• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man cleared of NYC murder after 25 years in prison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThisOne

All the money in the world won't get him that 25 years back, which is damn shame. NYC owes him sa large chunk of change regardless.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think the worst part is that the cops and the prosecutors probably don't face any real penalties. It's too bad.

Vorheez

Wow. I have never met the man, no clue what he is like, yet after one article I am disgusted and enraged. I cannot believe the world we live in sometimes. This man lost 25 YEARS of his life! 25 fucking years! I'm only 21, and I had to sit back and try to create a sense of time throughout my life and just how long that really is... Everything I would have done in my life would have been behind bars. Everything. I would not have experienced a single thing in my life up until this point, and I would have had 4 more years to go...

What a poor, poor man. I very deeply sympathize with him. I know a lot of people say that, but I wish I could help him, I really do. Give him something, even just a hug... What a sick, sick world we live in. I hope to the bottom of my heart that someone is held responsible or he is greatly compensated.

The new Brooklyn DA campaigned on this, overturning wrongful convictions is all well and good but a case needs to built and criminal charges need to be filed against the people responsible.

Namely this motherfucker right here:

26-1n012-detective-300x300.jpg

Louis Scarcella

How the fuck does evidence state you are at Disney, yet committed a crime somewhere else? I don't understand how you logically come to that conclusion with enough belief to put someone in prison for 25 years.

If you thought about this longer than 2 seconds you would realize it is a terrible idea.

but seriously, it seems like there should be some legal version of malpractice, or a more forceful one if there already is. 25 years out of someone's life gone for no good reason is serious.

but seriously, it seems like there should be some legal version of malpractice, or a more forceful one if there already is. 25 years out of someone's life gone for no good reason is serious.
Seriously. I get upset if I waste 15 minutes, let alone 25 years. You can't get any amount of time back once it's gone. Not sure one could ever come to complete peace with that, knowing it was severely unjust.

Unfortunately, order--and the appearance of swift justice--is often prioritized over the exercise of true justice. The result here is an innocent man's life ruined and a killer walking free.

Half your life erased because of lazy cops.

Someone's going to become a millionaire by summer.

Prosecutors’ review produced a hotel receipt that Fleming paid in Florida about five hours before the shooting — a document that police evidently had found in Fleming’s pocket when they arrested him. Prosecutors also found an October 1989 Orlando police letter to New York detectives, saying some employees at an Orlando hotel had told investigators they remembered Fleming.

Neither the receipt nor the police letter had been provided to Fleming’s initial defense lawyer, despite rules that generally require investigators to turn over possibly exculpatory material.

That's beyond just "lazy".

and no one gives a fuck because if he was arrested for murder he was obviously up to SOMETHING shady, or dealing with some shady people.

After all, a completely, 100% innocent, good natured person would never get caught up in something like that. Ever.

I know you're kidding, but find a picture of him "acting like a thug" and you have a real shot at being published by the WSJ Opinion site.

MaulerX

Stuff like this drives me batty. A person got murdered, someone got wrongfully sentenced and lost 25 years of his life, all the while the real killer walked away scotch free. That's all sorts of fucked up.

Stuff like this drives me batty. A person got murdered, someone got wrongfully sentenced and lost 25 years of his life, all the while the real killer walked away scotch free. That's all sorts of fucked up.
And everyone responsible for that bullshit will still sleep good tonight. Tragic.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Not just 25 years, but half his life. As an innocent man.

Knowing that there are many, many more innocent people just sitting locked up without even a trial started yet like in Brazil for suspected trafficking is sickening too.

Money won't bring back those 25 years, but it's the least they could do considering what just happened should have happened 25 years ago even a day after his sentencing. It's inexcusable.

entremet

What's the poor guy going to do now? It's not just time but opportunity cost. How does he explain this when applying for jobs?

DopeToast

Banned
Jesus Christ what a rough life to have. I hope whatever comfort he can find now is enough. What a horrible thing to have to go through.

What's the poor going to do now. It's not just time but opportunity cost. How does he explain this when applying for jobs?
He's pretty screwed I am sorry to say. There are many cases like this and most state laws don't provide any sort of decent support for those wrongfully convicted, and even if they do they don't take into account the stigma attached to being in prison, the lack of education, job experience, etc.

We have an absolutely horrible justice system, especially when it comes to mistakes. People (taxpayers) don't like having their money spent on anything associated with crime. So corners are cut, bad decisions are made.

It's really sad.

No less than a million for every year he's been in prison, tax free. They owe him at least that for taking his life from him.

And to think, this could have easily been a death penalty case.

charsace

Knew he was black before seeing him. Only a black man can have as much evidence as he did and still get convicted.

Retrocide

My blood is boiling, the fact that the prosecutors can wave away his evidence of being in florida with he could of taken a round trip flight without producing evidence of said flight....is....mindblowing. 25 years...sue them for everything you can get.

...a woman testified that she had seen him shoot Rush.

The eyewitness recanted her testimony soon after Fleming’s 1990 conviction, saying she had lied so police would cut her loose for an unrelated arrest, but Fleming lost his appeals.
What the fuck?!

Poor guy, I would be out to sue the shit out of everyone involved. Not even for the money just the satisfaction of justice.

That's a damn shame, all the evidence in the world to support his alibi and he was still found guilty. Boondocks being closer to reality than fiction once again.

I don't know how humble one can be when they're wrongfully imprisoned for 25 years, but I have a feeling that were this to happen to me, I wouldn't be thinking money when getting out.

What would your first thought be? Aside from elation at no longer being imprisoned.

It might not occur to me at first, but it would definitely come up quickly. 25 years behind bars, how easy would it be to readjust to society and find a decent job?

Protein

Banned
In a perfect world, everyone involved, prosecutor, eyewitness, and scumbag cops would serve hard time for this.

-MD-

Guy better get a million for every year at the very least.

A fuckin movie star makes that in a few weeks, this dude had the better half of his life taken from him.

Red Mage

I feel sorry for the guy, and I hope he gets justice (unlikely as it seems) out of this, but I just thought of something. If I was a relative of the victim, I'd sue the prosecutor and police as well. Not only did they let my family member's murderer go because of malice/incompetence, they have forever tarnished their memory by connecting it to a gross miscarriage of justice.

I wonder if the cops/prosecutor are still alive? If so, strip the cops of their retirement and the prosecutor of his license to practice if so.

*edit*

California Maximum of $100 per day of wrongful incarceration.

...what?

Whenever I read cases like this I wonder about the actual aftermath. Do these guys get compensation of some kind? I never hear about it

Wiktor

I don;t get it.

He was sentenced to 25. He served 25 ..so why the need to get a parole hearing?

Enzom21

I feel sorry for the guy, and I hope he gets justice (unlikely as it seems) out of this, but I just thought of something. If I was a relative of the victim, I'd sue the prosecutor and police as well. Not only did they let my family member's murderer go because of malice/incompetence, they have forever tarnished their memory by connecting it to a gross miscarriage of justice.

I wonder if the cops/prosecutor are still alive? If so, strip the cops of their retirement and the prosecutor of his license to practice if so.

*edit*

California Maximum of $100 per day of wrongful incarceration.

...what?

Well in Florida you might get nothing:
http://www.innocenceproject.org/Content/Compensating_The_Wrongly_Convicted.php
In 2004, Floridian Wilton Dedge was exonerated after having been forced to spend 22 years in prison for a rape and burglary that he did not commit.
Upon his release from wrongful imprisonment, however, Mr. Dedge was entitled to absolutely nothing from the state. Mr. Dedge’s lawsuit against the state was dismissed by the trial court.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
He's pretty screwed I am sorry to say. There are many cases like this and most state laws don't provide any sort of decent support for those wrongfully convicted, and even if they do they don't take into account the stigma attached to being in prison, the lack of education, job experience, etc.
This is exactly why he needs money to live on without having to worry about any of that.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
You know I'm trying to remember something here but I'm pretty sure that when I took a commercial law class 2 years ago, the intro to law week of the class talked about how most cases end at plea bargaining phase even if the person is innocent for one reason, they're afraid that they might lose even if they are innocent.

A person is more likely to take 3 months than lose and take 25 years, even if innocent.

Or something like that.

zma1013

It's great when a single person's word can damn you for your entire life isn't it?

"Evidence? We don't need evidence, this person over here said they saw him do it, so that's enough for me. People don't lie... except for the suspect. Throw the book at him."

Shadybiz

Good that he's free, and he'll definitely be paid (probably enough so that he won't have to work for the rest of his life), but goddamn...25 years. I really don't get how he lost his appeals AFTER the witness recanted.

Jagernaut

It's not just the general unreliability of eyewitness testimony, it's the use of witnesses who have something to gain and will say whatever the prosecution wants them to say. That's why I would never believe jailhouse snitches. They just happen to hear the defendant confess to crimes that occurred exactly how the police wrote it up.

Chumly

Absolutely ridiculous. Since police and prosecutors withheld evidence that could have proved his innocence they should be facing jail time. If it was just a normal case where further evidence down the road proved innocence we should be punishing the police or prosecutors but this case is disgusting.

mackattk

Hopefully he will get paid enough so he doesn't have to worry about money for the rest of his and his family's life.

Trojan X

Banned
Must sue. Not even a discussion. A lie and ignorance took 25yrs of your life so must sue the police, women, everyone involved against you! Fuck em all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom