• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disagree

we knew that it changed direction... looking back in hindsight that looks deliberate as hell.

Like I said before I think the plane has landed - they absolutely nailed taking over the plane, and seems they planned out every detail. There is an end game. I don't see the pilot crashing it after 7 hours of flying.

Man I hope they don't fly it back into Malaysia and crash it into something...

If that was the original plan, they would have done so while they were flying over the peninsula. Don't see any sense in them taking the plane out of the country and flying it back in again.

SmokeMaxX

That's exactly what I meant by flight number. I was wondering whether it can be changed, or whether it even needs to be. I'm not sure what role, if anything, that identifier plays in routine flying.

Mode S number cannot be changed. It's hardcoded. The "tail" number can be changed. I think the tail number is the important number for organization purposes (i.e. so ATC can say "hey 3482" as opposed to "hey 838430324093243482"), but I think the transponders transmit the entire number so any aircraft can't hide its true identity even if it changes its tail number.

crozier

Mode S number cannot be changed. It's hardcoded. The "tail" number can be changed. I think the tail number is the important number for organization purposes (i.e. so ATC can say "hey 3482" as opposed to "hey 838430324093243482"), but I think the transponders transmit the entire number so any aircraft can't hide its true identity even if it changes its tail number.
Is that Mode S Number used by the FAA as they deal with an aircraft in real time? Or is the tail number?

Falk

that puzzling face
Twitter is saying today's 5:30pm press conference is cancelled.

edit: And Astro is saying "cancelled because no new developments". Oh well, guess the media questions will go unanswered for a while longer.

SmokeMaxX

Is the press conference supposed to start now?

Is that Mode S Number used by the FAA as they deal with an aircraft in real time? Or is the tail number?
According to PPRUNE:
The tail number isn't transmitted via the transponder, except in cases where it's being used as the callsign for the flight. It can, of course, be ascertained from the 24-bit address, so it's not really necessary.
So it's there, but as part of the whole number (I guess Mode S number + Tail number).
I'm not an expert on this stuff by any means, but if it were really possible for a pilot to just imitate any flight, the FAA is far dumber than I've ever imagined.

crozier

Is the press conference supposed to start now?

According to PPRUNE:

So it's there, but as part of the whole number (I guess Mode S number + Tail number).
I'm not an expert on this stuff by any means, but if it were really possible for a pilot to just imitate any flight, the FAA is far dumber than I've ever imagined.
I'm going with dumb. Just a couple of weeks ago a pilot of a commercial flight outright landed at the wrong airport without any fuss until afterwards. I don't think they scrutinize every detail of every flight. If a plane is obviously commercial and isn't doing anything abnormal I think they're more or less treated as non-threatening.

Lucifon

How much would you have to pay someone to kill 200+ people and risk their life like that (without selling them some bullshit about serving their country)?

Looks like today's news makes this even more plausible. If something is worth a lot on there then its probably not much money to whoever does the paying off but is a large sum to a pilot. It doesn't seem to be terrorism so far from the evidence, and I'd be surprised if a passenger had the knowledge required to do what they've done.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
So if this is a hijack,

Where did it land (If)? could the oil rig workers email about seeing a. Plane crash be true ?

If not who are the hijackers , the guys on the stolen passports.

What are the motives ?

Where is the destination point ,
More importantly I cannot believe radar in that area is so bad, how can you evade radar so easily, some agency or country know more than they are letting on.

So it could be a hijack gone wrong and crash

Or it has gone right and in a few days or hours the passengers will be hostages ??

It's like the more is "uncovered" the more the likely cause keeps on changing.

Maybe someone did shoot them down and they just covering it up ?

Now the "hijack" cause has been floated, families are gonna have (false) hope that the loved ones could still be alive.

I hope answers are found soon.

Woke up to a news message on my phone, quickly glanced on it and saw MH370 and I thought they found the damn thing. Then you start to read better, getting the sand out of your eyes and the plane is 'hijacked'

Unbelievable.

MIMIC

Banned
Disappears from radar. Transponders turned off. Data link turned off. Flies for 4 hours.

Hijacked, you say?

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia -- Malaysia's prime minister says the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 appears to be "deliberate."

Speaking to the press early Saturday, Prime Minister Najib Razak said the investigation has refocused onto the crew and passengers aboard the missing plane. He added that despite growing evidence to suggest a possible hijacking or sabotage, all possibilities are still being investigated.

The prime minister also said that authorities are now trying to trace the plane across two possible "corridors" -- a northern corridor from northern Thailand through to the border of Kazakstan and Turkmenistan, and a southern corridor from Indonesia to the southern Indian Ocean -- and that search efforts in the South China Sea would be ended.

"Clearly the search for MH370 has entered a new phase," he said.

Earlier, a Malaysian government official who is involved in the investigation said investigators have concluded that one of the pilots or someone else with flying experience hijacked the missing Malaysia Airlines jet.

The official said no motive has been established, and it is not yet clear where the plane was taken. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to brief the media.

The official said that hijacking was no longer a theory. "It is conclusive."

I'm still thinking the pilot(s) did it.

Falk

that puzzling face
So if this is a hijack,

Where did it land (If)? could the oil rig workers email about seeing a. Plane crash be true ?

If not who are the hijackers , the guys on the stolen passports.

What are the motives ?

Where is the destination point ,
More importantly I cannot believe radar in that area is so bad, how can you evade radar so easily, some agency or country know more than they are letting on.

So it could be a hijack gone wrong and crash

Or it has gone right and in a few days or hours the passengers will be hostages ??

It's like the more is "uncovered" the more the likely cause keeps on changing.

Maybe someone did shoot them down and they just covering it up ?

Now the "hijack" cause has been floated, families are gonna have (false) hope that the loved ones could still be alive.

I hope answers are found soon.

I think with the amount of international assets and investigative teams involved now, a "shot down and attempting to cover up" theory is becoming less and less likely.

(p.s. no offense but your avatar is a tad unsettling in this context. Just sayin')

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
posting again the facts only aviation news site.

http://avherald.com/h?article=4710c69b&opt=0

On Mar 15th 2014 Malaysia's Prime Minister stated in a press conference: "based on new satellite communication we can say with a high degree of certainty that the Aircraft Communications Addressing and Reporting System (ACARS) was disabled just before the aircraft reached the east coast of peninsular Malaysia. Shortly afterwards, near the border between Malaysian and Vietnamese air traffic control, the aircraft’s transponder was switched off." Movements of the aircraft until the aircraft left Malaysia's primary radar coverage were consistent with deliberate action by someone on the aircraft. The primary radar target, so far believed but not confirmed to be MH-370, could today be identified as MH-370 with the help of new data received from the satellite data provider. The aircraft could have flown on for 7 hours, the last trace of the aircraft was identified at 08:11L (00:11Z Mar 8th). "Due to the type of satellite data we are unable to confirm the precise location of the plane when it last made contact with the satellite." However, the investigation was able to determine that the last communication was in one of two corridors: "the northern corridor stretching approximately from the border of Kazakhstan and Turkmenistan to northern Thailand or the southern corridor stretching approximately from Indonesia to Southern Indian Ocean." The investigation team is working to further refine the information. The search in the South China Sea and Gulf of Thailand has been ended. "In view of this latest development the Malaysian Authorities have refocussed their investigation into the crew and passengers on board. Despite media reports, that the plane was hijacked, I wish to be very clear we are still investigating all possibilities as to what caused MH-370 to deviate from its original flight path."

story is getting very strange.

I'm still thinking the pilot(s) did it.

either that or the hijackers are pilots themselves and were able to get to the cockpit. How would someone get to the cockpit without the pilots being complicit?

I will still be absolutely (pleasantly) surprised if a single passenger is found alive.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I think with the amount of international assets and investigative teams involved now, a "shot down and attempting to cover up" theory is becoming less and less likely.

(p.s. no offense but your avatar is a tad unsettling in this context. Just sayin')

None taken, I turned my avatar, graphics off on my mobile , I forgot how bizarre it is, from a crazy waxworks thread.. I might change it soon to a better more suitable avatar

JonCha

Just seen most of the statement on the BBC. Scary stuff. The Transport correspondent from The Independent said as there seems to have been no contact from peoples' phones, it may have gone over the Indian Ocean where there's no signal.

That said, wasn't there something at the beginning of this about phones still ringing?

MIMIC

Banned
either that or the hijackers are pilots themselves and were able to get to the cockpit. How would someone get to the cockpit without the pilots being complicit?

I will still be absolutely (pleasantly) surprised if a single passenger is found alive.

The only reason I think it was the pilots was because there was no distress signal sent. I think one would have gone out had the hijackers been passengers.

Everything about this entire thing seemed too seamless, technically-speaking. Not a single indication of tumult.

Falk

that puzzling face
Ugh, I really don't mean to actually suggest it myself, but in light of today, the existence of the Jonti Roos photos/story is going to be quite damning against MAS regardless of what the investigations ultimately turn up. People -are- going to bring it up, over and over again.

SmokeMaxX

Sounds to me like someone with flying experience, but not in large passenger planes. Which would rule out the pilots themselves.
I think you'd need knowledge of a 777 to disable its systems so efficiently. I don't think you can rule out the pilots. You could say it's just a lack of experience in that particular scenario, which would include the pilots as suspects.
So strange.

If it was taken by terrorists, why didn't anyone call from the plane? Or am I missing something?

You can't make phone calls at the altitude that planes fly at. Satellite phones on board the plane can be turned off. If it landed, it could land in an area with no reception. Not sure if it could land with a cell phone jammer on site as wouldn't that screw up the plane's computers as well?

The whole thing is ridiculously crazy. I understand the reason why the Q&A was cancelled, everything is still up in the air including on who are the main suspects.

Sean*O

That 20 people from freescale semiconductor just so happened to be on this flight is another factor too strange to be ignored. Maybe they were meant for capture as well as the plane. This whole thing is unbelievable.

The whole thing is ridiculously crazy. I understand the reason why the Q&A was cancelled, everything is still up in the air including on who are the main suspects.

Really?
;)

This is fucking strange and every day the story gets weirder and weirder. Their families must be going crazy.

SmokeMaxX

That 20 people from freescale semiconductor just so happened to be on this flight is another factor too strange to be ignored. Maybe they were meant for capture as well as the plane. This whole thing is unbelievable.

Are they valuable at all? I can't imagine workers from a semi-conductor factory being all that important.

Hammer24

Banned
I think you'd need knowledge of a 777 to disable its systems so efficiently. I don't think you can rule out the pilots. You could say it's just a lack of experience in that particular scenario, which would include the pilots as suspects.

How about forcing the pilots to do the disabling, then taking over to fly yourself?
Damn, I hate speculating in a tragedy like this. But its so mysterious right now, that there is not much else possible.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Wouldn't it be fair to assume that if this plane had crashed they would have found the wreckage by now?

no, they've confirmed they have been searching in an area where it certainly wasn't.

dan2026

How exactly does a plane just disappear in 2014?

Is there no tracking?, satellites?, wouldn't somebody see the thing, its big enough?

Sean*O

Are they valuable at all? I can't imagine workers from a semi-conductor factory being all that important.

We don't know who they are that I'm aware of, but they could know a lot or nothing pertaining to military technology, radar detection, etc. some have used the term "electronic warfare experts" which could be hyperbole or it may not depending on who was among the 20. The company had/has ties to NASA among others.

This is all so heartbreaking for the families and friends of those involved. Every day there is a multitude of new information that surfaces, contradicting old information, a lot of which ends up being incorrect. It's almost impossible that the passengers are still alive, and yet I'm sure the families are holding on to that slightest of chances that they are still alive. It's crazy watching this all unfold and I truly hope it reaches a conclusion soon.

I cant think of any reason why someone would hijack the plane but not for political reasons. Maybe someone had personal reasons to not go to China.

If it were a political issue, probably someone was being extradited to China and he didnt want to. But the plane would have landed by now. Even the dumbest of hijackers will understand when the pilot says the jet doesn't have enough fuel. What reason is there for someoe to fly into the middle of ocean and make everyone die? The other thing is, it's impossible for one guy to take over control of the entire plane. So many questions.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Missed the last 12 hours or so of news. Someone want to give me some links and an update to new, official, and confirmed information?

Shancake

Missed the last 12 hours or so of news. Someone want to give me some links and an update to new, official, and confirmed information?
The plane was most likely hijacked and apparently flew for 7 hours. There are reports that it may have flown near Australia. Scary stuff.

Falk

that puzzling face
Prime Minister gave a press conference confirming:
-MH370 was westbound according to satellite data, deliberate movement.
-Transponder and ASART tampering was deliberate

The last page covers most of it, including link to full transcript of the press conference.

Another press conference was scheduled today but cancelled.

edit: Nevermind, not gonna post speculative images.

DJwest

How exactly does a plane just disappear in 2014?

Is there no tracking?, satellites?, wouldn't somebody see the thing, its big enough?
Still boggles my mind man. I just don't get it. In this day and age, commercial flights can disappear for a week ? Fuck.

Batigol

Banned
I am terrified of flying. Yet, thanks to this thread, I've pretty much just read every major flight disaster there is :s

On top that, whenever I flew to America I was always somewhat calm because I'd assume being over water for the majority of the flight I'd be ok if something went wrong. But these motherfuckers disintegrate on water impact too. I've been living a lie.

I'm gonna have to be drunk out of my mind to fly there again

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Cheers guys. So the current belief by investigators is that the transponder and ASART were turned off manually around the time they lost contact, the aircraft was turned around from original flight path, and then made a couple of other turns and was last detected over the ocean heading in the general direction of India. Movement of the aircraft is believed to be deliberate. Last suspected detection was over the ocean, though may have continued inland if fuel could cover (standard flight allocation probably wouldn't?). Due to flight movement it's clear this was done manually, though not known by who (pilots, hijackers, passengers). Location of the aircraft is still unknown, as is its fate.

What was this talk about flight height? I don't see it in the PR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom