• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeMaxX

I hope this helps the investigation. Could this mean the plane attempted a water boarding? Or is this just random debris?

The other messageboard I'm on that's covering this says that it's possible this could be a ship's liferaft or a plane's so they need verification first. That being said, SMH at them dropping the liferaft into the ocean "accidentally."

That raft picture is interesting. Aircraft life rafts kind of look like that and some say "boarding" on them like that.

No idea what a standard Boeing one looks like though.

Could even be from a ship.

How did they let it sink? WTF!

catmincer

There is a whole lot of detail in that oil rig guys email...it doesn't seem to me like it's a hoax...it might not be the flight...but it's definitely worth checking out...

As a Kiwi, I would say he's likely telling the truth. We're a small country and someone wouldn't make up stuff like this just for lols. People would mock the shit out of him. Whether it was a plane he saw though and not something else remains to be seen.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Wouldn't 50km be roughly 30 miles or so? Seems like a large area of fire.

Yeah, I'm no meteorologist or expert in smoke-plumes-appearing-on-weather-satellite-imagery, but I find the theory that this is a smoke plume caused by a burning airliner to be extremely dubious. The guy compares it to smoke from a forest fire, but I'd wager the forest fires he's thinking of are huge, covering many acres of land. I can't imagine that a burning airplane--regardless how large--could produce something like that.

SmokeMaxX

Yeah, I'm no meteorologist or expert in smoke-plumes-appearing-on-weather-satellite-imagery, but I find the theory that this is a smoke plume caused by a burning airliner to be extremely dubious. The guy compares it to smoke from a forest fire, but I'd wager the forest fires he's thinking of are huge, covering many acres of land. I can't imagine that a burning airplane--regardless how large--could produce something like that.

How much oil/fuel did the plane still have? That could possibly start a massive fire that would burn for a while even on water.

Could it be

The plane was hijacked and turned back to the capital, malaysia thought it was a suicide mission, had the plane shot down by its Air Force and now the government is covering its bases ?

aznpxdd

You gotta be shitting me. How the fuck do you have it in your hands...and let it sink? The single one piece of something they finally found in 4-5 days...

However, a Kuala Linggi MMEA spokesman said the raft sunk into the sea while they were trying to bring the raft onboard.

Qcnj96C.jpg
is this incompetence or intentional?

serious question

genbatzu

Austrian
boulevard
press ("Heute") is jumping the Cellphones-are-ringing-train, after they declared that the plain crashed in the ocean yesterday, without evidence, ofc.

Headline reads: Flight MH370: Why are the phones of passengers ringing?

NateDrake

Exactly. To give it more scale reference, the state of Rhode Island is 37 miles across. A smoke-plume of that size is pretty large. It would need a large fuel supply burning at a high intensity.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
How much oil/fuel did the plane still have? That could possibly start a massive fire that would burn for a while even on water.

I don't know. But even if there were a massive fire that produced so much smoke that it appeared on weather satellite imagery, the shape of the formation wouldn't make sense. Did the plane execute what appears to be a 180 degree turn while on fire? Did the wind direction shift to blow smoke south, then west, then back north? I don't find that plausible (though, again, I'm not an expert on the subject).

Based on my lay experience of watching clouds form on Doppler radar while living in Tornado Alley, my first thought is that it just looks like clouds forming.

Jimrpg

Looks like they are taking the oil rigger seriously...on BBC news just now:http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26527390

"Meanwhile, Vietnam said it was scaling back some of its search activities, but had deployed aircraft to investigate a possible sighting of the plane.

Doan Huu Gia, deputy general director of Vietnam's air traffic management, said: "We received an email from a New Zealander who works on one of the oil rigs off Vung Tau.

"He said he spotted a burning at that location, some 300 km (200 miles) southeast of Vung Tau.""

and they are only checking it today? thought the NZ guy tried to contact them on the first day?

and they are only checking it today? thought the NZ guy tried to contact them on the first day?

He probably did...but like any incident like this...I'm sure authorities get hundreds if not thousands of false reports of information that they have to sift through. This may be false as well...but it's the most legit thing I've heard since the search began.

Jimrpg

is this incompetence or intentional?

serious question

OT: I just started working in Malaysia for the past month... been working in Australia the last 8 years, and all i can say for the subcontractors that work with us (and not necessarily all Malaysian, but Bangladeshi, Indo, Filipino) that a lot of people just don't give a shit about their job. Get paid, go home. I've had problems with the roof contractor (twice), floor renderer, wall plastering, plumber u name it, call them back, they get embarrassed a bit, try to fix it, quality not right, fix again etc.

Anyways I'm not saying the rest of Malaysia is like this, but this is what I deal with at work. It's basically the same frustration.

PS - Malaysia is a nice country, just can get frustrating...

Jimrpg

He probably did...but like any incident like this...I'm sure authorities get hundreds if not thousands of false reports of information that they have to sift through. This may be false as well...but it's the most legit thing I've heard since the search began.

they left it really late. smh.

saunderez

The incompetence of this whole thing is just unbelievable - how do they let something like that sink!?!
My guess is whatever they had tied to on the raft (article said they tied it to the boat) tore through as they were trying to get it out. Remember this is a damaged life raft full of water, it would weigh a heap and would be dragging in the water. It would've sunk like a rock as soon as it lost its tether.

Fjolle

Seriously though. Port Dickson is way out of the way of where the plane should be, and way too close to Kuala Lumpur airport for the plane to could have crashed there without the flight controllers there noticing.

-KRS-

Regarding whether or not the plane turned, I thought the initial reports simply stated that the military radar systems "couldn't rule out the possibility" that it did make a turn. I remember thinking that that doesn't sound like a confirmation that it did at all.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
My guess is whatever they had tied to on the raft (article said they tied it to the boat) tore through as they were trying to get it out. Remember this is a damaged life raft full of water, it would weigh a heap and would be dragging in the water. It would've sunk like a rock as soon as it lost its tether.
Yeah, but didn't they find it floating? But see your point. Probably pretty huge too.

Jimrpg

it was floating fine until the authorities got there.....

Also Port Dickson is on the west coast of the malaysian peninsula, meaning it pretty much was trying to get back to KL if debris is found near there.

Where they say they found the raft is WAY south and near heavily populated areas...much closer to where they took off...that combined with people online saying it looks more like a maritime raft makes me think this is nothing...

Unless as someone said, they were trying to get back to KL...but that raises even more questions and concerns...I don't think this raft is anything...

Falk

that puzzling face
OT: I just started working in Malaysia for the past month... been working in Australia the last 8 years, and all i can say for the subcontractors that work with us (and not necessarily all Malaysian, but Bangladeshi, Indo, Filipino) that a lot of people just don't give a shit about their job. Get paid, go home. I've had problems with the roof contractor (twice), floor renderer, wall plastering, plumber u name it, call them back, they get embarrassed a bit, try to fix it, quality not right, fix again etc.

Anyways I'm not saying the rest of Malaysia is like this, but this is what I deal with at work. It's basically the same frustration.

PS - Malaysia is a nice country, just can get frustrating...

I don't mean to sound like an elitist, backstabbing prick, but having spent 26 years in the country and raging at everything from education to office conditions, to services/infrastructure, to politics, to the people themselves (who basically are all assholes and will double park or cut queues without any shred of guilt)
to WoW raiding
, I moved to Boston for education and holy shit after getting past the initial culture shock I totally understand what people mean now when they make comments like yours, and I feel I should apologize as a citizen.

And as much vitriol I appear to have towards my home country, this report filled me with amusement rather than disgust or malice

Malaysian newspaper The Star says it has received several phone calls from readers claiming they might have spotted the missing plane by using Google Maps.

The newspaper noted: "Pointing out various airplane images in Google Maps, which clearly shows images of an airplane, most members of the public believed that it was the lost airplane."

One person was convinced Flight MH370 had landed on the the Vietnamese island of C?u Ma Thiên Lãnh.

Another person reportedly claimed that the flight's location was close to the Kenyir Dam in Terengganu.

However, Google said in a statement: "Yes, the images may be there, but it is not real time satellite images as the images may have provided to us several weeks or months ago.

"These images which are captured would sometimes contain images of airplanes usually on its flight path and cannot be presumed as a possible crash site."

When you think about it, this means some people must have been spending an indeterminate number of hours poring over Google Maps.

Fjolle

Where they say they found the raft is WAY south and near heavily populated areas...much closer to where they took off...that combined with people online saying it looks more like a maritime raft makes me think this is nothing...

Unless as someone said, they were trying to get back to KL...but that raises even more questions and concerns...I don't think this raft is anything...

It is also one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world.

I'm getting a conspiracy theory vibe here with posters saying the Malaysian authorities "accidentally" lost the raft, or they are changing their answers, and I just have to ask... What the is the train of logic here? Why the hell would the Malaysian government want to hide this or cover up this plane crash? Some of you almost seem giddy at the chance to label what is most likely incompetence as a government cover-up. What is the motive?

wapplew

This search is all over the places, typical Malaysian authority.
Now that we are in the spotlight, I hope those incompetence and corruption get exposed.

Jimrpg

I don't mean to sound like an elitist, backstabbing prick, but having spent 26 years in the country and raging at everything from education to office conditions, to services/infrastructure, to politics, to the people themselves (who basically are all assholes and will double park or cut queues without any shred of guilt)
to WoW raiding
, I moved to Boston for education and holy shit after getting past the initial culture shock I totally understand what people mean now when they make comments like yours, and I feel I should apologize as a citizen.

And as much vitriol I appear to have towards my home country, this report filled me with amusement rather than disgust or malice

When you think about it, this means some people must have been spending an indeterminate number of hours poring over Google Maps.

I can't tell if you're agreeing with my comment or not. I was a bit harsh, and sounds like I'm condemning my new country as a whole. I'm not, or I don't want to at least. And not finding the missing flight has got nothing to do with my work (that's why I labelled it OT).

But I just wanted to point out, that the way Malaysia operates is really different to say the US or UK or Australia, and so even though this has been an international incident for the past week, the way the Malaysians carry out their work have all been conducted in the only way they know how, because they probably haven't been put in the international spotlight like this. So that's probably why I (from Australia) and others are shaking our heads at a lot of the things going on because we would have done it differently.

I'm getting a conspiracy theory vibe here with posters saying the Malaysian authorities "accidentally" lost the raft, or they are changing their answers, and I just have to ask... What the is the train of logic here? Why the hell would the Malaysian government want to hide this or cover up this plane crash? Some of you almost seem giddy at the chance to label what is most likely incompetence as a government cover-up. What is the motive?

To move international's prying eyes away from the case where the main opposition is jailed for sodomy
(again)

Jimrpg

Seems most of the news coverage in the media have been from the Malaysian angle... is there a Chinese angle in all of this? Are they doing much to help with the investigation? Would be good to know if they had any leads on whats happened.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Malaysia is making themselves look like some sort of a weird parody country

"We found evidence"

"Throw it over here! We'll catch it!

Whoops!"

SmokeMaxX

Seems most of the news coverage in the media have been from the Malaysian angle... is there a Chinese angle in all of this? Are they doing much to help with the investigation? Would be good to know if they had any leads on whats happened.
From what I understand, China and Vietnam have been working fairly hard to find the missing aircraft. Vietnam has been searching pretty hard along its coasts and China has deployed 10 satellites to look over the area. I think Malaysia isn't cooperating very well with other countries though since noone seems to know where to look for the missing aircraft with Vietnam even getting fed up and quitting S&R efforts until they get better information.

Jintor

as an expat, i wouldn't trust the malaysian government to find its collective way out of a paper bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom