• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

Eidan

Lane was supposed to be a Pulitzer Prize winning journalist. I liked that they cast an actress that I could believe had been working in the field long enough to have plausibly won a Pulitzer.

He does tell some people to go inside, because it is not safe. I think before fight with Faora. Combination of Collateral damage and the fact that Supes led Zod to earth is a huge stupid fuck up. I wonder what a hell was Goyer smoking.

I'd say this is all squarely on Snyder. The script doesn't dictate buildings falling like dominoes, that's a director thing.

Vice

Lane was supposed to be a Pulitzer Prize winning journalist. I liked that they cast an actress that I could believe had been working in the field long enough to have plausibly won a Pulitzer.

It's plausible. People have won a Pulitzer at the age of 21 before during their first couple of years.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
"The world doesn't need Superman", dat slogan.

Like this:

WhytheWorldDoesntNeedSupermanReturn.jpg

LOL! :D

Don't forget that scene where she climbs into an ice cave overlooking the ocean in below freezing temperature and also she drinks whiskey fast, because she is tough.

Eidan

It's plausible. People have won a Pulitzer at the age of 21 before during their first couple of years.

True. And the movie never says when she won, so she still could have won at a very young age.

I guess all I'm really saying is that I appreciate that they decided to cast an older actress in the role of their veteran journalist.

Fair enough. I'll cede that the movie should have shown Superman making a greater effort to contain the destruction.

All that destruction does set the movie up well for a sequel with Luthor though.

Its going to set up great for the sequel where luthors argument against superman and motivations for fighting him are actually going to be correct

george_us

Guess we just have to agree to disagree.

I did really like how super powered the kryptonians felt. Faora decimating the soldiers in smallville was so cool. I kinda wish the movie could've been a little more violent tho. One thing the movie Immortals did right was when a god punched a mortal, they basically just exploded. Would've been cool to see the same thing here, although I totally understand why they didnt
Didn't the
big Kryptonian dude basically explode the pilot when he ripped him out and destroyed the jet?
I thought that was pretty cool.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Fair enough. I'll cede that the movie should have shown Superman making a greater effort to contain the destruction.

All that destruction does set the movie up well for a sequel with Luthor though.

Yes, I will agree with you 110% there, and I really hope that's what Snyder was preparing for (ie: the script was inentionally lackluster). If MoS2 has Luthor utilizing everything I disliked about MoS1 against Superman, and using it well, then I'd forgive everything and consider MoS1 + MoS2 just one very long movie.

Zabka

Then that shows writing that contradicts the character's motives. I agree there are cases in the movie where he couldn't have saved lots of people, but there are almost as many where he could have prevented it or tried to take the fight elsewhere. .

This has to be the cheesiest criticism of the movie. Zod came to Metropolis to kill people. Superman saying "Try and catch me, Zod!" and flying off would just result in more dead people.

This has to be the cheesiest criticism of the movie. Zod came to Metropolis to kill people. Superman saying "Try and catch me, Zod!" and flying off would just result in more dead people.

He doesn't have say that,
but he could have simply not crashed him through building in the first place, or at least not started it.
After all he's supposed to be a heroic character. Unless of course this just isn't him. That's not the main issue with the movie for me anyways. Forgiving all the mass murdering, the movie was over indulgent with it's fighting to the point it gets old. Besides other things.

We're on this destruction shit again! OKAY. Lets' do it.

I'm just linking to this post I JUST made in the spoiler thread, because a) Spoiler thread, and b) I'd rather not have to redact everything behind black bars.

Anyway, having seen the movie twice (and chunks of both fights multiple times now) I'm pretty safe in saying that the number of people Clark actually hurts through his own direct actions is nowhere near as big as the prevailing narrative in pop-culture media and it's messageboard/twitter trickledown is making it sound.

Plus there's the whole "he actually saved the world" part that nobody wants to give him credit for, which is weird, but okay.

Zabka

He doesn't have say that,
but he could have simply not crashed him through building in the first place, or at least not started it.
After all he's supposed to be a heroic character. Unless of course this just isn't him. That's not the main issue with the movie for me anyways. Forgiving all the mass murdering, the movie was over indulgent with it's fighting to the point it gets old. Besides other things.

There were two fights that last like 14 minutes total. It's really not that much.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
God damn I really didn't notice this in the film, sure looks like they pulled a mini cgi moment to honor Reeve or Cavill is actually a shape shifter. For one split second it looks like Reeve at least to my eyes.

kLTGf0B.gif

I'm just linking to this post I JUST made in the spoiler thread, because a) Spoiler thread, and b) I'd rather not have to redact everything behind black bars.

Anyway, having seen the movie twice (and chunks of both fights multiple times now) I'm pretty safe in saying that the number of people Clark actually hurts through his own direct actions is nowhere near as big as the prevailing narrative in pop-culture media and it's messageboard/twitter trickledown is making it sound.

Plus there's the whole "he actually saved the world" part that nobody wants to give him credit for, which is weird, but okay.

True. I complained about the possibility of killing thousands, but it wasn't really my main issue.

I suppose they'll lower the stakes in the sequel, right? It's not like they could be higher. This movie makes it hard for me to picture a sequel.

There were two fights that last like 14 minutes total. It's really not that much.

