• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man Drifts A Stop Sign; Is Choked, Tased & Beaten Savagely By Officers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fucking disgusting. I can't even wrap my head around this anymore. With all the police brutality incidents lately, with the officers past charge of making fraudulent arrests and planting evidence, with VIDEOTAPE of them beating a man who DID NOTHING, and they still refuse to acknowledge any wrong doing. They might as well hang a sign outside the station that says-

WE DONT GIVE A FUCK ABOUT PEOPLES RIGHTS

Hey, where is that black kid who basically said: "I was stopped by police for using the medium illegally and I complied and came out okay". What's he gotta say about this situation? If he had his ass beaten during his encounter would he make that video? No. But shit happens to other people and he still makes that video.

Aselith

Hey, where is that black kid who basically said: "I was stopped by police for using the medium illegally and I complied and came out okay". What's he gotta say about this situation? If he had his ass beaten during his encounter would he make that video? No. But shit happens to other people and he still makes that video.

I'm wondering what Ja thinks personally.

OK I don't mean to thread shit but I have to wonder why threads like this get posted so often? Cases like these are in the slim minority. I understand that's a tragedy, but doesn't it get discussed to death?

Not asking for these to stop being made, but I'm just curious.

Log4Girlz

OK I don't mean to thread shit but I have to wonder why threads like this get posted so often? Cases like these are in the slim minority. I understand that's a tragedy, but doesn't it get discussed to death?

Because they happen far too often

Log4Girlz

These cases are more than likely uncommon. Thousands of officers do their jobs correctly everyday.

Doesn't discount the outrage when they severely abuse their power, which again, happens far, far too often and is more than likely heavily under-reported. We're not going to contribute to the blue wall of silence and pretend these things do not happen and are not outrages.

wildfire

Banned
These cases are more than likely uncommon. Thousands of officers do their jobs correctly everyday.

For some people their lives are very similar to those within the Ferguson community. It would be nice to be able to move the conversation to how many local communities on average are unfairly impacted like this but that isn't within our power without some strong leadership and a successful kickstarter.

Doesn't discount the outrage when they severely abuse their power, which again, happens far, far too often and is more than likely heavily under-reported. We're not going to contribute to the blue wall of silence and pretend these things do not happen and are not outrages.

Can I ask how you know this type of thing happens too often? Like I said, the vast majority of officers do their jobs the right way. It's only when they do it wrong that we notice.

If no one hears about it then it continues uncontested. Already, even with the news that has come out lately, the cops at the center of these cases rarely get punished for actions that as citizens we should be shaking in our boots about. In the US, police are the central authority allowed to arrest and even kill civilians. If someone fucks up royally at that job I'd rather know about it than ignore it. Until events like this are addressed in any real way by politicians or police, the articles will continue.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

Really? You have to wonder why these threads are posted?

Is this a serious question?

No? Is there a way you can prove that police brutality happens "too often"? I'm willing to wager that it's less than <.01%. Again, not saying that it isn't tragic, but these cases definitely do not happen very often.

Really? You have to wonder why these threads are posted?

I wish we could just discuss. I don't know what you mean exactly. I understand that the world sucks, but terrible things happen every day.

I'm really regretting saying anything.

Aselith

Can I ask how you know this type of thing happens too often? Like I said, the vast majority of officers do their jobs the right way. It's only when they do it wrong that we notice.

People (weirdly) get upset when officers abust their power and kill/maim people they're supposed to protect. Weird I know but we live in a crazy world.

Log4Girlz

No? Is there a way you can prove that police brutality happens "too often"? I'm willing to wager that it's less than <.01%. Again, not saying that it isn't tragic, but these cases definitely do not happen very often.

http://www.naacp.org/pages/criminal-justice-fact-sheet

Eightbitnate. Explain to me how many beatings of minorities you are okay with. How many killings of minorities you are okay with in a given year. Let's go with some statistics of incarceration.

"Incarceration Trends in America
From 1980 to 2008, the number of people incarcerated in America quadrupled-from roughly 500,000 to 2.3 million people
Today, the US is 5% of the World population and has 25% of world prisoners.
Combining the number of people in prison and jail with those under parole or probation supervision, 1 in ever y 31 adults, or 3.2 percent of the population is under some form of correctional control

Racial Disparities in Incarceration
African Americans now constitute nearly 1 million of the total 2.3 million incarcerated population
African Americans are incarcerated at nearly six times the rate of whites
Together, African American and Hispanics comprised 58% of all prisoners in 2008, even though African Americans and Hispanics make up approximately one quarter of the US population
According to Unlocking America, if African American and Hispanics were incarcerated at the same rates of whites, today's prison and jail populations would decline by approximately 50%
One in six black men had been incarcerated as of 2001. If current trends continue, one in three black males born today can expect to spend time in prison during his lifetime
1 in 100 African American women are in prison
Nationwide, African-Americans represent 26% of juvenile arrests, 44% of youth who are detained, 46% of the youth who are judicially waived to criminal court, and 58% of the youth admitted to state prisons (Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice).

Drug Sentencing Disparities
About 14 million Whites and 2.6 million African Americans report using an illicit drug
5 times as many Whites are using drugs as African Americans, yet African Americans are sent to prison for drug offenses at 10 times the rate of Whites
African Americans represent 12% of the total population of drug users, but 38% of those arrested for drug offenses, and 59% of those in state prison for a drug offense.
African Americans serve virtually as much time in prison for a drug offense (58.7 months) as whites do for a violent offense (61.7 months). (Sentencing Project)"

Explain which of these statistics you are fine living with since police in your estimation are doing a proper job. Please tell me just what percentage of minorities you would like to see in prison. People have been complaining for decades of abuse of power, severe beatings and cover ups. Do you doubt this considering the nature of the statistics we currently have?

http://www.naacp.org/pages/criminal-justice-fact-sheet

Eightbitnate. Explain to me how many beatings of minorities you are okay with. How many killings of minorities you are okay with in a given year.

"Incarceration Trends in America
From 1980 to 2008, the number of people incarcerated in America quadrupled-from roughly 500,000 to 2.3 million people
Today, the US is 5% of the World population and has 25% of world prisoners.
Combining the number of people in prison and jail with those under parole or probation supervision, 1 in ever y 31 adults, or 3.2 percent of the population is under some form of correctional control

Racial Disparities in Incarceration
African Americans now constitute nearly 1 million of the total 2.3 million incarcerated population
African Americans are incarcerated at nearly six times the rate of whites
Together, African American and Hispanics comprised 58% of all prisoners in 2008, even though African Americans and Hispanics make up approximately one quarter of the US population
According to Unlocking America, if African American and Hispanics were incarcerated at the same rates of whites, today's prison and jail populations would decline by approximately 50%
One in six black men had been incarcerated as of 2001. If current trends continue, one in three black males born today can expect to spend time in prison during his lifetime
1 in 100 African American women are in prison
Nationwide, African-Americans represent 26% of juvenile arrests, 44% of youth who are detained, 46% of the youth who are judicially waived to criminal court, and 58% of the youth admitted to state prisons (Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice).

Drug Sentencing Disparities
About 14 million Whites and 2.6 million African Americans report using an illicit drug
5 times as many Whites are using drugs as African Americans, yet African Americans are sent to prison for drug offenses at 10 times the rate of Whites
African Americans represent 12% of the total population of drug users, but 38% of those arrested for drug offenses, and 59% of those in state prison for a drug offense.
African Americans serve virtually as much time in prison for a drug offense (58.7 months) as whites do for a violent offense (61.7 months). (Sentencing Project)"

Explain which of these statistics you are fine living with since police in your estimation are doing a proper job.

What? When did I say anything even resembling that I was ok with that?

And I'm specifically talking about brutality in relation to arrests. Officers who go a step too far when apprehending an offender. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Aselith

I wish we could just discuss. I don't know what you mean exactly. I understand that the world sucks, but terrible things happen every day.

I'm really regretting saying anything.

This is not some unstoppable force of nature like a hurricane. It's public servants using their power to kill and hurt people they're supposed to be protecting.

Log4Girlz

And I'm specifically talking about brutality in relation to arrests. Officers who go a step too far when apprehending an offender. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Like I just said, minorities have been complaining for DECADES of systematic police abuse which is covered up constantly. Do those statistics I linked not imply incredibly heavily that minorities, disproportionately african americans are being targeted regularly for incarceration? Do you doubt people's outrage? Are you confused that so many incidents are occurring now that we have cell phone cameras? Is that like some strange coincidence in your world?

For the sake of argument, let's say it is less than .1%. Are you fine with the continual non-punishment of those that are responsible? Do you think it would be better to just ignore it and let people who use their authority to harm the people they're meant to protect continue? I'm not really sure what you're trying to get at.

Aselith

What was the gentleman in this video specifically being arrested for? Throwing his face at the officer's hand? It was a routine traffic stop and he got his ass beat for it.

Like I just said, minorities have been complaining for DECADES of systematic police abuse which is covered up constantly. Do those statistics I linked not imply incredibly heavily that minorities, disproportionately african americans are being targeted regularly for incarceration? Do you doubt people's outrage? Are you confused that so many incidents are occurring now that we have cell phone cameras? Is that like some strange coincidence in your world?

I think you're playing up the pathos of your argument too much. I'm just saying it almost feels like there's an agenda (sorry I didn't want to say it) being pushed with how often threads about white officers arresting blacks using unjustified get posted here.

I'm not trying to lessen the severity of these actions in the slighest. I just think these threads are disproportional in relation to similar threads.

And, if I can say it again, I'm not trying to sweep it under the rug or something as some of you are implying. What I'm saying is: on GAF, these threads get posted more often than other news stories do. And the discussion hardly changes.

Log4Girlz

Who knows how many people get the shit beaten out of them or are murdered out right. Its the blue wall of silence, his word vs. whatever witnesses may have been around. I mean some people who come forward with video are afraid for their safety. Its no coincidence that there has been a huge flare up of coverage now that everyone has a cell phone. And what have they tried to do in the past? Make it a crime to record. Gee. I wonder why that is. Utterly disgusting. I'm shocked you would question this Eightbit. One incidence should be enough for riots. Just look at how many european nations deal with just one police killing.

I think you're playing up the pathos of your argument too much. I'm just saying it almost feels like there's an agenda (sorry I didn't want to say it) being pushed with how often threads about white officers arresting blacks using unjustified get posted here.

I'm not trying to lessen the severity of these actions in the slighest. I just think these threads are disproportional in relation to similar threads.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. There is an agenda. To share with the world the abuses that minorities have been claiming occur constantly for decades that we now have solid evidence for. You have a problem with this. I believe you are part of the problem that allows abuses to thrive. For shame.

Enzom21

And, if I can say it again, I'm not trying to sweep it under the rug or something as some of you are implying. What I'm saying is: on GAF, these threads get posted more often than other news stories do. And the discussion hardly changes.

What agenda would that be?

Who knows how many people get the shit beaten out of them or are murdered out right. Its the blue wall of silence, his word vs. whatever witnesses may have been around. I mean some people who come forward with video are afraid for their safety. Its no coincidence that there has been a huge flare up of coverage now that everyone has a cell phone. And what have they tried to do in the past? Make it a crime to record. Gee. I wonder why that is. Utterly disgusting. I'm shocked you would question this Eightbit. One incidence should be enough for riots. Just look at how many european nations deal with just one police killing.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. There is an agenda. To share with the world the abuses that minorities have been claiming occur constantly to the world. You have a problem with this. I believe you are part of the problem that allows abuses to thrive. For shame.

I don't know what else I can say but you seem to be fighting the straw man here, guy. I'm a minority. I completely empathize with cases like this.

What agenda would that be?

That police officers aren't to be trusted

Log4Girlz

I don't know what else I can say but you seem to be fighting the straw man here, guy. I'm a minority. I completely empathize with cases like this.

Then why do you come in questioning why these threads are made? What problem exactly do you have with us sharing how our police force is regularly abusing its citizens when they are supposed to protect and serve? Explain that to me. What exactly do you want? Do you want these threads locked? Do you want people to stop discussing police abuses? How many murders are you okay with not discussing as you feel most cops are just doing their job properly incarcerating the majority of african americans? I'm genuinely curious.

Then why do you come in questioning why these threads are made? What problem exactly do you have with us sharing how our police force is regularly abusing its citizens when they are supposed to protect and serve? Explain that to me. What exactly do you want? Do you want these threads locked? Do you want people to stop discussing police abuses? How many murders are you okay with not discussing as you feel most cops are just doing their job properly incarcerating the majority of african americans? I'm genuinely curious.

This part is untrue.

And I never asked for the thread to be locked. I came in expecting a discussion.

Log4Girlz

This part is untrue.

And I never asked for the thread to be locked. I came in expecting a discussion.

There is no discussion to be had from my point of view. I mean, its ludicrous to question the creation of these threads. I'll tell you exactly how often we should report on the regular police abuses. Every single time. Just one example of abuse is too much.

And you think the bolded isn't true? Boy, all those people who've complained of police abuse must be lying. Most police are just doing their jobs properly as you've said. So you're okay with the incarceration rates of african americans, because think about it, for it to be that high, police in your estimation must be doing their jobs correctly. Its just so weird that suddenly now that people have cell phones we're seeing a huge number of examples of beatings and outright killings by the police.

Resilient

....wow.

I've read your back and fourth with Log4Girlz. Bottom line is that it happening once is far, far too often. These threads need to be made. So that everybody can see this is still an issue, including people outside the U.S.

OK on the basis of not wanting to get banned, I'm going to stop posting now. It was nice discussing with you gentlemen. I've learned a lot.

They're disproportional because the dis-proportionality actually exists in the way police do business and has existed for a long time:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/11/18/ferguson-black-arrest-rates/19043207/

http://mic.com/articles/84981/disturbing-study-proves-that-cops-view-black-children-differently

I wish it weren't that way but I imagine a country built by enslaving and mistreating African-Americans for centuries might still have some bias not long after they gain "equality".

After multiple innocent black individuals from the age of 7 to 43 within just the last year leaving alone 2015 all the way to an entire city of individuals being squeezed by their own PD unfairly for profit while insulting the race of the citizenry and so few of the offending police actually being punished despite taking and destroying lives, I wonder why there'd be no trust.

Log4Girlz

For anyone else also wondering about the sudden explosion in the posting of these kind of new stories, let me put it this way. These events of police abuse are not happening more often. They are simply being recorded more often. Who knows how many times they occur. Minorities have been complaining for decades of rampant physical abuse and racially motivated arrests. The statistics do not lie. African Americans are being targeted for arrests, even when Whites are as likely if not more likely to have committed specific kinds of crimes in an area.

We had what, like 75% of the entire population of Ferguson with an outstanding warrant? Come now. This is not the time to be quiet. This is the time to bring to light what few cases we actually have evidence for, to show our fellow Americans and the World exactly what has been going on for decades. No, I wouldn't trust our police force as far as I could throw them.

Enzom21

Where are you getting that from? These stories are very real and have been happening to minorities for decades, do you think they are made up?
I know and have worked with plenty of LEOs, my mother works for the Sheriff's department and I don't trust LEOs at all. As a black man I learned a long time ago not to trust LEOs, from my mother telling me about all the racists deputies, her black lieutenant telling me at 12 what I should and shouldn't do when I encounter LEOs, the two different cops calling me a nigger when I was a teenager, constantly being pulled over because I live in a predominantly white neighbor and have a new truck, etc.

There is already major distrust of LEOs, and these stories do nothing more than highlight the problem for people who do not experience it. Do you not want these stories posted?

OK on the basis of not wanting to get banned, I'm going to stop posting now. It was nice discussing with you gentlemen. I've learned a lot.

Cut and run when people call you on your bullshit huh?
Have you learned anything?

KingK

This part is untrue.

ok, so you're essentially using the "one bad apple" argument, right?

First of all, I've got a bridge to sell you if you think even a tiny fraction of police abuses are reported in the media. Cops don't just carry around drugs to plant on (black) people if it's not something they have regularly done in the past. There's just no way to know for certain how widespread this behavior is within departments because the so called "good cops" will never. ever. turn in their own and there's usually no camera, just a cop's word. Snitching on fellow officers is seen as a worse offence than beating/killing/planting evidence on people in police culture. And if a truly good cop does stand up to other cops, he gets ostracized from the rest and can kiss career advancement goodbye.

Also, if you've read the Ferguson report from the justice department, you'd see civil rights abuses and racial targeting were a feature of the department, not a lone bad apple who none of the others knew about. I'd feel pretty confident that if the justice department did a review of every police force in the country, Ferguson would seem more like the norm than an exception.

The reason people highlight and raise awareness of these cases whenever there's hard evidence of wrongdoing is to raise public awareness that this shit goes on, these are just the ones we know about, and that things need to change because it's not fucking acceptable.

Hope he's terminated.

Also, wtf happened to Stinkles

If he goes down, they would also need to terminate and held liable the rest of the officers involved in the beating as well, they participated in it and also obstructed justice by not testifying against him for plating evidence, so I see very little chance of them actually proceeding any further.

Also the fact that he had been fired for the same practices in the past and that this department is condoning what he did is bloody disgusting, I don't even know why are people like him allowed to get a job in the police after getting caught red-handed planting evidence on innocent people.

Holy crap! I hadn't seen this before. That is positively scandalous, the entire city government should be nuked and started from scratch.
I would not have thought that was possible:
That may seem like hyperbole, but it is a literal fact. In Ferguson -- a city with a population of 21,000 -- 16,000 people have outstanding arrest warrants, meaning that they are currently actively wanted by the police.

This part is untrue.

You sure you were expecting a discussion? Instead of adding to the conversation, it seemed like you tried to call into question the need to even have the conversation.

Aselith

So planting evidence and beating an unarmed 57 year old man gets you 5 days paid vacation?

Such a damn joke.

That's department policy, bro. If anything, he's have been fired if he DIDN'T do it. Can't have people breaking protocol although some bad apples do.

PopeReal

This is one of the more pathetic posts I have seen.

You came in here thread whining and downplaying police brutality and left with your tail between your legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom