• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

Zabka

...and why can't you show him Superman? Stating one film is dated and the others are not is pretty flawed.

You can show a child anything. I'm talking about the over ninety percent of them who are only interested in what is current and their friends are interested in.

I could show a kid Superman but he'd be bored out of his mind. They might have fun with 2 or 3.

SimleuqiR

You called the movie "so special" and unlike anything you've ever seen. Why can't he have an opinion of the movie that's on the other end of hyperbole?

tumblr_mokyfhIPPj1svs9s1o1_500.gif

It sounds like you read through posts of those who hated the movie and just restated them in bullet point form.

You called the movie "so special" and unlike anything you've ever seen. Why can't he have an opinion of the movie that's on the other end of hyperbole?

I can accept that not everyone must love the movie to death.

I just felt that post was contrived. Like hey Ill summarize what all the people who hated the movie are saying.

I'm sorry. I do not expect everyone to have a religious experience like I did.

It sounds like you read through posts of those who hated the movie and just restated them in bullet point form.

I avoided this thread because I wanted to see the movie first.

But it's funny if my criticisms are consistent with other peoples. Maybe we have a point.

I just felt that post was contrived. Like hey Ill summarize what all the people who hated the movie are saying.

Contrived? lol that's rich coming from someone defending this insulting piece of dreck that's been foisted on the public.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
When were you born? 1980 here.

I re-watched the first 3 Supes movies on HBO Go last month, and I also thought they aged badly. I don't know if I would've enjoyed any of them if I hadn't grown up watching them. I mean, the movie weren't "bad" , but I was kinda bored watching them.

I was born in 1990 and when I was a kid I LOVED the original movies. However watching them now? Yeah, they've aged badly and I just question how the hell I liked these movies so much when I was a kid. I can still get some enjoyment watching them now, but to be honest I think that's mostly the nostalgia. If I watched Superman 1 and 2 for the first time today I have a hard time believing I'd like them much at all. My nostalgia might not be from when they first came out, but the nostalgia is still there. I think the issue with this is not just that the films are dated, but also that they're much more suited to kids than adults.

jett

D-Member
Heh, it cost me twenty dollars to see it last night and I was kind of enjoying it at the time. But now, in the next day when all of that action fades away a bit, you really do realize how little of anything else there was in the film. Can't say I'm interested in spending another 15-10 dollars on it again.

The fact of the matter is that this is a movie I wish was better than it is. Hell, I wish it was good. But no matter how much I wish it was, it's not. RLM reminded me how utterly BORED I was during the first half of the movie. All that Krypton shit is just noise, Rich is 100% right that simpler would have been better, and the attempts at creating an emotional connection didn't hit with me a tall. I honestly never cared about anything that happened. In the end, I think MoS is just wasted potential. The concept of it being a first contact story is good, but the execution is just complete crap on that end.

Maybe because there's truth to what he said.

I avoided this thread because I wanted to see the movie first.

But it's funny if my criticisms are consistent with other peoples. Maybe we have a point.

Except Cavill is not wooden. My god he showed more emotion than any other Superman to date.

Its claims like this that kind of invalidate your thoughts.

The fact of the matter is that this is a movie I wish was better than it is. Hell, I wish it was good. But no matter how much I wish it was, it's not. RLM reminded me how utterly BORED I was during the first half of the movie. All that Krypton shit is just noise, Rich is 100% right that simpler would have been better. I honestly never cared about anything that happened, nor did I connect to the movie on any level whatsoever.

Even you do not agree with all he said, its going way overboard no?

Those who claim the movie is utter garbage do not understand it at its core.

I am not going to defend it over and over again. I along with many others seemed to understand what this movie was.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Or maybe just everyone has different opinions and to stop blasting people if they love it or hate it.

It's getting old from both sides.

ps- Superman Returns is still boring as fuck ;)

JB1981

Or maybe just everyone has different opinions and to stop blasting people if they love it or hate it.

It's getting old from both sides.

ps- Superman Returns is still boring as fuck ;)

I actually like Superman Returns but the Lex real estate plot makes absolutely no sense. How is he going to sell real estate to people on Krypton Island? Who is going to live there? Why would he want to live there? It's uninhabitable. Idiotic.

I'm sorry, but what do you mean?

I'm referring to the
Bloated, 40-minute destruction of Metropolis and all of the 9/11-ish street scenes that were part of it.

Liquidsnake said:
Except Cavill is not wooden. My god he showed more emotion than any other Superman to date.

You've GOT to be kidding me. Cavill is hot with no shirt on and especially when he has a beard. That's what he's good for. No more, no less. Most of his scenes play as if he's delivering them to a brick wall. He has no emotional engagement with his fellow actors. It's especially awkward when he's put next to an actual talent like Amy Adams.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

Its claims like this that kind of invalidate your thoughts.

That's a very goddamn low bar to top. Maybe it's better, and I don't think he was bad, but compare it to any good movie character performances and it's pales. It doesn't invalidate his thoughts at all, that's a ridiculous thing to say about something that is subjective

I think you're weird religious reaction to this film is ridiculous and unfathomable to me, but I don't doubt for a second that it's genuine.

I actually like Superman Returns but the Lex real estate plot makes absolutely no sense. How is he going to sell real estate to people on Krypton Island? Who is going to live there? Why would he want to live there? It's uninhabitable. Idiotic.

I thought Spacey was good in the role, but yeah the character's plans are straight from the 60's Batman show. I mean, the first thing in the movie is Lexx banging and seducing that old woman for a necklace that he could have EASILY just stolen.

jett

D-Member

Well, no. I liked Cavill and some of the action set pieces are good, and by some I think it's just Smallville. That's about it, for me. Just like Mercury Fred I completely tuned out during the flying silver snake monster thingy or whatever it was, and during the Zod fistfight. The movie might as well had become a cartoon then. He's right that the action can be bloated and too much and that the movie is very bleak and joyless.

You've GOT to be kidding me. Cavill is hot with no shirt on and especially when he has a beard. That's what he's good for. No more, no less. Most of his scenes play as if he's delivering them to a brick wall. He has no emotional engagement with his fellow actors. It's especially awkward when he's put next to an actual talent like Amy Adams.

I think he just doesn't have much to do, from a character perspective. Most of the movie is people talking to him and telling him what to do. The scene where he makes the "decision" to save humanity (church scene, blech) doesn't work because it's so trite.

Zabka

Good God, there's no love in this thread.

ihOjzlzr2t5ol.gif

I thought Spacey was good in the role, but yeah the character's plans are straight from the 60's Batman show. I mean, the first thing in the movie is Lexx banging and seducing that old woman for a necklace that he could have EASILY just stolen.
I think he inherited the big boat he has at the end too. I could be mistaken.

I think he just doesn't have much to do, from a character perspective. Most of the movie is people talking to him and telling him what to do. The scene where he makes the "decision" to save humanity (church scene, blech) doesn't work because it's so trite.

That's fair. Maybe he could do more with better material. To be fair, I haven't really seen him in anything else. Still, his scenes were so, so flat to me.

Oh, I forgot a bullet point!

-Telenovela-worthy head turn reaction shots a-plenty.

Dany

Banned
I'm referring to the
Bloated, 40-minute destruction of Metropolis and all of the 9/11-ish street scenes that were part of it.

I believe you might be the first person I've come across that equated the city destruction in MoS to 9/11 and having street destruction=9/11ish? The movie played up the verisimilitude of city destruction and following people running in the streets. Doesn't really mean its fetishizing 9/11

JB1981

It was for her inheritance, not a necklace.

Was it? Guess I missed that, all I remember is him taking a thing from her dead hands or something and walking out.

Right before she died she said she was going to leave him everything, and then started signing the will. Luthor just finished signing it for her, then removed it from her cold dead hands.

I believe you might be the first person I've come across that equated the city destruction in MoS to 9/11 and having street destruction=9/11ish? The movie played up the verisimilitude of city destruction and following people running in the streets. Doesn't really mean its fetishizing 9/11

The few reviews I've read, including RLM and Slash Film, all remark on the 9/11 imagery.

I don't necessarily know if its fair, as it seems that most blockbuster major city destruction these days gets compared to 9/11, but he's certainly not the first person who has brought it up.

I love everything about this movie. Everything. Well, almost.
Forced kiss
aside I loved everything. The hate makes zero sense to me.

As to me I don't understand what you guys wanted form a Superman movie. We got returns which was loathed for non action, and being a nod to Donner. We get this and it gets hate for being about action.

I loved them all I like Returns, I consider it a close to the Donner films. I thought Man of Steel was one of the most unique movies I have ever seen. That's it for me.

I thought Henry was amazing in this. His emotions made me cry. I guess we were watching different movies. But I am not the type of person who shouts "Yeah Right" at the movie screen.

Divvy

I think the fact that Metropolis is a stand-in for New York invites that comparison for some. I didn't really care, in fact I sort of thought it was brave of them to destroy the city so much what with the still lingering sensitivity about it.

Raptor

The fact of the matter is that this is a movie I wish was better than it is. Hell, I wish it was good. But no matter how much I wish it was, it's not. RLM reminded me how utterly BORED I was during the first half of the movie. All that Krypton shit is just noise, Rich is 100% right that simpler would have been better, and the attempts at creating an emotional connection didn't hit with me a tall. I honestly never cared about anything that happened. In the end, I think MoS is just wasted potential. The concept of it being a first contact story is good, but the execution is just complete crap on that end.

Sounds like Returns is you cup of tea man, Krypton is shit? come on, jeez...

I thought the Krypton part of the movie was one of the most enjoyable aspects. It seems like some of the criticisms are from people who do not enjoy movies at all, or maybe comic style moves are not their thing.

Just finished watching it a fifth time. Definitely my favorite comic movie, and action movie for that matter.

My only complaint is that I wish they showed humanities reaction to Supermans existence. I figured they were gonna pose the question to the audience, what reflection of ourselves would we see in Superman if he did exist.
Would've been cool if they tried showing that on an anthropological level. But I guess it's still a summer blockbuster and all. Here's hoping its something that kinda makes its way into the directors cut.

I want a 3 hour version of this for sure. Can't wait for the bluray.

Any ways, DAT SOUNDTRACK! Damn shame the OST is missing what I'm assuming is Lois's theme (it plays almost every time she's on screen doing her thing).

Any ways, in case anyone cares. Here's my new ranking...

1. Man of Steel
2. The Avenegers
3. The Dark Knight
4. The Punisher (Dolph Lundgren)
5. Iron Man

Divvy

I thought the Krypton part of the movie was one of the most enjoyable aspects. It seems like some of the criticisms are from people who do not enjoy movies at all, or maybe comic style moves are not their thing.

Good god, stop trying to invalidate the opinions of people who disagree with you.

Sanjuro

When were you born? 1980 here.

I re-watched the first 3 Supes movies on HBO Go last month, and I also thought they aged badly. I don't know if I would've enjoyed any of them if I hadn't grown up watching them. I mean, the movie weren't "bad" , but I was kinda bored watching them.

I was born in the 80s, didn't watch any of the Superman films until the 00s.

I was introduced to the character with the George Reeves television series and largely afterward the Lois and Clark program.

Just finished watching it a fifth time. Definitely my favorite comic movie, and action movie for that matter.

My only complaint is that I wish they showed humanities reaction to Supermans existence. I figured they were gonna pose the question to the audience, what reflection of ourselves would we see in Superman if he did exist.
Would've been cool if they tried showing that on an anthropological level. But I guess it's still a summer blockbuster and all. Here's hoping its something that kinda makes its way into the directors cut.

I want a 3 hour version of this for sure. Can't wait for the bluray.

Any ways, DAT SOUNDTRACK! Damn shame the OST is missing what I'm assuming is Lois's theme (it plays almost every time she's on screen doing her thing).

Any ways, in case anyone cares. Here's my new ranking...

1. Man of Steel
2. The Avenegers
3. The Dark Knight
4. The Punisher (Dolph Lundgren)
5. Iron Man

You pose an interesting question about humanities view on Superman. I would have liked to see that. I would also like a 3 hour version. Blu ray cannot come soon enough.

1. Man of Steel
2. TDKR
3. TDK
4. Iron Man
5. Begins.

lol!

I love movies. And I love comics. I appreciate well conceived, well executed work. Do you think I was psyched to plunk down $16 (thanks NYC) for what ended up being the corn-encrusted turd swirl that is Man of Steel? No, I went in hoping for the best. I really wanted to like it but for obvious reasons, I did not.

Solo

Man of Steel was a revelatory experience. Seeing it I suddenly felt what Neil Armstrong must have felt when he first set foot on the moon. A wave of emotion washed over me and all I'd ever known was turned on its head. This movie shook me to my very core and made me question not only my own existence, but also every truth and value I've held dear my whole life.

Man of Steel changed my life.

jett

D-Member

:lol Okay buddy. Krypton bored me. It was ugly, had dull visuals, had a flying Avatar reject for some reason, a moronic fist fight between Zod and Jor El...and the whole fucking thing just goes on for too long. There was nothing interesting or entertaining for me there.

You know what, the defenders that act like this movie is perfect only fuel my hate for it, it seems.

lol!

I love movies. And I love comics. I appreciate well conceived, well executed work. Do you think I was psyched to plunk down $16 (thanks NYC) for what ended up being the corn-encrusted turd swirl that is Man of Steel? No, I went in hoping for the best. I really wanted to like it but for obvious reasons, I did not.

Gotcha.

Oh, also, does anyone think that Snyder may have contracted people who work on those tear-jerker Folgers Xmas morning reunion commercials to work on the "touching" childhood scenes? Because they had the same emotional timbre.

It's a completely variable thing. My only exposure to the Goonies was strictly the Nintendo game. My initial exposure to Batman was the Adam West series. Neither "endured".

I first saw Star Wars as a kid, I assume it endures since people keep discovering it.

I first saw ET as an adult, hated it, although I could recognize what people liked about it.

I saw Goonies first as an adult, and wow... not good.

I can't say the Donner Superman hold up. I still like them (even the camp) but I have an attachment to them.

Raptor

:lol Okay buddy. Krypton bored me. It was ugly, had dull visuals, had a flying Avatar reject for some reason, a moronic fist fight between Zod and Jor El...and the whole fucking thing just goes on for too long. There was nothing interesting or entertaining for me there.

You know what, the defenders that act like this movie is perfect only fuel my hate for it, it seems.
Who is syaing this movie is perfect?

I even said it has issues in my review, mainly editing and pacing issues, there is no such thing as a perfect movie.

The haters of this movie that treats it like the worse movie ever made are even worse man.

Toa TAK

Banned
Man of Steel was a revelatory experience. Seeing it I suddenly felt what Neil Armstrong must have felt when he first set foot on the moon. A wave of emotion washed over me and all I'd ever known was turned on its head. This movie shook me to my very core and made me question not only my own existence, but also every truth and value I've held dear my whole life.

Man of Steel changed my life.

It's like you're not even trying.

You pose an interesting question about humanities view on Superman. I would have liked to see that. I would also like a 3 hour version. Blu ray cannot come soon enough.
Yeah, I think it would've been awesome.

Not trying to sound cheesy here or anything, but I think it would've been such an awesome question to throw out there.

I mean, he's supposed to symbolize hope right. So like, if such a creature appeared on earth one day, and he's preaching about being good to each other, would we follow his example and head towards a Star Trek like future, or would it be like Red Son?

Top Bottom