• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

Same, even though I've mostly been criticizing it and love-trolling Superman GAF :D

I do it to a degree with Nintendo GAF on the other side.

Though sometimes it's hard to pry apart my actual feelings from the things I say to prod. I'm damn subtle with it though. Unlike my perversity. That's pretty much dangling for all to see like some low hanging fruit.

Toa TAK

Banned
Was better than Batman.

Nuh-uh. On par with TDKR.

Hey in the comics are Superman and Martian Manhunter best friends since they share the same fucking origin? "Last" survivors of doomed planets who escape to earth, can fly, super strength, pew pew vision. Though MM has telepathy, phasing, shape shifting to add to his repertoire because being overpowered is cool and interesting subject matter for stories.

Origin stories maybe.

Hey in the comics are Superman and Martian Manhunter best friends since they share the same fucking origin? "Last" survivors of doomed planets who escape to earth, can fly, super strength, pew pew vision. Though MM has telepathy, phasing, shape shifting to add to his repertoire because being overpowered is cool and interesting subject matter for stories.
I'd be a godlike shape-shifting alien if I could.

Though that'd probably amount to turning into other people having sex with someone and then transforming mid coitus with a camera set to go off and blackmailing.

Then comes the fun. If you pay? I transform into anyone you want. It's full-proof and with my godlike powers ain't nobody gonna fuck this monkey that ain't payin'/

Log4Girlz

I'd be a godlike shape-shifting alien if I could.

Though that'd probably amount to turning into other people having sex with someone and then transforming mid coitus with a camera set to go off and blackmailing.

Then comes the fun. If you pay? I transform into anyone you want. It's full-proof and with my godlike powers ain't nobody gonna fuck this monkey that ain't payin'/

I just want to experience sex.

I bet all the boys here on GAF get lots of sex. I'm so envious.
Buck up man!

You could always have really disappointing sex like me. Few times it's been offered without me tied up and crying it's been all "That was quick..." or *laughs* "I'm sorry I don't feel anything."

Damn I wish I was a shape-shifter.

They refused to believe it was true. Hubris. Not that hard to understand

it's still bullshit. They could have added a simple explanation: Kryptonian outposts didn't work due to lack of Krypton, meaning the race becomes locked to one planet / ecosystem: Superman adapted to Earth instead and I'm sure you could make something up for the Phantom Zone changing this as well.

And you're done, and as bonus explained the herpderp "let's mine the core" bullshit. There is no reason why anyone would do something like that given the millions of other possibilities. (second bonus being Supes mandatory weakness to Krypton, tada!)

Btw, is it me, or is the editing of this movie all over the place?

Toa TAK

Banned
yeah I can see this happening and the problem is that I don't want it to.

We'll see. I just hope for a bigger emphasis on a character driven story. Like this one, just better, I guess.

I wonder if they'll continue doing more sci-fi stuff in the next one. I don't think it would be necessary to do so as opposed to MOS, which tied in really well with the origin story as a whole.

I haven't seen Smallville but weren't Lex and Clark best friends in that show?
I don't know if I'd ever say that.

From the outset Lex had an interest in Clark that bordered on obsessive. Probably the closest thing that Lex in that show had ever had yes. But I don't know if researching everything into a person while setting up a facade of friendship while manipulating is exactly friendship.

But that seemed to be one of the early themes. Friends becoming enemies. I just don't think I ever really saw it that way on Lex part. More like he saw what he suspected was a powerful tool, and he had to be a specific person to exploit that tool. On Clarks end it was friendship. Trusting him with everything but that one important secret.

I'm putting more thought into that show than those writers ever did.

A play on that dynamic I think could be interesting if written well with the right actor opposite of Cavill.

I certainly think so. After a solid year, I think many people will see MoS for what it really is- a film with very little heart and amazing special effects.

That's an odd thing to say about a film that follows a Clark Kent who's conflicted, isolated and repressed because of his childhood, but learns to let go and accept himself in the face of a global threat.

Sure there's a lot of action. But let's not act like the movie doesn't provide solid emotional motivations and backstory to what follows.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I'm here to put everyone on a less sexy topic.

I think MOS can be the next TDK or SM2 if it's done right.

And I'd love to see Max Landis' approach to it... http://youtu.be/aw_GlYve_Lg

I've stated before that while flawed, I did enjoy the film. I think the criticisms Landis raises in his rant are excellent questions to be answered in a sequel, likely against Lex Luthor. He's claiming responsibility for humanity, but what happens when his villain is human himself, and there are so many political, economic, and judicial systems that can be exploited to work against Superman's mission?

Ahasverus

I certainly think so. After a solid year, I think many people will see MoS for what it really is- a film with very little heart and amazing special effects.

I certainly think MoS is the next Batman Begins. An underlooked film at its time that becomes a cult classic.

1) That Max Landis clip isn't at all a rant.
2) I agree with him way more than I don't, and I liked Man of Steel.

Seriously, people should watch that thing. It's less a criticism of Man of Steel, and more a criticism of Superhero Film in general, and how Man of Steel drew into sharp focus the inherent problems with the choices studios are making in telling these stories.

Toa TAK

Banned
And I'd love to see Max Landis' approach to it... http://youtu.be/aw_GlYve_Lg

I've stated before that while flawed, I did enjoy the film. I think the criticisms Landis raises in his rant are excellent questions to be answered in a sequel, likely against Lex Luthor. He's claiming responsibility for humanity, but what happens when his villain is human himself, and there are so many political, economic, and judicial systems that can be exploited to work against Superman's mission?

Just finished watching it. I loved MOS, but the dude makes great points. I don't know if the filmmakers understand themselves what makes Superman great beyond the visual flair.

Also subscribed to him.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Just finished watching it. I loved MOS, but the dude makes great points. I don't know if the filmmakers understand themselves what makes Superman great beyond the visual flair.

Also subscribed to him.

Whether they fully understood Superman or not, I think the points in Landis' video are great points for the sequel to tackle, and for Superman himself to discover.

I watched the Landis clip, I agree with his interpretations of the character but his critique - and the one many share - of the ending still baffle me. Superman was never engaged in wilful destruction, and he tried his damnedest to destroy the terraformer as quick as possible. Would they prefer a nerfed ending where the machine is destroyed before it entered the atmosphere? In a cliche 0.07 seconds to go like in Hellboy. I actually thought it was refreshing there was some actual mayhem, it upped the stakes and the andrenaline to stop Zod.

Didn't realise he wrote Chronicle though, was a pretty good movie.

Toa TAK

Banned
Whether they fully understood Superman or not, I think the points in Landis' video are great points for the sequel to tackle, and for Superman himself to discover.

I agree wholeheartedly. Again, I think MOS' sequel can be another great superhero film like SM2, X2 and TDK. They just have to do it right. And I'm afraid they won't.

I watched the Landis clip, I agree with his interpretations of the character but his critique - and the one many share - of the ending still baffle me. Superman was never engaged in wilful destruction, and he tried his damnedest to destroy the terraformer as quick as possible. Would they prefer a nerfed ending where the machine is destroyed before it entered the atmosphere? In a cliche 0.07 seconds to go like in Hellboy. I actually thought it was refreshing there was some actual mayhem, it upped the stakes and the andrenaline to stop Zod.

Didn't realise he wrote Chronicle though, was a pretty good movie.

This is my issue, though. I do like the final act with the destruction of the city. It was pretty intense and we don't get something done in this scale like this often.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I agree wholeheartedly. Again, I think MOS' sequel can be another great superhero film like SM2, X2 and TDK. They just have to do it right. And I'm afraid they won't.

Well right now, MoS is doing well internationally at the box office (pretty okay domestically but it's dropping largely due to the negative/mixed reviews and audience reaction), but clearly they need more than just a singular franchise out of this - they need this to kickstart the whole DC universe which may be the only big-budget action films studios really feel okay with making now. Snyder and Goyer are in place, but it would be in their best interest to get someone else in on the writing process for quality control.

This video created a very compelling argument that maybe that person should be Landis.

KalBalboa

Banned
1) That Max Landis clip isn't at all a rant.
2) I agree with him way more than I don't, and I liked Man of Steel.

Seriously, people should watch that thing. It's less a criticism of Man of Steel, and more a criticism of Superhero Film in general, and how Man of Steel drew into sharp focus the inherent problems with the choices studios are making in telling these stories.

He basically uses Superman as an example of "How has it come to this?" after citing Transformers and Avengers as earlier culprits of the same problem, which I appreciate.

Superman should be the hero in these types of circumstances and prevent disaster.

Toa TAK

Banned
Snyder and Goyer are in place, but it would be in their best interest to get someone else in on the writing process for quality control.

This video created a very compelling argument that maybe that person should be Landis.

This cannot be stressed enough. Another good/better writer needs to help out. I wouldn't be opposed to Landis.

I know everyone and their mothers want a Justice League movie (including WB), but I would rather have the sequel not be some sort of set up to that, unless they do a stinger.

Shaanyboi

Banned
This cannot be stressed enough. Another good/better writer needs to help out. I wouldn't be opposed to Landis.

I know everyone and their mothers want a Justice League movie (including WB), but I would rather have the sequel not be some sort of set up to that, unless they do a stinger.

I stand by my idea that you have Batman/Superman team up in the next film.
At the climax of the Wonder Woman movie, to the surprise of the audience, Superman lands and starts fighting a bunch of monsters as Wonder Woman runs off to face Ares or whatever. Later, he suggests that they should maybe consider coordinating, with her half jokingly say "Thanks, but no thanks."
And then at the end of Green Lantern, whether it's Hal or John flying back home, he sees an invasion force on its way to Earth, and he has to warn everyone that Brainiac is coming.

I stand by my idea that you have Batman/Superman team up in the next film.
At the climax of the Wonder Woman movie, to the surprise of the audience, Superman lands and starts fighting a bunch of monsters as Wonder Woman runs off to face Ares or whatever. Later, he suggests that they should maybe consider coordinating, with her half jokingly say "Thanks, but no thanks."
And then at the end of Green Lantern, whether it's Hal or John flying back home, he sees an invasion force on its way to Earth, and he has to warn everyone that Brainiac is coming.

While that would be awesome to see, I don't think it would send a good message to have the first major female superhero receive help from Superman during a major fight in her first film. Also feminists would shred the film apart.

This movie is utter craziness. It's barely a Superman movie. It's more like an alien invasion + disaster movie + The Incredible Hulk. The bombastic destruction is so overblown that you just get numb to it.
The fight in Smallville was great, but that should've been a learning experience for Superman. All of that destruction in Metropolis shouldn't have occurred. Maybe like 1 building knocked over and Supes saving a ton of civilians, but he should've took it to the ocean/desert/mountains immediately. And then Zod looking to kill 4 random people is supposed to be dramatic and tense? After all that? Then no ramifications and followup for the damage? The next cut is a "Don't you spy on me" scene? Then more flashbacks, and comedy at the Daily Planet? After the city was partially annihilated?
Cavill, Adams, Crowe, Shannon, and Costner all did a fine job with what was handed to them, but nothing was particularly great about the story. They messed with the origin a bit...ehh, whatever. It's thin and kinda boring, but passible and not really where my issues lie.

There's some enjoyment to be found at the sheer ridiculous spectacle of what's happening in the final hour, but this is not a good Superman movie. I don't know who thought that climax was a brilliant idea for this character, but they need to step back and reevaluate who Superman is. I appreciate Snyder letting Superman loose in a way we've never seen on screen, but this was too much. All the faux handheld zoom in/out shots ruined a bunch of potentially great looking scenes as well. No point to those. Speaking of cinematography, there's really nothing special going on here that wasn't seen in the trailers which is disappointing. Some of the action sequences looked alright but nothing stood out that I'd want to Youtube in a year because it was so well executed.

In the end, it's not a complete failure, but it didn't light the world on fire either. They can't even go "first movie but bigger" for the sequel since they already blew their load on this one. Ultimately they need to tone it down if they expect to get anything good out of MoS2.

Shaanyboi

Banned
While that would be awesome to see, I don't think it would send a good message to have the first major female superhero receive help from Superman during a major fight in her first film. Also feminists would shred the film apart.
Not saying she needs his help. Ever see the animated Wonder Woman movie?

Basically, at the end,
Ares' forces are attacking at the Washington monument. The military is trying to fight off these monsters but they can't. Wonder Woman herself is going toe-to-toe with Ares. But then the Amazon army shows up and helps fighting off all these monsters. It's all crazy and everything.
I'm saying that if they do that or something similar (which would to be cool to see on its own), if this is in the same universe as MoS then Clark will be working at the Daily Planet... And I mean if he's there to "Keep his ear to the ground", he's probably going to find out about this. So why not have him show up mid-fight and start beating the shit out of some centaur or something with the Amazons. Again, with Wonder Woman herself taking on Ares.

This movie is utter craziness. It's barely a Superman movie. It's more like an alien invasion + disaster movie + The Incredible Hulk. The bombastic destruction is so overblown that you just get numb to it.
The fight in Smallville was great, but that should've been a learning experience for Superman. All of that destruction in Metropolis shouldn't have occurred. Maybe like 1 building knocked over and Supes saving a ton of civilians, but he should've took it to the ocean/desert/mountains immediately. And then Zod looking to kill 4 random people is supposed to be dramatic and tense? After all that? Then no ramifications and followup for the damage? The next cut is a "Don't you spy on me" scene? Then more flashbacks, and comedy at the Daily Planet? After the city was partially annihilated?
Cavill, Adams, Crowe, Shannon, and Costner all did a fine job with what was handed to them, but nothing was particularly great about the story. They messed with the origin a bit...ehh, whatever. It's thin and kinda boring, but passible and not really where my issues lie.

There's some enjoyment to be found at the sheer ridiculous spectacle of what's happening in the final hour, but this is not a good Superman movie. I don't know who thought that climax was a brilliant idea for this character, but they need to step back and reevaluate who Superman is. I appreciate Snyder letting Superman loose in a way we've never seen on screen, but this was too much. All the faux handheld zoom in/out shots ruined a bunch of potentially great looking scenes as well. No point to those. Speaking of cinematography, there's really nothing special going on here that wasn't seen in the trailers which is disappointing. Some of the action sequences looked alright but nothing stood out that I'd want to Youtube in a year because it was so well executed.

In the end, it's not a complete failure, but it didn't light the world on fire either. They can't even go "first movie but bigger" for the sequel since they already blew their load on this one. Ultimately they need to tone it down if they expect to get anything good out of MoS2.

I personally thought they did a great job in showing just how utterly destructive the challenge was. This is exactly how I imagine a fight between two Supermen would be like. Clark was facing a threat that he had never encountered before and was using his strength for the first time.

What many critics are missing here is that this was Superman's FIRST fight. He didn't even have time to develop an understanding of just how strong he was, and what kind of destruction could be wrought before things went to hell. The sense of zipping through Metropolis and saving people was shrouded by the sheer mayhem he had to face against the Kryptonians.

Were he more experienced or involved in a lesser fight, I would expect Superman to be more prudent. But this was the end of the world, he didn't know how fast he was, and it would be suicide to turn his back on Zod for a second.

I personally thought they did a great job in showing just how utterly destructive the challenge was. This is exactly how I imagine a fight between two Supermen would be like. Clark was facing a threat that he had never encountered before and was using his strength for the first time.

What many critics are missing here is that this was Superman's FIRST fight. He didn't even have time to develop an understanding of just how strong he was, and what kind of destruction could be wrought before things went to hell. The sense of zipping through Metropolis and saving people was shrouded by the sheer mayhem he had to face against the Kryptonians.

Were he more experienced or involved in a lesser fight, I would expect Superman to be more prudent. But this was the end of the world, he didn't know how fast he was, and it would be suicide to turn his back on Zod for a second.

If this is true then Superman's a dumbass as well which is, again, not who the character is supposed to be. After destroying Small Town, USA, there's no way in hell any superhero with a brain would stand for that amount of wanton destruction, a lot of it cause by his own hand. The REAL tension should've been with Superman and whatever military forces left attempting to get the Kryptonians out of the densely populated urban areas, and subdue them in more desolate spots. At least then Zod coming back and going directly after civilians would've had an element of drama to it because we wouldn't have seen half a city destroyed and God knows how many people die with it.

Maybe Man of Steel is the victim of one too many destruction laden blockbusters lately, but I couldn't turn my brain off for this one. No fallout after all that mess was the icing on the cake. Put Bruce Banner in Superman's place and this movie wouldn't have missed a step. That's not Superman, not even rookie Superman. Not to the level seen in this movie. There's a smarter way to write this stuff without losing any of the spectacle.

And the people calling this Snyder's best movie...what? Watchmen Director's and/or Ultimate cut and Dawn Of The Dead are better than MoS. 300 might be as well.

Shinjica

See the movie yesterday and i've a inner question.

Why Zod didnt ask kindly the DNA of superman and use the terraformation device to creare a new world on, for example, Mars?

No need to destroy the earth and kill Clark and everyone can live peacefully.

Vice

If this is true then Superman's a dumbass as well which is, again, not who the character is supposed to be. After destroying Small Town, USA, there's no way in hell any superhero with a brain would stand for that amount of wanton destruction, a lot of it cause by his own hand. The REAL tension should've been with Superman and whatever military forces left attempting to get the Kryptonians out of the densely populated urban areas, and subdue them in more desolate spots. At least then Zod coming back and going directly after civilians would've had an element of drama to it because we wouldn't have seen half a city destroyed and God knows how many people die with it.

Maybe Man of Steel is the victim of one too many destruction laden blockbusters lately, but I couldn't turn my brain off for this one. No fallout after all that mess was the icing on the cake. Put Bruce Banner in Superman's place and this movie wouldn't have missed a step. That's not Superman, not even rookie Superman. Not to the level seen in this movie. There's a smarter way to write this stuff without losing any of the spectacle.

And the people calling this Snyder's best movie...what? Watchmen Director's and/or Ultimate cut and Dawn Of The Dead are better than Mos. 300 might be as well.

The military and Clarks focus was on the massive terraforming devices that were literally crushing Metropolis. The military and Clark also tried to take the Kyptonians out with the Phantom Zone device.

The Kryptonians had no reason to leave Smallville, they wanted Clark's ship which was down the street it would be a stretch that they leave their main objective to fight Jor-El's punk kid and some jets that are about as dangerous as mosquitoes to them.

They also had no reasont o leave Metropolis later. Leaving their World Engine alone is reckless, I wonder why they left the part Clark took down unguarded, it makes sense to be near the only thing that is can allow your species to exist again

I think the lack of fallout is because Clark stopped the world from literally being crushed into an uninhabitable ball. Similar to the way the U.S. dropping atomic bombs in WWII is kind of brushed off as a necessary cost.

Lets not forget
Zod was a General and was bred to be a fucking unrepentant annihilator. Clark was a good-willed farm boy who had never thrown a punch. Why is it unlikely shit was getting real in his first encounters? You can have it in the sequels where he's perfect and making no mistakes and being all revered and shit. I think they call it an arc.

The military and Clarks focus was on the massive terraforming devices that were literally crushing Metropolis. The military and Clark also tried to take the Kyptonians out with the Phantom Zone device.

The Kryptonians had no reason to leave Smallville, they wanted Clark's ship which was down the street it would be a stretch that they leave their main objective to fight Jor-El's punk kid and some jets that are about as dangerous as mosquitoes to them.

They also had no reasont o leave Metropolis later. Leaving their World Engine alone is reckless, I wonder why they left the part Clark took down unguarded, it makes sense to be near the only thing that is can allow your species to exist again

I think the lack of fallout is because Clark stopped the world from literally being crushed into an uninhabitable ball. Similar to the way the U.S. dropping atomic bombs in WWII is kind of brushed off as a necessary cost.

That's all just weak justification brought on by a weak script. I'm not buying it. A ton of the action was destruction for destruction's sake. The
Smallviille
stuff was more than enough collateral damage, and was actually better than everything that followed it.
Supes didn't even attempt to pull the action away from the city which would've been enough for me. In fact, he tackled Zod INTO buildings to start the fight when Zod and Faora were threatening Ma Kent. Once I can understand due to rage, but the rest of that was reckless. Saving the day or not, the movie shouldn't have glossed over the crazy mess Superman had a hand in. If Snyder wants to set this up as a more realistic take on Superman, he has to go all the way with it, that includes smarter writing and real consequences.

nah I don't think so. this movie had a lot emotional beats that people could relate to.

He basically uses Superman as an example of "How has it come to this?" after citing Transformers and Avengers as earlier culprits of the same problem, which I appreciate.

Superman should be the hero in these types of circumstances and prevent disaster.

a save the people while the bad guy kills even more innocents does not make for a compelling narrative.

And the people calling this Snyder's best movie...what? Watchmen Director's and/or Ultimate cut and Dawn Of The Dead are better than MoS. 300 might be as well.

you were watching a different movie then because he didn't cause any of that destruction. none. zero. the world engines where the Kryptonians, the fight in Smallville also started by them, Superman even told people to get back inside and the whole town wasn't destroyed. all the fighting was contained to about a couple of blocks.

That's all just weak justification brought on by a weak script. I'm not buying it. A ton of the action was destruction for destruction's sake. The
Smallviille
stuff was more than enough collateral damage, and was actually better than everything that followed it.
Supes didn't even attempt to pull the action away from the city which would've been enough for me. In fact, he tackled Zod INTO buildings to start the fight when Zod and Faora were threatening Ma Kent. Once I can understand due to rage, but the rest of that was reckless. Saving the day or not, the movie shouldn't have glossed over the crazy mess Superman had a hand in. If Snyder wants to set this up as a more realistic take on Superman, he has to go all the way with it, that includes smarter writing and real consequences.

there were real consequences, and the consequences are that when super-powered people fight, normal people are going to lose their lives. he's not a god. he's a man. and the Zod fight was what? a couple of city blocks and a satellite in space and mostly empty buildings? that's carnage?

Smallviille

I'm trying to see it from your point of view but I can't. It seems like you have a more idealistic vision of Superman than even the comic books portray. Whenever Superman is having a major slugfest with an equal, cities are destroyed and people die. Sure he saves a few here and there, but there's not much you can do when you're getting your ass handed to you. That's what happened when Doomsday killed him, and that's what happened in this movie.

And anyway, isn't your entire complaint about the character diminished by
the death of Zod? Superman wouldn't entertain even a few people dying if he had the power to stop it, and when he did, he broke Zod's neck, which was very obviously a hard decision for him to make.

Vice

Smallviille

Destroying the World Engine takes precedent over stopping the Kryptonians. For all their power they caused less destruction during their rampages than the WE did for the ten minutes it was turned on. Destroying the WE and attempting to send the Kryptonians would result in the least loss of life if everything went well.

When we saw the interior of buildings in the area they were uninhabited I believe. Collatarel damage during Clark's first couple of real fights is to be expected. From what we saw he had no idea what the limits of his powers are at the time and still doesn't.

Clark had been Superman for less than a day before the fight in Smallville and the city, unless my sense of time is way off. He's never had to deal with the consequences of his strength and at the time quickly ending the threat of the Krptonians is just as viable a solution as trying to move the fight to a less populated area.

I see the lose of his innocence and an eternal feeling of loneliness as the cost Clark paid. Zod's death left Clark completely alone and pushed him to kill when Clark didn't want to.

Top Bottom