• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man Drifts A Stop Sign; Is Choked, Tased & Beaten Savagely By Officers

Status
Not open for further replies.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Termination isn't enough, for me, when he planted drugs which can literally leave the victim's life in ruins. He should be prosecuted.

GhaleonEB

Termination isn't enough, for me, when he planted drugs which can literally leave the victim's life in ruins. He should be prosecuted.

I agree, but it's a good first step. At the least, he's not being shielded from consequences; I've come to anticipate paid leave in situations like this.

I went back and read the OP again and I didn't see anything about planted drugs. When did that happen?

This vid: http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/violent-inkster-arrest-did-officer-plant-evidence/32014270
Combined with his history: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/...-Bill-Robocop-Melendez-still-a-police-officer

DailyKos said:
Bill Melendez is notorious in Detroit. In 2003, after a year-long joint investigation between the FBI and Detroit Police Department, Bill Melendez was indicted for corruption, falsifying police reports, and planting drugs/guns on suspects who had been illegally arrested. In the indictment, Melendez, nicknamed "Robocop" for his bodybuilding and excessive use of force, wasn't listed as a bit player, but as the ringleader and driving force behind the corruption.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I know this happened a few days ago, but I don't think people realize that when an officer is 'suspended with pay' - it's not like they are getting an all expense paid trip to cuba or something. They are often under house arrest or the equivalent, and are being investigated by IA. If nothing turns up, then they're back to work because... well nothing turned up. If something turns up then they are fired.

We can talk about corruption in the investigation process or whatever, but the actual act of being suspended with pay isn't even a little offensive to me, and I think it's offensive to other people because they don't really understand what it means.

YoungHav

Banned
I know this happened a few days ago, but I don't think people realize that when an officer is 'suspended with pay' - it's not like they are getting an all expense paid trip to cuba or something. They are often under house arrest or the equivalent, and are being investigated by IA. If nothing turns up, then they're back to work because... well nothing turned up. If something turns up then they are fired.

We can talk about corruption in the investigation process or whatever, but the actual act of being suspended with pay isn't even a little offensive to me, and I think it's offensive to other people because they don't really understand what it means.
I'm not familiar with the penal system but if I were under house arrest could I use the internet, play videogames or make phone calls?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

In Canada or the USA?

Also how the fuck was he not fired and put in jail after that 2003 investigation?

jmood88

Oh no, they have to go home!

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I'm not familiar with the penal system but if I were under house arrest could I use the internet, play videogames or make phone calls?

In Canada or the USA?

Also how the fuck was he not fired and put in jail after that 2003 investigation?

Oh no, they have to go home!

So, there isn't a lot of info on the internet about suspension with pay and what it entails, and i imagine it's different from place to place - but as far as I understand it usually involves you of course having no gun or badge, and not working as an officer. During an investigation, I hope, people can understand why this happens - yes?

Then you have the whole pay thing... well, when you are being investigated, these things often take multiple months - if you were suspended -without- pay, you would be fucked so of course they need to keep paying you while this happens.

And depending on the reason for suspension and possible repercussions, some places in north america (again, as far as I understand this is from talking to an officer) will even take your passport away, so you can't travel and if you leave your home you need to notify someone where you're going what time you're leaving and when you'll be back. You have to be available 24/7 to answer phone calls from the police and go in for questioning and again depending on the location, there are a lot of things you can't do - and they'll even monitor your purchases to see if you're buying booze or other things that are no-nos.

It's not a breezy walk in the park, and it is a legitimate practice if we want to maintain an innocent until proven guilty mindset.

jmood88

Meanwhile, the police get to decide to kill/severely maim someone before they're determined if they're guilty. Therefore, I will not weep for the poor police officer whose punishment after an unjustified beating or killing is to get paid while sitting at home for a few weeks/months.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Meanwhile, the police get to decide to kill/severely maim someone before they're determined if they're guilty. Therefore, I will not weep for the poor police officer whose punishment after an unjustified beating or killing is to get paid while sitting at home for a few weeks/months.

1. Not every officer put on paid leave is guilty of whatever they have been accused of, we can agree on that yes?

2. No one is asking you to weep for them, at least I don't think so - I'm simply trying to make sure people understand -why- there is paid leave and why it makes sense.

methane47

In+bizarro+world+would+have+been+better+had+it+been_617f63_5328635.gif

no words

Aselith

The problem with firing the guy is that he'll just land somewhere else. If you look at these stories about bad cops, they just keep turning up like a bad penny. Yeah, I got fired for negligence and suspicion of corruption but there's a department a few states over or a few TOWNS over that will take me.

The problem with firing the guy is that he'll just land somewhere else. If you look at these stories about bad cops, they just keep turning up like a bad penny. Yeah, I got fired for negligence and suspicion of corruption but there's a department a few states over or a few TOWNS over that will take me.

I remember hearing that Darren Wilson used to be part of a police department that ended up being dismantled over misconduct and racial profiling. Funny what's happening right now to his current one...

Aaron

I remember hearing that Darren Wilson used to be part of a police department that ended up being dismantled over misconduct and racial profiling. Funny what's happening right now to his current one...
Nearly all of the cops in these instances are found to be serial offenders, usually having left a previous posting in another state under shady circumstances. They're basically pedophile priests, though the government isn't shuffling them around like the Catholic Church did. It's just putting a blind eye to their records.

roknin

That, when you really think about it, is the truly frightening part. Someone saw this cop's rep, and shrugged it off.

What kind of police force WANTS that kind of cop? Why are they even considered for rehire or being hired at another station?

The potential answers there chill me to the bone.

Officers refused Dent any medical attention.

“I'm just sittin there, and everyone is just looking at me like I'm a circus clown,” he said, recalling the experience. “[I’m] bleeding like a hog, and then they put me in the jail cell.”

Tomorrow at 11:00 AM there is going to be a press conference providing news on Dent's cocaine charge and Melendez's potential criminal charges. I am going to pray for justice tonight.

Jesus Christ I feel sick. I hope to god the PD doesn't worm a way for Melendez or any other officers to get away with this

According to that video, Melendez is trying to get a job in a neighboring town, and the residents are understandably opposed.

Rotten system

You know, as horrible as we all know that it would be, a privatized police force that actually fired and blackballed their employees for shit like this would be worth all of the bad that came with it. Even if they kept doing all of the other horrible shit that is currently being done today.

Good officers are little more than cover for the monsters that we are seeing in these videos. Even if they outnumber them 100 times, their inaction at the best of times and protection of murderers at the worst is their legacy.

With the speed in which they stick up for murderers in uniform compared with the speed in which they assume the guilt of the citizenry has earned them every bit of scorn that they are receiving. When they decide that sending union leaders to the press to tell people that cops can kill and maim if they are scared and that we should all feel safer because of it, then maybe they can believe themselves heroes again.

Until then, I am glad that they only receive negative coverage, these days. All that anyone can do is hope that they at least feel some shame, at some point. That is all they face. They barely face consequences of any other kind. The only people in this country more protected them them in every way are people like Peter King who feel safer when they hurt and kill people.

Looks like any charges against Dent were dropped and Melendez has been charged. For once an outcome that doesn't make my head spin. No word on the sprinkling of the crack though but I'm just happy Dent isn't going to jail for being beaten.

Charges against Floyd Dent dismissed, Inkster officer charged with assault

Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy announced Monday that Inkster police officer William Melendez has been charged with two counts of assault to do great bodily harm after the beating of Floyd Dent in a January arrest.

The previous charges against Dent have been dismissed, Worthy said.

Melendez is also charged with mistreatment of a prisoner and misconduct in office. Local 4 Defenders released a video Sunday that showed officers stripping Dent and searching him while he was being held in jail.

Assault to do great bodily harm is a 10-year felony, while mistreatment of a prisoner and misconduct in office are each five-year felonies.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...inkster-officer-charged-with-assault/32463128

This is just ridiculous. He said, "I'll kill you"? REALLY OFFICERS?

SPRINKLED CRACK COCAINE TOO?

Oh and he bit you? SHOW ME THE FUCKING BITE MARKS, BITCH.

Good officers, please expunge these people from your fucking ranks. Fucking disgusting.

Looks like any charges against Dent were dropped and Melendez has been charged. For once an outcome that doesn't make my head spin. No word on the sprinkling of the crack though but I'm just happy Dent isn't going to jail for being beaten.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...inkster-officer-charged-with-assault/32463128

good, but he needs to go to jail. I look forward to hearing of his civil suit. He needs to get paid. If the city of Inkster are the kinds of officers they're okay with employing, I hope they're okay with paying out the ass for all the ill shit they're doing.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
David Lee, Melendez's attorney, has said he hopes people will keep an open mind in the case and wait for the facts to come out. He had not yet reviewed material in the case Thursday afternoon and maintains the assault charge is excessive.
The official GAF Police murder/brutality line.

There's so many of these cases I've been waiting for updates on it's hard to keep track. Glad this one went better than most of the others do.

marrec

Banned
William 'Robocop' Melendez found guilty on 2 counts. Bail revoked.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...melendez-michigan-ex-cop-found-guilty-n466471

News Story said:
Melendez did not speak after the verdict, but his wife stormed out of the courtroom, prompting the judge to stop the proceedings and call her back.

"Don't do my courtroom like that!" Wayne Circuit Court Judge Vonda Evans scolded her.

"For you to storm out like you are a kid is unacceptable," the judge added, before permitting her to leave.

lol, get em judge

opoth

Banned
If only these officers had gotten on stage at a death metal concert afterwards, there'd be some recourse for firing them.

EDIT: So much for not reading the whole thread. Good deal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom