• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man Drifts A Stop Sign; Is Choked, Tased & Beaten Savagely By Officers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh man, this report.
Officers said he yelled, "I'll kill you."
The officer's mics were either turned off, or not working.
There is no audio of the alleged threat

IqUQEyH.jpg

LOOK OUT. HE'S GOT A GUN.

Hamhock

Neo Member
Oh man, this report.
Officers said he yelled, "I'll kill you."
The officer's mics were either turned off, or not working.
There is no audio of the alleged threat

IqUQEyH.jpg

Yeah. Darn the bad luck!

There were a lot of cops that showed up and there is zero audio according to the report.

I don't get how "malfunctioning" audio/video equipment is an acceptable thing. It makes even having the equipment nearly worthless since it seems like shady cops can just turn it off/ claim it was malfunctioning.

Derwind

I love the logic used in these cases.

"He resisted having his hands cuffed, couldn't put his hands over his back. He was resisting!!!!"

Well no fucking shit, when someones wailing on my face throwing wide swings, I woild instinctively try to cover my face.

Not to mention your also choking the guy who was clearly tapping out at the get go.

Oh but he conveniently has a "dime" bag of cocaine under his seat? Well shit, time to get in to the octagon!!!

Aselith

They actually planted crack on the guy too? Terrible.

I believe he was just previously cited for it not planted it on this guy. He was forced to take a drug test though probably jsut in case he had some weed in him to make a case that this was "legit."

Gotta watch those stoners, man. They bite!

"They say Dent yelled at the officers, 'I'll kill you!'" a line which conveniently was never recorded and under the circumstances is obviously complete ass-covering horseshit.

Because the thread title didn't say 'black' I just sort of clicked without thinking about race and then I had this 'of course' moment the second I started reading.

If I was a Cop I'd be so pissed at asshats like this making us all look like racist thugs.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
A man with no criminal record, yells out, "I will kill you" to a fucking cop? Somehow, he gains the ability to be a threat to cops all around him, after being put in a choke hold, punched in the head and tazered a few times?

Fuck cops.

sk3

Banned
The response was way out of line, obviously, but the guy messed up several times.

1, Didn't stop and pull over immediately when a cop was behind him with its lights on.

2. Opened the car door when pulled over. NEVER get out of your car unless instructed to at a traffic stop.

3. Bit the cop. Don't bite cops.

The first two are basic common sense and taught in all traffic school courses. The first one is even illegal.

A man with no criminal record, yells out, "I will kill you" to a fucking cop? Somehow, he gains the ability to be a threat to cops all around him, after being put in a choke hold, punched in the head and tazered a few times?

Fuck cops.

Don't forget having a baggy of crack cocaine despite no criminal record or evidence of drug use!

Did you also notice that the officer who beat the shit out of him for no reason has been previously investigated for planting evidence?

The response was way out of line, obviously, but the guy messed up several times.

1, Didn't stop immediately and pull over immediately when a cop was behind him with its lights on.

2. Opened the car door when pulled over. NEVER get out of your car unless instructed to at a traffic stop.

The first two are basic common sense and taught in all traffic school courses. The first one is even illegal.

Really? Is that why all charges except drug possession were thrown out by the judge? Also, how do you know he actually bit the officer?

Patrol

Banned
So they don't even have the full video. The video skips at 01:14. That's annoying.

Damn, first off when the lights go on, immediately pull over. When you don't, it's a red flag as a stall technique to hide crap in the vehicle. It's just going to irritate the officer more. Besides, the lights are hard to miss at night when you're on the road by yourself, nevermind when the damn spotlight hits you. Second, when you are pulled over, never EVER open your door and attempt to get out of the vehicle. Every measure of training LEOs get highlights immediately that's a big red flag.

Secondly, we don't have the audio of the exchange nor why they decided to pull him out of the vehicle so a huge context is missing. Stupid video skipping to him getting pulled out makes this difficult to analyze. However, I can clearly see him passively resisting and then actively resisting; nevermind the fact that is a BIG dude. The only time I would go hands-on while on the ground is when he or she started grabbing at me or attempting to bite me while trying to gain control -- and I can see him grabbing, but hard to tell if he was biting.

So much context is missing here so I won't levy judgement on the ordeal whether he acted accordingly. Took a lot of force to gain control due to his size, and that's assuming he wasn't under the influence of a third-party additive like alcohol or drugs. Drugs like PCP or Meth can be scary when fighting someone... as control techniques, OC, and even a baton can sometimes be pointless. Sheer numbers and brute strength is sometimes all that is required to gain control of these guys/gals.

1, Didn't stop and pull over immediately when a cop was behind him with its lights on.

Stop here next time

He's lucky to be alive and lucky he didn't kill anyone. So I guess it's kind of win-win.

EDIT: Thought he was "drifting" around a stop sign as opposed to just not stopping completely.

Oh sorry guys.

Fuck cops, all cops are pigs!

Is that better?
No its bad too. But the problem is, no matter his actions, the cops who represent the state and the law were out of line. His illegal actions are supposed to be litigated in court of law not at the end of a cops fist. The pointing out of his mistakes only serve to give cover to the blatent abuse the cops delivered.

and that's assuming he wasn't under the influence of a third-party additive like alcohol or drugs. Drugs like PCP or Meth can be scary when fighting someone... as control techniques, OC, and even a baton can sometimes be pointless. Sheer numbers and brute strength is sometimes all that is required to gain control of these guys/gals.
The news report says there was no trace of drugs in his blood.

JoeBoy101

1) You are NOT required to pull over immediately if it will impede traffic so long as you show you are moving to pull over.

2) Yeah, you're not supposed to open the car door. The response of the cops were to DRAW THEIR WEAPONS. Clearly, that was not in response to a perceived weapon but a fear of a possible weapon. As I've said again and again, was it a reasonable fear, just because he opened his car door?

3) Alleged bite that did not receive medical attention and was not photographed. Sorry, if a person bites me, I'm going to seek medical attention just to make sure I don't catch anything.

Sure, 'fuck all pigs' is just going to an extreme, but watch the video and explain to me how the cops weren't on a hair trigger? Even he didn't immediately pull over, it was a low speed chase. Their response was to draw weapons outside of any threat or weapon shown.

Zabka

The idea that your natural preservation instincts can be used as a reason to legally destroy you is terrifying.

Blader

This is fucking nuts. How do they think they can keep getting away with it? Just imagine how fucking bad things were when the police were completely evangelized, the type of shit they were getting away with. Christ.

...because they keep getting away with it.

Oh sorry guys.

Is that better?

If you admit that the response was way out of line, why bother posting at all about the guy's apparently incredibly egregious fuck ups? All you have to acknowledge is that the cops were way over the line in how they reacted.

Your take on this situation is tantamount to saying, "obviously that girl didn't deserve to be raped, but she messed up by wearing a short skirt and walking home alone at night. That's just common sense."

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
So they don't even have the full video. The video skips at 01:14. That's annoying.

Damn, first off when the lights go on, immediately pull over. When you don't, it's a red flag as a stall technique to hide crap in the vehicle. It's just going to irritate the officer more. Besides, the lights are hard to miss at night when you're on the road by yourself, nevermind when the damn spotlight hits you. Second, when you are pulled over, never EVER open your door and attempt to get out of the vehicle. Every measure of training LEOs get highlights immediately that's a big red flag.

Secondly, we don't have the audio of the exchange nor why they decided to pull him out of the vehicle so a huge context is missing. Stupid video skipping to him getting pulled out makes this difficult to analyze. However, I can clearly see him passively resisting and then actively resisting; nevermind the fact that is a BIG dude. The only time I would go hands-on while on the ground is when he or she started grabbing at me or attempting to bite me while trying to gain control -- and I can see him grabbing, but hard to tell if he was biting.

So much context is missing here so I won't levy judgement on the ordeal whether he acted accordingly. Took a lot of force to gain control due to his size, and that's assuming he wasn't under the influence of a third-party additive like alcohol or drugs. Drugs like PCP or Meth can be scary when fighting someone... as control techniques, OC, and even a baton can sometimes be pointless. Sheer numbers and brute strength is sometimes all that is required to gain control of these guys/gals.

Lol, passively resisting. The dude is thrown to the fucking ground and not given ANY chance to put his hands behind his back. Then a choke hold is used against him when he is "actively resisting". Maybe due to the fact that he doesn't want to be choked to death.

Gain control of what exactly? Fucking joke.

Aselith

Let's wait for all the facts, guys!

Oh sorry guys.

Is that better?

I give benefit of the doubt and try to judge these incidents evenhandedly whenever they arise. We can see what occurred on the video and use our common sense to parse out what is missing, or exists in the messy realm of he said, they said.

Your first point doesn't hold water here. It's late at night, he's driving at a consistent pace, he has the right to drive a short distance to a safe spot before pulling over. If this weren't the case, why would the judge have thrown out the relevant charge? After all, it's all on tape, right?

Your second point is valid, sure. It still does not excuse repeatedly punching and choking a man. He's dragged out of the car and isn't even given a chance to cooperate before he is placed into a chokehold and subsequently beaten.

Your third point is only valid if a) He actually bit the officer, which isn't necessarily, you know, true and b) He wasn't in valid fear for his life, which if I were in his shoes, I very well would be.

There is no point at which he is seen to physically resist. When he is dragged out of the car, he isn't even given a chance to put his hands behind his back before he is put into a chokehold, which has been known to, I don't know, kill people before.

He has no criminal record, he was not armed, he was not under the influence of drugs. Am I expected to believe, on the word of an officer previously investigated for planting evidence and making false statements, that he spontaneously said "I'll kill you!" when two cops approached him guns drawn?

Man, I'm really getting to become quite afraid for my dad and myself even.
Were you not before? I have 4 brothers. I'm afraid for them every damn day. They don't give a damn who you are, what you do, what you've done. The fear is so fucking wearing.

JoeBoy101

And THERE'S the problem. Training that says that a red flag in behavior is justification to draw guns and use physical force. No threat, physical or otherwise. No weapon. Just a 'red flag'.

That you don't see the problem there scares me more. The general public are not combatants.

Just another day here in the US of A.

I was pulled over two nights ago while driving my g/f. I immediately cut on all lights in the car and placed my hands on the steering wheel in clear sight.

destx

What's really disturbing is how blasé the cops seem while carrying out their beating. Business as usual.

What's really disturbing is how blasé the cops seem while carrying out their beating. Business as usual.

Beyond that, I'd say the tinge of fury that they seem to have during the assault just as disturbing. They're angry enough to make this guy who skipped a stop sign and took less than a minute to pull over bleed.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Lol, passively resisting. The dude is thrown to the fucking ground and not given ANY chance to put his hands behind his back. Then a choke hold is used against him when he is "actively resisting". Maybe due to the fact that he doesn't want to be choked to death.

A choke hold while being punched in the face over and over and over... I mean, all he's doing is feebly covering up with an arm which is how you typically handle being repeatedly punched in the face. What kind of idiot watches a video of a man trying to lessen repeated and unnecessary face punches and see a guy resisting arrest? Since when has strangulation and destroying someone's face been standard procedure when arresting someone? And why does someone who has history with planting evidence and falsifying police reports stay employed as a police officer?

Aselith

What kind of idiot watches a video of a man trying to lessen repeated and unnecessary face punches and see a guy resisting arrest?

The kind of idiot that defends cops without question in situations like this.

Why are 6 patrol cars responding to a blown stop sign?

He's on the PCP and actively resisting arrest of course you need backup. These guys and gals only respond to force.

ItIsOkBro

tl;dr don't do things a reasonably confused person would do, it could get you beat down.

Glad there is footage of this so the cops can't pretend someone else beat him. Fuck this shit, so glad I don't have to deal with this kind of behaviour.

Patrol

Banned

I understand that it can be hard to grasp, but when I yell continually at someone to relax their arms, or put their arms behind their back, or stop resisting, and they continue to TENSE their arms or pull away -- the use of force will gradually increase until compliance is gained. When you are taken to the ground, you do not all of a sudden lose control of your body and have "no chance to relax."
There is no point at which he is seen to physically resist. When he is dragged out of the car, he isn't even given a chance to put his hands behind his back before he is put into a chokehold, which has been known to, I don't know, kill people before.

He has no criminal record, he was not armed, he was not under the influence of drugs. Am I expected to believe, on the word of an officer previously investigated for planting evidence and making false statements, that he spontaneously said "I'll kill you!" when two cops approached him guns drawn?

Grabbing at the officer and potentially biting is physically resisting. The "choke-hold" is when pressure is applied to esophagus in an effort to gain control. It's against my department policy to use that (we use carotid control hold). It looked more like trying to gain control of his head, but I would have to look at the video more closely to judge.

The fact that the officer stated that he bit him or at least attempted explains the physically punching. However, if was bitten and he DIDN'T get medical attention or get CSI to take pictures... then that was quite the misstep on his end.

You don't screw around with bites, you always seek medical attention. Even if it didn't break the skin through the glove, you still want to photo and document it. That's an additional charge right there.

And THERE'S the problem. Training that says that a red flag in behavior is justification to draw guns and use physical force. No threat, physical or otherwise. No weapon. Just a 'red flag'.

That you don't see the problem there scares me more. The general public are not combatants.
When they show video after video of officers getting murdered by this sort of behavior, you have to understand that officer safety is huge here. 1, not pulling over -- what are they hiding? 2, getting out of the vehicle and then not showing hands -- what is he doing and why is he doing this? This goes against the grain of what is normally seen; it is abnormal. Such conduct makes the hair stand up on the neck.

He's on the PCP and actively resisting arrest of course you need backup. These guys and gals only respond to force.

Joke here being that he was already tested for drugs and was clean. No criminal record, either. Probably why our shitty media hasn't actually been talking about it. No way to color the narritive against the victim this time.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/...-suburban-Detroit-police-brutally-beating-man

While in the hospital, Floyd was forced to take drug tests, which all came back negative for drugs.

Of course, that doesn't stop resident apologists doing everything they can to plant seeds of doubt. Video taken from the POLICE PERSEPCTIVE isn't even enough, let alone civilian video footage.

"Piss? What are you talking about? That's the rain! That's not urine going directly into your eyes and mouth. It's raining outside. Don't you see those stormclouds?"

Joke here being that he was already tested for drugs and was clean. No criminal record, either. Probably why our shity media hasn't actually been talking about it. No way to color the narritive against the victim this time.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/...-suburban-Detroit-police-brutally-beating-man

Of course, that doesn't stop resident apologists doing everything they can to plant seeds of doubt. Video taken from the POLICE PERSEPCTIVE isn't even enough, let alone civilian video footage.

"Piss? What are you talking about? That's the rain! That's not urine going directly into your eyes and mouth. It's raining outside. Don't you see those stormclouds?"
Yup, Patrol's post was offensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom