• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimrpg

From what I understand, China and Vietnam have been working fairly hard to find the missing aircraft. Vietnam has been searching pretty hard along its coasts and China has deployed 10 satellites to look over the area. I think Malaysia isn't cooperating very well with other countries though since noone seems to know where to look for the missing aircraft with Vietnam even getting fed up and quitting S&R efforts until they get better information.

I think its time other countries send more planes and helicopters to find it. I know it costs money but take it out of the international donations that a lot of countries like Australia give.

linsivvi

I think its time other countries send more planes and helicopters to find it. I know it costs money but take it out of the international donations that a lot of countries like Australia give.

I doubt it's about the money. It happened within the Malaysian borders so they are (rightly) calling the shots. Hopefully with all the international pressure the Malaysian government can get their shit together.

Falk

that puzzling face
As I posted earlier in the thread:

Previously: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVoFbYlVzE0

http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/ca...-result-with-fish-trap-hook-bamboo-binocular/

“We use fish trap hook and a bamboo binocular to look and ask for the victims to be found as soon as possible,” he told reporters here today.

He was also seen to have performed a prayer at the KLIA entrance.

“During my prayer, my eyes hurt and my vision turned black. I think the plane is still in the air or has crashed into the sea.

“I will come back here (to KLIA) in another two days after performing my prayers and I will bring something,” he said.

Today he returns with coconuts, a basket and a rug. I guess he really did "bring something".

Seems most of the news coverage in the media have been from the Malaysian angle... is there a Chinese angle in all of this? Are they doing much to help with the investigation? Would be good to know if they had any leads on whats happened.

the Chinese are looking for answers and the Malaysian are supposed to be providing them. it happened with their airline and in their airspace so it's on them to coordinate and carry out the search.

multiple counties are involved though, Chinese warships and coast guard have been sent to help with the search.

Fjolle

the Chinese are looking for answers and the Malaysian are supposed to be providing them. it happened with their airline and in their airspace so it's on them to coordinate and carry out the search.

multiple counties are involved though, Chinese warships and coast guard have been sent to help with the search.

More gold from the telegraph liveblog:

"Today's press conference is now over 2 hours late and there is still no sign of minister of transport and head of civil aviation. In the absence of any Malaysian officials, Huang Huikang, the Chinese ambassador, began giving an interview of his own at the front. He was briefly swamped by journos until a Malaysian government official pointed out that the conference was for interviewing Malaysian officials only."

Chittagong

Gold Member
I think at this point they should follow Vietnam's lead and discontinue the large scale search. There are too many conflicting reports putting the plane into entirely different directions. The sea is too big for a crap shoot, if the military radars of the various surrounding countries fail to have recorded anything and the massive search of the initial disappearance location came out with nothing.

At this point its starting to look like they will never find the flight data recorder or the plane.. what a massive fuck up by the Malaysians

PK_man

Banned
i wont be surprised if the chinese and vietnamese find it before the malaysian does. It looks more and more like the malaysian government have no idea where to look and is just playing "where's waldo?"

Falk

that puzzling face
So far he's not been answering questions directly other than "our main focus is finding the aircraft"

Question regarding military radar, about the statement that the aircraft may have taken a turn, about transparency, all dodged.

We do know that he feels for the families though, so there's that!

edit: Have to take that back, more information about the radar (although they do state "possibility" so it's kinda... inconclusive still :|)

wapplew

So far he's not been answering questions directly other than "our main focus is finding the aircraft"

Question regarding military radar, about the statement that the aircraft may have taken a turn, about transparency, all dodged.

We do know that he feels for the families though, so there's that!

edit: Have to take that back, more information about the radar (although they do state "possibility" so it's kinda... inconclusive still :|)

They do more defending than giving out information.

SmokeMaxX

Well it kinda makes sense what they're saying in regards to where the plane was last spotted. They can't confirm at this point if the plane was last spotted going NW due to primary radar not communicating with the plane itself. So the plane spotted going NW might have been the missing plane or might not have been.

Falk

that puzzling face
Military guy just said they plan to release the raw radar data.

I'm hoping it's not another slip of the tongue that they'll go back on

Sarquiss_

I am starting to feel as if the Govenment has no clue where to look so they are throwing anything/everythig out there that they can think of which is not helping at all. All it is doing is making it nearly impossible to tell what is legitmate information.

All of this confusion or in the words of the minister "precieved confusion" is making this entire nightmare even worse for the families of the missing passengers.

raindoc

Well it kinda makes sense what they're saying in regards to where the plane was last spotted. They can't confirm at this point if the plane was last spotted going NW due to primary radar not communicating with the plane itself. So the plane spotted going NW might have been the missing plane or might not have been.

Yes.
And yet I can't stop thinking of THIS.

numble

Basically they backtracked on radar claims because they can't confirm what they saw on the radar was actually the plane in question and not some other plane. So they are searching everywhere.

Falk

that puzzling face
This one was important and answered in Malay so here's a translation:

It was a question about Vietnam stopping S&R

The answer was that it's not a breakdown of cooperation. They needed permission to search within Vietnamese territory themselves, and all it required was a diplomatic note which was handled yesterday.

Fjolle

The military guys' claims makes kind of sense (I think). E: Actually no. You shouldn't allow any airplane to just fly around in your airspace outside of their routes. I would have expected the air force to try to intercept the plane even if it's civilian.

But I wonder if their radar range is 200 miles, and it has just gone out of range. Obviously they need to ask other countries if they have picked up something on their radars. I hope they have done that already.

Sarquiss_

I know this has been stated a million times before, but it is scary how a large plane can just disappear without a trace.

I hope that this incident sees someone develop a better mechanism to track planes etc. It is obvious that the current system has a major flaw.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
I know this has been started a million times before, but it is scary how a large plane can just disappear without a trace.

I hope that this incident sees someone develop a better mechanism to track planes etc. It is obvious that the current system has a major flaw.

A goddamn modern ass plane at that

Andeeeh

Constant tracking would cost a lot more money I imagine, therefore not practiced.

Airliners would rather spend millions of dollars into luxury then safety because it sells.
I would rather real time streaming of the black box, encrypted of course then a larger screen withy angry birds in it.

Fjolle

I know this has been started a million times before, but it is scary how a large plane can just disappear without a trace.

As I understand it you have to be able to turn everything off in an aircraft. I can't really see how you would work around that and still get tracking.

If the Malaysian air force had control of their airspace they would have sent out jets when they noticed an aircraft outside of its route AND with the transponder off.

Sarquiss_

Good point but I was more referring to having something better than Radar. I do not claim to have any knowledge in this area so I have no idea if there is a better way to keep a track of planes and boats etc but some smart people out there must have some idea. We have made major advances in technology so it is mind boggling to see something like this to happen in this day and age.

I have flown a number of times throughout my life and the possibility of completely disappearing without a trace has never crossed my mind so this entire situation is plain scary......

I just hope that it doesn't take years to locate something which will let us know the fate of the plane. I would hate to think of the suffering the families would be forced to endure.

my dad keeps saying that it has to be aliens!!!! :-|

Log4Girlz

Probably already posted but

interesting wired article about how such a plane could be so difficult to find. I mean, its already been discussed but its nice to see it in one place

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2014/03/malaysia-air/

"“If something catastrophic happened, that’s seven miles up,” Joseph said. “Winds at that altitude are sometimes over 100 knots. Based on that wind, small pieces are going to be moved a lot of different places.”

Any aerodynamic pieces–wing sections, say, or pieces of the tail–will be blown around like a bag in the wind. Heavier pieces like an engine or landing gear will fall straight down. Fuel and other fluids will be scattered, leaving little evidence below. This is what happened when the space shuttle Columbia disintegrated during reentry on February 1, 2003. The difference there was the disaster occurred over land. Spotting debris on open ocean is much, much harder.

“It’s very very difficult to spot things in the water unless you’re on top of it,” Joseph said."

Wow...that's embarrassing.

5i5vrr9id6.png

5che0j6xyq.png
Is the black guy the mysterious Balotelli? And I don't think he was on there

Jimrpg

Ice burn from the NBC guy.

There was another one where the reporter asked about the integrity of the plane and whether it passed all the tests. The CEO of MAS said yes it passed all the tests, but the reporter kept insisting have you checked it personally. And then he said I have to go check the records again.

Surely as CEO you would have checked if there was anything wrong with the plane - once it went missing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom