• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

That's a weird issue to take with the movie. It helped illustrate how genuinely lost he was, but seeing him unable to find conventional wisdom through the church but forging new territory with the minister on their mutual understandings of their roles in the world was still pretty strong.

I wish it was a little less nail-on-the-head, though.

That's the problem, the scene was just blunt and had no sort of elegance as far as what it was trying to portray. It's like the scene didn't earn itself.

My problem isn't that Clark Kent went to church to find strength and answers since that only humanizes him. My problem isn't about the idea behind it, it was the execution that was bad. Like really bad.

Because if he was like a robot he wouldnt think of revenge, he did have free will but like Gattaca showed some people can be created to live a purpose, of course when the purpose is finished, a robot will not seek revenge he will get confused and get destroyed or shut down. Revenge is not a robot emotional response it is a response of someone who can be willed into something else.

Donners zod had the same purpose as snyders except donners zod wanted revenge on jor el while snyders wanted to protect krypton way of life

Zod in II had revenge as a motive. New Zod did not. He was programmed to protect Krypton and that's all he is doing.

JB1981

Zod in II had revenge as a motive. New Zod did not. He was programmed to protect Krypton and that's all he is doing.

"Revenge" for what? Being imprisoned by Kal's father? All Zod wanted to do was rule. Rule everyone .. Krypton, Earth, the world. Whoever. His motivation is all surface and the character is nothing but an archetype.

JB1981

Can't believe how the analogy simply flies over your head. I understand you love the movie, but come on.

Nothing is flying over my head. I understand that Jesus framed in the background is symbolism for Superman being a messianic figure. I didn't find it to be as on-the-nose as you say .. nothing as on-the-nose as spider-man 2 for example.

Where did I say I found the Donner/Lester version fleshed out? In fact, I stated that they never got into his back story. All I said was that new Zod is, for all intents and purposes, a robot.

Revenge as a motive being preferable to protecting one's people as a motive is baffling to me.

Zod's shown to be passionate, not a robot.

Solo

Nothing is flying over my head. I understand that Jesus framed in the background is symbolism for Superman being a messianic figure. I didn't find it to be as on-the-nose as you say .. nothing as on-the-nose as spider-man 2 for example.

How about after Jor-El tells Clark
he can save everyone (which he pretty much does the exact opposite of lolz) and Clark does a 10/10 Jesus-on-the-crucifux
pose?

rekameohs

Banned
How about after Jor-El tells Clark
he can save everyone (which he pretty much does the exact opposite of lolz) and Clark does a 10/10 Jesus-on-the-crucifux
pose?
Or how about when they specifically call out that Clark is 33 years old?

I did one very stupid thing back then. I kinda went with the crowd on hating this flick because idunno, I was young and new to the internet-geek thing and kinda took shit most people said for granted.

I wish more people would admit this kind of shit more often. Myself included. People don't do it enough. People act like changing your mind or admitting you had the wrong call is equal to slamming your dick in a door. And all that happens is - you admitted you did something that millions of people do every day: Kinda fucked up a little.

And it's not as if we fucked up over something IMPORTANT. We fucked up on having an opinion on a MOVIE. If its' going to be easy to admit that we didn't think our shit through, that we just kinda rolled with what sounded good at the time, doing it over something as disposable as popular culture should be a relatively easy call.

Doesn't happen nearly enough.

"Revenge" for what? Being imprisoned by Kal's father? All Zod wanted to do was rule. Rule everyone .. Krypton, Earth, the world. Whoever. His motivation is all surface and the character is nothing but an archetype.

And Zod in this movie isn't? lol

It's all singular themes portrayed in a singular black or white manner. Why is "Preserve species" any deeper than "Rule All"? It's only so if it's portrayed as such.

The theme being all they have, then they are equal in being bland two dimensional characters that could be replaced by any other kind of physical foe. Zod in this movie doesn't present any sort of character that could be considered deeper than the one ine Donner's version.

They don't bring different questions, don't bring a conflict to the hero that is any different or executed any different, they are just monsters for the hero to defeat. A lack of moral conflict is presented to the audiences you know? I'm not allowed in MOS to understand Zod in any other way than "Dude's simply gonna kill us all to save his species, no questions asked.". That's just sunday morning cartoon shit man. No different than "Dude's simply gonna take over earth to satisfy his power hunger, no questions asked".

It's like you change the words, but the result is the same.

Yes, he says it specifically when he finds out who "Superman" is. And then the scene ends with Hackman yelling, "Revenge!" The ruling stuff is all the camp stuff that comes along the way. I'm not saying either version of Zod is better. I'm just saying all this talk about new Zod supposedly being so much deeper isn't really the case. They're equally flimsy IMO. It's just that revenge is a classic motivation that most people can relate to.

Ye Gods Sculli.

I can see being disappointed by MoS. But Returns is much much worse. That is the perfect example of a movie losing the point. The most important scene in Returns is that plane catch. Yes it has better camera work than MoS... by a lot actually, and great direction, two things all but nonexistent in MoS, but it's hurt by lackluster pacing, a terrible plot right out of Lois and Clark (a show that has frog eating clones), and none of the chemistry or charisma of the movies it takes inspiration from.

MoS has a much much better plot and character development for all three of the main cast. Clark is a young superpowered alien paranoid.
Part of him fighting his destiny because he let one of the most important people in his life die.
He'd never really been in a fight, and definitely never with those that are his equals. So his noticeable trepidation about the entire thing makes perfect sense to me. The attraction of Lois to Superman is actually realistic. She knows both portions of the man that make up the Superman. Infinitely better than any scene in Returns on the subject.

I mean hell... Returns manages to make Kevin Spacey seem like a bad actor.

And don't even get me started on the Superkid.

MoS isn't the best Superman movie. It fucks up way too much to be that. But Returns is far worse. No matter how great the camera work is, or how bad the same is in MoS.

MoS has a well directed visual spectacle, much better plotting, and infinitely better acting. Even with Shannon hamming up every scene he appeared in.

I'm not saying either version of Zod is better. I'm just saying all this talk about new Zod supposedly being so much deeper isn't really the case.

Yeah in terms of depth, the new Zod only has one thing over the original; that being he actually feels some remorse for his actions(Or one of them anyway). New Zod mentions how
killing Jor-El
actually haunts him. Donner Zod gave no fucks about his actions.

.GqueB.

Banned
Yeah? And? That changes not one thing about what I said.

Yes it does. Even talking about it simply, his mission was over, he failed so he should have quit but he didn't. Even on that base level he was more than a "robot". He was a real character with real motivations.

This doesn't make sense.

Dull as fuck?!

At least it doesnt have a shitty blue filter that mutes all the colors.
Oh and lens flare and lots of excessively bright backdrop lighting. You gotta have those these days.

Superman Returns is the best looking Superman movie yes. Snyder fucked up Man of Steel's look by going with the trendy "bleak/filter" crap that makes no fucking sense in this case.

edit:

Now THIS is fucking dull cinematography

didn't look like that in my theater. Rfeturns looks like most of it was filmed in a back lot.
Then ignore it and look at these

Same thing

Yes it does. Even talking about it simply, his mission was over, he failed so he should have quit but he didn't. Even on that base level he was more than a "robot". He was a real character with real motivations.

Yes... I noticed how big of a change "I'm gonna kill you all" was to "I'm gonna kill you all" at the end.

It just showed how deep the character was. Much more than a robot for certain, since a robot would've stopped after he had failed. Imagine how cool though it would've been if the robot was unstoppable and the only way Superman had of stopping him was to end all Kryptonians? That would've brought an interesting question to Superman.

Maybe they should try a robot in the sequel.

JB1981

Yes, he says it specifically when he finds out who "Superman" is. And then the scene ends with Hackman yelling, "Revenge!" The ruling stuff is all the camp stuff that comes along the way. I'm not saying either version of Zod is better. I'm just saying all this talk about new Zod supposedly being so much deeper isn't really the case. They're equally flimsy IMO. It's just that revenge is a classic motivation that most people can relate to.

I personally found this version of Zod to be an improvement. I never said he was DEEP or a work of literary genius, just said he's an improvement on the Zod we got in Donner's film. In fact, I think there are many other things that are an improvement as well.

vio

I think that Michael Shanon is really good actor, but the lines writen for him were not that good.
His last "I WILL FIND HIM!" was enough damn it.

.GqueB.

Banned
Yes... I noticed how big of a change "I'm gonna kill you all" was to "I'm gonna kill you all" at the end.

It just showed how deep the character was. Much more than a robot for certain, since a robot would've stopped after he had failed. Imagine how cool though it would've been if the robot was unstoppable and the only way Superman had of stopping him was to end all Kryptonians? That would've brought an interesting question to Superman.

What exactly are you people asking for here? For me, an effective villain has a base "want" or "goal". Something that I can latch onto so I at the very least know the what and the why. Having some well thought out backstory that explains all motives can be poorly handled. Look at Joker vs Talia in the Batman movies. Talia had aaaaallllll this backstory and she was still completely ineffective as a villain. I didn't give a shit. Joker had ZERO backstory and he was a much more effective villain because I saw his "want" and could immediately get behind it and root for/against him because it was very clear. He was about as cardboard as you could get. Sometimes filling your story with "stuff" doesn't work and furthermore, sometimes it isn't even needed.

He wanted to save Krypton. Superman had the key to that. Superman wouldn't give it to him. He wanted to kill Superman. Superman stops his plan. Zod get's pissed and they proceed to destroy Metropolis. I don't need much more than that.

Sounds more like a robot going into meltdown mode if you ask me. And I wouldn't call it a "mission" either. He saw it as a duty, not a mission. That's what he was made for.

yay, brainiac-metallo two-for-one twist!

Directed by you know who (twist: not that guy).

I don't think the villain needs to "change" or to have an arc, necessarily; we just need to understand his motivations clearly, and understand exactly why, from his perspective, he feels he is right.

Take Khan. He doesn't undergo a character change, but is a great villain. We understand his motivations, we see his anger, his heartache, his pecs, and his desire for revenge, because he is given the time needed to build his character.

I think Shannon did a fine job with the material he was given; however, compared to a villain like Khan, it felt like Zod had a sliver of screentime. We have several instances where his motivations are stated and glimpses into his psyche, but the movie feels like it isn't really interested in developing that or exploring his character. We get shades of a genocidal monster, as well as his love for Krypton and his people, but they feel like more of an afterthought. I really wanted to see more of Zod.

I don't think the villain needs to "change" or to have an arc, necessarily; we just need to understand his motivations clearly, and understand exactly why, from his perspective, he feels he is right.

Take Khan. He doesn't undergo a character change, but is a great villain. We understand his motivations, we see his anger, his heartache, his pecs, and his desire for revenge, because he is given the time needed to build his character.

I think Shannon did a fine job with the material he was given; however, compared to a villain like Khan, it felt like Zod had a sliver of screentime. We have several instances where his motivations are stated and glimpses into his psyche, but the movie feels like it isn't really interested in developing that or exploring his character. We get shades of a genocidal monster, as well as his love for Krypton and his people, but they feel like more of an afterthought. I really wanted to see more of Zod.

I can see that, but the movie was pretty crowded as it was. I wouldn't want to have given up any of Clark for more Zod.

Thye could have cut all of the Daily Planet crew outside of Lois, though. But they barely have any screentime as it is.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
didn't look like that in my theater. Rfeturns looks like most of it was filmed in a back lot.

Just out of curiosity, but when was the last time you watched Superman Returns? I'm not sure you remember it very well. There are a lot of valid criticisms to be made about SR, but that's just ridiculous.

What exactly are you people asking for here? For me, an effective villain has a base "want" or "goal". Something that I can latch onto so I at the very least know the what and the why. Having some well thought out backstory that explains all motives can be poorly handled. Look at Joker vs Talia in the Batman movies. Talia had aaaaallllll this backstory and she was still completely ineffective as a villain. I didn't give a shit. Joker had ZERO backstory and he was a much more effective villain because I saw his "want" and could immediately get behind it and root for/against him because it was very clear. He was about as cardboard as you could get. Sometimes filling your story with "stuff" doesn't work and furthermore, sometimes it isn't even needed .

What are you talking about fillin up story? And the fact you even tried to compare him to Joker is almost offensive.
Joker was funny, he was violent, he lied/or not about his past twice and the relationship he had with Batman developed along with the movie, as did his expression on his views of the world. The character just came to life with each scene that followed. He was baiting and switching on people...etc The audience wanted to see more of him you know, there was something appealing about him.

Zod has nothing like that. Zod was just this dudebro that was going to kill everyone no fucks given, no questions made.
All you need from a villain is a "goal", well good for you my man. That's every villain ever. Does anybody know a Villain who has no goal? Just walks around and casually destroys stuff and shit.

I'm glad for you though, it certainly widens the range of stories you'll like. Or not I don't know.

.GqueB.

Banned
What are you talking about fillin up story? And the fact you even tried to compared to Joker is almost offensive.
Joker was funny, he was violent, he lied/or not about his past twice and the relationship he had with Batman developed along with the movie, as did his expression on his views of the world.

The character just came to life with each scene that followed. He was baiting and switching people... Zod has nothing like that. Zod was just this dudebro that was going to kill everyone no fucks given, no questions made.
All you need from a villain is a "goal", well good for you my man. That's every villain ever. Does anybody know a Villain who has no goal? Just walks around and casually destroys stuff and shit.

I'm glad for you though, it certainly widens the range of stories you'll like. Or not I don't know.

He simply had a series of plans that he carried out. His "views" didn't change. He lied about his past so that makes him a good character? His violence and comedy made him more fleshed out? LMAO

C'mooonnnnn... c'maaaaaaaaannnnnnnn

And I should have said a "clear" want or goal. Which every villain certainly does nawt have.

He simply had a series of plans that he carried out. His "views" didn't change. He lied about his past so that makes him a good character? His violence and comedy made him more fleshed out? LMAO

C'mooonnnnn...

I reference little things and you simply try to discredit them with LMAO which is incredibly mature on you.
Joker had more screen time, we got to learn more about him. He changes throughout the movie. He actually has a relationship with Batman that is developed along the movie, AND changes. He's not a simple stupid empty character like Zod.

Not only was Joker a much better written character, he was 10 times more compelling. Or don't you understand that?
Because if you don't understand how Joker makes Zod look like a 5 year old wrote him, then I got nothing else to say man.

G-Fex

I reference little things and you simply try to discredit them with LMAO which is incredibly mature on you.
Joker had more screen time, we got to learn more about him. He changes throughout the movie. He actually has a relationship with Batman that is developed along the movie, AND changes. He's not a simple stupid empty character like Zod.

Not only was Joker a much better written character, he was 10 times more compelling. Or don't you understand that?
Because if you don't understand how Joker makes Zod look like a 5 year old wrote him, then I got nothing else to say man.

Sounds to me like you just want every villain to be joker.

I wonder how some of you watch movies at all with no apparent suspension of belief. Like, not even a little bit. I have never seen so many far reaching arguments against a movie.

G-Fex

Comic book movies? Loki, Ras Al Ghul, Magneto... just from the top of my head.

Loki just wanted to rule the world for no reason. Just to rule. Probably cause he's mad at daddy Odin and brother.

Ras just wants to destroy gotham cause he doesn't like it. Pressing the reset button.

Magneto just wants to wipe out the human race and leave only mutants.

Top Bottom