• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something tells me that a local fisherman or cargo ship will find some floating debri and not the Malaysian government. The level of incompetence I have seen the last couple of days is staggering to say the least.

PorllM

Banned
This was normal in the 80s and 90s. If you were a kid in Australia, it was standard practice get to visit the cockpit in the middle of a flight. You'd even get your own set of wings to pin to your shirt
I still have mine

Yeah I was in the cockpit during a flight to Majorca in the year 2000, I'm pretty sure this was only stopped after 9/11

This is such a bizzare viewpoint.

What happens if one of those attractive ladies turned out to have malicious motives and you just gave them access to the cockpit?

:/
So just to reply to this, like many people are saying, I was also invited to the cockpit as a kid. I also remember my dad getting to sit at the 'jump seat' for an entire 12hr flight (from Malaysia, as it happens) because they mucked up his ticket and there were no seats available. It is these experiences that made me totally unfussed by the photos of the girl with the pilots in the cockpit. It seems totally normal to me. I haven't been on a plane for several years however.

Dryk

Airliners would rather spend millions of dollars into luxury then safety because it sells.
I would rather real time streaming of the black box, encrypted of course then a larger screen withy angry birds in it.
Real-time streaming isn't going to make a plane more safe, just easier to find.

Good point but I was more referring to having something better than Radar. I do not claim to have any knowledge in this area so I have no idea if there is a better way to keep a track of planes and boats etc but some smart people out there must have some idea. We have made major advances in technology so it is mind boggling to see something like this to happen in this day and age.
Broadcasting their GPS data via satellite is pretty much the only alternative. Radar's the best we've got as long-range detection and ranging is concerned.

Fjolle

Good point but I was more referring to having something better than Radar. I do not claim to have any knowledge in this area so I have no idea if there is a better way to keep a track of planes and boats etc but some smart people out there must have some idea. We have made major advances in technology so it is mind boggling to see something like this to happen in this day and age.

I have flown a number of times throughout my life and the possibility of completely disappearing without a trace has never crossed my mind so this entire situation is plain scary......

I just hope that it doesn't take years to locate something which will let us know the fate of the plane. I would hate to think of the suffering the families would be forced to endure.

my dad keeps saying that it has to be aliens!!!! :-|

The better way to keep track of planes and boars are ADS-B (For planes) and AIS (For boats). These are already in use today (and ADS-B will be required in the future) and are the way sites like flightradar and marinetraffic are getting their data. These technologies have a couple of limitations that makes it hard to have surveillance everywhere all the time..
1: They require "line of sight", which as the earth isn't flat for boats are ~20 miles and ~200 miles (i think) for planes. This can be fixed by satellite surveillance...

2: They can be turned off. This can't really be avoided, but should prompt an investigation and it doesn't make the vessels invisible to normal radar (Which btw. has evolved a lot and isn't just a green blob any more).

I think that if this had happened near a functioning air defense you would at least have a track of where the plane went and possibly an attempt at interception by fighter jets.

I'm starting to think that aliens is the best explanation available right now.

Pandemic

Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF) chief General Tan Sri Rodzali Daud said military radar records last spotted an unidentified civilian aircraft flying towards the Andaman sea some 200 kilometres north-west of Penang.

He said Air Force radar tracked the unidentified aircraft in that area and was last spotted at about 2:15am on Saturday when the MH370 flight was reported missing.

“We are still corroborating this with civilian radar to confirm whether that plot (that appeared on the military radar) belonged to the missing plane,” he told a press conference, to update the developments of the Search and Rescue (SAR) operations.

Source

I don't know who to believe anymore.

KHarvey16

Real time streaming diagnostics would be prohibitively expensive and in the end I don't think it gets us anything in a situation like this. ACARS can already be configured to send alerts to the ground when certain conditions are met and if that is damaged or turned off the same thing would be true of any persistent data connection.

SmokeMaxX

Source

I don't know who to believe anymore.

It's consistent with everything they've been saying. Basically they last had confirmed contact with the plane around 1:30. Around 2:40 they saw some plane on radar which is suspected to be the missing plane but cannot confirm at this time. There was some earlier confusion as to whether the 2:40 plane is actually the missing plane.

So I decided to start a rewatch of Lost right now, and there was one scene in the Ipilot episode where I almost had to stop. They go searching for the cockpit, find it and the pilot is still alive. He tells them about what happened before the crash. "Communication went out. They couldn't see us. I turned back towards Fiji. We were a thousand miles off course. They're looking for us in the wrong place."

I kinda got goosebumps from how eerily similar it was to what's going on now. If I didn't know any better, I'd say this was just viral marketing for a new Lost spinoff.

Sadly it's not and real people are lost and almost certainly perished. Heartbreaking.

From the BBC:

As the plane reached the boundary between Malaysian and Vietnamese airspace, the Malaysian air control announced it was handing over to Ho Chi Minh City Control.

That's when contact was lost.

Does anyone know how long the transfer of control would normally take? I would have thought it was a matter of minutes?

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
1103_jonti_sp.ashx

873220-9a5f3456-a8f7-11e3-9a89-1de6a43f024e.jpg

Source

Interesting stuff.. For a not so experienced co-pilot, allowing people into the cockpit is well, pretty cocky.

My uncle was a pilot for the Yugoslav Airlines (whatever they were called) for 30 years. I remember me and my dad getting on a plane with him and him showing us around the cockpit. He flew all over the world for 30 years but retired from his service a few years before 9/11.

He said after 9/11 though nobody should be allowed in the cockpit which is pretty obvious. Weird for this pilot to just let people in like that.

We`re either looking at an incompetent pilot or terrorist attack IMO.

Jimrpg

My uncle was a pilot for the Yugoslav Airlines (whatever they were called) for 30 years. I remember me and my dad getting on a plane with him and him showing us around the cockpit. He flew all over the world for 30 years but retired from his service a few years before 9/11.

He said after 9/11 though nobody should be allowed in the cockpit which is pretty obvious. Weird for this pilot to just let people in like that.

We`re either looking at an incompetent pilot or terrorist attack IMO.

some people don't read all the rules, don't know all the rules or just don't consider the implications (until something serious happens). the guy that said that these ladies could have been terrorists is right.

ced

Just a random thought, but I can't help thinking what a frustrating wait it must be if this thing made a crash landing on a coast or jungle and your a survivor.

Mondy

Banned
Just a random thought, but I can't help thinking what a frustrating wait it must be if this thing made a crash landing on a coast or jungle and your a survivor.

I think you're being especially optimistic that any of those people are still alive, at this point. Their fate isn't the mystery here, it's the events that led up to it.

Jimrpg

fresh water would be the primary concern, if it doesn't rain then they've got a big problem.

Jimrpg

I think you're being especially optimistic that any of those people are still alive, at this point. Their fate isn't the mystery here, it's the events that led up to it.

I think we all know that.

However watching all the reports here in Malaysia, its all about hope and praying for MH370, whenever they interview someone (anyone), its all about bringing them back home.

ced

I think my point was that if you were ever in a crash landing and survived, you would expect to be rescued within a day.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Airliners would rather spend millions of dollars into luxury then safety because it sells.
I would rather real time streaming of the black box, encrypted of course then a larger screen withy angry birds in it.

"Safety"? Something like this would only matter when a plane has crashed.

xfactor99

Vietnam is deciding to resume full scale searches for the aircraft after all. Funny thing is it's doing so based off of news report and not anything the Malaysian government is telling them:
Vietnam resumed full scale air and sea searches for the missing Malaysia Airlines plane on Wednesday, after announcing in the morning that it was scaling back pending information from Malaysia about a new direction of the multi-nation hunt.

It could even ramp up the search on Thursday, Vietnamese navy deputy commander Le Minh Thanh said on Wednesday evening.

The flip flop was a result of reports that the plane was detected by Malaysian military radar over the Strait of Malacca, away from South China Sea waters off southern Vietnam being scoured by its ships and helicopters.

It caused Vietnamese deputy minister of transport Pham Quy Tieu to announce on Wednesday morning a temporary suspension of most search activities.

That evening though, Rear Admiral Thanh told reporters that the Vietnamese government still had not received any direct confirmation from Kuala Lumpur, but was resuming its search because of news that Malaysian authorities had denied reports about MH370's Malacca Strait course.

http://www.straitstimes.com/breakin...ing-malaysia-airlines-plane-after-temporary-s

Jimrpg

I think Malaysian authority has played a very very poor media game so far.

I think they should have just said we don't know where it is right from the beginning and drew a big circle with a radius of 6000 miles and said its here somewhere and get everybody to start looking.

They've been too quick to suggest leads, expecting to find something and failing to find anything each time. You can't blame them if they are being honest and trying and failing, but it makes it look like they are contradicting themselves whenever there is 'new' information.

THE:MILKMAN

I can't believe there is no trace after 5 days. Boggles the mind.

What I don't get is if the plane crashed into the sea and is lying on the sea bed (the most likely scenario) surely someone somewhere would have picked up the automatic signal from the black boxes?

If there are no signals, doesn't that indicate there may not have been a crash at sea?

Daria

I can't believe there is no trace after 5 days. Boggles the mind.

What I don't get is if the plane crashed into the sea and is lying on the sea bed (the most likely scenario) surely someone somewhere would have picked up the automatic signal from the black boxes?

If there are no signals, doesn't that indicate there may not have been a crash at sea?

They would have to be pretty close to the exact area to receive the signals from those. In that case they would probably find the plane with them.

Coins

Banned
You don't have to be close to hear a transponder underwater. Our subs would be able to detect it from quite far away.

Coins

Banned

Low frequencies can travel for a lot more than 15 miles. Your source says within 15 miles for "the search team". I'm doubting they are considering a US submarine to be part of the search team. As an ex Sonar technician (6 years in a sub) I assure you that a sub can find anything transmitting in the water.

No Love

Banned
Low frequencies can travel for a lot more than 15 miles. Your source says within 15 miles for "the search team". I'm doubting they are considering a US submarine to be part of the search team. As an ex Sonar technician (6 years in a sub) I assure you that a sub can find anything transmitting in the water.

That's pretty awesome. :eek:

ced

How do you just lose something that big.... I don't understand... With all this technology....fuck.

It's easy to lose, it's just mind blowing these things are not constantly broadcasting their location with redundant systems that cannot be turned off.

akaoni

Banned
This was normal in the 80s and 90s. If you were a kid in Australia, it was standard practice get to visit the cockpit in the middle of a flight. You'd even get your own set of wings to pin to your shirt
I still have mine

Mo, have you ever seen.... a grown man naked?

If the search team has to be within 15 miles, what kind of range could the subs search?

Are any military subs with this tech being used for the search?

Smokey

The Earth is gigantic and the oceans even moreso. We don't even know all the species of marine life in the ocean.

The ocean, especially the deep ocean, terrifies me. The underwater mountain ranges. Nightmare fuel species we do know about.

The area where the oil guy said he saw a burning plane.. Was that in a "deep ocean" area?

Daria

Ah, ok. Thanks for the clarification. So we're pretty certain there's subs out there looking for this thing? (of course they would never confirm that but seriously asking that)

luoapp

The ocean, especially the deep ocean, terrifies me. The underwater mountain ranges. Nightmare fuel species we do know about.

The area where the oil guy said he saw a burning plane.. Was that in a "deep ocean" area?

Very close, it's on the edge of the continental shelf, probably less than 100 miles from the deep ocean. If the wreckage ends up in the deep ocean, it will make things a lot more complicated.

apana

Something fishy is going on and please don't tell me that the ocean is big and there are a lot of scary monsters inside. Something is wrong here.

MIMIC

Banned
I was watching the news and CNN was talking about some of the well-known airline disasters, and I had NO FREAKING IDEA that a plane had ever been shot out of the sky. Korean Airlines Flight 007. It entered Soviet airspace and an air-to-air missile took it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom