• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man dissolved in acidic water at Yellowstone after he slips into pool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Literal nightmare fuel.

thumbsup.jpg

...And then I laughed.

Kinyou

This was said in the other thread, but in order to get to that point you would need to drag the body two hundred feet off the path and risk - quite considerably - joining that body in a boiling grave. That seems to be a big drawback with that method of body disposal..
Sounds like a good scenario for a Coen brothers movie

Piers

That's a horrifyingly painful way to die.
Doubly sad if his family are ones to cremate a loved one.

What gets me is that they didn't send a rescue team out due to a lightning storm. Even without air transport, it surely shouldn't take much longer by car + foot.
Edit: Sorry, misread. That's even more confusing, though.

Breads

Banned
A pool of boiling acid he couldn't possibly climb out of.

That is probably one of the most horrific deaths imaginable.

I thought it happened to someone else. Sure enough it was the same person from before.

Time did not make this story any less traumatic.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Again? Jesus Christ, people.

Edit: Oh, alright. It's the same idiot from before. RIP.

MGrant

I mean, a hot pot is a boiling soup that you cook things in, so yeah, I guess he succeeded in hot potting.

I remember all of the warning signs that were posted around the thermal pools, geysers, and mud volcanoes in Yellowstone the last time I went. And the smell of sulfur is so strong around some of them that I have no clue why you'd want to soak in any of it. But maybe they need to be more frank about it. "SERIOUSLY: THIS IS HOT FUCKING ACID. YOU CAN'T SWIM IN THIS AND LIVE, DIPSHIT." Something like that.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
A pool of boiling acid he couldn't possibly climb out of.

That is probably one of the most horrific deaths imaginable.

I thought it happened to someone else. Sure enough it was the same person from before.

Time did not make this story any less traumatic.

If you get fully immersed you'd want to die as quickly as possible. It's a nightmare.

You instantly go blind. It's really hot. Acid is burning you. Eventually all the nerves in your body die, so now you don't feel anything. Then you just eventually die.

I remember all of the warning signs that were posted around the thermal pools, geysers, and mud volcanoes in Yellowstone the last time I went. And the smell of sulfur is so strong around some of them that I have no clue why you'd want to soak in any of it. But maybe they need to be more frank about it. "SERIOUSLY: THIS IS HOT FUCKING ACID. YOU CAN'T SWIM IN THIS AND LIVE, DIPSHIT." Something like that.

Not just all the signs, the areas around the pools themselves look like death-zones already.

I have to suspect some kind of recreational substance was involved.

It occurs to me that if she pushed him in, we'd never know.

But! I doubt this is the case, and I feel bad for them.

Just a random thought.

I'm terrible, I know.

Jenov

Here's a question to give you nightmares: What killed him first? Drowning, or the boiling acidic temperature?

I'm morbidly curious about this too, so I'll take a guess. I think asphyxiation/drowning did him in. He probably inhaled quite a bit of the acidic water into his lungs which probably burned away the lining of his lungs/esophagus and contributed to a somewhat quick death (less than 1 minute). Combined with the shock, and burning away of the nerves, I'm thinking he didn't really feel more than 15-20 seconds of pain before asphyxiation, unconsciousness, then death soon after.

GhaleonEB

The amount of pain must have been unimaginable.

Given the heat and acidity, I'm guessing it went pretty fast. But yeah, that's...not a good way to go. I don't like getting the water in a hot tub in my eyes, boiling acid is probably not pleasant.

Still a freaking idiot for ignoring the giant signs everywhere telling you to stay on the trail or potentially die a horrible death. That hasn't changed since the original thread. Maybe Yellowstone will update some of them with this story, so he can serve as a warning to others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom