• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man dissolved in acidic water at Yellowstone after he slips into pool

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/17/us/yellowstone-man-dissolved-trnd/

CNN said:
A 23-year-old Oregon man essentially dissolved inside a hot spring at Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming after he accidentally fell into it.
The bizarre incident happened back in June, when Colin Nathaniel Scott went to the park with his sister to find a place to "hot pot."
According to a recently released report from park officials, Scott and his sister went to an unauthorized area near the Norris Geyser.
"They were specifically moving in that area for a place that they could potentially get into and soak," Deputy Chief Ranger Lorant Veress told CNN affiliate KULR. "I think they call it hot potting."
Scott had reached down to check the temperature of a spring when he slipped and fell into it. Rescuers later found Scott's body inside the pool, but couldn't retrieve it because of a lighting storm in the area. When they came back the next day, no remains were found beneath the spring's churning, acidic waters.
"In a very short order, there was a significant amount of dissolving," Veress said.

giphy.gif

Goddamn that is like my nightmare scenario, being dissolved in a pool of acid.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It's actually an old story from June. I'm not sure why they ran a new story today. We had a thread on it.

Shmuppers

That's about one of the dumbest things you can do

This thread is further proof that gaf just reposts Facebook news

The earth digested him like a freaking Sarlacc. Which is probably the dumbest concept for a bad guy, really:

C3PO said:
In its belly, you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly digested over a thousand years.

You'll be dead in the first few seconds, and the average human lifespan is what, like 75? But still -- A THOUSAND YEARS.

Similarly: This guy died by either scalding or drowning, not dissolving.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
How fucking stupid do you have to be to think this was a good idea? Hey folks, there are warning signs/paths everywhere in Yellowstone for a reason. Want to "hot pot?" There are a bevy of hot springs in Oregon.

I feel for his sister who was there recording the incident.

Achtius

Not gonna lie I thought it might be a kinky sex thing and was confused since they were siblings. The quote does mention that it's basically just finding natural hot springs or something though.

i am confused too, I thought hot pot is a way to cook food =/

Odoul

Just thinking about how I enjoy the times my sisters and brother get to actually hang out and do stuff now.

His sister is gonna live with that forever.

My heart hurts for her.

Why would they trespass into an unauthorized area in such a dangerous place anyways?

RIP, but morons nonetheless.
Sadly this is what park rangers and security management have to work with in park enclosures, zoos, bridges and other dangerous areas. They have to account for the biggest moron on earth when devising these barriers. In this case despite a million signs, a moron got away and killed himself. They will now be forced to come up with more ways of restrictions.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Did he die?
dis·solve
dəˈzälv/
verb
(with reference to a solid) become or cause to become incorporated into a liquid so as to form a solution.
"glucose dissolves easily in water"
synonyms: go into solution, break down; More

Dice//

Banned
That's really awful but I'm morbidly curious what the crime scene photos looked like.
Still, completely messed up. RIP.

BibiMaghoo

So in other words; If you ever need to get rid off a body....

This was said in the other thread, but in order to get to that point you would need to drag the body two hundred feet off the path and risk - quite considerably - joining that body in a boiling grave. That seems to be a big drawback with that method of body disposal.

Read the article on CNN, Jesus, she was recording video on her cell phone when he fell in? Why??

At least it wasn't live facebook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom