• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoosTrax

I don't know, maybe that Ethiopian Airlines...commandeering...incident (I hesitate to call that a "hijacking" when it's the co-pilot doing it) a few weeks ago set something off in one of the pilot's heads. Sort of like how mass shootings lead to more mass shootings because it plants that seed of an idea in someone's head; someone with a grievance just got an idea for an outlet.

Phthisis

If it WAS a human act, and it WASN'T the pilots, then whoever engineered this 1) knows a lot about aircraft systems and flight protocol (to be able to know the right time to disable transponder/comms) 2) knew enough about government capabilities and radar systems in the local area to avoid being detected, and 3) knew how to fly a commercial jet well enough to leave no trace of their plot.

Conceivably, they also could have gotten lucky, but again, that's a lot of potential bread crumbs to what happened that would have conveniently aligned.

Arcteryx

If it WAS a human act, and it WASN'T the pilots, then whoever engineered this 1) knows a lot about aircraft systems and flight protocol (to be able to know the right time to disable transponder/comms) 2) knew enough about government capabilities and radar systems in the local area to avoid being detected, and 3) knew how to fly a commercial jet well enough to leave no trace of their plot.

Conceivably, they also could have gotten lucky, but again, that's a lot of potential break crumbs to what happened that would have conveniently aligned.

Yep. It's weird either way.

If it was a highjacking, that's some EXTREMELY lucky timing(or they were in the cockpit) between Malaysian and Vietnamese ATC switch-over.

If it was an accident, that's some EXTREMELY lucky timing for both systems to go offline at that point very close together(electrical fire possibly).

Either way, that's some crazy timing.

Falk

that puzzling face
Man, I feel like every day is like a 24-hour cycle of all these claims being floated, of which we get official* confirmation/denial during the daily press conferences. At least Malaysia has gotten their shit together in terms of being aware of what media/other governments/etc are saying.

*Depending on if you believe they're being transparent, obviously

Daft_Cat

Yep. It's weird either way.

If it was a highjacking, that's some EXTREMELY lucky timing(or they were in the cockpit) between Malaysian and Vietnamese ATC switch-over.

If it was an accident, that's some EXTREMELY lucky timing for both systems to go offline at that point very close together(electrical fire possibly).

Either way, that's some crazy timing.

Based off this analysis (which I think is pretty sound), the most likely scenario is that one of the pilots took control of the plane and either crashed it or tried to do something else that no one's figured out.

crozier

Conceivably, they also could have gotten lucky, but again, that's a lot of potential break crumbs to what happened that would have conveniently aligned.
That's why *if* it was a hijacking a state actor is fairly plausible. But what could be the reasoning? The defense contractors on board? Turning a 777 into a weapon that could easily slip past another nation's radar defense? (assuming IFF transponder from another aircraft is installed...or the existing one is modified somehow). Moving weapons around?

HoosTrax

One potential problem I can see with the hijacking theory is that, assuming they did double back on their flight path, wouldn't they eventually have reached land again briefly (before reaching the Malacca Strait), and therefore be within cell phone reception range? (I don't know anything about Malaysia's cell infrastructure)

And if one of the pilots had commandeered the plane, he would have had to incapacitate the other pilot while both were in the cockpit. Otherwise, if he had locked him out instead, that again leads to a scenario where the frantic passengers would have been trying to make outgoing calls.

Again, this is assuming that either of these happened, instead of everyone being incapacitated due to decompression.

FStop7

Banned
Odds of Kim Jong Un showing up on TV with a freshly repainted 777 in the next year or two?

"Oh hey. No, it's not a 777. We developed it ourselves. Boeing stole the design from us."

CREMSteve

It's 1am and dark.

If the pilot/co-pilot turned the plane and flew somewhere with the transponder turned off, no one onboard would have a clue until they landed.

That said, I still believe it was a major mechanical failure and is at the bottom of the ocean.

Konka

Banned
It's 1am and dark.

If the pilot/co-pilot turned the plane and flew somewhere with the transponder turned off, no one onboard would have a clue until they landed.

That said, I still believe it was a major mechanical failure and is at the bottom of the ocean.

But what evidence is there that actually supports that anymore?

CREMSteve

But what evidence is there that actually supports that anymore?
It's a big ocean, we live in an age of impatience.

There's a lot of theories and misinformation out there, which have made this far more convoluted (and engaging) than it should have been.

But there's only one actual factual piece of evidence that no can deny. A 777 carrying 200+ people disappeared off the face of the planet, which simply doesn't happen.

I believe the simplest answer is the right one. Plane went down, over some body of water, either on purpose or via mechanical failure.

They'll find it, but it will take time.

Konka

Banned
It's a big ocean, we live in an age of impatience.

There's a lot of theories and misinformation out there, which have made this far more convoluted (and engaging) than it should have been.

But there's only one actual factual piece of evidence that no can deny. A 777 carrying 200+ people disappeared off the face of the planet, which simply doesn't happen.

I believe the simplest answer is the right one. Plane went down, over some body of water, either on purpose or via mechanical failure.

They'll find it, but it will take time.

I think it's in the ocean as well but I just don't see given the details about changing ATC's, the systems being shutdown at different times, continuing to ping the satellite, etc that massive mechanical failure still makes very much sense.

HoosTrax

Ugh, I need to take a break from reading airliners.net. Someone over there is obsessed with the theory that the Chinese government stole the 777 in order to reverse engineer it. My head hurts...

Fracas

#fuckonami
This whole thing has been absolute madness. Hopefully this was a hijacking and there aren't 239 people at the bottom of the ocean.

Konka

Banned
Ugh, I need to take a break from reading airliners.net. Someone over there is obsessed with the theory that the Chinese government stole the 777 in order to reverse engineer it. My head hurts...

Wat...The Chinese government owns Air China which has 777's in its fleet.

Daft_Cat

This whole thing has been absolute madness. Hopefully this was a hijacking and there aren't 239 people at the bottom of the ocean.

If it was a hijacking and the plane landed, I don't even want to think about the reasons why no one was able to use their cellphone once on the ground. Leads to some pretty dark possibilities. Then again, it suggests the plane probably didn't land in the first place.

HoosTrax

They could just, ya know, buy one.
Apparently this person is of the mind that it's much easier and less suspicious to hijack one full of 200 people, versus merely buying a few of them.

Usually airliners.net has some pretty good pilot insights and insider info, but sometimes the loons come out of the woodwork...

LQX

Ha, China likes to steal secrets and I have to admit I was also thinking that until it hit me that China must have competent air transportation system with many of them and that they also bought their own version of Air Force One.

KingFire

Banned
If it was a hijacking and the plane landed, I don't even want to think about the reasons why no one was able to use their cellphone once on the ground. Leads to some pretty dark possibilities.

True. And speaking of landing, you can't just land a 777 anywhere you want. you need a runway specially designed for that.

Also, it is really difficult to hide a freaking 777 after landing it; somebody must have known about it.

It is more likely that it crashed, but why did it crash? Nobody knows...for now.

Pandemic

“There is probably a significant likelihood” that Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 is on the bottom of the Indian Ocean, a senior U.S. official told CNN’s Barbara Starr Thursday, citing information Malaysia has shared with the United States. Analysts from U.S. intelligence, the Federal Aviation Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board have concluded that pings sent to a satellite hours after the plane’s last transponder signal likely came from the missing aircraft, the official said.
Source

True. And speaking of landing, you can't just land a 777 anywhere you want. you need a runway specially designed for that.

Also, it is really difficult to hide a freaking 777 after landing it; somebody must have known about it.

It is more likely that it crashed, but why did it crash? Nobody knows...for now.

did anyone ever find 2003 Boeing 727-223?

HoosTrax

Ha, China likes to steal secrets and I have to admit I was also thinking that until it hit me that China must have competent air transportation system with many of them and that they also bought their own version of Air Force One.
Why would they even steal that, instead of a A380 or 787. Stealing a 777 is like stealing a crummy 90s era Mustang when you could steal a Corvette Z06 instead.

Falk

that puzzling face
Malaysian authorities believe they have several “pings” from the airliner’s service data system, known as ACARS, transmitted to satellites in the four to five hours after the last transponder signal, suggesting the plane is believed to have flown to the Indian Ocean, a senior U.S. official told CNN

Waiting for today's press conference to deny this...

...YET AGAIN.

Just you watch.

FStop7

Banned
China could just buy a 777 if they want one. It would be a lot easier to do that through proxies or something than to steal a fully loaded airliner and trigger an international incident.

Mikey Jr.

I was watching CNN, and they said that there was some sort of device that would send out a call when it was essentially going to crash. But this device never went off.

Is this true?

Vesmir

Banned
did anyone ever find 2003 Boeing 727-223?

There's a difference between the two. In the quoted incident, the pilot likely turned off all communication and tracking controls, thus making it near impossible to pinpoint wherever it was headed. In this case, there was initial tracing. If comms were taken out without a crash, then someone (or mechanical error) had to have done it mid-flight.

Showaddy

If there's one place it's likely to be it's at the bottom of the Indian Ocean. They would have found something by now if it were anywhere else.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
At this point I expect the Malaysian officials to come out saying "There was no plane"

9204_comical_ali_jpg.jpeg

This is going to sound really dumb and I apologize if its insensitive but if the plane crashed in the water couldn't people quickly open the door and start swimming out as its sinking into the ocean? I know there would be a nasty impact but surely some people belted in and in the right parts of the plane could have survived the impact?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom