• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

Dude. That Kryptonian chick was hot as hell. I wanted her to death by snu snu me. Is she hot in real life?

As for the movie, I don't get the bad reviews. I thought it was great as an origins movie. Let the character development shit happen in the sequel.

Yeah, this movie didn't have the campy/comic book feeling of Superman Returns, but whatever. It wasn't a bad film.

Dude. That Kryptonian chick was hot as hell. I wanted her to death by snu snu me. Is she hot in real life?

As for the movie, I don't get the bad reviews. I thought it was great as an origins movie. Let the character development shit happen in the sequel.

Yeah, this movie didn't have the campy/comic book feeling of Superman Returns, but whatever. It wasn't a bad film.

You make it sound like you missed the campy feeling from Returns. Did you?

Toa TAK

Banned

She's gorgeous in real life.

antje_traue_1.jpg

Toa TAK

Banned
I wanted to stop reading here:

But kept reading. I like Franco. And he makes very good points as to why he (and the general audience) likes this movie.

Read this earlier today and I thought it was good. But man, those comments sections need to go. People complaining about the Americana in the film?

They do know where Supes originated, right?

Just came back from seeing the movie. Overall I had a blast, and thought this movie was much better than Returns and can't wait for a sequel. The action was top notch, maybe to a point where it even felt too much lol. But it's probably what someone should expect from a modern live action Superman movie. I would say that I spoiled myself from watching too much footage from trailers and tv spots. It made me think the movie would focus on certain aspects more than others, but the movie actually ended up going a different way. This might have hurt my expectations a bit, but that was my fault. Also enjoyed the acting from the entire main cast, Cavill makes a great Superman and Adams a great Lois. Overall enjoyed the movie, pretty sure I'm gonna see it again soon.

george_us

Saw this tonight in 3D and thought it was garbage. The Krypton parts were fantastic but the writing as a whole was absolutely awful. The movie also didn't have nearly as action as I was hoping for with basically two good action scenes. Overall I thought Returns was a much better movie than this.

KalBalboa

Banned
Saw this tonight in 3D and thought it was garbage. The Krypton parts were fantastic but the writing as a whole was absolutely awful. The movie also didn't have nearly as action as I was hoping for with basically two good action scenes. Overall I thought Returns was a much better movie than this.

...What on Earth were you expecting, exactly?

Ashhong

I don't think I have read any impression yet that said not enough action lol holy shit

KalBalboa

Banned
I don't think I have read any impression yet that said not enough action lol holy shit

The only way it could have had more is if Jonathan Kent fought a beer or something while walking from his barn to the pickup truck when he talked to Clark.

Seriously, there's an action scenes legitimately every 5 minutes. Jor El
escapes imprisonment, then flies across Krypton during a planetary war, fist-fights Zod after Zod's coup blows half his home apart, he gets stabbed, and then a space ship is blown to bits trying to destroy another one as it exits orbit.

All within, what, 5 or 6 minutes of the opening?

And then we have the oil rig scene followed by
Clark as a kid on a crashing school bus.
Then the
robot guard fighting Clark
and then him crushing it before
it kills Lois.
Then a giant
space ship explodes from the ice
and... It just keeps going and going...

The last forty-five minutes of the film are non-stop in terms of action-pacing. It's actually been a common criticism with the film.

george_us

The only way it could have had more is if Jonathan Kent fought a beer or something while walking from his barn to the pickup truck when he talked to Clark.

Seriously, there's an action scenes legitimately every 5 minutes. Jor El
escapes imprisonment, then flies across Krypton during a planetary war, fist-fights Zod after Zod's coup blows half his home apart, he gets stabbed, and then a space ship is blown to bits trying to destroy another one as it exits orbit.

All within, what, 5 or 6 minutes of the opening?

And then we have the oil rig scene followed by
Clark as a kid on a crashing school bus.
Then the
robot guard fighting Clark
and then him crushing it before
it kills Lois.
Then a giant
space ship explodes from the ice
and... It just keeps going and going...

The last forty-five minutes of the film are non-stop in terms of action-pacing. It's actually been a common criticism with the film.
I don't really consider most of those action scenes since most of them last for maybe 20 seconds each and I already mentioned the entire Krypton sequence. I wanted more Superman slapping fire from other Kryptonians and we only got two great scenes of that despite their being half a dozen Kryptonian survivors. It was disappointing.

KalBalboa

Banned
I don't really consider most of those action scenes since most of them last for maybe 20 seconds each and I already mentioned the entire Krypton sequence. I wanted more Superman slapping fire from other Kryptonians and we only got two great scenes of that despite their being half a dozen Kryptonian survivors. It was disappointing.

Umm...

supecrashcljou.gif

4QGnGDv.gif

How much more could you want, really? Superman alone has three fight scenes, four if you count the
world engine.

They're still action scenes, no matter how long or short. And it's great to have those shorter action scenes to keep a good rhythm going throughout the film.

JimiNutz

Banned
There's literally two fist fights and that's it plus the brief battle on Krypton.

I'm with you.
There was loads of action but it was mostly sci fi space ships/lazer guns shooting like Star Wars/Star Trek or whatever.

I was really expecting far more fist fighting. Far more Superman fighting in the air at super speed. There were moments of this (epic last fight) but I really didn't care by that point. If I'm honest the fighting didn't really blow me away either, it wasn't like amazingly choreographed or anything.

I can't quite put my finger on it. Just something was missing for me. Maybe it's that I've never been that into Superman but I really wanted to like this and was really excited for the action. The action just sounded good on paper (super powered beings smashing through buildings and shooting lazers out of there eyes) but I just don't think any of it was particularly well choreographed or even shot, which is a huge surprise because the fighting in 300 was epic. Even that fist fight between the Comedian and his assassin in Watchmen was more interesting and better shot.

badb0y

Don't know what these other guys are talking about but the movie was amazing for me and the second half is practically all action lol.

I loved the way Superman is shown to be "human" because this Superman is not the idealistic hero that everyone thinks of when they hear Superman. This Superman actually has problems and internal conflicts like the rest of us. Don't get me wrong he is a symbol for hope but as a character Superman in Man of Steel was more relatable.

My favorite part is when Zod is attacking Ma Kent and Superman tackles him and continues to beat on his face while yelling "You think you can threaten my mother!"

KalBalboa

Banned
So, what I'm gathering is... you wanted more fist fighting and less staged/plot driving action scenes?

Superman fights more in this film than just about any other super hero film I can think of. Batman has one-three quick fist fights in every film, Spiderman usually has two, etc, and they're far less choregraphed and typically much shorter.

The final fight is six minutes of the craziest shit you could do in a fight scene.

george_us

So, what I'm gathering is... you wanted more fist fighting and less staged/plot driving action scenes?

Superman fights more in this film than just about any other super hero film I can think of. Batman has one-three quick fist fights in every film, Spiderman usually has two, etc, and they're far less choregraphed and typically much shorter.

The final fight is six minutes of the craziest shit you could do in a fight scene.
Seeing how the plot/writing was 100% grade-A horseshit, sure why not?

And the Spider-Man/Batman movies have just as many action scenes as Man of Steel if you're going to count the super-short action scenes.

Spider-Man 1 alone has the scene of Peter chasing the villain who killed his uncle, the montage of him performing heroic rescues in his introduction as Spider-Man, Green Goblin's introduction, the first fight between Green Goblin and Spider-Man, the burning building, Goblin kidnapping Aunt May, and the final fight. And again, that's just the first Spider-Man movie.

I'm with you.
There was loads of action but it was mostly sci fi space ships/lazer guns shooting like Star Wars/Star Trek or whatever.

I was really expecting far more fist fighting. Far more Superman fighting in the air at super speed. There were moments of this (epic last fight) but I really didn't care by that point. If I'm honest the fighting didn't really blow me away either, it wasn't like amazingly choreographed or anything.

I can't quite put my finger on it. Just something was missing for me. Maybe it's that I've never been that into Superman but I really wanted to like this and was really excited for the action. The action just sounded good on paper (super powered beings smashing through buildings and shooting lazers out of there eyes) but I just don't think any of it was particularly well choreographed or even shot, which is a huge surprise because the fighting in 300 was epic. Even that fist fight between the Comedian and his assassin in Watchmen was more interesting and better shot.
Don't get me wrong, the fist fights were fucking magnificent. I consider Justice League Unlimited to be the gold standard as far as Superman related fight scenes go and the fights in Man of Steel were up there. I just wanted a lot more of them.

Log4Girlz

Ok, apart from not specifically mentioning the exact reason why Superman had to go one place vs. another (you know what I'm talking about) I actually really enjoyed the movie. There were a few other issues I had with the movie but are nit-picks.

Tizoc

So what's the reaction to
Superman killing Zod? I for one did not expect that. Apparently Mark Waid walked out of the theatre after that scene

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Superman killing Zod? I for one did not expect that. Apparently Mark Waid walked out of the theatre after that scene

I loved it. Superman was clearly
upset and hated that he was forced to kill. But he had no choice. He had to do it or that family and many other humans most likely would have died. Despite the fact supes did the right thing he still screamed in agony after he did it. It was completely in character and I thought that scene was VERY well done. Certainly a hell of a lot better than removing Zod's powers so he isn't a threat but still choosing to throw him in a pit to his death....

SUPARSTARX

I loved it. Superman was clearly
upset and hated that he was forced to kill. But he had no choice. He had to do it or that family and many other humans most likely would have died. Despite the fact supes did the right thing he still screamed in agony after he did it. It was completely in character and I thought that scene was VERY well done. Certainly a hell of a lot better than removing Zod's powers so he isn't a threat but still choosing to throw him in a pit to his death....

It was
pretty powerful. It's his first battle and it's against the last of his race. Killing Zod to protect humanity and presumably end the rest of his race right there. This may just be the catalyst he needs to finish the last step in finding who he is and what he will become--the Superman we all know from the comics/movies before this one and the one people kept nitpicking about haha

ReiGun

Liked the idea; the execution was lacking. I agree with Mark Waid in that it didn't feel like the movie earned that moment.

Mark Waid
almost walked out. His girlfriend had to pull him back into his seat. He had a complete RAEG moment (complete with "FUCK THIS I'M OUT") Apparently, he didn't even remember doing it.

I know what his feelings were, but it didn't stop me from laughing like a madman when I read that part.

Superman killing...didn't bother me - he'd done it before - but it unnerved me, if that makes any sense. It was such a stunning move. The audience amazingly popped hard for it. They just went OHHHH!! and then like two thirds of the theater clapped for it.

This was also the first Superman movie I saw in a theater. Seeing that costume on the big screen was s feeling I can't adequately describe without flailing.

Top Bottom