• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

Raptor

Not surprising. They
hated it. Pretty common criticisms. Superman needs to be bright and fun, Superman killed civilians by knocking buildings down, superbrawls are for Hulk movies.

He probably haven't seen Superman in 20 years or somerthing.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Not surprising. They
hated it. Pretty common criticisms. Superman needs to be bright and fun, Superman killed civilians by knocking buildings down, superbrawls are for Hulk movies.

People keep making these comparisons because the movie fails to present a better or at least an equivalent alternative. They wouldn't be complaining if the new Superman was compelling as a character even if he was different from the old movies. The old superman stood for something, and the problem people have isn't that the new one stands for something different, but that in the film, it doesn't seem like he stands for anything at all.

Zabka

People keep making these comparisons because the movie fails to present a better or at least an equivalent alternative. They wouldn't be complaining if the new Superman was compelling as a character even if he was different from the old movies. The old superman stood for something, and the problem people have isn't that the new one stands for something different, but that in the film, it doesn't seem like he stands for anything at all.

Did you watch the review? They don't sound like they enjoy the original movies or the idea of Superman in the first place.

Divvy

Did you watch the review? They don't sound like they enjoy the original movies or the idea of Superman in the first place.

Yeah I watched it, but I don't think that they didn't like the idea of Superman at all, they said they wanted to see more clever, heroic, adventurous stuff happening.

Zabka

They also say the clever, heroic, adventurous Superman of previous movies is for children.

For some reason some people don't think a superpowered fight scene played straight can be fun.

Divvy

They also say the clever, heroic, adventurous Superman of previous movies is for children.

For some reason some people don't think a superpowered fight scene played straight can be fun.

Ouch. Some of their jabs at the movie were funny though.

But sounds like they prefer the classic Superman. One of them even said 'Superman doesn't work if you try to make him a real person..." (?????)

They said the idea of a power-trip fantasy character like Superman was designed for children, but making him into a real person, as in, taking his character and putting him into a realistic earth setting, it sort of falls apart. It makes the things he does "sad and unsettling" like the sheer death toll in this film. I don't know if I agree with that sentiment really, I think it could possibly be done right, but I definitely don't think the movie achieved that.

Would someone mind explaining the significance of Supermans cape in relation to the movie and/or overall mythology? The actual suit he wears makes sense as it was a body suit that the people on his home planet wore. But why the cape? It seemed pointless like just for flair.

Sanjuro

The Half in the Bag review is spectacular.

When they busted out the John Williams theme while the people of Metropolis cower in fear. Lost it there.

SimleuqiR

Would someone mind explaining the significance of Supermans cape in relation to the movie and/or overall mythology? The actual suit he wears makes sense as it was a body suit that the people on his home planet wore. But why the cape? It seemed pointless like just for flair.

It's like saying "what's the point of a tie?" It was a fashion item on krypton.
And from what I can tell the entire suite (colors and all) was what a male member of the house of EL would have worn.

Just think of it like the wardrobe of a nobleman in the 1500

henry8belvoir.jpg

JB1981

They said the idea of a power-trip fantasy character like Superman was designed for children, but making him into a real person, as in, taking his character and putting him into a realistic earth setting, it sort of falls apart. It makes the things he does "sad and unsettling" like the sheer death toll in this film. I don't know if I agree with that sentiment really, I think it could possibly be done right, but I definitely don't think the movie achieved that.

Not really the way I'd characterize the character.

I would like to know this as well. Same goes for Batman.

Welp, saw this last night and it was even worse than I feared it might be.

-Cavill is totally wooden. It's as if the directing note he was given was to play the 1970s Superfriends cartoon version of Superman.

-Zod was hilariously one note. "I will shout my motivations at you. AGAIN!"

-Zero chemistry between Cavill and poor Amy Adams who seemed to be trying her best with shit material. At least she got paid.

-Bloated, boring, non-stop, endless, overloud tired ass action scenes with so-so CGI. I just tuned out after a while. These were utter garbage and a total waste of time.

-Creepy 9/11 fetishism in the third act.

-The corny lol-worthy church scene with stained glass Jebus + Kal El in frame together.

-The overall lack of wit, humor or joy. Nothing like a grim but empty movie. Horrid.

-Cheesy art direction. Really with the Kryptonian art deco diorama history thing? My friend and I couldn't stop laughing! Oh look, more insect inspired everything. Yawn.

So, yeah, Man of Steel is a complete piece of shit. I'm a huge DC fan and I was hoping this could be great. But no, it's just a cynically conceived, turgid mess. Gross.

ReiGun

LOL they eviscerated it. They bring up the usual complaints, of which I share a bunch, especially how convoluted the plot is. They're right though that there are no compelling characters of any kind in it the movie. Personally, the more I think about MoS, the less I want to spend another dime on it. I don't think I'll be watching it a second time. :p

Agreed. I still don't think it was horrible, but I just want to see it again.

Shame too, because it could have been so much better.

Zabka

They're children. It's not current in 2013, there are no toys and memorabilia to purchase, etc. Common sense things.

Are you going to explain your point about the originals enduring then? I could show Star Wars, ET or the Goonies to a kid today and they'd enjoy them.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Today is the day *gulp* 3 pm needs to get here already.

I will either join some of you in the sun or beg to be left on the bus.

Divvy

LOL they eviscerated it. They bring up the usual complaints, of which I share a bunch, especially how convoluted the plot is. They're right though that there are no compelling characters of any kind in it the movie. Personally, the more I think about MoS, the less I want to spend another dime on it. I don't think I'll be watching it a second time. :p

Heh, it cost me twenty dollars to see it last night and I was kind of enjoying it at the time. But now, in the next day when all of that action fades away a bit, you really do realize how little of anything else there was in the film. Can't say I'm interested in spending another 15-10 dollars on it again.

Sanjuro

Are you going to explain your point about the originals enduring then? I could show Star Wars, ET or the Goonies to a kid today and they'd enjoy them.

...and why can't you show him Superman? Stating one film is dated and the others are not is pretty flawed.

You can show a child anything. I'm talking about the over ninety percent of them who are only interested in what is current and their friends are interested in.

While I like RLM's review, some of it was a little out there.

However, I do agree that the crux of Superman's "purpose"--to lead humanity, to save them, "they will follow you into the sun" or whatever--was way off the mark. Like they said, really, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. The people of Earth need Superman BECAUSE he arrived; Zod found Earth BECAUSE of Superman.

Superman didn't come to Earth for a reason or a special purpose; trouble followed him and now he has to clean it up. There's nothing special about that.

Welp, saw this last night and it was even worse than I feared it might be.

-Cavill is totally wooden. It's as if the directing note he was given was to play the 1970s Superfriends cartoon version of Superman.

-Zod was hilariously one note. "I will shout my motivations at you. AGAIN!"

-Zero chemistry between Cavill and poor Amy Adams who seemed to be trying her best with shit material. At least she got paid.

-Bloated, boring, non-stop, endless, overloud tired ass action scenes with so-so CGI. I just tuned out after a while. These were utter garbage and a total waste of time.

-Creepy 9/11 fetishism in the third act.

-The corny lol-worthy church scene with stained glass Jebus + Kal El in frame together.

-The overall lack of wit, humor or joy. Nothing like a grim but empty movie. Horrid.

-Cheesy art direction. Really with the Kryptonian art deco diorama history thing? My friend and I couldn't stop laughing! Oh look, more insect inspired everything. Yawn.

So, yeah, Man of Steel is a complete piece of shit. I'm a huge DC fan and I was hoping this could be great. But no, it's just a cynically conceived, turgid mess. Gross.

Sounds like you didn't even see the movie.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I never go and see movies more than once. I have no desire to spend money to do so with Man of Steel. However if a movie is good enough I will buy the DVD when it comes out and watch it over and over to my hearts content. Is Man of Steel good enough for this? You're damn right it is. I haven't enjoyed a movie like this in quite a while. I'll see how it holds up for repeat viewings when the DVD comes out. But I'd say it should be a very enjoyable movie to rewatch. At no point does MOS come anywhere close to boring. Such a drastic improvement on Superbore Returns.

LosDaddie

Banned
I guess if you're a child or have no attachment to older films, sure.

When were you born? 1980 here.

I re-watched the first 3 Supes movies on HBO Go last month, and I also thought they aged badly. I don't know if I would've enjoyed any of them if I hadn't grown up watching them. I mean, the movie weren't "bad" , but I was kinda bored watching them.

Top Bottom