• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

crozier

I wonder if it was a total power failure and the pilots decided to glide the plane in? The course change and continual descent would make sense in that context...no navigational or communications equipment...

Cromat

I wonder if it was a total power failure and the pilots decided to glide the plane in? The course change and continual descent would make sense in that context...no navigational or communications equipment...

This seems like the only mechanical failure option that makes sense. Plane loses all electric power for some reason, the pilots immediately turn around and try to land but can't navigate without the help of electronics.

I'm not big on assuming conspiracies, but given the parameters of this accident it's hard to imagine a scenario that doesn't involve some foul play such as:

1) Pilot suicide
2) Hijacking attempt
3) The plane was accidentally shot down by some military force and there is a cover-up

KHarvey16

So now it's pretty obvious that the plane is indeed at the other side of Malaysia... to the west/northwest. Last contact from radar made there, and from the same place, 8 villagers heard a 'jet' noise by 01:30am.

I just don't understand why the military didn't release this info before... they wasted 3 days worth of search in the wrong place.

They've been searching over there. Up until this latest info was known people couldn't believe they were wasting time and resources searching over there.

Avionics are designed to withstand EMI.

Mully

This seems like the only mechanical failure option that makes sense. Plane loses all electric power for some reason, the pilots immediately turn around and try to land but can't navigate without the help of electronics.

I'm not big on assuming conspiracies, but given the parameters of this accident it's hard to imagine a scenario that doesn't involve some foul play such as:

1) Pilot suicide
2) Hijacking attempt
3) The plane was accidentally shot down by some military force and there is a cover-up

Would that make sense given the unverified accounts by fisherman in Kota Bharu that they saw bright lights moving low over the coast?

The revelations that the plane flew hundreds of miles off course would appear to rule out sudden catastrophic mechanical failure.

It would mean the plane flew around 500 km (350miles) at least after its last contact with air traffic control, although its transponder and other tracking systems were off.

A non-military source familiar with the investigations said the report was one of several theories and was being checked.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/missing-malaysia-airlines-flight-live-3219331#ixzz2vgZhufeY
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

Well, damn

140311134342-flight-course-00001224-story-top.jpg

crozier

Honestly any fire large enough to kill that many systems probably causes the plane to crash quickly.
Well, what do you speculate at this point? Nothing makes sense to me outside the catastrophic power-outage angle, especially if they've ruled out the two Iranians being connected to terrorism.

Blader

1) Pilot suicide
2) Hijacking attempt

Wouldn't the enormous turnaround rule out pilot suicide too? If a pilot wanted to kill himself and take the plane with him (sidebar: how often does this ever happen?) there was plenty of ocean for it on the way there.

syllogism

How are they arriving at the 350-400m number? Six hours of fuel sounds like it could go farther than that.
It's the distance between the old last known transponder position and the alleged last known military radar sighting near the island of Pulau Perak (Strait of Malacca)

tried to turn around but got the course wrong by 20 degrees

Would suggest to me faulty (or non-existent) navigation systems at the very least

I'm thinking somehow the navigation, transponder/tracking and radio systems were damaged/lost power but somehow the flight controls managed to survive for at least sometime

thefro

quick, someone ask Indonesian military whether they had some rogue planes cruising there too

Wouldn't they have some sort of backup map system? I know our pilots for our corporate jets have software on their laptops where they can pull up flight maps (I've had to install it).

You'd think an experienced pilot could navigate using the coastline or following a highway, even at night.

Can you lose your sense of directions if you don't have a Transponder and radio

I'm sure they had a compass.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Did Indonesia not see the plane? I mean with the above map the plane is heading directly to indonesia.

lemmykoopa

On the land picture above it shows at the number 1 that a turn around is made, and the number 2 is indicating where it was last spot on radar.

Now I wonder if en route from 1 to 2 if it was constantly seen on radar, or only appeared briefly on radar when it arrived at point 2? If it was on radar all the time why weren't fighter jets scrambled to go and see what's happening? Surely a commercial plane making a turn around without having any communication with air traffic means the airplane is having problems or something suspicious is going on?

I sort of doubt the plane actually went down in Malacca. With the amount of shipping traffic that goes through there I find it almost impossible to believe that some sort of debris wouldn't have been found since the crash.

quick, someone ask Indonesian military whether they had some rogue planes cruising there too

Why turn around though? Wouldn't Vietnam have a closer airport at that point? Heck, Vietnam would be closer even if they were trying to make a landing over, well, land.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Now I wonder if en route from 1 to 2 if it was constantly seen on radar, or only appeared briefly on radar when it arrived at point 2? If it was on radar all the time why weren't fighter jets scrambled to go and see what's happening? Surely a commercial plane making a turn around without having any communication with air traffic means the airplane is having problems or something suspicious is going on?

that would assume Malaysian and Indonesian military would

- have people paying attention to who flies in their aerospace
- have an agreed response to unidentified / unresponsive craft
- have the air craft required to intercept, ready and fuelled

I am not sure of whether these assumptions are entirely accurate.

All very suspicious.

How so? a large number of air disasters occur because of aircraft malfunction or pilot error. From what little we know the terrorism/pilot suicide/missile strike doesn't even make sense in this situation. Lets not forget how quick we are to jump to conclusions, TWA 800/Air France 447 was initially thought to be an act of terrorism and look how that turned up.

Yamauchi

Banned
You shouldn't expect Indonesian radar to have picked anything up. I'm not going to say much more on it, but I have family in the Indonesian government and intelligence service and the source of my statement is based on that.

LegoArmo

How so? a large number of air disasters occur because of aircraft malfunction or pilot error. From what little we know the terrorism/pilot suicide/missile strike doesn't even make sense in this situation. Lets not forget how quick we are to jump to conclusions, TWA 800/Air France 447 was initially thought to be an act of terrorism and look how that turned up.

The fact they flew for so long after losing communication, off course, just seems odd. Terrorism is the least likely possibility, in my opinion, I think there's something they're not telling people yet, or don't want people to know though.

Ovid

The info that they're putting out is very inconsistent. It looks like a cover-up or something.

The Malaysian government’s inconsistencies in the handling of the crisis were further highlighted Tuesday when the country’s chief of police said there had been no baggage removed from the aircraft before take-off early Saturday, contradicting what officials had said for the past three days.

Khalid Abu Bakar, the inspector general of the Malaysian police, said previous reports by Malaysian officials that five passengers had failed to board the flight and that their baggage had been removed were false. “Everybody that booked the flight boarded the plane,” he said.

But Malaysia Airlines later issued a clarification, saying that there were four passengers who booked tickets on the flight but failed to check in at the airport or check any bags for the flight.

The fact they flew for so long after losing communication, off course, just seems odd. Terrorism is the least likely possibility, in my opinion, I think there's something they're not telling people yet, or don't want people to know though.
On top of that, it appears they knew this and still kept the search efforts in an area where the plane couldn't possibly be.

The info that they're putting out is very inconsistent. It looks like a cover-up or something.

Incompetency or inconsistent information the police received would also explain that though

It's not as if the inspector general of the Malaysian police was the one to load luggage on the plane after all

Chittagong

Gold Member
You shouldn't expect Indonesian radar to have picked anything up. I'm not going to say much more on it, but I have family in the Indonesian government and intelligence service and the source of my statement is based on that.

Welp.

With the possibility of the plane having flown over Indonesia without anybody batting an eye, next on the trajectory are Maldives, Seychelles and Somalia. Not sure whether the 6h of remaining fuel would have got it all the way across to Somalia. Not at the low altitude at least.

Waaghals

Could it have been decompression?

Most cases of planes just going silent and flying around aimlessly is a result of a loss in cabin pressure.

Yes, the crew has masks but if they can't get to them within a few seconds they are in trouble.

There was this Greek flight that did just that some years ago.

Edit: I had a brain fart. It would of course not account for the loss of transponder signal. never mind.

Daria

Could a direct lightning strike destroy all the electronics on board?

The skies were clear, there were no reports of any weather that would damage the plane in that matter.

---

Also can we please stop asking about the phones ringing? There is NO way that the phones would work at 35,000ft above the ocean. This 777 did not have wifi or personal phones in it as well. That whole theory is just wrong. It would not happen.

Now we have theories of a cover up? LOL

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Welp.

With the possibility of the plane having flown over Indonesia without anybody batting an eye, next on the trajectory are Maldives, Seychelles and Somalia. Not sure whether the 6h of remaining fuel would have got it all the way across to Somalia. Not at the low altitude at least.
They could not have made it across the Indian ocean in 6 hours.

Welp.

The assumption is that it maintained course if it did just keep flying.

LegoArmo

I don't know why if they knew it turned back, as indicated on the search areas image, why they were still searching around the initial disappearance spot. Are they not 100% on that?

Also can we please stop asking about the phones ringing? There is NO way that the phones would work at 35,000ft above the ocean. This 777 did not have wifi or personal phones in it as well. That whole theory is just wrong. It would not happen.
I don't think anyone is suggesting the phones were ringing at 35000ft. The phones were ringing well after it disappeared from tracking, so presumably the phones were on the ground at that point. We also don't know where the plane is, so it might have crashed somewhere that gets signal? We just don't know anything. Anyway many people are saying that you get false rings sometimes when the operator is searching networks.

1) Pilot suicide
2) Hijacking attempt

#3 is ruled out (I thought) because the US said they monitor for flashes of flight (with satellites, I presume) and did not detect any. So that would mean no explosion occurred (deliberate or otherwise).

I'd also rule out a total failure of all communication, flight controls, electronics since all would have to fail catastrophically at the same time in order for there to be no sign of distress.

So yeah, it seems like it was either a deliberate action by the flight crew or a passenger. Even that seems unlikely, though.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
well damn...

Daria

I don't know why if they knew it turned back, as indicated on the search areas image, why they were still searching around the initial disappearance spot. Are they not 100% on that?

The turn around wasn't reported until late Sunday night I believe and they just wanted to make sure they covered every possible area would be my guess.

I'm not sure on number 3 but I'm sure that they definitely do for 1 and 2.

These aren't 3rd world countries...

Daria

I don't know if this has been stated about the GPS or not but, GPS would be available on the plane but ATC does not track planes utilizing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom