• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

I would say the ending is bold. A meditation on the human spirit.

For your consideration.

r-KEVIN-COSTNER-MAN-OF-STEEL-large570.jpg

You thought that Krypton sent Zod and his crew to the Phantom Zone in a terrafoming ship? Come on, son.

Well they did send them in a big ass ship, that apparently could be retro fitted to become a terraformer......

Its a movie. Not a novel. We don't need to know his relationship with his whole fucking crew. What kind of crap critcism is this? I have never once heard anyone make these kinds of comments.

"Yeah the movie was cool and all but what was the main villains relationship with his crew members?".

You want relationship? They supported him and his attempt to take over Krypton in an attempt to save Krypton. What else do we need to know? He was was a military general and they his loyal supporters.

No. Zod is shown to be someone who is bred genetically to perform one function. Protect and serve the people of Krypton. Its why he tried to over throw the leaders of Krypton, its why he wants the codex, its why he fights Jor El (even-though he agrees with Jor El that the planet is about to blow), and its why he is willing to destroy all human kind to save his own race.

Flat would be a villain who just wants to take over for power and rule the whole galaxy.

Again it's just a concept. He was bred for that purpose. Now what? That's it? That's what the character is then, a robot programmed to protect his people through war and death?

He's empty. There's no difference between that, and a guy who wants to rule the universe because he was bred to do so. It's one concept, and they ran with it. He wasn't particularly smart about it, there was no self awareness of any kind, he was essentially Doomsday with speaking ability.

This I agree with. Thought the attempt was to show that they go through some of the trials together so they form a bond.

Sure it could've laid a foundation to build upon, but the movie made it something else. It actively tried to define a relationship that was still in its first steps, deciding to skip any sort of build up... like the rest of the movie.

Resumed? There is nothing to resume. I agree they could have used more time on the flashbacks or his youth but what they did use shows us exactly what his relationship with is with his Earth parents, his classmates, and his environment.

The world is too big line is because he is hearing everything around the world and seeing it too. So when she comes to help him he knows SHE WILL KNOW exactly what he is talking about.

Cliff notes, that's what it all was. For a superman fan, he will relate because he has seen it a thousand times and understands quickly what it means for the character. In the movie though, it was just these rushed isolated scenes that wanted to quickly deliver the big moments that built Clark Kent, or Superman. But I didn't even get to know Clark Kent, it was all just about this mishandled conflict he has with his powers and how he fits in the world. We see these moments, and we get an idea but we never really got to know Clark.

And that's why when he becomes Superman... it just felt like it was going through the motions.

His relationship with his father is done probably the best only because its the more complicated relationship.

I would say it was the only complicated relationship, and sadly it was rushed.

Story being good has nothing to do with plotholes. The story can be good and still have plot holes. Also ALL movies have plotholes. Depends on if you liked the overall package. If you don't, only then do you actually sit back and nitpick every single scene, line, and story element.

Well if character development fails, pacing fails.... we look to the plot. And this was just a vanilla alien invasion plot with Superman and his super enemies in it.

With that said, Zod and his crew were imprisoned by the leaders of Krypton. They did not think the planet was going to blow. Earlier they were rejecting Jor El's claims. To them it does make sense to freeze Zod and his group until all eternity for treason.

And they were not sent with a ship. That ship and others which they then brought to Eart were only gathered after Krypton blew up, breaking the seal of their imprisonment. They then wondered the universe looking for Kryptonians, visiting lost colonies, and THERE THEY GATHERED THE SHIPS.

I might be wrong here, but I'm pretty damn sure they were sent to the black hole in the massive tripod. And also, how come this advanced species didn't know their planet was going to blow up? That doesn't even make sense.

The music part is very subjective, but I thought the majority here found the score to be pretty awesome and bombastic.

Agree to disagree.

SimleuqiR

Well they did send them in a big ass ship, that apparently could be retro fitted to become a terraformer......

No. Just no. They found the world machine at one of the other planets outposts. I guess when you don't pay attention, the movie might seem flawed.

Firstly, Zod's ship was not military in nature, but they retrofitted the phantom drive to be able to travel with it (explained in the movie). Secondly, Zod and his crew were scouting the universe for 33 years. They visited many abandoned Kryptonian outposts and collected armor, weapons , and supplies, one being the world machine.

No. Just no. They found the world machine at one of the other planets outposts. I guess when you don't pay attention, the movie might seem flawed.

I will bet you anything that they got sent to the black hole in the tripod. What they found in the colonies were weapons and world engine.

That world engine was placed in the big ass tripod. Now my question is, why were they sent to the phantom zone in a huge ship, why is it that when Krypton exploded they got free, and how is it that they could simply plug a world engine in that tripod and make a terraformer machine out of it... I mean was that thing even supposed to be a prison?

But you are right, they found the world engine... and somehow this incredibly advanced civilization couldn't predict its own world exploding, not even days before it happened. Come on. A bunch of nonsense.

SimleuqiR

I will bet you anything that they got sent to the black hole in the tripod. What they found in the colonies were weapons and world engine.

That world engine was placed in the big ass tripod. Now my question is, why were they sent to the phantom zone in a huge ship, why is it that when Krypton exploded they got free, and how is it that they could simply plug a world engine in that tripod and make a terraformer machine out of it... I mean was that thing even supposed to be a prison?

But you are right, they found the world engine...

The "World Engine" is the terraforming machine. They didn't "make a terraformer" out of it, it was one already as that was it's purpose.

JB1981

And somehow this incredibly advanced civilization couldn't predict its own world exploding, not even days before it happened. Come on. A bunch of nonsense.

I bet if scientists tried to convince Republicans that our mining of earth's natural resources might lead to an unstable core they definitely would paint you as a lying, tree-hugging liberal. Besides Krypton was a civilization suffering from social decay. It was a doomed/dying planet.

KalBalboa

Banned
But you are right, they found the world engine... and somehow this incredibly advanced civilization couldn't predict its own world exploding, not even days before it happened. Come on. A bunch of nonsense.

Some of them absolutely did. Jor-El, Zod, Lara... it's a slightly commentary on how blissfully ignorant and arrogant some wish to remain in the face of destroying their own world, in my eyes.

Jor-El explaining it in comic format was equally hilarious.

I do wonder if they're going to stay away from Luthor Corp since Luthor would be able to find out who Supes is faster than Lois Lane and so forth. And has been overused in the movies.

They could use the black hole / phantom zone as a bridge to Bizarro (surely there had to be a reason why these other Kryptons were on the ship and not used in the plot at all? :p ), which is pretty much the only sensible equal to Superman with Zod gone. Other enemies depend on Krypton and such. And Darkseid is just too much and too dull. (and Doomsday too wierd).
That said, the codex part pretty much laid the ground for Brainiac to try what Zod failed to do or something along those lines. Blah. Just so long as they ditch the name anyway.

.GqueB.

Banned
oh I love these...

It's mostly about what you look in a movie.

Why did you think Zod was great? Aside from looking like Marcus Phoenix, the character was incredibly empty, ironically he was like this black hole that just sucks the life of everything around him. What do you know about him? What do you know about his relationship with any of those who surround him?
He was a man who cared about his race enough to destroy another. I didn't really care about the people around him. Why would I? I understood his motivations and I thought he played that roll well. They were just there to help him like most minions. Who cares.

Zod essentially only seems to have history with Jor El. Zod is basically bad guy 101, he's about as flat as you can get with a villain.
As long as I understand motivations I'm generally fine. I just hate villains that are just douchey for no real reason. Like Vegeta in DBZ.

How was character development rich? Lois Lane is flat, and her romantic link with Superman is there just because it had to be there, since I mean... What exactly even happened between them to warrant that kiss? At best their relationship reached the same heights that Portman - Thor did in the Thor movie.
They were horny.

Clark's relationship with everyone who surrounds him is based on concept ideas delivered by bad dialog and rushed sequences that suck the meaning out of them.
Let me just refer to the "the world is too big mom" line, I mean... that just came absolutely out of nowhere. The concept was there, but nothing made it warranted for the kid to say those words.
Yea that was super weird.

The relationship he has with his mother is resumed to two brief scenes, the relationship he has with his father is slightly more developed, even if it too is basically in fast forward moment, further hampered down by completely undermining his death through bad editing.
meh

The story is good? Shit is full of plotholes. Why the hell did they send Zod and his friends to the black hole, in a goddamn terraforming ship? That's just the beginning too..
And the OST sucked for this movie, because honestly there wasn't a single moment where I thought the music was elevating what was happening on screen. And that's what matters, it's not whether you like the listening to those pieces, it's about their effect and use on screen.
Was it a terraforming ship? I thought they found one. I might've missed that. I just plain disagree with your comment about the music.

Some of them absolutely did. Jor-El, Zod, Lara... it's a slightly commentary on how blissfully ignorant and arrogant some wish to remain in the face of destroying their own world, in my eyes.

It just went too far in my opinion, and robbed of any conflict Superman might've had between saving Earth or his species. It just made the Kryptonian species highly contradictory.

A much more internal conflict would've been placed on Superman had they made it so that Krypton was on a timeclock by the time their broken army had invaded Earth out of desperation.

Then Superman would actually have to decide whether to save Earth, or save Krypton's civilization. Instead they made it an easy, 2 minute decision where Superman had to decide between villains and innocents. This black and white shit is one of the things I hated about the movie.

oh I love these...

- Enough to destroy another, as if Zod had a hard time deciding that. Yes, I understood his motivations too. A 5 year old could understand Zod, since he's cardboard material.
- They were horny... ok
- Yes that was super weird. Because we knew nothing about his relationship with his mom beforehand. "The world is too big mom", I mean really.... what is the kid a goddamn poet?
- They found the world engine and placed it on the tripod.

And I know this is nitpicking, so I just want to say this didn't really bother me it was just funny but... what was up with Jor El's "memory" hand gestures to open doors?

Felt like Crowe was trolling everybody. He had a new one for each door.

MYE

I don't really understand it either. It's just Sculli saying that crap, to be honest, and others just deferring to his opinion. Returns is dull as fuck from every single conceivable point of view.

Dull as fuck?!

At least it doesnt have a shitty blue filter that mutes all the colors.
Oh and lens flare and lots of excessively bright backdrop lighting. You gotta have those these days.

Superman Returns is the best looking Superman movie yes. Snyder fucked up Man of Steel's look by going with the trendy "bleak/filter" crap that makes no fucking sense in this case.

edit:

Now THIS is fucking dull cinematography

Zabka

It just went too far in my opinion, and robbed of any conflict Superman might've had between saving Earth or his species. It just made the Kryptonian species highly contradictory.

A much more internal conflict would've been placed on Superman had they made it so that Krypton was on a timeclock by the time their broken army had invaded Earth out of desperation.

Then Superman would actually have to decide whether to save Earth, or save Krypton's civilization. Instead they made it an easy, 2 minute decision where Superman had to decide between villains and innocents. This black and white shit is one of the things I hated about the movie.
You would have loved the JJ Abrams script. It's terrible, right up your alley.

JB1981

Honestly I'm sick of seeing those idyllic shots of the Kent farm. They're played out already. I prefer the grounded look of Man of Steel. And I didn't like the art direction behind the Planet. It felt like a set, not a major newspaper in a real city like Donner's Superman or the Daily Bugle in the Spider-Man movies for that matter. Actually it looks like Sydney lol

Raptor

Honestly I'm sick of seeing those idyllic shots of the Kent farm. They're played out already. I prefer the grounded look of Man of Steel. And I didn't like the art direction behind the Planet. It felt like a set, not a major newspaper in a real city like Donner's Superman or the Daily Bugle in the Spider-Man movies for that matter.

Im sick of everything Donner's Superman by now, I wills tick to comic books and MoS from now on.

Reading Secret Identity as we speak.

Personally, even though I think Snyder's biggest failings in this movie are recurrent from his career's previous efforts... I gotta say the movie didn't even get to shine when it comes to visuals.
The aesthetic was unappealing, with an oppressive color palette. There were no moments of awe and beauty. Something that Returns does have... even though I don't like that movie either.

Hell I personally believe that for the movie they were trying to make, they should've just gone with Michael Bay.

Cold and sterile. Fluorescent lights and blue tint. Muted colors
Wait, why is Superman in a SAW movie?

I liked a lot about this movie, but agree with this complaint.

Also, there's so much CGI that everything looks somewhat unreal, even teh real stuff.

MYE

No filter there. That's a set photo.

Actually, yes its blue tinted. Notice how even the warmest of colors feel cold.
Thats what happens when you crank up the blues and greens

The worst part is that many of the majestic shots that your eyes WANT to explore in MoS are interrupted by zooms.

I hated that crap in Battlestar Galactica. That huge movies still use this eyesore camera gimmick absolutely baffles me.

WillyFive

I hated that crap in Battlestar Galactica. That huge movies still use this eyesore camera gimmick absolutely baffles me.

Yeah, I was flabbergasted when they had that in MoS. Why in the world would someone do that? It looks awful and incredibly fake every time, and ruins immersion in the scene.

Yea Zod in this movie is a big improvement on Terrence Stamp in Superman II. Zod had no motivation in that movie other than tyrranical rule. He was a completely one-note villain. At least Goyer's Zod is a somewhat sympathetic character and we can see his plight. He has lost his world and is fulfilling his purpose as he was designed. He also has a much richer connection to Jor-El. Jor-El is also a big improvement and I found his relationship with Kal even more touching (and real) than Donner's Superman.

That is what I didn't like. He does what he does because, "He was born that way." So, in essence, he's nothing more than a robot. I suppose maybe that's the point they wanted in the film, but that kind of throws any real motivations for the character out the window. Zod from part II, we don't get to know a whole lot about because Lester got brought on board and then the camp factor was upped considerably and the back story of what happened between Zod and the council or Zod and Jor-El wasn't told. But at least they worked in revenge as his motivation, and while it's as old as the hills, it's still motivation. It's a human trait and therefore is more relatable than, "I was programmed to do this."

Personally, even though I think Snyder's biggest failings in this movie are recurrent from his career's previous efforts... I gotta say the movie didn't even get to shine when it comes to visuals.
The aesthetic was unappealing, with an oppressive color palette. There were no moments of awe and beauty. Something that Returns does have... even though I don't like that movie either.

Hell I personally believe that for the movie they were trying to make, they should've just gone with Michael Bay.

I believe the polar opposite is true

That is what I didn't like. He does what he does because, "He was born that way." So, in essence, he's nothing more than a robot. I suppose maybe that's the point they wanted in the film, but that kind of throws any real motivations for the character out the window. Zod from part II, we don't get to know a whole lot about because Lester got brought on board and then the camp factor was upped considerably and the back story of what happened between Zod and the council or Zod and Jor-El wasn't told. But at least they worked in revenge as his motivation, and while it's as old as the hills, it's still motivation. It's a human trait and therefore is more relatable than, "I was programmed to do this."

Saw the movie ?

Zods purpose was to defend krypton and its way of life, he took it so seriously he was willing to terraform earth kill all humans to achieve it. When the ships died and he could no longer do it he wanted to take revenge by killing all humans and killing superman in the process because he said its supermans love for humanity which resulted in the destruction of the ships and his crew and subsequently another Krypton

effzee

Again it's just a concept. He was bred for that purpose. Now what? That's it? That's what the character is then, a robot programmed to protect his people through war and death?

He's empty. There's no difference between that, and a guy who wants to rule the universe because he was bred to do so. It's one concept, and they ran with it. He wasn't particularly smart about it, there was no self awareness of any kind, he was essentially Doomsday with speaking ability.

I really don't get what you need here from Zod.

Far from your ordinary villain who is only seeking total world/universal power, Zod is shown to have a purpose and reason. What else could they have done to show his motives?

Honestly I don't get your complaints regarding this. And not only do we need to know something more or deeper about Zod but also his subordinates?

Cliff notes, that's what it all was. For a superman fan, he will relate because he has seen it a thousand times and understands quickly what it means for the character. In the movie though, it was just these rushed isolated scenes that wanted to quickly deliver the big moments that built Clark Kent, or Superman. But I didn't even get to know Clark Kent, it was all just about this mishandled conflict he has with his powers and how he fits in the world. We see these moments, and we get an idea but we never really got to know Clark.

And that's why when he becomes Superman... it just felt like it was going through the motions.

I went with my wife. She knew nothing about Superman, his story, or his comics. She got it. She understood it and felt the scenes were effective. I don't get how you can make that statement. Its a legit complaint, and something you felt didn't work but its not something that non Superman fans couldn't follow or understand.

In my long ass review in the spoiler thread (btw is this now a spoiler thread?) I pointed at the problems I had with the movie. I do feel like the transition from Clark/Superman origins to main plot of the movie jarring. Something is missing there. But whereas you think it sinks the movie , the 2nd half of the movie makes up for it for me.

Well if character development fails, pacing fails.... we look to the plot. And this was just a vanilla alien invasion plot with Superman and his super enemies in it.

As opposed to what? Seems to me like you didn't like the movie and now are just disliking very acceptable things like Zod's motives, the invasion, and the general plot under some category which this movie doesn't fit into.

I believe the polar opposite is true

Saw the movie ?

Zods purpose was to defend krypton and its way of life, he took it so seriously he was willing to terraform earth kill all humans to achieve it. When the ships died and he could no longer do it he wanted to take revenge by killing all humans and killing superman in the process because he said its supermans love for humanity which resulted in the destruction of the ships and his crew and subsequently another Krypton

Yeah? And? That changes not one thing about what I said.

I don't get this. Donner Zod had conquest, then revenge and more conquest, as motivation. Snyder Zod had the protection and continuance of his people as motivation. And you find the Donner version more fleshed out? Really? Donner Zod, while fun, is about as carboard a villain as you can get, and only has Terrance Stamp's awesome swagger to carry it (which he does admirably).

Yeah? And? That changes not one thing about what I said.

Because if he was like a robot he wouldnt think of revenge, he did have free will but like Gattaca showed some people can be created to live a purpose, of course when the purpose is finished, a robot will not seek revenge he will get confused and get destroyed or shut down. Revenge is not a robot emotional response it is a response of someone who can be willed into something else.

Donners zod had the same purpose as snyders except donners zod wanted revenge on jor el while snyders wanted to protect krypton way of life

As opposed to what? Seems to me like you didn't like the movie and now are just disliking very acceptable things like Zod's motives, the invasion, and the general plot under some category which this movie doesn't fit into.

You know, I just can't honestly understand how giving the main villain a simple motive that as far as his character's depiction and development during the movie don't alter anything in comparison to "I just want power" villains.

I mean the only thing it changes is the premise that moves the villain. It becomes something you have to be reminded off, it's not something that served as a basis to develop the character. All it did was justify why Zod is loud and wants us dead.

I don't see what's so hard to grasp, it's an easy thing to understand. Zod is a throwaway villain who's only purpose in this movie was to present a physical challenge to Superman. It could've been a robot programmed to kill Superman, it could've been a raging monster, nothing would've been different in practice.

That's my problem. And I can respect your wife thinking it was all effective and well done, but honestly it doesn't really speak to me because I can find 3 people I know who thought ASM was awesome. The thing is, is this a character that stays with you after you leave the cinema?

I get the feeling that yeah, it all worked for the 2 hours you were in the movie and nothing was too dumb for school, but it's fast food. They feed you a bunch of ideas, jumble them, rush it, and then take their time with the action bits.

You know, SR had moments of genuine humor and I appreciated the pacing way more than in MoS. In fact I think I've come to like SR a bit more over time, though it's still not a very good movie. I feel my opinion on MoS will down down similar to TDKR, it might get worse with every rewatch.

You know, I just can't honestly understand how giving the main villain a simple motive that as far as his character's depiction and development during the movie don't alter anything in comparison to "I just want power" villains.

I mean the only thing it changes is the premise that moves the villain. It becomes something you have to be reminded off, it's not something that served as a basis to develop the character. All it did was justify why Zod is loud and wants us dead.

I don't see what's so hard to grasp, it's an easy thing to understand. Zod is a throwaway villain who's only purpose in this movie was to present a physical challenge to Superman. It could've been a robot programmed to kill Superman, it could've been a raging monster, nothing would've been different in practice.

That's my problem.

Zods purpose as a character was a ultra
Patriotic man of krypton while his purpose in the movie was to give superman a chance to show he humanities protector, the movie only sought to establish supermans status among earth and Zod was a catalyst.

Blader

I don't get this. Donner Zod had conquest, then revenge and more conquest, as motivation. Snyder Zod had the protection and continuance of his people as motivation. And you find the Donner version more fleshed out? Really? Donner Zod, while fun, is about as carboard a villain as you can get, and only has Terrance Stamp's awesome swagger to carry it (which he does admirably).

There was also a very obviously personal dimension to Zod's character in MoS because of his relationship/rivalry with Jor-El. Just that alone goes beyond Zod wanting revenge.

effzee

That's my problem.

You are still not answering what you would have wanted from Zod, or how he compared to the supposed other great representations of comic book villains, fell flat.

Tell me exactly what you would have preferred Zod to be or to do instead of what we got.

I am not a Superman expert so I may be wrong here but the whole Krypton plot, the destruction of the planet, and no one believing Jor El is straight from the source material.

Zods purpose as a character was a ultra
Patriotic man of krypton while his purpose in the movie was to give superman a chance to show he humanities protector, the movie only sought to establish supermans status among earth and Zod was a catalyst.

Exactly, Zod was a stepping stone. That's bad, since he was the main villain of the movie, who could've brought some conflict into Superman. Other than physical.

You are still not answering what you would have wanted from Zod, or how he compared to the supposed other great representations of comic book villains, fell flat.

Tell me exactly what you would have preferred Zod to be or to do instead of what we got.

I wanted Zod to be more self aware, to show an ounce of conflict. I wished he could've brought some philosophical conflict to Superman. At the end of the day I wanted that ending to mean something, and it didn't.
That yell at the end could've meant so much more. Superman's inability to bring both species together, his eternal conflict at killing a man he understood to not be all evil. Instead... man he yelled because he killed. Well fuck him, and fuck his bitch ass because he and his buddy just brought half metropolis down man. It was ridiculous

I am not a Superman expert so I may be wrong here but the whole Krypton plot, the destruction of the planet, and no one believing Jor El is straight from the source material.

Well the movie takes liberties, so why not take ones that will elevate the character?

I just consider the character of Superman a symbol, and his humanity is what offsets his godlike powers. So in my mind, when you are telling a Superman story at this scale, you want to really presents scenarios and opposing forces that allow him to show that.

I mean the church scene? Come on man. hugh

MYE

You know, SR had moments of genuine humor and I appreciated the pacing way more than in MoS. In fact I think I've come to like SR a bit more over time, though it's still not a very good movie. I feel my opinion on MoS will down down similar to TDKR, it might get worse with every rewatch.

This is EXACTLY what's happening to me lol
I never really hated the movie though. But I did one very stupid thing back then. I kinda went with the crowd on hating this flick because idunno, I was young and new to the internet-geek thing and kinda took shit most people said for granted.
There are things I didnt like. The real-estate plot is not a good one and Lex Luthor is just a shit villain all around. But the movie was fine and looked great.

I though Bosworth was fine, and I have no issues with super son either. I dont really read comics so this "travesty" Singer commited with the SM mythos was completely lost on me.

I think I'm gonna go search for a good deal on the bluray

JB1981

I still have no idea why people have a problem with Clark turning to the Church for answers. He grew up in the South, people go to church there. A lot.

KalBalboa

Banned
I still have no idea why people have a problem with Clark turning to the Church for answers. He grew up in the South, people go to church there. A lot.

That's a weird issue to take with the movie. It helped illustrate how genuinely lost he was, but seeing him unable to find conventional wisdom through the church but forging new territory with the minister on their mutual understandings of their roles in the world was still pretty strong.

I wish it was a little less nail-on-the-head, though.

Where did I say I found the Donner/Lester version fleshed out? In fact, I stated that they never got into his back story. All I said was that new Zod is, for all intents and purposes, a robot.

Top Bottom