Maybe, I have to see it again to really make up my mind.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.

haha I had a whole rant about that typed up this morning, but decided against posting it since it's a waste of time here.

fallingdove

Not to mention, having now seen the movie three times, I am convinced that Snyder and Goyer were attempting to follow the end to end story of the Mission and Ministry of Jesus Christ, even through the apocalypse(the mass destruction of Metropolis). I can see what they were trying to do, I think that it just did not resonate with people the way that Snyder and Goyer were hoping it would.

Matrix

They didn't CGI his face.

I read the article. Cavill doesn't look like Reeve so for him to even look like him that much for a split second is kinda creepy imo.

I mean Routh was cast to be him and doesn't even come close to that split second of looking like the spitting image of him.

It's creepy and cool at the same time.

The violence/spectacle has to be pointed inward. You can't really go any bigger (at least until the 3rd) so you have to a) make it personal and b) make it CREATIVE. The action has to be a puzzle our hero needs to solve. Put boundaries on the action and have the characters figure out on the fly (heh) how to work within those boundaries.

I'm still thinking Luthor secretly funds the tech that makes Metallo a reality, with John Corben as an angry, vengeance filled survivor of the gravity weapon Zod used before Clark could finish his job in India.

Third movie: Brainiac/Luthor team-up.

Eidan

Incredible breakdown.

Toa TAK

Banned

Great post.

I just hope people don't ignore it the next time the "destruction" topic come up.

God damn I really didn't notice this in the film, sure looks like they pulled a mini cgi moment to honor Reeve or Cavill is actually a shape shifter. For one split second it looks like Reeve at least to my eyes.

kLTGf0B.gif

Yep. I let out a muffled 'Christopher Reeves??' in the theatre at that part.

To be fair, I'm not saying there isn't huge amounts of destruction. There's a lot of it. A lot of imaginary, unseen people DO die in this movie, as well as a bunch of nameless extras caught under the Gravity Weapon when it first fires.

I'm also not saying the substitution of large-scale destruction for personal, actual stakes (see: Avengers, Star Trek into Darkness, etc) is a good thing.

I'm just saying the amount of death/destruction people are specifically attributing to Clark is pretty disproportionate. Calling him a "mass-murderer" is vast overstatement, but it's becoming codified into general fact the further the discussion on this movie goes forward, and it completely ignores the fact he did actually save the whole world.

Matrix

BobbyRoberts , great breakdown. I don't even have to post when you can type up the same stuff I'm thinking so much better.

THANK YOU. This has to be one of the most ridiculous, annoying and petty criticisms of a film I've seen recently.

kLTGf0B.gif

It was certainly evocative of this image, which i think was intentional

KOJxrig.jpg

inm8num2

That's some high quality research, BobbyRoberts. The destruction caused by Superman directly isn't as bad as the buzz makes it seem.

I think the issue people had with the movie was that while Superman saved the world, given the heap of destruction caused as a result of his presence it's debatable whether the world was better off with Superman in the first place. You could argue that Zod would have found and selected Earth as the new home planet for Krypton, but Kal-El's presence led him there.

So we shouldn't be mad at Kal-El. We should be mad at Jor-El. :)

Raptor

I said this in one thread but can't remember wich one.

I said "He saved the entire freaking planet" or something of that nature.

:)

Blader

kLTGf0B.gif

That would be a really weird homage if true.

Shaanyboi

Banned
The violence/spectacle has to be pointed inward. You can't really go any bigger (at least until the 3rd) so you have to a) make it personal and b) make it CREATIVE. The action has to be a puzzle our hero needs to solve. Put boundaries on the action and have the characters figure out on the fly (heh) how to work within those boundaries.

I'm still thinking Luthor secretly funds the tech that makes Metallo a reality, with John Corben as an angry, vengeance filled survivor of the gravity weapon Zod used before Clark could finish his job in India.

Third movie: Brainiac/Luthor team-up.

I agree.

Matrix

there saying this the Reeve frame

cD4AX7m.gif

Cavill looks weird fo sho

You can tell though that something is going on with his eye sockets, cheekbones, lips, nose bridge. It just makes him look like Reeve. Sure it's the lighting/effects but still...

Just
m423oW9.jpg
all around.

edit- I also see Reeve at the start of the gif I posted. Ugh creepy, now I'm seeing shit.

Fatboy:MoS::Sculli:John Carter

How much cheddar are y'all bros makin'?

If Sculli had ever opened his review with "John Carter is about as good as a Star Wars prequel" that'd be one thing. But he somehow thinks its better than that, which is weird to me, but the world don't move, to the beat of just one drum. What might be right for you, may not be right for some.

A MAN IS BORN, HE'S A MAN OF STEEL
AND ALONG COMES ZOD, HE'S GOT A LOT OF ANGRY FEELS

Seriously though - I still think Donner's film is the best live-action version of Superman there is, even with all the ridiculousness and corniness involved. Calling Man of Steel "The best of all the Star Wars prequels" isn't exactly a huge thumb up. It's like a B- grade, a 7.1 out of 10.

I think there are a lot of parallels between what Man of Steel and John Carter, though. I just think Man of Steel manages to come out on the positive end of those comparisons way more than it doesnt.

Top Bottom