• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

Wait, there was a Jenny? I have to admit, I'm starting to forget HUGE chunks of this film - so bored by it was I.

Edit: Oh, wait. That was the chick stuck under the rubble?

Raptor

I really hope there are some deleted scenes from the Daily Planet. I'm still trying to understand why I was meant to give a shit about Jenny when I know absolutely nothing about her before that scene.

You mean you didn't give a shit about a person being left behind to die?

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Wait, there was a Jenny? I have to admit, I'm starting to forget HUGE chunks of this film - so bored by it was I.

tumblr_mp1r0vKJFE1qcga5ro1_500.gif

Raptor

Sup Sculli, I find very funny that you say you were bored by it and then go and say Returns is awesome.

Don't know man lols.

It's crazy to me that in a movie where the first scene with Clark features him saving people from a disaster, there is a debate about him not being heroic enough.

That scene was fine. It is too bad he never seemed to give as much of a shit later on in the film.

You mean you didn't give a shit about a person being left behind to die?

Haha come on. Loads of people were dying. But the amount of screen time she got is only deserved after the character is established.

It's crazy to me that in a movie where the first scene with Clark features him saving people from a disaster, there is a debate about him not being heroic enough.

It really is a senseless debate. A guy who doesn't know the limits of his powers is letting loose for the first time against a super powered alien general who wants to destroy humanity, and people are shocked that he's just slightly rough and a bit reckless in trying to put a stop to the villain? Clark is shown to be upstanding citizen throughout the film. From
saving the guys on the rig, to defending the server at the bar, to giving himself up to Zod for the human race, and snapping Zod's neck to stop him from committing further bloodshed.

Sup Sculli, I find very funny that you say you were bored by it and then go and say Returns is awesome.

Don't know man lols.

Returns isn't awesome. It's good. I was invested in the characters in Returns and wasn't invested with anybody in MoS. It's that simple, really.

I know he saves the world in the end. No one questions that. It just feels like he couldn't care less about how many eggs he cracks as he does it.

Superman himself explodes with zod in one building when they collide, zod throws superman through 8 buildings and zod heat vision collapses another, so either he can stop zod or snyder has to hand hold viewer into showing shot of supes saving 2 people while zod kills more

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Seriously more Returns talk again. Sculli just create a new OT for Returns and why the world still needs that Superman.

SOMEBODY SAVVVVVVVVVVVE MEEEEEEE

Superman himself explodes with zod in one building when they collide, zod throws superman through 8 buildings and zod heat vision collapses another, so either he can stop zod or snyder has to hand hold viewer into showing shot of supes saving 2 people while zod kills more

No, all Snyder and co have to do is show that Superman is worried -
whether he can stop Zod fighting him or not. Just show that he's worried about all the destruction they're causing. It's 9/11 x 100 going on around them and Superman doesn't bat an eye. It's very distressing. We understand that Zod isn't exactly going to agree to stop fighting and follow Superman somewhere else. But show me that Superman recognizes that leveling many city blocks is life-threatening to the humans he apparently cares so much about.

whether he can stop Zod fighting him or not. Just show that he's worried about all the destruction they're causing. It's 9/11 x 100 going on around them and Superman doesn't bat an eye. It's very distressing. We understand that Zod isn't exactly going to agree to stop fighting and follow Superman somewhere else. But show me that Superman recognizes that level many city blocks is life-threatening to the humans he apparently cares so much about.

Thank you.

I understand that this is a serious issue with some people (including myself), but to others it is not an issue at all.

whether he can stop Zod fighting him or not. Just show that he's worried about all the destruction they're causing. It's 9/11 x 100 going on around them and Superman doesn't bat an eye. It's very distressing. We understand that Zod isn't exactly going to agree to stop fighting and follow Superman somewhere else. But show me that Superman recognizes that level many city blocks is life-threatening to the humans he apparently cares so much about.

Of course he is, or he would have joined Zod When Zod asks him . When 9/11 x 100 was going on superman was
in indonesia destroying the machine causing it, what were you watching ??!!

JB1981

whether he can stop Zod fighting him or not. Just show that he's worried about all the destruction they're causing. It's 9/11 x 100 going on around them and Superman doesn't bat an eye. It's very distressing. We understand that Zod isn't exactly going to agree to stop fighting and follow Superman somewhere else. But show me that Superman recognizes that leveling many city blocks is life-threatening to the humans he apparently cares so much about.

What
about snapping his neck
. Did that show he cared ?

What
about snapping his neck
. Did that show he cared ?

Like I've already said - that scene plays as hilarious because three people all of a sudden matter when thousands before didn't. Why didn't he resolve to do something like that earlier given how many thousands would have been dying in an ever-escalating number the longer their fight went on? Were these people relatives of his?

But show me that Superman recognizes that leveling many city blocks is life-threatening to the humans he apparently cares so much about.

Clark isn't leveling any city blocks.

Clark doesn't level anything in that fight.

Zod doesn't level anything once Clark shows up (except maybe that empty office building)

Like I've already said - that scene plays as hilarious because three people all of a sudden matter when thousands before didn't.

You mean like singlehandedly destroying the World Engine?

Why do you think he did that?

Here's the problem with these complaints. Not that they're not understandable. They are. It's that the level of unnecessary exaggeration that goes along with them tends to dull the points being made.

But then again - unnecessary exaggeration seems appropriate for the unnecessary destruction. Or rather, I'd imagine that's the mindset, there.

i forgot how cool blade 2's soundtrack was. too bad they had such a lame villain. should have just made donnie yen and a bunch of asian ninja vampires the bad guys instead.

Like I've already said - that scene plays as hilarious because three people all of a sudden matter when thousands before didn't. Why didn't he resolve to do something like that earlier given how many thousands would have been dying in an ever-escalating number the longer their fight went on? Were these people relatives of his?

There is a deleted flashback scene at that point where we see that family took Clark in and gave him food after he ran off from the fishing boat incident.

i forgot how cool blade 2's soundtrack was. too bad they had such a lame villain. should have just made donnie yen and a bunch of asian ninja vampires the bad guys instead.

Gonna disagree on the villain part. Nomak was cool. Better than Frost. And anyone was better than Dracula and Parker Posey in the third one.

But they should have used Donnie Yen more.

Raptor

Really weird sense of humour you got there.

;)

JB1981

What thousands of people are you referring to? I didn't see thousands of people die as a result of the two of them fighting.

I don't need a reason to care about it as a human being man.

Maybe Im being naive here?

This sounds mean, but yeah, maybe you are. Screenwriting 101 is getting the audience to care about your characters in an organic way, which is typically more than just having them exist. Otherwise, it's trite or at worst, manipulative.

What thousands of people are you referring to? I didn't see thousands of people die as a result of the two of them fighting.

I didn't see anyone die on 9/11, either.

Raptor

Nomak was cool man, or you mean the actor?

This sounds mean, but yeah, maybe you are. Screenwriting 101 is getting the audience to care about your characters in an organic way, which is typically more than just having them exist. Otherwise, it's trite or at worst, manipulative.

Yeah, I guess.

Better than Frost.

nononononono. deacon frost was a glorious euro-trash vampire. he's one of the big reasons why i think blade 1 is superior.

i'm not a fan of luke goss when he speaks. he kind of dragged down hellboy 2 for me as well. i wonder if Del Toro made the Hobbit would he have cast him in a major role.

@Raptor: both, imo.

I didn't see anyone die on 9/11, either.

1 building collapse by zod in fight, dozens by world engine. What caused more damage

Top Bottom