the FBI really only investigates when they suspect it to be something more than just a crash. I think this is just a special case and they're calling in more teams than usual.

Hi all, I saw this infographic and thought it was pretty well laid out. I don't know if it was a "terrorist attack" or not, nor do I have an opinion. I just found this to be informative relative to all the speculation. Thoughts/prayers simply out to those who were affected.

Informative indeed, thanks for posting. Really not sure what to think at this point. Just have a very unsettling feeling.

yuraya

How in the world are they still looking for this plane? Wouldn't a big plane like this leave a lot of debris if it crashed? Even if its over water there should still be debris everywhere. Its crazy they have yet to find anything 24 hours after its gone missing. This is gotta be a nightmare for people who had friends and family on that plane. smh

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
How in the world are they still looking for this plane? Wouldn't a big plane like this leave a lot of debris if it crashed? Even if its over water there should still be debris everywhere. Its crazy they have yet to find anything 24 hours after its gone missing. This is gotta be a nightmare for people who had friends and family on that plane. smh

If and IF the plane blew up at 36k feet wouldn't the debris be ALL over the place but very very very wide apart and impossible to "see" ? Unless a large chunk is seen?

Vashetti

Banned
So if the plane crashed into the sea, would it kind of "disintegrate" on impact?

I'm trying to be delicate with my words here, but it's obviously going to be very hard for them to locate/identify bodies if so.

Planes just don't disappear, they will find something eventually. I think the lack of information pretty much means everyone on that flight has died, otherwise somebody on that plane would have contacted someone else with a mobile phone.

Aesius

So if the plane crashed into the sea, would it kind of "disintegrate" on impact?

I'm trying to be delicate with my words here, but it's obviously going to be very hard for them to locate/identify bodies if so.

Planes just don't disappear, they will find something eventually. I think the lack of information pretty much means everyone on that flight has died, otherwise somebody on that plane would have contacted someone else with a mobile phone.

What if it went into a nosedive and just plowed into the water at full speed? Would it sink immediately?

pax217

According to CNN even the oil slicks haven't been confirmed yet.

That's surprising that CNN would have unconfirmed something. Usually they're the ones confirming the things that aren't true... that said, considering the ships are supposed to be there already and haven't found anything, I'm not surprised at that.

The last the WSJ had reported on the "oil slick" was 7 hours ago, and was that Malaysia/Vietnam saying that oil slicks are not uncommon out there, and it could very well not be from the plane.

AF447 hit the water at about 150 knots (280kmh or 170mph, slow for a plane) and was torn apart, yes. The faster you're going, the worse its going to be--especially with an aluminum/composite plane.

It will disintegrate on impact, yes. As answered elsewhere more accurately:

Is it better to land at sea or land?
Landing at sea is dangerous. Rescue workers can't get to them. If its a crash, water surface tension is as hard as concrete. Landing at flat land is much safer. Waves and water crease makes it dangerous to land in the sea. If any part of the plane gets in contact with water, it would rip the plane apart.

It also all depends on how much fuel was on board, how much impact the crash had, whether the water was calm or not, and more. Its basically like diving on your belly; it hurts a lot. Do that to a plane and expect it to tear in multiple pieces.

HoosTrax

It's interesting that that infographic seems to suggest that hijacking and subsequent incapacitation of the flight deck is among the three main possibilities -- it begs the question how they would breach the cockpit to begin with, and if the cockpit door is less secured on Malaysian planes than they are required to be on US planes post-9-11.

yuraya

If and IF the plane blew up at 36k feet wouldn't the debris be ALL over the place but very very very wide apart and impossible to "see" ? Unless a large chunk is seen?

Thats true but there should still have been something 24 hours later. Pieces of the engine, luggage, human remains some of those things must have been found by now. Every site I've read seems to not mention anything regarding debris. At all. The route the plane was taking didn't seem that long of a flight and they lost contact with it about 2 hours after it took off if I recall correctly. Its almost as if this large plane just vanished. Its gotta be the craziest thing I've ever seen. This stuff is reminding me of some crazy Bermuda triangle myth.. this plane flew into some portal and traveled back in time or something.

Konka

Banned
Sounds plausible. I just learned about the NTSB and was told the FBI really only investigates when they suspect it to be something more than just a crash. I think this is just a special case and they're calling in more teams than usual.

Guys it says right in the CNN article why the FBI is involved.

A team of FBI agents is heading to Malaysia to support the investigation because of the handful of Americans who were on board the plane, a U.S. official told CNN.

What if it went into a nosedive and just plowed into the water at full speed? Would it sink immediately?

This is the most likely scenario. These are deep waters. The plane and parts are probably all under water which is why nothing has been found. If there was an explosion there would probably be pieces wherever the explosion happened. But if its true it was just disintegration caused not by an explosion but by some failure or damage, then who knows where those parts would be.

Basically people, the plane and parts are all underwater. That's why they're having a hard time finding stuff.

pax217

It's interesting that that infographic seems to suggest that hijacking and subsequent incapacitation of the flight deck is among the three main possibilities -- it begs the question how they would breach the cockpit to begin with, and if the cockpit door is less secured on Malaysian planes than they are required to be on US planes post-9-11.

I want to make sure everyone knows I posted that as a response to the handful of terrorism speculation posts so that anyone replying "How do you know it was terrorism?" understands the perspective...

Deadbeat

Banned
Is there any more info on the part about two stolen passports were used for people to get on the plane? I heard about it when I was at the gym.

No matter how secure a cockpit door is, all it takes is one pilot to go out for a break for someone to break in, or takes one hostess to open door to serve food.

Is there any more info on the part about two stolen passports were used for people to get on the plane? I heard about it when I was at the gym.

In average scenario, it most likely is just identity theft. Happens a lot in Asian countries, especially overseas passports as they go for thousands of dollars in black market.

Vashetti

Banned
I just can't believe it's been over 24 hours now and they've found nothing.

I can feel a conspiracy coming. Feels like they know what's happened but don't want to go public with it.

pax217

Is there anyway for it to not disintegrate on impact upon hitting the sea?

Yes, think of a rock skipping over the top of the water... but you also should think about what happens to the rock that's skipped in an ocean full of waves. Should the plane have been able to "skip", the wings would certainly sheer no matter what.

Yes. The two passports were reported stolen more than 12 months ago in Thailand. One is Austrian, the other is Italian. Both individuals tied to those passports are alive and well, and are not being questioned. It's not uncommon for this to happen in these countries, though. It is usually related to drug smuggling.

No matter how secure a cockpit door is, it takes one pilot to go out for a break for someone to break in, or takes one hostess to open door to serve food.

Exactly.

Mononoke

Banned
So uh, Yahoo is claiming that there are 2 more stolen passports? Story is an hour old though, so not sure.

Authorities have yet to confirm the identities of two more European passengers on flight MH370, adding to two others using stolen passports in the Malaysia Airlines plane which vanished over the Malaysia-Vietnam maritime border yesterday.

The Malaysian Insider understands that all four had bought their flight tickets from China Southern Airlines, the Malaysia Airlines codeshare partner for the Kuala Lumpur-Beijing route.
"The background checks with the embassies are being done but these two cannot be confirmed," a source told The Malaysian Insider, adding that both were from the same country.

http://my.news.yahoo.com/two-more-e...ect-identities-onboard-missing-005206266.html

pax217

So uh, Yahoo is claiming that there are 2 more stolen passports? Story is an hour old though, so not sure.

http://my.news.yahoo.com/two-more-e...ect-identities-onboard-missing-005206266.html

Hadn't seen that, thanks for posting.

I'm not buying into the terrorist thing just yet, myself.

Here is the latest out of the WSJ:
http://blogs.wsj.com/searealtime/20...s-search-of-missing-jet-to-strait-of-malacca/

A "wider" search indicates to me that they're assuming a mid-air catastrophe, and that there is direction relative to its planned path that they believe the plane took on its way down.

I just can't believe it's been over 24 hours now and they've found nothing.

I can feel a conspiracy coming. Feels like they know what's happened but don't want to go public with it.

Believe me, as easy as it is sounds to find pieces of planes, it's not. They sink to the bottom of the ocean, and those that float are not easy to find as they tend to move way further than the crash site.

Ever dropped a pin in the floor and tried finding it? That's exactly how it is. It's hard finding an object as small as a plane in a massive radius. They don't always stay where they crash.

Remember this incident: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Air_Flight_574
The plane's debris was found 10 days later, and by a fisherman not by a rescue team. Only when the fisherman reported it is when they realized they were searching in the wrong location as the debris tends to get pushed by the waves onto the shores.

Pbae

Hadn't seen that, thanks for posting.

I'm not buying into the terrorist thing just yet, myself.

Yeah I feel the same way and I agree with one of the posters above that stated that if it was a terrorist cell they would have claimed responsibility. Still, it seems so very odd that there is no apparent signs of the airplane other than two possible oil slicks.

Mononoke

Banned
Yeah I feel the same way and I agree with one of the posters above that stated that if it was a terrorist cell they would have claimed responsibility. Still, it seems so very odd that there is no apparent signs of the airplane other than two possible oil slicks.

I hate speculating. But to me, the stolen passports doesn't = terrorism. Stolen passports are often used for smuggling, and other illegal crimes (as has been stated). Even if there are 4 stolen passports, it's just as likely that the 4 passports were bought illegally and the 4 people flew together.

That said, I don't think we should assume that a terrorist attack = a larger group effort. All it takes is ONE crazy person to commit a terrorist attack. So we might not necessarily get info of a "claim" early on, especially if there isn't a group to claim it, and the person that used the bomb is either dead, or in hiding.

pax217

I think the biggest thing that points to the "terrorism" stuff isn't the passports, but the fact that there was no radio communication, no distress signal, nothing.

...but just as much as that "fact" points to terrorism, it also points to a bad fuel line in the wrong place at the wrong time (which is also highly, highly unlikely, though).

Mononoke

Banned
I thought international airports had transitioned from radar to GPS for planes. Wouldn't that give them a precise location?

Not if it was destroyed? That is what is crazy about this. The fact that the plane just dropped off from the radar immediately. Only way that could happen, is if something catastrophic happened that caused extensive damage to the plane and all communications. That is what is so interesting and worrying about this incident.

If anything it may have been the exact same what happened to TWA 800.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWA_Flight_800

Well that's crazy.

pax217

There's even a picture:

manchamalaysia.jpg

Yes, but both Vietnam and Malaysia have said that large oil slicks left by shipping vessels are not uncommon in the Gulf of Thailand.

A representative at Boeing has said that it appears to be conducive to that of a slick that a crashing plane would leave. No idea how to recognize that, but I'll take it for what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom