• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the plane/remnants are never found, and this story gets linked in "Creepy Wikipedia Entry" threads for decades to come.

ramuh

The ocean is very, very large and very, very deep, and a commercial aircraft is comparatively very, very small. Finding pieces of the aircraft would not be easy, worsened in difficulty by pinpointing the exact crash location without having a concrete trajectory, and unreliable movement of the fragments (sinking depth, current spread, damage, etc).

I still feel that information may exist, or is being collated and analysed, by the military, investigators, and airline that isn't being made public for sensitivity issues. If indeed they are unsure of what took the plane down they'd have to be logically considering all options, such as a hijacking or structural issues. And in both of these cases there would be parties involved that would want to keep details, if just speculation, private for as long as possible.

But as far as the public is concerned the whole situation is a mess. A big empty mess.

The other problem is there no international lead on this. Usually all information gathered goes through the designation International team ( I believe) and all information released, analyzed, etc is done by this one team. Basically they have all jurisdiction for everything. I don't think that has happened in this yet.

luoapp

So the theory now is the plane crashed / landed near the west of my country (Philippines), then it should have been spotted by now since that's near the hotly contested Spratly / Paracel / Whatever its called in China Islands. That area is also a major shipping route so there should be witnesses if that was the location.

I think the oil rig guy's theory/observation is more sensible than the 90 degree turn Malaysia mil is currently working on. 90 degree turn to the Malacca Strait means it flew over the whole Thailand, and so far I haven't heard anything from them. I know they are in a political mess right now, but still.

The oil rig guy theory is more believable to me, but it also means the plane kept flying for more than an hour after lost communication, and who knows how long it kept that way. The oil rig is at the edge of the continental shelf, so very soon the plane would end up in the deep sea.

The ocean is very, very large and very, very deep, and a commercial aircraft is comparatively very, very small. Finding pieces of the aircraft would not be easy, worsened in difficulty by pinpointing the exact crash location without having a concrete trajectory, and unreliable movement of the fragments (sinking depth, current spread, damage, etc).

The US military has sent planes that have special equipment for searching for debris floating in water. I don't know how good it is but hopefully it will help.

I can't see the plane sinking and leaving NO surface debris. Even if it sank to the bottom, I'd think the pressure would break it up and release some stuff that floats . . . especially a modern lightweight plane like this.

The oil rig guy theory is more believable to me, but it also means the plane kept flying for more than an hour after lost communication, and who knows how long it kept that way. The oil rig is at the edge of the continental shelf, so very soon the plane would end up in the deep sea.
I believe China has boats in there somewhere since that is near the nine dash line area being claimed by China and contested by various ASEAN countries (including PH). And no way would Thailand would keep its mouth shut if an unknown plane passed through their airspace and not identify itself. That would be ridiculous.

Daria

It's the Malaysian government, guys. Incompetence is the norm, not the exception.

This is more than just some sloppy reporting by the government at this point. Losing communication increased the difficulty of this search by tenfold from the beginning.

ElyrionX

But there are 10 countries that have send planes, helicopters, and boats to search.

And it's up to the Malaysian authorities to coordinate them. This isn't even what I'm talking about anyway. I'm talking about how the officials keep coming up with contradicting statements. The whole flying over the Straits of Malacca thing is just ridiculous.

Big-E

So now the plane didn't go West at all and that whole searching the west side was a bunch of horseshit? WTF is the media doing publishing this shit. Looking like oil rig guy is right. Incompetence all around.

Falk

that puzzling face
I hate to play devil's advocate but you can't be sure the oil rig guy was right either.

Just because A is wrong doesn't make B right. (Or in this case, just because A and B are contradicting each other doesn't make C right)

Big-E

I hate to play devil's advocate but you can't be sure the oil rig guy was right either.

Just because A is wrong doesn't make B right. (Or in this case, just because A and B are contradicting each other doesn't make C right)

I know I am just annoyed with the media running with a story as basically true when it wasn't. Oil rig guy may have been high on fumes but I kind of believe that story more than the plane turning around across Malaysia.

And it's up to the Malaysian authorities to coordinate them. This isn't even what I'm talking about anyway. I'm talking about how the officials keep coming up with contradicting statements. The whole flying over the Straits of Malacca thing is just ridiculous.

It is pretty damn bizzare, even by their poor ass standards.

What's Singapore doing about this by the way?

luoapp

It is pretty damn bizzare, even by their poor ass standards.

What's Singapore doing about this by the way?

From Wikipedia, Singapore: three Lockheed C-130 Hercules;[49][50] Republic of Singapore Navy Formidable-class frigate RSS Steadfast, with a Sikorsky S-70B Naval helicopter on board; and a submarine rescue ship (MV Swift Rescue) with divers on board; as well as the Victory-class corvette RSS Vigour.[51]

Finaika

What happens if one of those attractive ladies turned out to have malicious motives and you just gave them access to the cockpit?

Fry_Looking_Squint.jpg

scrapple

Neo Member

BunnyBear

I'm sorry, he has a point, even if the example is a little silly. Some rules aren't meant to be broken.

I can remember lots of times as a kid being ushered into the cockpit to hang out with the pilots for a few minutes. That was pre-9/11 though, does that happen anymore?

luoapp

So this guy just happened to look out and see an airplane on fire, despite being in a location much further along the flight route than when the transponder first got turned off and he happened to witness the moment the flames went out. Right.

Actually the only piece of essential info missing in his email is the time, everything else sounds reasonable, at least more so than the Malacca Strait theory.

CryptiK

So this guy just happened to look out and see an airplane on fire, despite being in a location much further along the flight route than when the transponder first got turned off and he happened to witness the moment the flames went out. Right.
Well the plane lost contact who knows where it went this could be it. Don't see how thats so hard to believe. They have been asking fishermen if they'd seen anything dont see how an oil rig is any different.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Well, there is a Mike McKay on LinkedIn listed as working in Oil&Gas for Halliburton in Indonesia/Thailand - I see no reason why (if this is a real email) he'd just make this up, and to discount it is pretty short sighted. But yeah, another unsubstantiated claim to add to the pile really - such a crazy situation.

Well, there is a Mike McKay on LinkedIn listed as working in Oil&Gas for Halliburton in Indonesia/Thailand - I see no reason why (if this is a real email) he'd just make this up, and to discount it is pretty short sighted. But yeah, another unsubstantiated claim to add to the pile really - such a crazy situation.
It's a bit odd that his passport number is available for the internet to see.

It's a bit odd that his passport number is available for the internet to see.

My guess is he didn't expect the email to be posted on the internet...probably put his number in there for authorities to know if he was legit...and not a hoax...I still think the oil rig is the best lead so far...

There is a whole lot of detail in that oil rig guys email...it doesn't seem to me like it's a hoax...it might not be the flight...but it's definitely worth checking out...

Pandemic

"All right, good night" were the last-heard words from the missing Malaysian Airlines (MAS) flight MH370 - which were revealed for the first time at a meeting in Beijing on Wednesday morning between the Malaysian government and Chinese relatives.
Source

Guess it wasn't anything suspicious.

Have they actually confirmed it's false or are we still talking about the one person who said it did and then another person calling them a liar?

They issued a statement saying it's false. They said it's possible it turned around, but they never said that it actually did...

Looks like they are taking the oil rigger seriously...on BBC news just now:http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26527390

"Meanwhile, Vietnam said it was scaling back some of its search activities, but had deployed aircraft to investigate a possible sighting of the plane.

Doan Huu Gia, deputy general director of Vietnam's air traffic management, said: "We received an email from a New Zealander who works on one of the oil rigs off Vung Tau.

"He said he spotted a burning at that location, some 300 km (200 miles) southeast of Vung Tau.""

SmokeMaxX

This could be something...

http://www.nst.com.my/latest/font-c...-as-fishermen-find-life-raft-near-pd-1.509222

PORT DICKSON: A group of fishermen found a life raft bearing the word “Boarding” 10 nautical miles from Port Dickson town at 12pm yesterday.
One of the fishermen, Azman Mohamad, 40, said they found the badly damaged raft floating and immediately notified the Kuala Linggi Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency (MMEA) in Malacca for assistance to lift the raft as it was very heavy.
"We managed to tie it to our boat as we feared it would sink due to the damages," he said.
When the MMEA boat arrived, the fishermen then handed over the raft into their custody.
However, a Kuala Linggi MMEA spokesman said the raft sunk into the sea while they were trying to bring the raft onboard.
image.jpg

The time lapse between "nothing" and "something" is 49 minutes, and this is in the tropics over water. Clouds can form, build and dissipate quickly, especially in this part of the world.

Yeah probably a coincidence...but the oil rig thing seems to be the best lead so far...who knows though...whole thing is bizarre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom