• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

1. Where in that article does it claim "the way they keep the location of spy satellites unknown is by continually varying the orbital pattern via thrusters"?
  2. Why is that article considered gospel truth? Why would random article on howstuffworks with NO authors attached to it be a good source of information on this?
  3. I can make things up as well. How about a spy satellite that's classified as a weather satellite so it can hide in plain site and doesn't need to hide its orbit? *GASP*

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
What... one official says something, the other goes and says that what the first one stated is a lie. Jesus Christ,what is going on? :|
The Malaysian airforce doesn't want the world to know their incompetence.

If their radar saw an airliner turn off its transponder, that should have been their first clue something was wrong.
Then, they would have seen the "silent" aircraft deviate from standard flight paths.
Finally, intentionally or not, the aircraft flew below radar level and truly disappeared from airspace (And it took them a few days to give conflicting statements about what happened.)

In none of that time did they bother to scramble a jet to investigate.

Pandemic

This was spotted on Crowdsearch,
Tomnod6060200percentMikeSeberger-3189824_p9.jpg

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-1103537

Looks like a ship.

Charcoal

So I was talking with my ATC buddy today and it's really amazing as to what exactly they can and can't see while a planes in the air. Hopefully we find something soon.

Assuming the crew turned off the transponder, why would they even be able to do that? Is there a situation where a commercial jet would need to disable that?

Looks like a plane to me you can easily see that the rear has bent back to the front. Wing shape to the right is also identifiable in the picture.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Looks like a plane to me you can easily see that the rear has bent back to the front. Wing shape to the right is also identifiable in the picture.
A 777-200 is just over 200 feet long. Going by that scale, if the thing at the left was the back, that object would be over 250 feet or more. It's not a plane, and the back wouldn't 'bend' around, anyway.

trinest

Really looks like a big boat with a little baby boat chilling out along its side.

That gif just confuses people.

I like the current theory that the plane experienced a failure, decided to turn west to do an approach got stuck and just ended up flying wherever. Seems to make sense with the information which is appearing.

Dishwalla

Banned
That gif implies that if it was the plane then the body of it is fairly intact, minus the wings and tail. I thought it was established that if the plane had hit the water it would've either been shredded to pieces or disintegrated altogether.

Daria

Yes! This is one of the only theories that actually make sense, I can't believe nobody saw this yet or is just skipping past this. This is huge.

SUMMARY: We propose to adopt a new airworthiness directive (AD) for certain The Boeing Company Model 777 airplanes. This proposed AD was prompted by a report of cracking in the fuselage skin underneath the satellite Communication (SATCOM) antenna adapter. This proposed AD would require repetitive inspections of the visible fuselage skin and doubler if installed, for cracking, corrosion, and any indication of contact of a certain fastener to a bonding jumper, and repair if necessary. We are proposing this AD to detect and correct cracking and corrosion in the fuselage skin, which could lead to rapid decompression and loss of structural integrity of the airplane.

This was approved under a month ago which should have gave them enough time to check and recheck but it's possible nobody knew this plane could be affected. This goes back to an earlier statement I made about the integrity of the 777 or any plane for that matter:

It doesn't always have to be a major problem at first, these things can happen with a single smaller issue that is not detected or not fixed right away. Just like the incident in 2002 where the issue was from an earlier faulty repair and caused metal fatigue which wasn't found for years. That one small issue led to a catastrophic event. Not saying that metal fatigue is the issue here but something very small can cause a major issue in the end.

An issue like this which can go unnoticed for weeks, months but can lead to issues like the one posted in the summary, rapid decompression. Similar to the report from the Navy Airbase which claimed to have had a SOS from MH370 about cabin disintegration. A lost of communication is still not known why or how it was cut but for some reason it was. For a major issue for this to occur it would only take seconds (maybe a minute or just over) for the pilot to wonder what's going on, think about putting an oxygen mask on and then the plane is ripping apart. This scenario is the one of the only true logical explanations of what might have happened.

This is also huge due to all of the other model 777's that flying around with this same exact issue. If and when they find the missing 777 and come to the conclusion that this is the cause of the accident, all of those plane will be grounded for inspection. Until then, nobody knows just how many affected planes are out there right now flying with passengers.

Charcoal

That gif implies that if it was the plane then the body of it is fairly intact, minus the wings and tail. I thought it was established that if the plane had hit the water it would've either been shredded to pieces or disintegrated altogether.
That's assuming the plane lost control and just dropped into the ocean. From what we're hearing now, it sounds like the pilots had control after they disappeared. Who knows, maybe they were able to land it in the water without completely shredding it.

HoosTrax

Yes! This is one of the only theories that actually make sense, I can't believe nobody saw this yet or is just skipping past this. This is huge.

This was approved under a month ago which should have gave them enough time to check and recheck but it's possible nobody knew this plane could be affected. This goes back to an earlier statement I made about the integrity of the 777 or any plane for that matter:

An issue like this which can go unnoticed for weeks, months but can lead to issues like the one posted in the summary, rapid decompression. Similar to the report from the Navy Airbase which claimed to have had a SOS from MH370 about cabin disintegration. A lost of communication is still not known why or how it was cut but for some reason it was. For a major issue for this to occur it would only take seconds (maybe a minute or just over) for the pilot to wonder what's going on, think about putting an oxygen mask on and then the plane is ripping apart. This scenario is the one of the only true logical explanations of what might have happened.

This is also huge due to all of the other model 777's that flying around with this same exact issue. If and when they find the missing 777 and come to the conclusion that this is the cause of the accident, all of those plane will be grounded for inspection. Until then, nobody knows just how many affected planes are out there right now flying with passengers.
Maybe. But far from guaranteed to cause loss of communication or even a serious issue getting back to the ground safely.

BunnyBear

I must say, this is the most fascinating news event I can remember in years. It gets weirder every day.

I've always assumed eventually we'd basically be under constant satellite video surveillance. Perhaps the technology isn't there yet, but events like this will be catalysts for change. So in saying that, it seems odd that nothing at all has been picked up.

Daria

Maybe. But far from guaranteed to cause loss of communication or even a serious issue getting back to the ground safely.

Loss of communication is a whole different argument because I don't think this issue would cause that. And decompression or disintegration wouldn't cause a serious issue? Yes it would.

Aloha_Airlines_Flight_243_fuselage.png

HoosTrax

Loss of communication is a whole different argument because I don't think this issue would cause that. And decompression or disintegration wouldn't cause a serious issue? Yes it would.

Got that baby down on the ground didn't they :)? I'm just saying that it's quite possible to land one safely after a decompression (that poor flight attendant though...).

ugh that is so scary

I must say, this is the most fascinating news event I can remember in years. It gets weirder every day.
the recent Boston bombing stuff was pretty crazy too

lexi

Banned

Well, this is scary. It's the most plausible thing I've yet read, how long until this is picked up on?

The Boston bombing will always be by far the most surreal, fascinating news story to me. Don't think that can be topped.

This is up there though to be next in line. I'm glued to the news on it.

lemmykoopa

Surely if the pilots where so disoriented by the lack of oxygen that they couldn't put their oxygen masks on then how would they be able to successfully change course and lower altitude?

KHarvey16

The gradual decompression theory is pretty interesting. This would all have had to happen in such a way that the weakened portion around the SATCOM array failed catastrophically before a cabin pressure warning triggered a message over ACARS, unless it wasn't set to broadcast such a warning.

Ty4on

That plane had very serious metal fatigue. This plane is 7 years younger (12 vs 19). It isn't impossible, but metal fatigue is taken very seriously and decompression doesn't mean disintegration which could explain why it kept flying.

Darren870

Reminds me of the posts here on GAF relating the Boston Bombing and Sunil Tripathi

I didn't follow the GAF thread at the time, but what always bothers me with things like this is everyone has to be a critic or try and help. However, they only get in the way and cause more damage then good.

I think for the Boston Bombings the internet said it must be 1 of these 4 people based on backpacks and such and went on a manhunt to find them. Turns out it was none of them. Who knows what damage was caused to the personal lives of those people.

While, this is a bit different I'm sure the families impacted don't want internet detectives trying to solve a problem that should clearly be left to the proper authorities.

For all we know it could have been snakes....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom