• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man Drifts A Stop Sign; Is Choked, Tased & Beaten Savagely By Officers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found a bag of cocaine in his car, but dude has no criminal history and the officer was charged with planting evidence, although found not guilty.

Fucking Dave Chappelle was right.

This country, man.

Aselith

Grabbing at the officer and potentially biting is physically resisting. The "choke-hold" is when pressure is applied to esophagus in an effort to gain control. It's against my department policy to use that (we use carotid control hold). It looked more like trying to gain control of his head, but I would have to look at the video more closely to judge.

How does your department feel about punching someone in the face double digits times? Valid tactic?

I wonder what would have happened in this scenario if he were a 25 year old white women....

This won't be broadcast on any national news I'm sure....ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, just swept under the rug like every other bit of police brutality....kudos to the local news station for taking up the story. I hope he sues them for every penny, and where is the justice department on these happenings?!

Patrol

Banned
Yup, Patrol's post was offensive.
How so? is it not reasonable to ask if third party additives like alcohol and drugs were at play? It is routinely seen with combatives that they are under the influence of something, typically, especially when it takes a lot of force to gain compliance like multiple tasers, hands-on, OC, etc.

ffdgh

Video barely started and he's thrown to the ground > put into a choke hold > punched in the head multiple times > tasered multiple times...I can't even.

No_Style

Unironically so thankful we have technology to help expose this stuff.

If I had the know how, I'd assemble all that footage and create a montage with it all to Brooks & Dunn's Only In America.

Seriously, are these stories a weekly thing in America now?

Patrol

Banned
Please stop posting. You know absolutely nothing in this particular situation at all. You know nothing more than anyone else here yet you are conducting yourself as if you are an expert on this circumstance.

I never said I was an expert... I'm merely trying to have a reasonable discussion about this.

Please stop posting. You know absolutely nothing in this particular situation at all. You know nothing more than anyone else here yet you are conducting yourself as if you are an expert on this circumstance.

It's actually pretty important to see posts like Patrol's.

He/She is highlighting why there needs to be a systematic change in the way policing is done in this country. Every time he/she posts, it makes it very clear why things are the way they are and why they continue.

Even if it's pig disgusting and infuriating.

elfinke

The video/report at the dailykos website is unbelievable. It's just one thing after another ('evidence' found in the car, the punch-throwing police officer's history, the video of the assault itself, the endless stream of officers arriving on the scene).

The video might as well be from an alternate universe for how bizarre it all seems (viewing from my comfy, spider-ridden Aussie couch, here).

Beartruck

He probably was no angel though.

Yeah, the guy is kind of glossing over quite of bit that he did wrong. He did have a traffic violation, he did refuse to pull over initially, he did get out of his car without someone telling him to (A biiiig No-no in traffic stops), and he bit a cop at one point?

Granted, I'm not sure all of this deserves a savage beating, but using some common sense probably could have made this situation a lot less worse.

outsida

The shit is almost comical at this point. Like a scene from a bad Wayans Brother movie. And the let's sprinkle some Crack on him trick makes it all the more ridiculous.

guek

Banned
When they show video after video of officers getting murdered by this sort of behavior, you have to understand that officer safety is huge here. 1, not pulling over -- what are they hiding? 2, getting out of the vehicle and then not showing hands -- what is he doing and why is he doing this? This goes against the grain of what is normally seen; it is abnormal. Such conduct makes the hair stand up on the neck.

I have all the respect in the world for officers who put their lives at risk or die in the line of duty. I still don't give two shits about police being scared for their life if that's their justification for using escalating force in situations that don't clearly call for it. Those men and women should not be policemen. Police safety comes second to public safety, always. Any police officer not willing to die in the line of duty for the sake of public safety needs to find a new line of work. I sympathize with the stress and fear and have so much respect for people who can handle it because God knows I couldn't. Those men and women are true heroes, and justifying unnecessary police violence only besmirches the fine officers who work to protect the people.

I would like to say this is a far better article with a better, unedited video of the incident in question.

I understand that it can be hard to grasp, but when I yell continually at someone to relax their arms, or put their arms behind their back, or stop resisting, and they continue to TENSE their arms or pull away -- the use of force will gradually increase until compliance is gained. When you are taken to the ground, you do not all of a sudden lose control of your body and have "no chance to relax."

Look at the tape. Aside from opening the door, at what point did he do anything that warranted the behavior of the officers? The position that the choking officer puts him in even makes it more difficult for him to put his hands behind his back.

Grabbing at the officer and potentially biting is physically resisting. The "choke-hold" is when pressure is applied to esophagus in an effort to gain control. It's against my department policy to use that (we use carotid control hold). It looked more like trying to gain control of his head, but I would have to look at the video more closely to judge.

The fact that the officer stated that he bit him or at least attempted explains the physically punching. However, if was bitten and he DIDN'T get medical attention or get CSI to take pictures... then that was quite the misstep on his end.

You don't screw around with bites, you always seek medical attention. Even if it didn't break the skin through the glove, you still want to photo and document it. That's an additional charge right there..

I notice you didn't respond to the second part of that quote. Do you honestly, in your heart of hearts, believe what the officers are saying?

Detroit Free Press said:
According to police reports, Dent opened the driver's door, then turned his body toward the interior of the car and appeared to be reaching for something in the console. The police said they demanded to see his hands, but he just turned to them with a "blank stare as if on a form of narcotic" and then said, "I'll kill you."

No drugs in his system, no criminal record, no weapon, an officer previously investigated for planting evidence and making false statements. Sure, he was acquitted, but given how herculean a task it is for officers to even get indicted, forgive me if I don't assume he's innocent. Does this even sound credible?

How so? is it not reasonable to ask if third party additives like alcohol and drugs were at play? It is routinely seen with combatives that they are under the influence of something, typically, especially when it takes a lot of force to gain compliance like multiple tasers, hands-on, OC, etc.

I would like to see what was combative about his behavior besides fending for his life. If I believed I might be choked to death I would probably behave exactly as this man does.

Anyone else smell pork in here?

That isn't necessary...

Patrol

Banned
I never said that you said you were... I said that you are conducting yourself as if you are.

What a joke. You are being completely biased.
Of course I look at things from a different lens as you, which is why my opinions are shaped by my experiences and what I routinely see. I'm not on stand giving testimony man. Just trying to discuss the whole ordeal and shed some light from the other side.

Derwind

I understand that it can be hard to grasp, but when I yell continually at someone to relax their arms, or put their arms behind their back, or stop resisting, and they continue to TENSE their arms or pull away -- the use of force will gradually increase until compliance is gained. When you are taken to the ground, you do not all of a sudden lose control of your body and have "no chance to relax."

When you conduct yourself in a manner that escalates any encounter straight to a life and death struggle, with very narrow wiggle room in your training involving use of force, while restricting the ability of the second party to respond to your orders and negligently endanger the lives of the people you purport to serve.

You are not seeking compliance. You're seeking dominance.

Don't hide behind semantics here. You seek no compliance.

Seemed like he was on drugs, stared at them blankly, he bit, feared for their lives, etc etc

You could play a bingo game with this rhetoric

Nephtis

I can't wait to see that police station sued to all hell and those cops not just fired, but arrested for false imprisonment and planting false evidence.

I'm not gonna hold my breath.

But if it happens, I'm gonna open this expensive bottle of whiskey I've been saving for a special occasion and celebrating.

Yeah, the guy is kind of glossing over quite of bit that he did wrong. He did have a traffic violation, he did refuse to pull over initially, he did get out of his car without someone telling him to (A biiiig No-no in traffic stops), and he bit a cop at one point?

Granted, I'm not sure all of this deserves a savage beating, but using some common sense probably could have made this situation a lot less worse.

Is what I said wrong? I agree, this was a savage attack by police, but the victim's not a saint, just a guy who made a mistake and was waaaay disproportionally punished for it.

I agree, he is not a saint, in as much as he has not been made one by the Catholic Church. He behaved as innocuously as you could in this situation.

He refused to pull over initially? He drove at the same steady speed for a few blocks before pulling over. Was it illegal for him to do that? It's clearly on tape, what's the charge?

He "bit" a cop, a claim for which there is no physical evidence, only the word of a very suspect officer. Even if he did bite the cop, it was because he was afraid that he was going to be choked to death. And the "biting" didn't occur until after the police began using excessive force.

The only mistake I would say he made is that he opened his door without the officers asking him to. That does not excuse anything that the officers did in this tape, and it doesn't prevent my bullshit detector from going off at the officers' allegations.

jblank83

Was he told to get out of the car? That's a big no no, especially when driving while black.

When pulled over you're supposed to wait in your car, and not open the door, yes. I know this. I thought everyone did. I believe it was in the DMV handbook.

Anyway, that was pretty terrible. He got out of the car and went right to the ground. I assume he was following their orders when they started shouting and pointing guns at him. There was no reason for them to jump on him.

Derwind

Is what I said wrong? I agree, this was a savage attack by police, but the victim's not a saint, just a guy who made a mistake and was waaaay disproportionally punished for it.

This is completely irrelevant. He could be a con artist tele-fraudster taking seniors pension money and eating baby kittens for breakfest.

That is secondary when police misconduct comes into play and abuse of power.

Because that shit affects everyone.

If an officer has no restraint training when dealing with the public, the officer should lose his/her job. Period.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Dude wasn't even combative. If you're choking the fucking life out of me, hell yes I'm going to try and grab the arm that's around my neck. Then you start punching the fuck out of me? The officer trying to cuff my other arm can forget that, because I need it to block the blows he's raining down upon me.

Look at the video, on the ground, all of Dent's physical actions were of one trying to defend himself from a brutal assault.

This incident has it all:

1. Black man driving nice car through a "high crime area". Must be drug dealer.
2. Pulled over for bullshit reason
3. Excessive force and beating
4. Drugs turn up out of nowhere
5. Cop with shady history
6. Black man end up with clean record and no drug use

Did I miss any? I mean holy fuck.

edit- oh wait

7. Officers were "defending themselves"
8. "Don't worry we'll run an internal investigation."

Aselith

Patrol, you never answered me, man. How does your department feel about punching a man in the head double digit times?

This doesn't mesh with a common sense understanding of human nature, when it's not just being taken to ground, but also being struck and placed in a choke hold. A lot of people aren't going to relax when they get beaten up and lose supply to their airway--escalating force or pressure at this point should not be the sole answer in a police officer's mind.

First, there's no evidence of any bites outside of the testimony of a dubious party with a sketchy history. Secondly, the carotid control hold is a dangerous--potentially fatal--technique if misapplied. In practice, within a controlled environment, and used on an individual in good health, its proper use should be safe, but even in the hands of a martial arts expert, I would be concerned about its application on myself. Is it really best policy to promote its use by a body of professionals with a varying degree of competency in this technique? Especially given the unpredictable nature of street engagements where a fatal slip in technique could occur?

Beartruck

New rule, from now on I'm staying out of cop threads around here. I mean, Christ, I agree with you guys, that officer is a monster and should be kicked off the force! I was just arguing that things might have gone better if he didn't do things which tend to escalate these situations. Granted, this cop was a dick so this probably would've happened anyway, I just wish it didn't.

Also:
The charges were dropped, so yes it was wrong. He was/has not been charged with anything yet and has no criminal record. Funny how you so quickly assume that he was in the immediate wrong. Why would you assume that? Got something you want to say to the class?

I didn't ask if it was wrong(it clearly is), I was asking if what I said was wrong, which kind of invalidates the entire rest of your statement. Also, really resent the implication at the end. Jumping to angry conclusions is the kind of behavior this cop used, don't stoop to the same level.

Newt

Definitely police brutality here, but the man opening the car door is kinda strange. Did the officers instruct him to do so? I can't tell from the video.

Also, biting the officer...

Either way, the internal investigation should clear up what really happened.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
what sucks is if the crack possession charge somehow sticks, he will most likely lose his job of 37 years.

what a clusterfuck. they need to pay this man enough to retire and live out his days without fear.

Blatant assault. How can people say that much force is needed to subdue a man not resisting? Of course extra force is needed on the blacks cuz they're soooo unpredictable right? Pathetic. A bunch of punches in the head as well while he's already being choked? (I call bullshit on the bite btw).Fucking despicable. On top of the fact one of the cops was already accused of planting evidence, and crack just so happened to be discovered in the car of a man who doesn't even have a record...

Shit is just fucking infuriating.

Beartruck

What you said was wrong, which is what I was replying to with my statement. Oh please, you were clearly blaming the victim in this situation. His actions were not in the wrong. This was proven as a result of all charges relating to his actions being dropped. I'm not jumping to an "angry conclusion", I'm jumping to a logical one.

Why would you assume that? Got something you want to say to the class?

Apparently the above counts as logical and not angry.

Apparently the above counts as logical and not angry.

I don't know if it was your intent or otherwise, but what you did here in your first post is victim blaming.

Just because you add a disclaimer at the end that says you don't feel his "mistakes" (many of which were unsubstantiated) warranted him being beaten, the first part of your post and the second about "common sense" don't paint you as someone who's really interested in advocating on behalf of the victim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom