• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is going to sound really dumb and I apologize if its insensitive but if the plane crashed in the water couldn't people quickly open the door and start swimming out as its sinking into the ocean? I know there would be a nasty impact but surely some people belted in and in the right parts of the plane could have survived the impact?

Sure. Floating around the Indian on a fart pillow isn't exactly a more comforting thought than death though.

hongcha

This is going to sound really dumb and I apologize if its insensitive but if the plane crashed in the water couldn't people quickly open the door and start swimming out as its sinking into the ocean? I know there would be a nasty impact but surely some people belted in and in the right parts of the plane could have survived the impact?

Even if you survive, if you are in the middle of the ocean with no help or land in sight and you start swimming you will either drown or sharks will get you. Personally I would rather die in the impact than survive and get eaten by a shark.

Read this story:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/air-crash-victims-at-mercy-of-sharks-1317887.html

"They said it was possible survivors had escaped from the fuselage to life-rafts before being swept by eight-foot waves into the sea and to the mercy of the sharks."

Koomaster

Water is just as deadly as the ground when it comes to crashing into it. If the pilots could have safely landed it on the water it's one thing, but if it was falling out of the sky I doubt anyone survived. Also the plane would have been ripped to shreds so there wouldn't be a need to open the door even if anyone did survive.

gutshot

iC6VnvzR3Uv4.jpg

Holy shit at that cannibalism story.

Ty4on

This is what a slow and controlled (somewhat, hijackers wanted to take it down) water landing looks like. That was survivable, but if they had enough control for a landing like that they would likely have landed near or on land like that pilot did (who is still a pilot in service BTW).

andthebeatgoeson

Nope. You hit any surface at a few hundred miles per hour and your aorta continues its momentum until it rips from your left subclavian artery. Now with a large hole in the biggest blood pipe in your body and in your chest, you bleed out within a minute or two. It's quick. Never mind the head injuries. Or drownings. These images are not really survivable.

Jimrpg

A bit reluctant to post this due to it not being official and the metric fuckton of fake rumours floating about but my aunt's friend who works for Malaysia Airlines has told her it deffo was a hijacking.

This post from page18 is still valid.

I don't know how often that happens with huge jetliners but people have survived water landings before, at least in smaller craft. There was this crash in Hawaii which was insane. Only one person died (you don't see it in the video)

Communication satellites received intermittent data "pings" from a missing Malaysia Airlines jet, giving the plane's location, speed and altitude for at least five hours after it disappeared from civilian radar screens, people briefed on the investigation said Thursday.

The final satellite ping was sent from over water, at what one of these people called a "normal" cruising altitude. The people declined to say where specifically the transmission originated, adding that it was unclear why the transmissions stopped. One possibility one person cited was that the system sending them had been disabled by someone on board.

At one briefing, according to this person, officials were told that investigators are actively pursuing the notion that the plane was diverted "with the intention of using it later for another purpose."

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles...6580350.html?mod=WSJEurope_hpp_LEFTTopStories

This shit is crazy. If that is true...perhaps this is the reason why it happened to a 777-200ER (14,300 km range)....

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles...6580350.html?mod=WSJEurope_hpp_LEFTTopStories

This shit is crazy. If that is true...perhaps this is the reason why it happened to a 777-200ER (14,300 km range)....
This just baffles me. I feel like anyone with the capacity to steal, hide, and maintain a 777-ER wouldn't need to. That's Bond-villian-style shenanigans, right there.

Imagine: the aircraft could've dropped off of radar, changed course, turned off the transponders, and could have potentially changed course again before ending up wherever it is now.

KHarvey16

I don't know how often that happens with huge jetliners but people have survived water landings before, at least in smaller craft. There was this crash in Hawaii which was insane. Only one person died (you don't see it in the video)

I shake my head every time I hear the anchor describing that video. All of the passenger knew what was happening when that video picks up and it certainly wasn't spiraling! The guy recording that actually recorded the entire takeoff and turned the camera off right before the engine failed. He basically had all portions of the flight except the part most interesting to investigators.

I shake my head every time I hear the anchor describing that video. All of the passenger knew what was happening when that video picks up and it certainly wasn't spiraling! The guy recording that actually recorded the entire takeoff and turned the camera off right before the engine failed. He basically had all portions of the flight except the part most interesting to investigators.

Yeah, its a rather stupid narration (part and parcel for the morning shows) but its incredible video

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
How do you, post-9-11, hijack a plane with 200+ other people on board, without getting bumrushed. I don't think a weapon would be sufficient deterrent to keep the passengers in line (unless the possibility of a bomb was threatened).

Seems more feasible for one of the pilots to have done it. For what purpose, I don't know.

It wasn't a US flight, most people on the flight wouldn't have thought of 9/11 the way American's will. If there is one positive that came from 9/11, its that it will be decades before an American plane is hijacked again. The only really concern is a terrorist with an explosive. Even then, I think they would have to just blow it, I don't think they could hold the passengers hostage with it.

This just baffles me. I feel like anyone with the capacity to steal, hide, and maintain a 777-ER wouldn't need to. That's Bond-villian-style shenanigans, right there.

Imagine: the aircraft could've dropped off of radar, changed course, turned off the transponders, and could have potentially changed course again before ending up wherever it is now.

If it was "stolen" I really doubt it would be for later use for transportation.

It seems like an unlikely, Hollywood style scenario to begin with, but if that did happen, the most probable reason I'd imagine would be to refuel the jet to capacity (taking advantage of its extended range) and then at a later date, flying a low/elaborate route to avoid radars and then ultimately use it as a weapon somewhere.

Still though, that just seems too crazy to be real.

If it was "stolen" I really doubt it would be for later use for transportation.

It seems like an unlikely, Hollywood style scenario to begin with, but if that did happen, the most probable reason I'd imagine would be to refuel the jet to capacity (taking advantage of its extended range) and then at a later date, flying a low/elaborate route to avoid radars and then ultimately use it as a weapon somewhere.

Still though, that just seems too crazy to be real.

Indeed, and that's exactly my point - one does not merely pull over a 777 and fill 'er up, you know? If you have a secret airfield somewhere, why would you need to steal an aircraft?

I suppose if you're going to be a super villain, you might as well turn the crazy up to 11...

neptunes

I'd hazard a guess at the last time them being used was at KLIA.

You mean not one single passenger used their phone(checked email, roaming etc...) while in flight?

EDIT: This site reports that family members of passengers have called their phones only to be met by a ringing tone. (LINK)
Can't vouch for the validity of that website.

You mean not one single passenger used their phone(checked email, roaming etc...) while in flight?

EDIT: This site reports that family members of passengers have called their phones only to be met by a ringing tone. (LINK)

This has been explained though...doesn't mean a thing...meeting a ring tone doesn't mean it's actually connected to the phone...

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

Phone rings don't mean a phone is on. Phones also ring during the time the network is trying to detect where the phone is.

Indeed, and that's exactly my point - one does not merely pull over a 777 and fill 'er up, you know? If you have a secret airfield somewhere, why would you need to steal an aircraft?

I suppose if you're going to be a super villain, you might as well turn the crazy up to 11...

Well - and again, this is a crazy theory - if this did happen, I'd imagine it would be on some abandoned, remote air field or air base in Vietnam or Burma etc. So an aircraft would still be needed, perhaps an aircraft like this in particular due to its extended range if the target is very distant from where they are operating from.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Well - and again, this is a crazy theory - if this did happen, I'd imagine it would be on some abandoned, remote air field or air base in Vietnam or Burma etc. So an aircraft would still be needed, perhaps an aircraft like this in particular due to its extended range if the targat is very distant from where they are operating from.
My father in law is a retired airline captain who used to fly the 777. He said that if someone tried to take it, they wouldn't need a huge airport to land it. Apparently it doesn't take as much room as you'd think to stop one.

numble

What is the Chinese Govt. doing with the passenger cell phone numbers?

Can't they triangulate last time used?
http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/03...-locate-cellphones-on-missing-malaysia-plane/

China’s biggest telecom operator, China Mobile, attempted to locate some of the passengers on the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 by testing whether their cellphones were connected to mobile networks but the carrier wasn’t able to locate any of them, a company executive said.

The tracking of passengers’ mobile phones began shortly after the Boeing 777 disappeared early Saturday en route to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur, the executive, who declined to be named, said Thursday. The telecom carrier, with more than 770 million subscribers, is the world’s largest wireless carrier by subscribers. According to a passenger list released by Malaysia Airlines, just over half of the 227 passengers on the flight were Chinese citizens.

The executive said China Mobile began the test at the request of family members of some of the passengers that used the carrier’s services as well as the Chinese government. He said none of the mobile phones were connected to a mobile network.

“There are certain limitations to our mobile networks. We won’t be able to track the mobile users if users switched off their phones or the plane is in the air above 10,000 meters or in the deep ocean,” said the executive.
IDC telecom analyst Yolanda Zhang said it is not possible for carriers to track mobile phones even if users are online using a Wi-Fi connection provided by the airline. They need to be on a carrier’s network to track location of users, she said. The Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 didn’t offer passengers a Wi-Fi connection.

KHarvey16

My father in law is a retired airline captain who used to fly the 777. He said that if someone tried to take it, they wouldn't need a huge airport to land it. Apparently it doesn't take as much room as you'd think to stop one.

If I remember correctly the 777 can land on less than a 3000 foot runway. Of course it'll depend on load and elevation and other factors but yeah, it's not necessarily a ton of runway.

aznpxdd

Right, I believe taking off again from said air strip is the problem.

If I remember correctly the 777 can land on less than a 3000 foot runway. Of course it'll depend on load and elevation and other factors but yeah, it's not necessarily a ton of runway.

My understanding is that you might be able to land it, but takeoff would be the problem.

FLEABttn

Banned
According to that site it's actually 8,563 ft (2,611 m). That's a lot of space needed to take off.

That's something closer to a maximum load though. For example, that 747 Dreamlifter "needs" 9199 feet at maximum load but that one that landed at the wrong airport last year took off somewhere around 5000 feet.

So if you unload your 777, less than 5000 feet doesn't seem unreasonable
but I'm not a scientist, hell if I know

Falk

that puzzling face
Not a problem at all.
poguespan.jpg

Um, doesn't lift come from Bernoulli effect on the wings, and not actually how fast the wheels are spinning? I honestly don't think that'd work. You'd be better off getting a giant fan in front of the aircraft.

edit: bait?

Linkhero1

Makes sense. I'm sure it can pull a takeoff with a smaller runway. I've never been more fascinated with aviation up until the past two years.

KHarvey16

Um, doesn't lift come from Bernoulli effect on the wings, and not actually how fast the wheels are spinning? I honestly don't think that'd work. You'd be better off getting a giant fan in front of the aircraft.

edit: bait?

The trick is the plane still moves forward since the engines push against the air. The wheels spin freely. This was a huge thing a while ago on the internet that melted down a few forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom