• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.
The whole world needs to be on high alert right now, that's my feeling. If this plane was stolen and taken up to high altitude to surprise neutralize the occupants, I can only imagine the end game is another 9/11 but with a nuke onboard. Time to recode every transponder on every passenger airplane and lock shit down tight. This thing could be parked underground in Pakistan for all we know.

let's not get ahead of ourselves here

CREMSteve

Man some of you are really coming to some wacky ass conclusions. How long has this plane been missing? Days. You really think this thing has just been flying around without anyone knowing where? I just feel bad for the people on this plane.

That is precisely what's happened here. No one's suggesting that it flew for 7 days though.

aeroslash

This isn't exactly correct. I was just agreeing that it takes a minimal amount of time to potentially disable. Far from saying all that was needed is that you hit a switch as you and the other bro describe.

WSJ: The first loss of the jet's transponder, which communicates the jet's position, speed and call sign to air traffic control radar, would require disabling a circuit breaker above and behind an overhead panel. Pilots rarely, if ever, need to access the circuit breakers, which are reserved for maintenance personnel.

more importantly, you and Icognito should take a moment to read this:

Expert Was Needed to Disable Malaysia Airlines Jet Systems
http://online.wsj.com/news/article_...4579439653701712312-lMyQjAxMTA0MDEwNDExNDQyWj

That's not true. At all. Transpoder set to off would do exactly the same from the ATC point of view as disabling the circuit breaker.

It wouldn't be unidentified with a transponder. I think only military radars even bother looking for planes without transponders, though..which is why it disappeared from the airport's radar but remained visible on military when transponder was shut off.

No. Atc would have a blip on their radars also. If there was a plane without a transponder in any controlled airspace, they would have detected it.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
That is big news about the pinging continuing well into the flight. I know the speculation is that the pinging stopped because of a crash, but is it possible that if they landed the plane, the pinging would stop if they turned off all power/engines?
Yes, pinging only happens so long as there is power to the engine. Land plane, turn off engine. Done.
You know how passenger cabins have on-screen maps of where the flight is going so that passengers could keep track? What if that was turned off with the pilot giving a bogus reason and passengers had no idea where they were headed? The passengers could have been oblivious of the trouble they were in for hours.
I think it would have been worse to have been a passenger and to see the on-screen map take you far away from destination and slowly realize what was happening.

crozier

No. Atc would have a blip on their radars also. If there was a plane without a transponder in any controlled airspace, they would have detected it.
Don't airports typically filter those blips out? My understanding is that airports typically *only* look at aircraft with transponders on.

Don't airports typically filter those blips out? My understanding is that airports typically *only* look at aircraft with transponders on.
Let's pretend they normally do (I don't know if they do), but I think enough of the world is on alert at this point that a blip wouldn't be ignored.

Cse

Banned
12:21 AM - Plane departs.

8:11 AM - Last known ping.

So, the plane was apparently responding at just under 8 hours after take off.

As mentioned elsewhere, for a 6 hour flight to Beijing, the plane was likely carrying ~8 hours worth of fuel.

This means that the plane was pinged just before it crashed landed, or after it had already successfully landed.

If they determined the relative location of the plane based off previous pings, why can't they deduce the location of the plane based on the ping at 8:11 AM?

Falk

that puzzling face
Okay, but look what has been posted. If this isn't the biggest tin foil hat gathering i must be taking crazy pills.

Where were you during Boston bombing?

(Yeah, I know, two bombs, as crazy as the whole week subsequently was, vs a sophisticated hijacking isn't comparable)

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
The whole world needs to be on high alert right now, that's my feeling. If this plane was stolen and taken up to high altitude to surprise neutralize the occupants, I can only imagine the end game is another 9/11 but with a nuke onboard. Time to recode every transponder on every passenger airplane and lock shit down tight. This thing could be parked underground in Pakistan for all we know.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/15/world/asia/malaysia-military-radar.html?_r=0
The investigators considered but dismissed the possibility that hijackers landed the plane somewhere for later use in a terrorist attack, according to a senior American official briefed on the investigation. The data, the official said, “leads them to believe that it either ran out of fuel or crashed right before it ran out of fuel.” It would take a long runway to land a plane of that size, the official said. Although the radius that the plane could have flown extends into South Asia, the official added, “the idea it could cross into Indian airspace and not get picked up made no sense.”

Okay, but look what has been posted. If this isn't the biggest tin foil hat gathering i must be taking crazy pills.
Some people thought a hijacking was tin foil too. At this point, people are just speculating---some of it is speculating for the worst, but why not? Best to be safe. Not that we need to speculate to make the world safe though. Any crazy idea that has been posted here I'm sure has been thought up by most governments already (including our own) and preparations made just in case.

CREMSteve

I get it, I really do. Conspiracy theories are perhaps my least-favourite thing on the internet.

But if someone DID steal this thing, it's not a huge stretch to speculate that it wasn't just to take a joyride in. Even I can acknowledge that.

kingkitty

oh fuuuck, nukes? game over everyone

Dec

How much food and water is on a plane like this? Seems to me if the plane didn't crash the people that took it will have had to ration the supplies for a week to have any hope of the passengers surviving?

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
I like how a loose nuke is no big deal, but now that they have a passenger plane (not just a regular plane that they could get anywhere) then OMG PANIC!

crozier

Trouble

Banned
I didn't watch the latest press briefing, but have they dismissed the idea of a refueling? The article you just quoted dismisses the terrorism angle under the assumption that the plane ran out of fuel and crashed:

I think the idea is that any country they had the range to get to has modern enough radar that it would not have gone undetected.

CREMSteve

I didn't watch the latest press briefing, but have they dismissed the idea of a refueling? The article you just quoted dismisses the terrorism angle under the assumption that the plane ran out of fuel and crashed:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...Malaysia-Airlines-MH370-plane-crash-live.html

06.57 So it seems the plane was still in the air when the first reports of its disappearance emerged.

06.33 The press conference has wrapped up with no questions. To sum up, the PM confirmed that plane has flown a long way off course for up to 7.5 hours after losing contact with the ground and that it gradually had its systems turned off. He said it could have continued on two different paths; along a corridor above the southern Indian Ocean and - astoundingly - towards Turkmenistan and Kazakhstan. As a result, searches in the South China Sea have ended.

The Malaysian PM was very careful not to use the word "hijacked" but that comms system was "disabled", consistent with "deliberate action".

He said:"In view of this latest development the Malaysian authorities have refocused their investigation into the crew and passengers on board."

06.30 He said the reports that the plane had definitely been hijacked were premature. "I wish to be very clear, we are still investigating possibilites."

"Authorities have refocused their investigation into crew and passengers."

06.27 PM Razak says MH370's movements are "consistent with deliberate action by someone on the plane".

"We are unable to confirm the precise location of the plane when it last made contact with satellite."

MH370 was last detected at 8:11am on Saturday Malaysian time, 7 hours after initial estimate.

06.23 He is now talking about the initial phase of the investigation and the extension of the search to take in the Andaman Sea. "We can say with a high degree of certainty that the aircraft communication reporting system was disabled before the aircraft reached the east coast of the peninsula Malaysia."

06.20 PM Razak has arrived. He says "This is an excruciating time for the families of those on board".

"It is widely understood that this has been a situation without precedent."

"We understand the desperate need for information... but we have a responsibility to only release information that has been corroborated."

Red Comet

Seems to me that if somebody had the resources to develop or get ahold of a nuke, they wouldn't need to go to such extraordinary lengths to get a plane.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
12:21 AM - Plane departs.

8:11 AM - Last known ping.

So, the plane was apparently responding at just under 8 hours after take off.

As mentioned elsewhere, for a 6 hour flight to Beijing, the plane was likely carrying ~8 hours worth of fuel.

This means that the plane was pinged just before it crashed landed, or after it had already successfully landed.

If they determined the relative location of the plane based off previous pings, why can't they deduce the location of the plane based on the ping at 8:11 AM?

It could be they don't want to share that information with the public yet.

crozier

Seems to me that if somebody had the resources to develop or get ahold of a nuke, they wouldn't need to go to such extraordinary lengths to get a plane.
That's exactly why they would need a plane. They check for radiation at docking yards. You can't launch a missile. A civilian airliner is the perfect means to get a WMD in.

breakfuss

Now that's just some crazy shit right there.

Trouble

Banned

It would be infinitely easier to sneak one in with a small private jet with legit papers than a stolen 777 anyways.

supergiz

I remember seeing some documentary a few years back where a journalist showed how easy it would be for someone to get a nuke off the black market.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I said this a few pages back but there's no way this thing landed (and/or refueled, took off again, etc) without a state actor or a highly sophisticated organization with a secret airfield big enough to stop a 777 but on a small enough island to avoid detection. And both of those are hysterically absurd.

There's no way this thing landed.

raindoc

Here's the thing though, didn't the plane turn off its transponders and fly right over Malaysia AND Thailand? How come neither of those guys noticed it? Or they were just like "oh, huge unidentifiable aircraft? Yeah that's cool, no need to do anything about it."

Been asking this myself. Austria sends up interceptors for the smallest of planes, the germans use their's once a week and yet MH370 flies through multiple nations' radar as an unidentified contact - after a commercial flight went missing - and noone sends up interceptors to take a look at it?
We know it showed up on malayan radar, how likely is it that thai air surveillance picked it up too? Singapore? India has an air force base on the Andaman Islands.
No conspiracy theory, just seems weird to me.

Lazyslob

Banned
I get it, I really do. Conspiracy theories are perhaps my least-favourite thing on the internet.

But if someone DID steal this thing, it's not a huge stretch to speculate that it wasn't just to take a joyride in. Even I can acknowledge that.

Yeah. Whatever the situation is, it's bad though

Red Comet

How much food and water is on a plane like this? Seems to me if the plane didn't crash the people that took it will have had to ration the supplies for a week to have any hope of the passengers surviving?

7 days worth of rations. That's what I heard earlier today. But even if the plane did land, I'd be very surprised if the passengers were still alive. There's the theory that the plane was taken up to high altitudes which would have likely killed the passengers. And if they were alive, I think at least one message would have gotten out by now.

keuja

An Asia-based pilot of a Boeing 777-200, who asked not to be identified because he was not authorized to speak to reporters, said an ascent above the plane’s service limit of 43,100 feet, along with a depressurized cabin, could have rendered the passengers and crew unconscious, and could be a deliberate maneuver by a pilot or a hijacker.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/15/world/asia/malaysia-military-radar.html?smid=tw-bna&_r=0

Fuck. This would be a maneuver that could have been done by an action movie vilain .

Where's real life John Maclane when you need him :(

Falk

that puzzling face
I agree. That's why I also think it's in the water. Here's the thing though, didn't the plane turn off its transponders and fly right over Malaysia AND Thailand? How come neither of those guys noticed it? Or they were just like "oh, huge unidentifiable aircraft? Yeah that's cool, no need to do anything about it."

As covered in the press conference(s), the blip that appeared on military radar was first acknowledged in a recording of the data, not in realtime. I'm assuming part of the reason the information might not have been immediately made public is national security. (You wouldn't want potential enemies to know something like that slips by)

The latest press conference says the raw data was shared with FAA/NTSB as soon as they started investigation, though.

liquidtmd

Banned
I thought the transcript of the press conference from the PM was level headed, rational and well put.

Despite growing credence, too many things just don't add up to be a hijack.

apana

If a pilot did it I have no idea what they could be thinking. Like I said earlier, even if someone offered the pilot millions of dollars how would they ever spend it? Even if the pilot managed to get the plane to its intended destination what would stop the conspirators from killing the pilot?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
If a pilot did it I have no idea what they could be thinking. Like I said earlier, even if someone offered the pilot millions of dollars how would they ever spend it? Even if the pilot managed to get the plane to its intended destination what would stop the conspirators from killing the pilot?

If the pilot or pilots did it you can be sure to cross off "logical explanation" on your list of reasons. Persons willing to do such a thing are either suicidal, zealots, or completely insane. Probably some mix of each.

Red Comet

I said this a few pages back but there's no way this thing landed (and/or refueled, took off again, etc) without a state actor or a highly sophisticated organization with a secret airfield big enough to stop a 777 but on a small enough island to avoid detection. And both of those are hysterically absurd.

There's no way this thing landed.

I find it highly unlikely as well, but one thing I heard earlier today is that 777's need about 1000 ft less runway than is typical to land, which could be a reason why it was targeted if it was piracy. Just wild speculation, but a relevant fact I guess.

thefro

Assuming the pilots are involved (IMHO, you'd need several people on the plane with weapons otherwise), you'd still need:
- A flight path to the destination that you knew well enough to be able to travel there without the plane's internal comms systems. I suppose you could have a laptop or something with the maps and basically navigate old-school.
- 9000 ft of flat, wide paved road with no cars on it or a 9000 ft paved secret airport runway
- You need to light up the landing area since it would have been dark at the time they landed since they went west from Malaysia in the middle of the night.
- Remote area with no cell phone service in a country with a shit radar system (or one where nobody's paying attention) to where nobody's going to notice a huge 777 blip on radar.
- People to make sure the road/landing strip is clear from vehicles and nobody notices
- Several armed gunmen to either kill or take the 220+ people on the plane hostage, destroy cell phones, etc
- Jet fuel and equipment to refuel the plane
- Another landing strip at the final destination where nobody's going to notice a huge plane landing.
- Material to cover the plane up so that you don't notice a huge 777 on satellite imagery at some known terrorist base
- You have to plan all these out without the NSA knowing anything about it or picking up any chatter.

It's pretty much implausible.

2MF

I saw a map today (CNN I think) but I can't find it anymore. It showed the path the plane took along with height changes. If I remember correctly the plane went up and then later down, besides turning a couple of times. Has anyone else seen it?

Crazy stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom