• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
http://abcnews.go.com/International/us-officials-malaysia-airline-crashed-indian-ocean/story?id=22894802
"Two U.S. officials tell ABC News the U.S. believes that the shutdown of two communication systems happened separately on Malaysia Airlines Flight 370. One source said this indicates the plane did not come out of the sky because of a catastrophic failure. The data reporting system, they believe, was shut down at 1:07 a.m. The transponder -- which transmits location and altitude -- shut down at 1:21 a.m.” (if correct), combined with the very convenient fact that the transponder was turned off and comms ceased shortly after leaving Malaysian airspace and entering Vietnamese airspace, strongly suggests that this not only was intentional, but also very well planned."
Things that make you go Hmm

Daft_Cat

Found this comment on a website today. Kinda curious about his points:

Yupp, it's definitely a mystery. There's no cohesive explanation and some sort of maliciousness is definitely a real possibility (and I'm generally pretty resistant to "conspiracy" type shit).

Again, this is anecdotal, but my dad is a 777 pilot. He thinks the only truly strange thing about this is the fact that the transponders went off. Especially since the plane continued to fly afterwards. But then...that's not a new insight. That said, my gut feeling is that there's probably going to end up being some sort of mechanical explanation.

Hm. That's pretty incontrovertible.

Because there is nothing so far that indicates that it crashed.
It's also not realistic. Occam's Razor.

To go there, we have to engineer some sort of massive conspiracy complete with agents, players, motives, an agenda, the technological means and a way to so flawlessly execute their plan that an entire world has been confounded.

That plan landing is about as realistic as a space ship beaming the plane aboard with a tractor beam in hopes of finding Princess Leia on board.

Not to dismiss some of the oddities we're seeing here, but it's more likely those will be resolved soon.

sangreal

crozier

This is madness. If (big if) the plane was flown below radar and landed somewhere, chances are pretty good there's a state actor behind it...right? For everything to have been pulled off so perfectly...

sangreal

It's also not realistic. Occam's Razor.

To go there, we have to engineer some sort of massive conspiracy complete with agents, players, motives, an agenda, the technological means and a way to so flawlessly execute their plan that an entire world has been confounded.

That plan landing is about as realistic as a space ship beaming the plane aboard with a tractor beam in hopes of finding Princess Leia on board.

Not to dismiss some of the oddities we're seeing here, but it's more likely those will be resolved soon.

While I believe the plane crashed due to some mundane cause, I also think you're overstating how difficult it would be to disable communications and land it somewhere in that region considering nobody was looking for the plane for some time after contact was lost (which was at the hand-over point between Malaysia and Vietnam)

crozier

While I believe the plane crashed due to some mundane cause, I also think you're overstating how difficult it would be to disable communications and land it somewhere in that region considering nobody was looking for the plane for some time after contact was lost (which was at the hand-over point between Malaysia and Vietnam)
The hard part isn't disabling communications or hijacking a plane or even evading radar, the hard part is pulling all of this off without the rest of the planet having the slightest notion of what you did.

Bri

I haven't read too much about this, but to me it feels obvious.

The plan crashed into the ocean. Otherwise it should have been discovered by now, no?

The fact that the transponders just turned off at a point indicates that someone in the plane had other intentions with it. At least some trace of communication should have been found now otherwise?

Anyways, what a horrific way to die.

Linkhero1

The hard part isn't disabling communications or hijacking a plane or even evading radar, the hard part is pulling all of this off without the rest of the planet having the slightest notion of what you did.

If it flew over any land it would have been easily spotted by military radar or be anyone on the ground. Most likely scenario is that it crashed. Where? They're struggling on figuring that out.

Found this comment on a website today. Kinda curious about his points:

A slow decompression would be an interesting scenario. You would think that the pilots would see this on their instrument panel, but maybe there was an issue with that as well. I've been in a hypobaric pressure chamber before and I've experienced the feelings you get from hypoxia and it comes on very quickly. Think about being drunk, but it occurs in the matter of seconds.

Lines up with the previously reported news posted earlier about the plane being diverted:

One person tracking the probe told The Journal that U.S. counterterrorism officials are actively pursuing the notion that the plane was diverted "with the intention of using it later for another purpose."

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/update-on-missing-malaysia-flight-2014-3#ixzz2vtAa6lqA

I haven't read too much about this, but to me it feels obvious.

The plan crashed into the ocean.
I think when planes crash into the ocean without warning, they usually break apart and leave a lot of debris. If it was able to make a controlled-enough emergency landing for the plane not to break apart, you'd expect there to be plenty of time to send out distress messages during the descent, and there would be survivors after the landing, escape chutes deployed, etc.

Konka

Banned
If it flew over any land it would have been easily spotted by military radar or be anyone on the ground. Most likely scenario is that it crashed. Where? They're struggling on figuring that out.

So where is all the radar of it flying over Sumatra to get into the Indian Ocean?

kyoya

I have been wondering if there had even been an air marshal on the flight, but I find that doubtful now. Does anyone know if Air Marshall policies vary by country? If Malaysia and other Asian countries don't put Air Marshals on flights, they sure as hell need to now.

Konka

Banned
I thought it was confirmed to be false that it made any turns?

No, that's yesterdays news. The US has an indication that it went down in the Indian Ocean and is moving the search to there.

U.S. officials said earlier that they have an "indication" the missing Malaysia Airlines jetliner may have crashed in the Indian Ocean and is moving the USS Kidd to the area to begin searching.
It's not clear what the indication was, but senior administration officials told ABC News the missing Malaysian flight continued to "ping" a satellite on an hourly basis after it lost contact with radar. The Boeing 777 jetliners are equipped with what is called the Airplane Health Management system in which they ping a satellite every hour. The number of pings would indicate how long the plane stayed aloft

http://abcnews.go.com/International...irline-crashed-indian-ocean/story?id=22894802

sangreal

Why? Steve Fossett crashed his plane in the middle of the continental US and a year of investigations, crowd sourcing, search teams, etc. found nothing. People thought he just decided to leave his wife or something. It wasn't until some hiker found his ID in the woods that they found the crash site. While this is not a great analogy, as it was not a passenger jet, my point is that I think you're counting too much on the idea that countries keep an omnipresent view of everything in their airspace

Though, again, I think the plane just crashed. I just wouldn't find it that incredible if it didn't. Their last communication was saying good night to Malaysia ATC. They never established communication with Vietnam. That would be the perfect time to make the plane disappear

crozier

For what "other purpose" could a civilian airliner even be used, hypothetically?

To sneak a nuke into another country or something? I guess if you were to switch out that plane's transponder with another aircraft's transponder you could fool radar systems.

Linkhero1

No, that's yesterdays news. The US has an indication that it went down in the Indian Ocean and is moving the search to there.

Seems like they obviously know something we don't. It would be weird for them to search the area without some indication from their military intelligence.

Edit: Thanks for the article.

They claimed it was never confirmed, but didn't confirm it to be false either.

This is also true.

HoosTrax

How do you, post-9-11, hijack a plane with 200+ other people on board, without getting bumrushed. I don't think a weapon would be sufficient deterrent to keep the passengers in line (unless the possibility of a bomb was threatened).

Seems more feasible for one of the pilots to have done it. For what purpose, I don't know.

crozier

How do you, post-9-11, hijack a plane with 200+ other people on board, without getting bumrushed. I don't think a weapon would be sufficient deterrent to keep the passengers in line (unless the possibility of a bomb was threatened).

Seems more feasible for one of the pilots to have done it. For what purpose, I don't know.
I don't think you could. In order for a hijacking to be successful, they would first need to get through locked cockpit doors. You can't bank on those being open. Then there's the passengers...

One or both of the pilots would need to be in on it, IMO.

Konka

Banned

People in Malayisa/China don't have the same emotional experience regarding it that Americans do.

Phthisis

For what "other purpose" could a civilian airliner even be used, hypothetically?

To sneak a nuke into another country or something? I guess if you were to switch out that plane's transponder with another aircraft's transponder you could fool radar systems.

People, gear, weapons. You name it. You could refit the inside of it to carry large cargo. You could strip it and use it as a missile. You could dismantle it and sell the parts.

The communications systems going down right as the Malaysia-Vietnam hand-off occurred, plus the plane going missing on radar to me screams human act. The odds of all those things happening independently of one another at the exact right time seems about as feasible as the plane having been abducted by aliens (but of course, what do I know). Add to all that the US is basically like "okay, we're going to go look over here, proactively" after having taken a back seat to the search for 5 days is just too odd.

Vespene

I don't think you could. In order for a hijacking to be successful, they would first need to get through locked cockpit doors. You can't bank on those being open. Then there's the passengers...

Protocol isn't as strictly followed on those flights.

Whatever the case... this is some Tom Clancy / James Bond shit going on.

Ludovico

If it was 1AM local time, there may have been a significant number of passengers sleeping? Haven't been following the thread too closely, how long had the plane been in the air at that time?

Trouble

Banned
Vietnamese air force shot it down because it was unidentified aircraft not repsonding entering their airspace...

Vietnam has literally hundreds of commercial flights going in out and over their airspace every day. They wouldn't have been able to keep this secret, someone would have seen wreckage by now.

Daft_Cat

Vietnam has literally hundreds of commercial flights going in out and over their airspace every day. They wouldn't have been able to keep this secret, someone would have seen wreckage by now.

...and the engines wouldn't have kept pinging for several hours afterwards.

So weird.

Whether it was terrorism or mechanical/electrical failure, it seems like the stars had to have aligned just right either way, based on what we know.

Bri

Good point. I have no idea about security in planes so maybe hijacking isn't that easy.

I think when planes crash into the ocean without warning, they usually break apart and leave a lot of debris. If it was able to make a controlled-enough emergency landing for the plane not to break apart, you'd expect there to be plenty of time to send out distress messages during the descent, and there would be survivors after the landing, escape chutes deployed, etc.
Maybe the hijackers lost control over the plane? I have no clue. But maybe the idea of hijackers is a little farfetched.

THE:MILKMAN

If it was 1AM local time, there may have been a significant number of passengers sleeping? Haven't been following the thread too closely, how long had the plane been in the air at that time?

Only about 25 minutes? 00:41AM take off to 01:07AM first transponder shut-off I think.

Konka

Banned
Good point. I have no idea about security in planes so maybe hijacking isn't that easy.

Maybe the hijackers lost control over the plane? I have no clue. But maybe hijackers is a little farfetched.

I'd say inside job is more likely than hijacking. It's pretty convenient isn't it that the transponder and all communications went down just as they were transitioning from one ATC to another? Maybe somebody paid off the pilots.

To be honest I think hijacking is the 2nd best scenario.

At least there's a chance some of them are still alive because of it. But like Dreams said, Occams Razor.

So many crazy theories.

Read about the Helios crash. The attendant who managed to get to the controls and was powerless to prevent the crash... Man that is rough.

The media is dangling the prospect of foul play quite heavily at the moment. But it would be comic-book levels of crazy to pull off an aircraft heist. And no group has come forward.

It is entirely possible that some extremely black ops or spook work has happened here too.

The most likely event is simply a massive mechanical fault. But the longer this goes on, the less chance we have of finding out.

Daft_Cat

The most likely event is simply a massive mechanical fault. But the longer this goes on, the less chance we have of finding out.

I actually don't think that's the most likely scenario anymore. The fact that each transponder shut down independent of each other about 15 minutes minutes apart suggests that there was probably some manual intervention here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom